Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
kick "Tumblin' Dice" off the playlist
Posted by: Bob05 ()
Date: April 21, 2005 00:48

Reading about the upcoming new world tour I thought about the setlists of the last two or three tours.

Sure they'll have to play some of the old classics but does it always mean they have to include "Tumblin'Dice"? Looks to me this served a bit as a fill-in during the last tours. One of their weaker songs. How about someone starting a survey which songs we want for the next tour and definitely kick "TD" at the same time?

Re: kick "Tumblin' Dice" off the playlist
Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 21, 2005 00:55

Tumbling Dice is one of the best grooves... ever!
But I can live with a setlist that don't have it on it.
They have to do their classics... this is one... maybe not as popular as Satisfaction, but it's the most famous one from Exile.
I understand why they still play it... and to me... they still perform it well.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: April 21, 2005 01:08

I love Tumbling Dice. No way it leaves the set list! I prefer the VL tour tempo of the song. It was a great #2 song on that tour. Leave off the best song from their most acclaimed album.......not a chance.

Posted by: mark ()
Date: April 21, 2005 02:21

Bob05.....I don't think your timing could have been worse. I was playing the BtoB DVD this morning over breakfast. My mind started to wander to thoughts that yes...even I... a die hard fan....must come to grips that all things considered this could be the last 'big tour' (not trying to start a thread here)....just then Keith lit up Tumbling Dice and I thought I may never get the chance to hear it again....man I went straight into the basement of RS depression....took me an hour to shake it off.

At least one more time please until I can come to grips with the realities.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 21, 2005 02:30

HERESY! It's easily my favorites of their warhorses. I love it when they play that riff over and over - this song could go on for 20 minutes and I wouldn't tire of it.

I vote Bob out of the group! :0)

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: April 21, 2005 02:41

It's tired and laboured and does no justice to even the Voodoo Lounge versions.

Get rid..

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: April 21, 2005 03:57

I took a pissbreak during Tumbling Dice at one of the Wembley shows last time. I agree with Bob, the song has done it's job, retire it.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 21, 2005 04:26

Bob,

My feelings exactly. TD is DONE for me.
What about adding back Shattered instead.

Just my humble opinion.
I love The Stones.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: April 21, 2005 04:43

TD is a much loved Stones classic
that most fans will want to hear,
even tho some of us hardcores
may tire of it.........

Date: April 21, 2005 04:53

No f'ing way...........BTW best TD ever-brussels and et el from 73/ worst-most from 98-99

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 21, 2005 05:02

Everybody has a "warhorse" that they would love to be kicked off the list.

I have to admit, Start Me Up is getting pretty boring hearing it live. Aside from the awesome one-of-a-kind historical riff from Keith, the rest of the song turns into boredom. Once the holy riff has been played, it's time for a piss break as far as I'm concerned. Someone get me a beer! I never liked the song much in the first place, one of the weaker selections from Tattoo You. Just one man's opinion. I like the early reggae demo/version better.

Tumbling Dice is historical...it will always be played live at a Stones concert. The ending is perfect for concerts, rambling on and on.
You Got To Roll Me!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 21, 2005 05:35

Still a concert rooookie, could one put a humble word in the air?
"Tumblin' " is, like Hairball is expressing in other ways, soulish, groovy
(I believe BowieStone above talked about groove). Yet its Exile´s most polished song (not the best polished material to compare with). It can tend to be boring in studio; and I´d guess I´d feel the same live.
"Start Me Up" feels extremly boring at time... But the song has muscles that shows only sometimes... I like the howlin´ by Mick; then it gets close to the roots, to the blues.

Summary: I would like both TD & SMU on the playlist (esp. if Mick can lay off the "Yo! Yo!"-part... ). And some reggae numbers (The harder.... is one). - Off can (e.g.) Dead Flowers (dead since long ago), Happy (Keefsters all-time-worst song) go. HTW can´t be excluded, I understand that, but thats a sleeping pill.
...What about Continental Drift; ever played live? Would be a thriller, with all the Jojoukas on stage (Come ON, Mick; you can afford it!).

BTW Dont they ever play Neighbors on stage?

