Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Pope is a dope
Posted by: TheKnitter ()
Date: April 19, 2005 23:10

Wonder will this pope condemn the music of the stones

Did you ever wake up to find, a day that broke up your mind, destroyed your notion of circular time?

Re: Pope is a dope
Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: April 19, 2005 23:34

Hope so. It would make life more fun.

Date: April 19, 2005 23:35

He probably won't ... he's a celine dion fan aint he?

Did you ever wake up to find, a day that broke up your mind, destroyed your notion of circular time?

Posted by: apolodoro ()
Date: April 20, 2005 00:11

New pope is a new Torquemada. Fundamentalism everywhere, sadly

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 20, 2005 00:25

Just for the record. I will delete any posts that are insulting the Pope or catholics or any other people for that matter. And please do me a favour by not challenging my patience. If you like the Pope then great, we have a new Pope. If you don't like him for some reason write a letter to the local paper or whoever, but please do not tell us here. It is irrelevant vs. The Rolling Stones, as I am sure they will come to Rome with his blessing and with no problems if they would like to do so.

Bjornulf

Date: April 20, 2005 00:37

A friend of mine recorded this song 20 years ago.

The pope, pope, he smoke the dope,,,,,,,pope pope, smokin the dope, hey pope, smoke me some dope..... and so on.

With the right riff and the right mood, it can become infectious!

Oh what fun we had

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: April 20, 2005 01:43

I've heard Benedict XVI desrcibed as a "transitional" pope--he will stick with the Church's trend towards conservatism, even if his tenure is a relatively short one. Cardinal Ratzinger was a safe choice, and will toe the line for JP II's policies. This Pope is definitely not a dope--he is highly intellectual, is described as a good listener, and is highly regarded by his students.

Date: April 20, 2005 01:44

....... and bavarian to boot

Date: April 20, 2005 02:38

I bet that pratt Miss Bonnie Bonnie Bono is crying into his Irish beere because he wasn't elected the new pope!

But, seriously... who else believes the Pope is the world's biggest rock star? I mean, look at those outfits and those crowds! And he's always waving that stick around! Lor'!!!

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: April 20, 2005 03:10

The catholic church's biggest problem is that they stand for values that are outdated since hundreds of years - and instead of giving some priest a chance of changing that they elect a neo-conservativ pope. Great - the role of the catholic church will be even more diminished now, it could play an important part even in today's life, but instead it decides to dig it's own grave.
I don't want to insult any catholics here - I'm catholic too, but there's just not enough to identify with today's catholic church.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: April 20, 2005 03:34

KR, I'm not Catholic, but I lived with one for five years, and I do have some problems with its actions over the last few hundred years--what are you your complaints about the Church's role?

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: April 20, 2005 04:01

I know that the stance on birth control for married couples is a major reason that the Church has seen a decrease of 15% in Catholic followers in S. America over the last decade. The Church is simply pushing people away with a reluctance of embracing the future. With the last few years it seems the Church does not want to embrace modernism (an honest debate) but will embrace protecting its own image at the cost of many many children. This is something the Church must deal with & come back from, or suffer another decade of set-backs. Many feel that the Church became way too involved in politics over the last 25 years. That this involvement tears people from their own faith. With this new Pope, that trend is likely to continue...and likely increase. Further, with the dark past the Church has with WWII & the Nazi party, this seems to be a very poor choice. Many would argue that it is too soon for a German Pope (due to the ties the Church had in WWII) and certainly not appropriate for one who served so closely with the Nazi Party (seems unclear whether or not he was actually a member of the Nazi Party. He was in the @#$%& Youth & later an anti-aircraft gunner...also a POW caputred by the Americans). This choice is certainly one for a short term Pope (his age) who will continue with the conservative direction of the Church...probably increasing the latter. I tend to believe this will cause many Catholics to feel closer with their Pope...and many leave the faith...as has been the trend. Still, with 1 billion Catholics, the Church isn't going anywhere anytime soon...unless we find out they keep supporting the molestation of children (I say support for the way the guilty persons were protected & moved around).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-20 04:01 by sdstonesguy.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: April 20, 2005 06:35

Every religion has something in it that can be bashed, I personally can think of one religion that seems to endorse mass murder, but lets leave religion alone on this board.......can't we just Pick on Chuck Leavell or Billy Preston's gigantic Afro on the 75 tour?

Milo, NYC
I need someone I can cry to

Why is there a posting about the Pope?
Posted by: keefster ()
Date: April 20, 2005 07:18

Just wondering.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: April 20, 2005 11:25

sdstonesguy wrote:
"Many feel that the Church became way too involved in politics over the last 25 years"
-------------------------------------

Just for the record. Check the History of Europe and you'll find that the Catholic Church has been way too involved in politics since maybe the eighth century... Being in Spain, I can tell you.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: April 20, 2005 11:47

it's dangerous to have sex with the Pope, he won't wear a condom

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 20, 2005 12:17

TheKnitter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wonder will this pope condemn the music of the
> stones

as he's previously condemned rock music, I doubt he's much of a fan

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 20, 2005 12:50

The last pope was for a great part responsible for 25 million deaths through H.I.V., and that's about the same number as Stalin. I don't think the new pope will break @#$%&'s record of 50 million deaths, as he's already 78 years old. But if the Cartholic church doesn't change, the next pope sure will break the record.

And now don't call me an anti-Catholicist: I am deeply, deeply anti-any-religion. It is my biggest amazement of life that anno 2005 people still follow constitutions founded 2000 years ago only to suppress societies.

