Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Black Crowes
Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 18, 2013 16:46

Chris Robinson covers "No Expectations"

I think he does a fairly good job with it. This is truly one the boys' greatest works and I'm really glad they started playing it live a few years ago again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-12 09:30 by bv.

Re: Chris Robinson covers "No Expectations"
Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 18, 2013 23:30

great

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: August 19, 2013 00:05

FANTASTIC

Date: August 19, 2013 00:07

just as brutal as any other crowes stones cover

nice guitar work but chris cant sing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-19 01:55 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Posted by: mgshorr ()
Date: August 19, 2013 01:52

Nice Cover

Date: August 19, 2013 02:16

pinkfloydthebarber

and mick jagger talks the songs so who cares

Date: August 19, 2013 02:22

keefriffhard4life
pinkfloydthebarber

oh come on

no comparison

could chris robinson sing (let alone write) moon moonlight mile and about 100 others?

ones the real thing

others a fax

Date: August 19, 2013 02:25

pinkfloydthebarber
keefriffhard4life
pinkfloydthebarber

oh come on

no comparison

could chris robinson sing (let alone write) moon moonlight mile and about 100 others?

ones the real thing

others a fax

mick doesn't really sing a single note on moonlight mile. he is talking pretty much the entire time.

here is one for you. one of these 2 is a good old boy from the south in the USA with deep roots in country, blues and r&b, the other is a guy from england who use to wish he was from the south and had ties to southern music and do a fake southern accent. which one is which?

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: August 19, 2013 14:26

the black crowes played this song in milano too on july 3rd/ it was one the highlights of the concert

Date: August 19, 2013 15:09

keefriffhard4life
pinkfloydthebarber
keefriffhard4life
pinkfloydthebarber

oh come on

no comparison

ones the real thing

others a fax

mick doesn't really sing a single note on moonlight mile. he is talking pretty much the entire time.

here is one for you. one of these 2 is a good old boy from the south in the USA with deep roots in country, blues and r&b, the other is a guy from england who use to wish he was from the south and had ties to southern music and do a fake southern accent. which one is which?

Keef, I love Chris, too. But you're taking it too far here, imo.

It's easy, just ask Chris to sing As Tears Go By - he wouldn't master it. But who cares? They have different singing styles. Mick is not from the US, and Chris is not from the Delta. Mick has been listening to the masters, and so did Chris - the difference is that Mick is one of the masters he's been listening to smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-19 15:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 19, 2013 15:23

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
pinkfloydthebarber
keefriffhard4life
pinkfloydthebarber

oh come on

no comparison

ones the real thing

others a fax

Keef, I love Chris, too. But you're taking it too far here, imo.

It's easy, just ask Chris to sing As Tears Go By - he wouldn't master it. But who cares? They have different singing styles. Mick is not from the US, and Chris is not from the Delta. Mick has been listening to the masters, and so did Chris - the difference is that Mick is one of the masters he's been listening to smiling smiley

first off why would chris robinson ever try to sing "as tears go by"? its not even close to a style of song he has ever done. thats like asking why mick jagger couldn't sing a song by slayer. next mick is still just barely beyond talking in that song. thats why his voice has held up so long while others in their 60's struggle now. mick barely ever took his voice out of his talking range. finally chris robinson is still from georgia no matter what ties you think he has so it sounds more believable to me when he sings stuff like this then to hear a guy from england attempt a country tune while doing a fake southern accent

Date: August 19, 2013 15:32

Well, by that you also exclude Bob Dylan, Roger McGuinn and others to sound trustworthy and genuine within this kind of music..

Range has nothing to do with singing abilities, it's just a tool.

The Slayer-comparison is way off, since both Mick and Chris are doing ballads a lot. this is one of my favourites by Chris:

Both singers have short notes as their trade mark. Chris rarely hold on to notes for more than a second. The same goes for Mick.

But seriously, just listen. Two brilliant vocalists. But it's Mick, hands down, who gets my vote - english or not smiling smiley

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: August 19, 2013 17:53

andrea66
the black crowes played this song in milano too on july 3rd/ it was one the highlights of the concert

They did and here's the proof!

And Mick a better singer then Chris? Come on!

Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: August 19, 2013 18:38

I've seen the Black Crowes do this song justice in NYC, it was a big surprise and Chris did a helluva job. For that matter, I also saw them do Silver Train about 15 years ago in Saratoga during the Furthur Tour and more recently, they played Jumping Jack Flash at the Gathering of the Vibes in Bridgeport, CT. I love the Crowes, I live for the Stones so anytime we catch a Bonus cover like "No Expectations" we should all say thank you, have a Coke and a smile and just shut the @#$%& up!!! smiling smiley

Posted by: forsure ()
Date: August 19, 2013 21:07

{I also saw them do Silver Train about 15 years ago in Saratoga during the Furthur Tour}

nice, I was at that show as well. Good version, but the guy manning the sound was awful. It was like a solid wall of white noise.

Sound is and has been dialed in for years now. Crowes are at the top of their game right now. Can't wait to see em on the 5th of September. Going to try to get tickets for one of the acostic shows as the cap.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 19, 2013 21:17

I just saw them in Michigan and it was a fantastic show. Chris was on fire! He was so happy and into everything. Jackie Green is fantastic, and I like him much better than Luther. Was far more rocking. Great show!

Posted by: forsure ()
Date: August 19, 2013 22:32

Yep, I've caught a couple shows in FL in april and then one in NY a few weeks back. Want to catch at least two-three more as they are going back to their solo stuff for 2014. By far my fav touring band right now. I'd rather the Stones or Grateful Dead, but since one band is gone and the other is off the road, I'm left with the Black Crowes. For me, I'm not sure there is a better band on the road on a night by night basis, not too mention they play a different set list every night.

Posted by: nickm8 ()
Date: August 19, 2013 23:36

yah chris robinson is a big stones fan as you can tell but his band chris robinson brotherhood and the black crowes are two great bands if you like that type of music he does other stones covers too which are pretty good im my opinon check him out!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 19, 2013 23:39

pinkfloydthebarber
but chris cant sing

And ducks can't swim.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-19 23:39 by Koen.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: October 30, 2013 12:37

The Black Crowes played 3 Stones songs last night.

[www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: Stones CAT ()
Date: October 30, 2013 12:57

They also cover Torn 'n' Frayed in Warpaint Live ...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 30, 2013 15:36

Great version

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: October 30, 2013 16:54

BowieStone
The Black Crowes played 3 Stones songs last night.

[www.setlist.fm]

Was a great show last night. Long time since I've seen the Crowes and was really impressed - they are very tight, jammy, happy,hippy, cool. No complaints about 3 Stones songs, and their version of JJF really rocks!

btw, Maceo Parker + band as warm-up really cooked! Soul singin' funk!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 30, 2013 17:16

just a guess, but I think the Black Crowes love and respect the Rolling Stones..

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: October 30, 2013 17:24

The Johnny Cash version is also great!

[www.youtube.com][/quote]

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: October 30, 2013 18:52

Beautiful version of a fave track. Enjoyed it immensely. Thank you for posting.

In case anybody missed then, there's a few live Stone's rendition on their prime (RNRC '68, Hyde Park '69, LA '73). The one done at the 1973 Earthquake benefit in LA with Mick Taylor absolutely stunning. Wish we could get a soundboard of it:

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: October 30, 2013 20:20

Terrible singing and playing. Can't listen to it.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 30, 2013 20:36

The Crowes have been obsessed with the Stones since the very beginning. An Atlantic City 1990 radio tape that just appeared on the Net shows them covering HTW.

The question is do they do justice to the Stones' tunes...?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 31, 2013 00:23

They do. Just enough of the original to show their love, and enough of their own take on it to make it unique and their own. Love their Stones covers. I have seen them several times. Their last show at the Fillmore was a Stones feast- Long tripped out version of I Just Want to See His Face, Torn and Frayed, No Expectations, Can't You Hear me Knockin', Midnight Rambler (first time they did it live) and The Last Time! All at the same show! Amazing tribute to their idols.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 31, 2013 00:41

dcba
The Crowes have been obsessed with the Stones since the very beginning. An Atlantic City 1990 radio tape that just appeared on the Net shows them covering HTW.

The question is do they do justice to the Stones' tunes...?

The answer is yes.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2002
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home