Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Macca May Play Gig at Candlestick Park Before Its Demolition
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 20, 2013 20:36

His Majesty
stonehearted

My point was that Rubber Soul, like Revolver, was a bit off "the Beatle path" when it came to performing songs live, more acoustic songs with mellower tones and more exotic and at times fancy instrumentation. How would they recreate the electric piano solo of In My Life, the sitar flavorings of Norwegian Wood, and so on. You's need to have a fuzzbox handy to left George play Think For Yourself. They were only onstage for 30 minutes as it was, so would they break out acoustic guitars for a slow quiet little ditty like Girl when they couldn't even hear themselves at full electric volume? Even their treatments of Yesterday at this time tended to be electric, if the full band was on the stage when it was being played.

Electric piano on In My Life? George with fuzz box on Think For Yourself?

Tsk tsk. grinning smiley

The bass on Think For Yourself was double-tracked, one with a fuzzbox attached. So, yes, there was a fuzzbox there.

And, alright, not an electric piano on In My Life, but it sounds different than a regular acoustic piano because of how it was recorded (at half-speed).

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 20, 2013 20:39

stonehearted

The bass on Think For Yourself was double-tracked, one with a fuzzbox attached. So, yes, there was a fuzzbox there.

Obviously, but not by George. grinning smiley

Date: August 21, 2013 00:46

His Majesty
stonehearted

Obviously, but not by George. grinning smiley

I didn't mean to imply that it was. In my above post when I mentioned George "playing" the song I meant performing it, singing it--it was after all his song.

But for a live treatment, Think For Yourself would have had to have had a fuzzbox on the guitar with George doing the leads, because live there could only be one bass.... in a nutshell the song was just too complicated to be played live at that time, and I don't believe it ever was, by any of The Beatles including George.

Date: August 21, 2013 01:10

Just pulling yet leg, it wouldn't have to have the fuzz though anymore than paint it black had to have sitar live. smiling smiley

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 21, 2013 01:19

Munichhilton
I've never understood getting nostalgic for a steel and concrete building until now...I hate to see Candlestick go...

Rolling Stones, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jerry Rice, J. Geils, Journey...they can tear down Oakland Alameda...but dammit leave the Stick standing...

The Beatles last live concert not on a roof...Mac seems fitting
If their is ever a place not to get nostalgic about. It's Candlestick. The dump to end all dumps. It certainly had it's share of memorable moments. But the facility itself has all the warmth and charm of rotten eggs. Would be a nice touch to have Paul play the last show there. But if it comes at a cost of $2-300 a ticket. I'd rather spend that money to be the one who pushes the plunger to blow that thing up.eye popping smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: August 21, 2013 01:24

His Majesty
Just pulling yet leg, it wouldn't have to have the fuzz though anymore than paint it black had to have sitar live. smiling smiley

Yes, I suppose so. They could have put on the power chords a la Paperback Writer.

But thanks for mentioning. And, I must admit, I actually did forget about the double-tracked fuzz bass, even though I had looked this info up a long time ago. It sounds so much like a lead guitar, that it slipped my mind and I was thinking that George was playing it.grinning smiley

Wherever the memory banks fail, that's what IORR is for.smileys with beer

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: August 21, 2013 01:46

sweetcharmedlife
Munichhilton
I've never understood getting nostalgic for a steel and concrete building until now...I hate to see Candlestick go...

Rolling Stones, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jerry Rice, J. Geils, Journey...they can tear down Oakland Alameda...but dammit leave the Stick standing...

If their is ever a place not to get nostalgic about. It's Candlestick. The dump to end all dumps. It certainly had it's share of memorable moments. But the facility itself has all the warmth and charm of rotten eggs. Would be a nice touch to have Paul play the last show there. But if it comes at a cost of $2-300 a ticket. I'd rather spend that money to be the one who pushes the plunger to blow that thing up.eye popping smiley

agreed, it has to be the worst sports venue in the US, even worse then the Oakland Coliseum

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 21, 2013 02:14

Ket
sweetcharmedlife
Munichhilton

agreed, it has to be the worst sports venue in the US, even worse then the Oakland Coliseum

I actually don't mind the Oakland Coliseum. It was built in the '60s, so you have to get over that. It was fine until Al Davis built that monstrosity that was added on to it. Had a nice view of the Oakland hills. The few times I was at Candlestick, it was warm, so I didn't mind that, either. AT&T is okay, but it's always cold, and I feel like I'm stuck in crowded elevator with 42,000 reeking of garlic. Anyway, Macca's idea to close out Candlestick is a good one. Doubt he'll do it, though.

Date: August 21, 2013 02:36

tomk
Macca's idea to close out Candlestick is a good one. Doubt he'll do it, though.

This gesture seems to confirm that Macca is just as nostalgic over The Beatles as many of his fans are. Just consider the way he has saved and preserved all that vintage Beatles equipment for all these years--it helps him keep in touch with his younger self. He doesn't peddle nostalgia through his shows to make a buck, he is quite sincere and genuine about it, he does it for himself mainly.

Look also at the venues he is playing: in the U.S. it's all baseball parks--just the way The Beatles used to. Sound-wise, there have been great improvements over the years for indoor concerts, and a ballpark is the worst place to hear and see a rock show. But he does it this way because that's the way it was done back when he was Fab.

