Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: One song that you never want to see them play live again
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 22, 2013 00:01

dead.flowers

btw, what a question / topic to post here ! thumbs down

thumbs up

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: August 22, 2013 00:08

I agree with Start Me Up being the one warhorse I could do without. There's just very little room for anything special (other than a botched opening) - problem is, the crowd loves this one.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 22, 2013 03:33

Emotional Rescue

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 22, 2013 04:07

Can't ever say I've been to a Stones concert and thought..."Oh no, I really don't want to hear that one again." Too busy just being thrilled to see and hear them live.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: August 22, 2013 04:19

I want to change my answer. Satisfaction. I just remembered the feeling I had in Chicago (28th and 31st) which was... I am bored. For the first time ever, I was bored, and on their biggest hit. I am 30 years old and have simply over-played them. The song is fun and I remember liking it briefly when I was younger, but it simply doesn't do ANYTHING for me. The only version remotely interesting is Live At Leeds 71.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 22, 2013 05:54

Anything where Jagger sings in that godawful falsetto, starting with Emotional Rescue and Miss You. Worried About You could/should be rearranged to ditch the falsetto.

Date: August 22, 2013 05:58

1) Miss You ..... Replace with Dance Pt. 1 / 2 or Hot Stuff + another Some Girls track like Whip

2) It's Only Rock 'n' Roll ( But I Like It ) ....
...... Replace with Dance Little Sister ~

3) You Got Me Rocking ..... Replace with another V.L. song like I Go Wild or Break it Down ~

4) Honkey Tonk Women ..... Replace with a non-war horse hit song ! Maybe Play with Fire or Heart of Stone instead. ~

5) Sympathy for the Devil ..... I'd Rather hear Street Fighting Man these days + maybe Salt of the Earth ~

6) Don't Stop ..... We shouldn't have to worry about this but Keys to Your Love is a better song and the only 1 of the 4 from that album , exclusive to the album that is,worth anything.

7) Rock and a Hard Place .... Don't bring it back. I would rather hear Mixed Emotions , Can't Be Seen , or Hold On to Your Hat from Steel Wheels. I would also rather hear the precursors to Rock and a Hard Place >> It Must Be Hell and the original Soul Survivor.

8) You Can't Always Get What You Want ..... I would much rather hear Let it Bleed from that album at this point.

Streets of Love / Rough Justice / Anybody Seen .... We should not have to worry about these either. Streets of Love was a little easier to tolerate in the live version,however.

More than 1 song but,this had to be said.

Miss You was easier to deal with on the Licks Tour of 2002 and 2003. It was played only around 5 times out of approximately 110 or so concerts.

They need to give the above war horses the "Street Fighting Man demotion" treatment and promote Street Fighting Man back to a warhorse .... but only if they demote other warhorses !!!!!

Date: August 22, 2013 06:26

I'm sick of hearing about "warhorses," to be honest, and I'd be furious if I went to a Stones show and didn't hear those wonderful songs, which are why I and many others came to love the band in the first place. And all they get from their so-called fans is "you play those songs too often, play something else that most people don't love as much." I have my favorites from the lesser- or never-played songs, but I don't expect to hear them played and would count myself super-lucky if I did. In fact, I count myself super-lucky that I can hear them play anything at all!

(I was at Chicago on the 28th too, and was anything but bored by Satisfaction, and I'm betting I've heard it many more times over the years. I guess it just comes down to taste, but the notion of getting bored with these songs does make me wonder about the original level of interest or enthusiasm.)

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 22, 2013 06:50

Although the debate on which songs to play or not is a favorite discussion on this board I don't think it matters anymore. I think it has to do with age and ability. They are simply not able to vary or freshen up the warhorses anymore. They will come out sounding about the same. And the new songs will sound unrehearsed and straggling. It doesn't matter what we will ask for; that is what we will get. If we're lucky...

Date: August 22, 2013 07:30

Aquamarine
I'm sick of hearing about "warhorses," to be honest, and I'd be furious if I went to a Stones show and didn't hear those wonderful songs, which are why I and many others came to love the band in the first place. And all they get from their so-called fans is "you play those songs too often, play something else that most people don't love as much." I have my favorites from the lesser- or never-played songs, but I don't expect to hear them played and would count myself super-lucky if I did. In fact, I count myself super-lucky that I can hear them play anything at all!

(I was at Chicago on the 28th too, and was anything but bored by Satisfaction, and I'm betting I've heard it many more times over the years. I guess it just comes down to taste, but the notion of getting bored with these songs does make me wonder about the original level of interest or enthusiasm.)

Well,you must have been pretty furious plenty of times if you went to past tours
because,of the 8 songs that I called on to be dropped or at least rested,7 of them
( Honkey Tonk Women is the only real exception ) HAVE already been dropped
on past tours. If they did it before,they can do it again.

1) Miss You ...... Not played at all on the 1999 No Security Tour and,like I said earlier,only 5 times
or so on the entire Licks Tour.