Mathijs

Posted by: smilingsun ()
Date: April 20, 2005 13:14

Hey Mathijs, no matter how anti-religious I am, how can you possibly compare anyone to such a beast as Stalin. Stalin loved to kill people, pope just desperately doesn't understand today's world.

Date: April 20, 2005 13:16

smilingsun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Mathijs, no matter how anti-religious I am,
> how can you possibly compare anyone to such a
> beast as Stalin. Stalin loved to kill people, pope
> just desperately doesn't understand today's world.

But the results are the same, aren't they?

Mathijs

Posted by: FAH3 ()
Date: April 20, 2005 13:45

I think when the Pope purges the College of Cardinals because they are plotting against him he might be comparable to Stalin.

Date: April 20, 2005 13:50

Well, the pope secretely installed 6 new cardinals in the last two years to be sure that the next pope will be just as liberal as he is. It isn't quite the same as purging, but you can't say the Vatican is a democratic system...

Mathijs

Posted by: Smalltowns ()
Date: April 20, 2005 14:27

I'm a bavarian as well! I don't like Ratzinger! But in his hometown is a big party goin on with free beer for everyone! smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 20, 2005 14:36

"But in his hometown is a big party goin on with free beer for everyone!"

Shit, I always knew that I was born in a wrong town, not to mention wrong country and wrong religion...

- Doxa

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 20, 2005 15:35

Mathijs - not based on your comment about the pope, or religion in general. Nor your theroy the the US was responsible for Paul Pot. Not even your inane theroy of how the US will go bankrupt without Japaness investment dollars or your statement that those who died on 9/11 deserved what they got. None of those alone could be a basis for drawing any conclusion. But when you put them all together it draws a picture of an individual who acts like a @#$%& dunce. I'm beginning to think its not an act.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: April 20, 2005 16:05

Good point Bruno! Perhaps the church was involved in politics even earlier than the eight century, beeing the only real power in Europe when the Roman empire declined and faded out.

Your statements are embarrising Mathijs.

Posted by: arturo ()
Date: April 20, 2005 16:09

Thank God - The Rolling Stones are younger than the new pope - cheers

Date: April 20, 2005 16:27

I think you're right, I am a complete dunce. Totally bonkers. Knackered might be the word. Anyways:

> Mathijs - not based on your comment about the
> pope, or religion in general.

Yep, I am totally anti-religion, and complete astounded that people with sane minds anno 2005 can still be religious. I am just too much a scientist I guess. Does this make me a dunce? Aside from that, the Vatican, and the Vatican alone, is responsible for 25 million people dying of AIDS. It's not only being against condomn use, it's much more in education: to this day children in Brazil do not get proper sexual education as that is forbidden by the Catholic church. The general knowledge about sexual diseases, let alone unwanted pregnency's is virtually zero in Brazil. How can anyone close his eyes to this situation? The same story goes for many African countries. It's true that bigamie is a social event in many African countries, but with proper education the dissaster that is happening now could have been stopped, I am sure about that. You don't believe it? Visit Brazil as I did, live in Western-Africa for 1 year and Israel for another year, as I have done.

> Nor your theroy the US was responsible for Paul Pot.

Paul? The brother of Pol I guess? Well, that's not exactly my theory as I wasn't there at the time and I am no historian, but that's pretty much what history books tell. If you don't want to read a book, check any decent channel like Discovery, National Geographic or whatever. It's a bit the same way Saddam Hussein was supported by the US, as he was a handy help in the problems with Iran, and the US felt they could trust and rely on him.

> inane theroy of how the US will go bankrupt
> without Japaness investment dollars or your

Again (unfortunately...) not my theory, but by economists of Harvard and Erasmus University (both leaders in Economy Science). The theory is that the difficiency of the US has risen to 500 billion dollars due to Mr. Bush's administration. The biggest investors (and credit issuers) in the US are the Arabians and the Japanese. The Arabians pose no thread, but when a catastrophe happens in Tokyo (say, a giant earthquake) and the Japanese decide to demand their invested money back (or simply withdraw it), the total difficiency of the US will rise to such an extraordinary amount of money the total US Economy will collapse in a much much worse manner than the krach in 1933. Of course, this also isn't particularly good news to myself, as Holland is for 75 % depending on the US economy. Let's hope eartquakes won't happen in Japan, or that the economist are dead wrong!

> statement that those who died on 9/11 deserved
> what they got.

Ahh, such old hat. What I said (and you know this very well), is that America could have see this comming, or in hindsight could have understood why it happened instead of this wining and weeping and patriotic behaviour you see now in the US. Of course I would never ever imply that any American deserved this atrocious attack. But I did say that due to the American foreign policy -especially in Middle Eastern countries- a strike back could have been foreseen by the US government.

Mathijs
ps in reality I am a real nice guy, don't worry.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 20, 2005 16:33

Mathijs

I agree with almost everything you say as it relates to music in general and the Stones in particular. Very knowledgeable about guitar sounds, etc. However, I disagree with almost all of your views on religion and politics. As an American and a Christian, I respect your right to state your views. How many other nations in the world would let you state them as freely? Not too many.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 20, 2005 17:28

Then estimate the number of lifes saved through a peaceful breakdown of the east-west wall between Germany and Poland/Russia, thanks to diplomatic work from the Pope, and subtract that in the calculations.

Bjornulf

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1721
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home