Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Do good radio stations still exist?
Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 25, 2013 20:12

oldschool
Most of the classic rock stations are gone. Even in the Boston area, which was a MECCA for great rock radio, only a few survive.

IMHO the best option is get Sirius/XM satellite radio as it has great music options, every NFL, and MLB games broadcasts and lots of talk radio stations if you are into that.

For a small fee you can also stream it to your computer and smart phone.

I know you have to pay for it but it is about $15/ month so about $0.50 a day.

Just about to write the same thing. Have had it since 2006 and wouldn't be caught dead without it! And oh yeah, I own a lot of stock in the company, so please sign up. It's worth it...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 25, 2013 20:52

MILKYWAY
@latebloomer:

I know exactly what you mean. I am from the DC area but now live in Northern NJ. All I listen to on the radio is NPR -- WAMU in DC & WNYC here in NJ. Talk radio I guess you would call it.

Have you listed to 98 Rock? -- 97.9 FM out of Baltimore. It plays classic rock with a harder edge.

I have caught 98 Rock, usually when I'm traveling toward Maryland's Eastern Shore. You're right, it's better than DC101 or BIG 100.3. Don't listen to WAMU as much as TOP, but I do like a lot of their programming, especially shows like Car Talk out of Boston. DC used to have some good radio, but like everywhere else, it's gone downhill.

Were you in MD or VA, MILKYWAY?

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: August 25, 2013 21:22

In the New York/Northern NJ area Q104.3 classic rock is the way to go. Also 105.5 broadcasting from Northern NJ. Both stations play plenty of Stones.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 25, 2013 22:47

Do good radio stations still exist?...........Not in my place.........

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: August 25, 2013 23:52

@latebloomer--

I was in Virginia. I have a brother who lives in Fairfax Station and a sister in Stafford, VA.

Date: August 26, 2013 00:14

MILKYWAY
@latebloomer--

I was in Virginia. I have a brother who lives in Fairfax Station and a sister in Stafford, VA.

Ah, then your brother is not far from me. It's a small world sometimes...peace to you and your family MILKYWAY.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 26, 2013 00:32

Can't stand commercial radio. Never could. So I listen to Swedish public service station P1 which, sadly, never plays music. If it's too boring I switch to the CD-player...

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: August 26, 2013 00:43

I have not read through the whole thread but I will mention WFUV 90.7 Fordham University radio station is a very good station. We NYC residnets are blessed with some good radio stations. Q104 as you mentioned is a good one. It is cool to hear Miles Davis, Art Tatum, or even the Stones, on the radio.

Radio used to be an important part of our culture.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 26, 2013 00:47

There are a few good college stations here in the Boston area that play less commercial, more interesting music as well as a far deeper selection of oldies. I'm still amazed at how much great 60s and 70s music I've never heard by bands/artists I never knew existed, but that's one of the benefits of noncommercial DJ-driven radio by DJs who were there at the time.

Since I bought my first CD player a few years back and then my first iPod I've weaned myself off of commercial radio, and I must say I don't miss the boring repetitive string of commercials or the obnoxious, inspipid DJs who think they are the stars and that people tune in just to hear them babbling away in their cliched, snarky, self-important tones.

I'm always amused when I go to the liquor store on the weekend. The local classic rock station is always playing, and it amazes me to find that they are playing the exact same song list as 10, 15, even 20 years ago. On those stations, only the commercials change. Talk about "warhorses".

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: August 26, 2013 01:19

stonehearted
There are a few good college stations here in the Boston area that play less commercial, more interesting music as well as a far deeper selection of oldies. I'm still amazed at how much great 60s and 70s music I've never heard by bands/artists I never knew existed, but that's one of the benefits of noncommercial DJ-driven radio by DJs who were there at the time.

Since I bought my first CD player a few years back and then my first iPod I've weaned myself off of commercial radio, and I must say I don't miss the boring repetitive string of commercials or the obnoxious, inspipid DJs who think they are the stars and that people tune in just to hear them babbling away in their cliched, snarky, self-important tones.

I'm always amused when I go to the liquor store on the weekend. The local classic rock station is always playing, and it amazes me to find that they are playing the exact same song list as 10, 15, even 20 years ago. On those stations, only the commercials change. Talk about "warhorses".

THIS.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: August 26, 2013 01:48

latebloomer
Ah, then your brother is not far from me. It's a small world sometimes...peace to you and your family MILKYWAY.

Thanks. Josh lived in Burke in a townhouse over by Lake Braddock. His wake & funeral were at a place off of Braddock Road not too far from George Mason (where I was an undergrad).

Anyway, are you a long-time northern VA resident? If so, do you remember 105.9 WCXR? Man, I loved that radio station. It played a lot of great bands that one doesn't hear very often -- Frampton, Skynyrd, Traffic, Allman Bros., the Outlaws, etc. And, of course, it played a lot of the Rolling Stones.

Date: August 26, 2013 02:19

MILKYWAY
latebloomer

Thanks. Josh lived in Burke in a townhouse over by Lake Braddock. His wake & funeral were at a place off of Braddock Road not too far from George Mason (where I was an undergrad).

Anyway, are you a long-time northern VA resident? If so, do you remember 105.9 WCXR? Man, I loved that radio station. It played a lot of great bands that one doesn't hear very often -- Frampton, Skynyrd, Traffic, Allman Bros., the Outlaws, etc. And, of course, it played a lot of the Rolling Stones.

I do remember WCXR, both me and the station were new to the area around the same time. I was trying to figure out the best stations and I kept WCXR in mind by remembering that it was right before 106 on the dial. That was before I had a car with preset buttons on the radio. I agree, it was a great station.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: August 26, 2013 10:33

Remember the DJ's hands are tied by their big corporate brass as to which tunes & how any times they can be played. Same goes for commercials. eye popping smiley

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: August 26, 2013 15:29

SAtellite and internet radio have supplanted regular radio if you are looking for quality and diversity. The radio station I have a show on, CKUT 90.3 FM is a community radio station with some really good music programming mixed in amongst the political and community stuff, much like most community stations.

I find commercial radio almost impossible to listen to. The same bloody songs by the same bloody bands. Nobody wants to look beyond the obvious and dig for some quality stuff which is why I started my show in the first place.

Good radio is out there but don't expect much from the commercial side of things.

Mark
The Rock and Roll Report
www.rockandrollreport.com
"Where Rock and Roll is still an adventure!"

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 26, 2013 17:51

I remember when FM started to be interesting to listen to over the fast talking AM DJ's of the 60's. One of the best DJ's was Alison Steele (The Nightbird) on WNEW (102.7 FM) back in the early 70's in the NYC area. For some reason I still remember listening to her on Halloween night (I think in 72) and she was talking in that low smooth beautiful voice of her's about the night and then she put the song Black Sabbath from Black Sabbath's first album:

What is this that stands before me?
Figure in black which points at me
Turn around quick and start to run
Find out I'm the chosen one, oh nooo!

Big black shape with eyes of fire
Telling people their desire
Satan's sitting there, he's smiling
Watches those flames get higher and higher
Oh no, no, please God help me!

Is it the end, my friend?
Satan's coming 'round the bend
People running 'cause they're scared
The people better go and beware!
No, no, please, no!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 28, 2013 02:42

No.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: August 29, 2013 00:30

yeah on SiriusXM -- Deep Tracks, Underground Garage, tons of other great channels, cool DJs.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1927
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home