Just my theory anyway.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 21, 2013 02:38

stonehearted
tomk

This gesture seems to confirm that Macca is just as nostalgic over The Beatles as many of his fans are. Just consider the way he has saved and preserved all that vintage Beatles equipment for all these years--it helps him keep in touch with his younger self. He doesn't peddle nostalgia through his shows to make a buck, he is quite sincere and genuine about it, he does it for himself mainly.

Look also at the venues he is playing: in the U.S. it's all baseball parks--just the way The Beatles used to. Sound-wise, there have been great improvements over the years for indoor concerts, and a ballpark is the worst place to hear and see a rock show. But he does it this way because that's the way it was done back when he was Fab.

Just my theory anyway.
He hasn't retained the Beatles ticket prices though.

Date: August 21, 2013 03:40

<<He hasn't retained the Beatles ticket prices though.>>

Well, back in those days there were just two roadies on the payroll.grinning smiley

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 21, 2013 03:54

Had the Beatles stayed together as to what they would have done is pure conjecture. Let's just leave the six year absolutely remarkable run of ground breaking music as it is. It was phenomenal.

Posted by: nobs ()
Date: August 21, 2013 04:24

hopefully he's playing as they begin demolition

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 21, 2013 04:51

Date: August 21, 2013 05:05

It makes no mention of the Beatles, but the exact spot on which they played is clearly marked in the parking lot of the new Citi Field.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-21 05:23 by tatters.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: August 21, 2013 05:05

Photos from Candlestick - 8/29/66

"We're sorry for the people who never got to see us live. You might have enjoyed yourselves." - John Lennon

Date: August 21, 2013 05:45

Far less familiar than the iconic images from Aug. 15, 1965, here's a few photos from the Beatles concert at Shea Stadium on Aug. 23, 1966. (Audio is from the Tokyo '66 bootleg.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-21 05:53 by tatters.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 21, 2013 06:18

Their '65 Shea Stadium attire looked great. Best get-up they had, in my opinion. Did they wear those jackets at every show on that tour? The following years look isn't as fab.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 21, 2013 06:30

Friends who live in S.F. say Candlestick Park was a result of graft. But for some greased palms, it never would have been built in a spot too windy for a stadium.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-22 00:29 by Title5Take1.

Date: August 21, 2013 06:43

Big Al
Their '65 Shea Stadium attire looked great. Best get-up they had, in my opinion. Did they wear those jackets at every show on that tour? The following years look isn't as fab.

They alternated between those and the black suits. 1966 had the cooler, hipper outfits, I thought. Unfortunatly, in '66 they used the American-made Super Beatle amps which had no guts at all (but a great fuzz tone).
BTW, if you want the Shea jackets or the 1966 tour jackets, you can get them here:

[www.beatlesuits.com]

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: August 21, 2013 07:43

It had been posted a few posts back about the Beatles live in 66 and how antiquated much of the material was. For my thought its for 2 reasons: 1. they didn't care and 2. the fans didn't care.
By 1966 its well known the Beatles were tired of touring. They had been playing live for 6 years. The relentlessness of the press wasn't helping their attitudes either. So by 1966 they really didn't care. Fans couldn't hear them, they couldn't hear themselves, so basically they tread out songs that were upwards of 3 years old (I Wanna Be Your Man), which for the Beatles was ancient history.The newest songs were six months old (Paperback Writer, Day Tripper).
The majority of the fans going to see the Beatles I don't think wanted to hear albums like Revolver and Rubber Soul, which had progressed well beyond their stage show. Sure songs like Drive My Car, Taxman, And Your Bird Can Sing wouldve worked on stage, but the majority of fans simply wanted to see them, not hear them and therefore wouldve been content to hear She Loves You or I Wanna Hold your Hand even though by 66 the Beatles were well beyond that kind of material.

Date: August 21, 2013 11:26

tomk
... in '66 they used the American-made Super Beatle amps which had no guts at all (but a great fuzz tone).

Not in Germany, Japan and Philippines though. Vox UL-7120's in Germany and Philippines, for some reason they used Vox AC100's for some of the Japan concerts, then their UL-7120's for the others.

I know you probably know, but just clarifying for onlookers that might not.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 21, 2013 12:46

sweetcharmedlife
stonehearted
tomk

Just my theory anyway.
He hasn't retained the Beatles ticket prices though.
His ticket prices were downright reasonable compared to the Stones. At least the stadium show he did here (Seattle) a few weeks ago.

Date: August 21, 2013 14:27

tomk

BTW, if you want the Shea jackets or the 1966 tour jackets, you can get them here:

[www.beatlesuits.com]

Tells you how many tribute bands there must be to be able to keep a place like that in business!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-21 14:34 by tatters.

Date: August 21, 2013 19:10

His Majesty
tomk
... in '66 they used the American-made Super Beatle amps which had no guts at all (but a great fuzz tone).

Not in Germany, Japan and Philippines though. Vox UL-7120's in Germany and Philippines, for some reason they used Vox AC100's for some of the Japan concerts, then their UL-7120's for the others.

I know you probably know, but just clarifying for onlookers that might not.

Indeed. A guy at Vox told me they used the 100s in Japan due to the 7120s arriving late due to inclement weather on the flight from Alaska. Sounds odd to me. I think it was a deal with Vox in Japan and NHK who filmed it. And the 7120s were supposed to go to America, but Epstein cut a deal with Vox_Jennings (hence the Super Beatle amps).

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1673
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home