Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Track Talk: One Hit (To The Body)
Posted by: René ()
Date: August 26, 2013 11:54

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

One Hit (To The Body)
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards / Ron Wood)

RPM Studios, New York City, New York, US, July 16 - August 17 &
September 10 - October 15, 1985 and Right Track Studios, New York City,
New York, US, November 15 - December 5, 1985

Mick Jagger - lead vocals, backing vocals
Keith Richards - acoustic guitar, electric guitar, backing vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Ron Wood - acoustic guitar, electric slide guitar, backing vocals
Jimmy Page - electric guitar
Chuck Leavell - keyboards
Bobby Womack, Don Covay, Patti Scialfa & Beverly D’Angelo - backing vocals

You fell out of the clear blue sky, to the darkness below
The smell of your flesh excites me, my blood starts to flow, so help me God
You burst in, in a blaze of light, you unzippered the dark
One kiss took my breath away, one look lights up the stars
And it's one hit to the body, it comes straight from the heart
One hit to the body, sure went straight to the mark, so help me God
One more from the body, one more straight from the heart, yeah
It's one shot when you love me, one shot when you leave me
I don't need no security, I just need me some peace
And it's one hit to the body, it comes straight from the heart
One voice calls out my name, it sure went straight to the mark
One punch and you knocked me down, you tore my defences apart
One round took me out of the game, you did me some permanent harm
It took just one hit, it took just one hit, it ain't enough for me, it ain't enough for me
It ain't enough for me, it's hurting me, baby

Oh, your love is just sweet addiction, I can't clean you out of my veins
It's a life long addiction, that has damaged my brain
It took just one hit to the body, to tear my defences apart
One hit to the body, sure went straight to the mark, yeah
One hit to the body, and it comes straight from the heart
One hit to the body, to the body, to the body, comes straight from the heart

One more from the body, one more straight from the heart, straight from the heart
One more from the body, one more straight from the heart, straight from the heart
That's all it took, that's all it took, just one hit straight from the heart
So help me, so help me, so help me God, so help me, so help me now
One more from the body, one more straight from the heart, straight from the heart…

Produced by The Glimmer Twins & Steve Lilywhite

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Dirty Work” LP
(CBS 86321) UK, March 24, 1986

Re: Track Talk: One Hit (To The Body)
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 26, 2013 11:57

Love it to death.
a rare 'high' in an otherwise gloomy era.
"You unzippered the dark..."
Wish I'd already seen it live;
hope to do so, eventually.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-26 12:25 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 26, 2013 12:01

Jesus Christ! eye popping smiley A track from poor Dirty Work. How many posts will not this bring us.....

2 1 2 0

Date: August 26, 2013 12:28

Excellent track, albeit a little too slickly produced.

Keith's guitar is nothing but brilliant.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 26, 2013 12:33

That's not Beverly from the Griswolds, or is it ??

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: August 26, 2013 12:39

a great song, with great guitars! love the intro!

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 26, 2013 12:42

The first minute or so of OHTTB absolutely blows me away. Charlie’s drumming setting the stage, then a few strummed chords that sync up perfectly, and then that unbelievable sonic guitar assault that follows … WOW … perhaps the most gloriously violent and savagely beautiful and completely overwhelming guitar work ever recorded … crushing everything in its path. Then Mick, not to be outdone, comes in like a banshee, wailing furiously with those mind-blowing lyrics about falling out of the clear blue sky to the darkness below...

Incredible stuff.

But THEN, it really runs out of gas fast, doesn’t it? I mean, by the two minute mark it somehow has lost much of its momentum … a lot of the excitement is gone! The guitar work loses its propulsion, and even Mick sounds a little bored towards the end. The guitar solo is okay, but nothing special. The reprise of the opening riff is nice, but lacks the punch it had the first time.

Still, one of the few worthy tracks on Dirty Work.

Drew

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 26, 2013 13:15

A song that really makes the hackles on my back stand up.

This track came in for a lot of bad press from Stones purists at the time who believed the band had travelled too far down the stadium rock route. Yep, those pounding drums with their echo laden booms and trebly twin guitar assault sure had all the hallmarks of classic 80s over production.

But what a great song. And what great mythology making to boot. There were rumours that Mick and Keef had fallen out and here they were, playing up to the spat in full glorious colour in the video for all our eyes to see.

One thing I never understood is why the need for Jimmy Page. The Stones and Keith in particular had never been complimentary to Led Zeppelin. In fact I think he even disliked them. So why bring him in on this recording? And also the main solo that comes in at 2:27 - that doesn't sound like Keith playing to me. It sounds more like Ronnie or even Pagey - it's the 80s sound he went for with The Firm and on his solo album Outrider.

Anyway, I love the song and it's one of the only things on Dirty Walk I like. It just hasn't dated very well which is why they never play it live these days.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 26, 2013 13:37

It's a great track, I think. It, and Harlem Shuffle, and Sleep Tonight, rescue Dirty Work from being totally awful.

I think the reason Jimmy Page appeared on it was because the Stones perceived they were helping a mate who was just coming out of his own addiction Hell.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 26, 2013 13:39

Love it, and Harlem Shuffle and Sleep Tonight. The rest? Nup

Date: August 26, 2013 14:06

You guys don't rate Too Rude? Always love that one too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-26 14:24 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: August 26, 2013 14:16

tomcasagranda
It's a great track, I think. It, and Harlem Shuffle, and Sleep Tonight, rescue Dirty Work from being totally awful.