2) It's Only Rock 'n' Roll ( But I Like It ) ....... Not played on the 1978 tour and not played in '81 / '82
also not played at some Bridges to Babylon shows.

3) You Got Me Rocking ...... Not played at many of the fall 1997 shows plus not played at many 50 and Counting
Tour concerts.

4) Honkey Tonk Women ..... Even this was not played at most of the 1972 concerts.

5) Sympathy For the Devil ........... Between 1971 and 1982 (or through the first half of 1989) this song was
only played a handful of times in 1975 and '76 while (yes) Street Fighting Man was played representing
Beggars' Banquet instead on many occasions. Sympathy For the Devil was also not played for the first
couple of months ( 2 and a half months if memory serves ) of the 1994 tour.

6) Don't Stop ........... This was only played in 2002 and 2003 , every show 2005 on has ended without this garbage.

7) Rock and a Hard Place ............ This has not been played since the first Licks Tour stadium show in
early September of 2002.

8) You Can't Always Get What You Want ............. Not played in 1994 ; only a few very rare times in 1995 ;
not played at many 1997 shows ; not played at any 1999 shows.

So,it has been done before. It can and I say should be done again. The 1999 No Security Tour was well received
aside from the jump in ticket prices. Only HALF of the songs that I listed were performed on that tour !!!!!!!!!!!

Who says that people didn't fall in love with the Stones over Play With Fire , Heart of Stone , Dance Little Sister etc. ??
They are on hits albums. Someone must have liked them. They deserve to be played in concert once every couple of
decades !!

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: August 22, 2013 09:23

It's a toss up between YGMR and SMU

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: August 22, 2013 09:44

Midnight rambler
Miss you
You got the silver
Happy
Emotional rescue

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 22, 2013 09:52

At this late stage in the Stones career one should be thankful with any song they decide ta crank-out ....

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-22 11:06 by Rockman.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 22, 2013 09:53

Rockman
At this late stage in the Stones career one should be thankful any song they decide ta crank-out ....

...even Back To Zero...eye popping smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: August 22, 2013 10:19

Love Train

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 22, 2013 10:20

...even Back To Zero................eye popping smiley

....Yeah why not ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 22, 2013 11:15

I have lost the need to see the Stones live ever again completely.

Mathijs

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: August 22, 2013 12:09

Come On
Rockman
At this late stage in the Stones career one should be thankful any song they decide ta crank-out ....

...even Back To Zero...eye popping smiley

There must be some kind of UN agreement made against that song, it's pure torture.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: August 22, 2013 12:35

Aquamarine

If you count yourself super-lucky to hear them play anything at all would you really be furious if they didn't play something? A bit contradictory.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 22, 2013 14:02

I would love to see them live again, and that's it. I have no conditions what they must or must not play.

Anyway, Miss you was always one of the songs that they have played really often that I sort of hated. But listening to the One More Shot show and Glastonbury, the song finaly grew on me after all those years. I don't know why, I just know that I was really surprised that I enjoyed it this time.

Date: August 22, 2013 15:46

fahthree
Aquamarine

If you count yourself super-lucky to hear them play anything at all would you really be furious if they didn't play something? A bit contradictory.

I'd be thankful to hear them play the phone book, but I'd still be mad if because of people telling them their best songs are no longer welcome, that's all I got. And whatever they've done before makes no difference to what they do or don't do in the future.

Like I said, I have my favorites from the lesser-played songs. I'd kill to hear Parachute Woman. But pulling for your favorites is very different from all this negativity I'm reading here.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 22, 2013 23:13

I would have liked to make a list of my "least favourites" (notice the expression) and have the band give versions that make those songs a special treat. They have that capability in them to make a more ordinary song shine live. I would have loved it.

I am not opposed to any of the songs that constitute what we know as warhorses. Not one of them, I think. My only objection is to be exposed to all of them each time and at the expense of hearing more unusual songs. And more recent songs.

Give me some, but not all, and alternating "warhorses" and make space for some other songs, too. Hopefully also some recent ones. And hopefully as well, live renditions of songs from a new studio album.

Edit: of a misprint

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-23 10:19 by Witness.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 23, 2013 00:31

BluzDude
Start Me Up
WE have a winner. No more entries needed.thumbs up

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 23, 2013 01:28

Aquamarine
But pulling for your favorites is very different from all this negativity I'm reading here.

I am glad to have you around on this board Aquamarine

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: August 23, 2013 01:42

Brown sugar

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: August 23, 2013 03:13

A question that surely has no answer?

Posted by: soundboard ()
Date: August 23, 2013 03:18

black n blue
Brown sugar

IMHO, on this current tour, the Brown Sugar tempo and guitars sounded the best since '71.

Miss You would not be missed..
However...
Consider all the voices that MJ's ears hear, and the ones that are heard (sexy girls that like to have fun)...

The setlist struggle must truly be a headache sometimes.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 23, 2013 03:39

TOSS UP.....MISS YOU AND START ME UP....

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 23, 2013 03:41

HOORAY for Aquamarine!

Date: August 23, 2013 04:10

smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1779
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home