Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Best version of Under My Thumb
Posted by: filstan ()
Date: August 21, 2013 20:31

It was a great opener in 1981. I especially enjoyed the Rockford version which might have been a little bit longer than normal. Otherwise from 1969 on the MSG Ya Ya's deluxe release, that version is THE BEST OMT recording of all time. Perfect to my ears, especially how it segues into I'm Free. That sound from the 69 tour is killer.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 21, 2013 21:00

Keith really likes the riff he plays during the fadeout and turnarounds from the '69 versions. It appears on a few other songs...

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: August 21, 2013 22:54

The 81/82 version is excellent!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 21, 2013 23:03

I love Under My Thumb.

My version (obviously not the best version), but my tribute to a great song that amazingly was never a single.

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: August 21, 2013 23:18

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 21, 2013 23:23

behroez

That's a pretty great version.

But it ain't got the Chelsea Socialite sneer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-21 23:24 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 22, 2013 03:32

Certainly not from the BANG tour. Horrible.

As much as I love the Altamont version I still love the one on Still Life and from the movie. All the other 81-82 versions I've heard are nearly as good (I know, they fixed it up for the live album and movie) as the live album and movie ones.

Of course the album version is perfect.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 22, 2013 10:44

Godxofxrock9
There is a really good version from the opening show of the bridges tour

Sorry but I have to disagree strongly here (why on earth I decided to watch it at all?). That version goes nowhere, does not any "flow" at all. Unrehearsed and uninspired Rolling Stones cover band, even though the singer makes a nice Mick Jagger imitation in places...

To get that out of mind, here is a counter poison, that is, how a rock and roll band delivers it:

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-22 11:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 22, 2013 11:09

Date: August 22, 2013 11:16

Aah, since we go that direction, here is another historical cover gem from the past:

Was also thinking of providing Bob Geldof's odd remake of it ("Under Their Thumb"), but couldn't find it.

- Doxa

Date: August 22, 2013 11:25

And of course, we shouldn't forget her.. some tasty guitars there.

- Doxa

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 22, 2013 11:34

Well, the thread title doesn't say that the best version has to be a Stones version.winking smiley

At any rate, the song has versatility.

It can either be covered in a rough and ready way....

....or in a more soft-spoken way....

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 22, 2013 17:53

Over the span of three weeks, the evolution of a song and a band right before your eyes and ears:

(Too bad Taylor's I'm Free solo is cut on the MSG clip)

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 22, 2013 19:41

pmk251
Over the span of three weeks, the evolution of a song and a band right before your eyes and ears:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Taylor's meandering solos on I'm Free during the 'Oakland-period' are much more interesting to me than his 'MSG-solos' on that song. I love the "slowly rocking on" version of IF more than the fast one.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: August 22, 2013 20:41

Just love the Live at Leeds at Roundhay Park 1982 version. Fast and Furious, but sexy sleek and pert like Mick's ass in 1982.hot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-23 19:53 by desertblues68.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: August 24, 2013 22:39

Pheonix 81. Perfection.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: August 25, 2013 00:09

kleermaker
pmk251

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Taylor's meandering solos on I'm Free during the 'Oakland-period' are much more interesting to me than his 'MSG-solos' on that song. I love the "slowly rocking on" version of IF more than the fast one.

i know , dont much like the medley which messes up both tempos
better with the altamont UMT ( were you can hear keiths stunning sus4 picking and he throws in a few berry licks !) and the oakland i'm free ( beautiful).

Posted by: zumabitch ()
Date: August 25, 2013 04:31

Doxa,

I'm really impressed by the rendition of Under My Thumb by Blind Faith at Hyde Park. Maybe I'm taken by "the heat of the moment" (I should listen to it more times to get a serene perception), but it sounds to me as the best cover ever of a Stones song. Elegantly played (all great musicians here), it sounds ethereal and consistent at the same time, thanks to the warm, soulful voice of Steve Windwood. This is pure class, and obviously, an "high rate of class" must be ascribed to the composers too, Jagger Richards. It also shows the funny nuances of music biz, since Ginger Baker (the drummer here,if I'm not wrong) had some very harsh (and unfair IMHO) words about Jagger, defining him as a sort of "talentless clown" (sorry I don't remember the source/interview).

A catchy version from Tina Turner too, but the tastiest thing here is her vocals tricks at the fading, you must use headphones at max. volume

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 25, 2013 05:17

Doxa
Godxofxrock9
There is a really good version from the opening show of the bridges tour

Sorry but I have to disagree strongly here (why on earth I decided to watch it at all?). That version goes nowhere, does not any "flow" at all. Unrehearsed and uninspired Rolling Stones cover band, even though the singer makes a nice Mick Jagger imitation in places..

To get that out of mind, here is a counter poison, that is, how a rock and roll band delivers it:

- Doxa

Hmm, there's actually more flow and groove in the rhythm section in the first one. Listen close to Charlie and Daryll. There's some mid 60's Charlie creeping in there that isn't in the 80's one.

They lock in and build it up subtly.

Warm and tasty. A good version indeed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-25 05:26 by His Majesty.

Posted by: chemicalreaction ()
Date: August 25, 2013 12:53

Altamont is 100% the best Version for me!!!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 25, 2013 19:44

Early in the '69 tour I'm Free was a Taylor solo vehicle as people have noted. The performance in Oakland is as close as you will ever hear the band sound like The Dead. I point out Taylor's 20 second solo on the Ya-Ya's I'm Free because it is an important moment. The band is now capable of playing something of great touch, taste and beauty. It's a huge leap forward. It foreshadows MLMile, Winter and TWFNO, for example.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 25, 2013 20:07

The original is superb - the closest they ever came to Motown and Jone's touches give it a sinister feel. After that it would have to be Tempe Arizona 81. There were a few other shows on that tour where they really nailed it and Keith was extremely busy throughout the song...Ronnie hardly audible for obvious reasons.

It is a massivelt underrated song and I had hoped for it to be exhumed for this last tour, but alas it wasn't to be.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1289
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home