I think the reason Jimmy Page appeared on it was because the Stones perceived they were helping a mate who was just coming out of his own addiction Hell.

Here´s a quote from Page concerning this track:

"Well, the last time I was in New York at the end of the last Firm tour, I went and had a jam with Ronnie (Wood) and Keith (Richards) and they invited me to do some overdubs. I mean, we were just jamming all night the first night we were there, and it was fantastic. I went along and played on this one track and, lo and behold, it's on the Stones thing. I mean, I didn't even know it was coming out until it was released. But you know what Mick's like" (laughs)-- Jimmy Page

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: August 26, 2013 17:23

I love OHTTB! If only they could have cut a few more tracks like that and Harlem Shuffle and Sleep Tonight for Dirty Work.

What guitar part is Jimmys? The solos?

Date: August 26, 2013 17:26

Yep, the solos.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 26, 2013 17:26

Yes this cut is a cut above the rest of the album. Actually, several cuts above. I agree with the opinions of Harlem Shuffle and Sleep Tonight as well.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: August 26, 2013 17:29

A great track, from a vastly underatted album...

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 26, 2013 17:44

Svartmer

Here´s a quote from Page concerning this track:

"Well, the last time I was in New York at the end of the last Firm tour, I went and had a jam with Ronnie (Wood) and Keith (Richards) and they invited me to do some overdubs. I mean, we were just jamming all night the first night we were there, and it was fantastic. I went along and played on this one track and, lo and behold, it's on the Stones thing. I mean, I didn't even know it was coming out until it was released. But you know what Mick's like" (laughs)-- Jimmy Page

That's interesting. It reminds me of Ian McLagan playing on SOME GIRLS and then saying to Mick, "Maybe you could pay me something." Mick pulled out some money from his pocket that McLagen said, "Was enough for cab fare from the studio to my hotel." (I heard this in a McLagan internet interview.)

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: August 26, 2013 18:05

Love One Hit TO The Body. Wish they would play it more live!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 26, 2013 19:30

Great Rolling Stones song. I could do without the background vocals. Here's the video:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 26, 2013 20:02

laertisflash
A great track, from a vastly underatted album...

While I object to your use of the word vastly here, I think underatted might be closer to the mark.

It may not be underrated but it's certainly underatted.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: August 26, 2013 21:23

tomcasagranda

I completely agree with you. All the other tracks are just fillers, with Jagger who just does some kind of unespired "shout-singing".

The Steel Wheels tour has some great live versions of One hit. A great live number, although I always got the feeling they didn't know exactly how to finish it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-26 23:05 by GJV.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 26, 2013 22:07

A great tune which could have been much better without Lillywhite producing. Too many effects and tweaks hurt my ears after the first minute of listening.

The video was almost a joke and about the time I realized the Stones had become something much different than the band I had fallen for with Sticky Fingers. peace

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 27, 2013 00:32

a great track and one of the best of the 80's. Better than anything off Undercover, and better than everything off STEEL WHEELS with exception of CONTINENTAL DRIFT and SLIPPING AWAY

Date: August 27, 2013 03:01

Bashlets
a great track and one of the best of the 80's. Better than anything off Undercover, and better than everything off STEEL WHEELS with exception of CONTINENTAL DRIFT and SLIPPING AWAY

Except for Undercover Of The Night off UNDERCOVER, which is up there with their all time best singles. And better than everything off of Steel Wheels except the two you mentioned, and Almost Hear You Sigh, Terrifying, Hold On To Your Hat, Mixed Emotions, the beautiful Blinded By Love, Hearts For Sale, and Break The Spell.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 27, 2013 05:36

Great tune from a crappy album!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 27, 2013 06:12

GJV
tomcasagranda

I completely agree with you. All the other tracks are just fillers, with Jagger who just does some kind of unespired "shout-singing".

The Steel Wheels tour has some great live versions of One hit. A great live number, although I always got the feeling they didn't know exactly how to finish it.

Part of the reason they didn't know how to finish it was STEEL WHEELS was such a slick album, they pull this one out from their worst album ever and it's so far from slick they didn't know how to handle it. It was bland, at best, live on that tour. They did a much better job with Harlem Shuffle.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 27, 2013 06:50

Not the worst thing they ever did...that would come later.

Date: August 27, 2013 07:01

71Tele
Not the worst thing they ever did...that would come later.

Here's an early contender for worst studio recording by the Quartet, Blinded By Rainbows:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 27, 2013 07:23

24FPS

Here's an early contender for worst studio recording by the Quartet, Blinded By Rainbows:

[www.youtube.com]

Tee hee, we argue about the quartet stuff, you and I, but boy do I agree that's a contender! It's got nothing on "Streets Of Love" or "Don't Stop" though, IMHO.

Date: August 27, 2013 09:49

CanYouHearTheMusic
24FPS

[www.youtube.com]

Tee hee, we argue about the quartet stuff, you and I, but boy do I agree that's a contender! It's got nothing on "Streets Of Love" or "Don't Stop" though, IMHO.

Don't Stop....should have been Please Stop! Worst song they've ever done. Bland bland bland. >grinning smiley<

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1923
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home