Finally on the wishing list I would like to add some (66-)1967´s song: We Love You; The Lantern; Something Happened To Me...; Dandelion; She´s A Rainbow; 2,000 Light Years... & of course Connection with either Keefster on vocals or both screaming & yelling in a punkish/Faces-way... And for desert a Chess-set at a smaller stage before the heavy block.

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: April 21, 2005 05:49

Hell why not just ditch every @#$%& song they've ever done and just have an introduction immediately followed by thankful bows and then fireworks.

The tour hasn't even been announced and already there are complaints.

For example, I could live without "Gimme shelter" live but if I get it I won't go for a piss or a beer or a whatever, I'll stand there in awe of my heros and be thankful that they can still get their scaly butts on stage and play music.

If there is any gripe or concern anyone should have about a forthcoming tour it's the possibilty of even more obnoxious ticket prices.

"Money (That's what I want)".
Now there's a song that should perhaps be resurrected by the boys!

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 21, 2005 06:14

Speaking of the resurrections of songs, I can think of million (almost) of them.
Time to break out some of the long lost gems..."The Last Time" for instance.
That song says it all. Probably the theme song of the tour if my intuition is right.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 21, 2005 07:15

Baboon Bro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BTW Dont they ever play Neighbors on stage?

They played Neighbours at some of the Licks shows.
And of course in 81/82.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 21, 2005 11:43

No way for tumbling dice one of my favourites, probably going to get slagged off here but satisfaction has run its course for me.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 21, 2005 11:58

But hey, if there won't be a piss break number in their set, how would you manage then? Just take the pain? Wet pants? Just for curiosity... (Very much guys with a small bladder I guess..smiling smiley)

Anyway, I remember Jagger also wondering what TD is doing in their regular set and seemed quite bored of it.

- Doxa

Date: April 21, 2005 12:40

Everything can be replaced. This time around, the boys would have to do something completely new. A best of-tour, spiced with a couple of new songs is not enough...

Posted by: sir_carlos ()
Date: April 21, 2005 14:55

It's the greatest song! How can you say that? The only thing I agree of is to get back to some older versions, a little ruffer, it can not be SLOW!

Posted by: nmaillot ()
Date: April 21, 2005 15:27

TD is always welcome when the Stones play it well.
The problem is that they rarely play it really well.
The song relies much on Jagger's mood. When jagger swings, the song is good.
Another problem is that Ronnie is not able to play the solo correctly.

The version played at "Stade de France" in 2003 was a complete disaster.
But the version played at the olympia two days later was magic.

In fact, since Bill Wyman has left the band this song has lost something.
Bill's way of playing bass was really adapted to this song.
That's why TD was so good during the Steel Wheels / Urban jungle Tour (listen to tokyo dome 90, atlantic city 89, live at the max)

Posted by: Buddha66 ()
Date: April 21, 2005 15:40

I think TD would be a great opener for the new tour...Keith walks out into the spotlight and rips into the opening chords...brings a shiver to my spine just thinking about it!!!!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 21, 2005 16:40

Kick "Satisfacton" and "Sympathy" off, too.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: April 21, 2005 16:41

And You Can't Always Get What You Want.

Play Hey Negrita!

Mr E.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 21, 2005 16:47

Yeah, mr edward, that one, too.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: April 21, 2005 17:27

While I love just about all Stones songs I would not mind them giving Tumblin Dice a rest. It has become a song where the horn section dominates the guitars. I would also like to see them put Miss You, Start Me Up and You Got Me Rokcing aside and play some other hits that they neglect like 19th Nervous Breakdown (only played on one tour since the 60's), As Tears Go By or Mother's Little Helper.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 21, 2005 18:08

erikjjf thanks for info on Neighbors.
...Kyle/monkey man >(thus Bro´s Bro) said:
"The tour hasn't even been announced and already there are complaints."
...I think, on the contrary, this is a thread I would see more of. I didnt register it as complaints.
... - Ticket prizes should be 10 quid maximum.

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: April 21, 2005 18:09

I like to hear Midnight Rambler much more than Tumbling Dice.
Why don't they play Midnight Rambler as many times as Tumbling Dice?

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: April 21, 2005 18:10

Midnight Rambler is one song that they should play at every gig!

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: April 21, 2005 18:14

I agree with you, Hound Dog.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 21, 2005 19:26

I would love too kick dice off the set list, along with many others
that are only played for the boring casual fan

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1742
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home