Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061...LastNext
Current Page: 56 of 67
Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 26, 2021 01:13

NilsHolgersson
Wow cool song

Amazing to think that between them, Beck and Macca have won a total of 24 Grammys - 8 for Beck and 18 for Paul.
Personally I wouldn't think the original version of Pauls new album is Grammy-worthy, but given all the overwhelming rave/positive reviews it received in the press and eleswhere,
wouldn't surprise me if he wins another - or at least a nomination. And maybe this new collaborative version of the album will be nominated as well - could end up a double whammy Grammy for Paul.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-26 01:14 by Hairball.

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: March 26, 2021 01:16

I didn't realize this until about 6 months ago when I looked at some youtube clips - I don't really follow him - I like him and respect him but I'm a member of THIS page haha

It's a shame though about his voice - when I think about these older guys - it seems like Mick has been really lucky - his voice sounds about the same - still good and sounds like "him" - other than certain inflections he's developed in the last 25 or so years - hard for me to explain - you can't just tell a difference-

Another one of the older guys who has been lucky in the voice dept. is Alice Cooper - his voice sounds pretty much identical to the old days to my ears - the sad part is I haven't liked any of his stuff since Welcome To My Nightmare so ... -

It would be interesting to see how Lennon's voice would've been as he got older - 40 years old seems "young" to me now hahah

I hope Paul and all of them continue on with tunes and health - and that we get some new product from our beloved Rolling Stones-

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: March 26, 2021 01:16

When it comes to pop music I guess Paul is really the GOAT

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 26, 2021 01:23

cowboytoast
I didn't realize this until about 6 months ago when I looked at some youtube clips - I don't really follow him - I like him and respect him but I'm a member of THIS page haha

It's a shame though about his voice - when I think about these older guys - it seems like Mick has been really lucky - his voice sounds about the same - still good and sounds like "him" - other than certain inflections he's developed in the last 25 or so years - hard for me to explain - you can't just tell a difference-

Another one of the older guys who has been lucky in the voice dept. is Alice Cooper - his voice sounds pretty much identical to the old days to my ears - the sad part is I haven't liked any of his stuff since Welcome To My Nightmare so ... -

It would be interesting to see how Lennon's voice would've been as he got older - 40 years old seems "young" to me now hahah

I hope Paul and all of them continue on with tunes and health - and that we get some new product from our beloved Rolling Stones-

I would also put Steven Tyler and John Fogerty in the vocal department.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: March 26, 2021 01:23

And Tom Jones

Date: March 26, 2021 01:35

I remember Paul's voice sounding very weak at Desert Trip compared to the time I saw him a few years earlier. Thought it might have been an off night, but seems it's continued to get weaker as the years go by.
At the same time, Micks voice became trashed at Desert Trip to the point of him having to cancel the next show in *Vegas, and then struggled heavily at the second *Vegas show - so he's not fully immune to vocal probs.
Roger Daltry has had his share of vocal problems also, but he had some pre-cancerous throat problems that were thankfully taken care of, and while he doesn't sound like he used to, he still delivers when it matters.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 26, 2021 01:44

When I saw McCartney Summer 2019 in Vancouver, I'd read earlier reports of his voice not being too good. I was pleasantly surprised at the concert, it sounded good. Same as The Who in late 2019, the last show I've seen. Daltrey's voice sounded good.
Bruce Dickenson from Iron Maiden still sounds good as does Rob Halford from Judas Priest.

Date: March 26, 2021 02:03

DGA35
When I saw McCartney Summer 2019 in Vancouver, I'd read earlier reports of his voice not being too good. I was pleasantly surprised at the concert, it sounded good. Same as The Who in late 2019, the last show I've seen. Daltrey's voice sounded good.
Bruce Dickenson from Iron Maiden still sounds good as does Rob Halford from Judas Priest.

Daltrey's vocals were exceptionally great at both of the fantastic Hollywood Bowl Who shows I attended in 2019 - in fact the entire band was exceptionally great both nights.
And I saw Iron Maiden a few years earlier at the L.A. Forum, and Bruce Dickinson howled like a banshee throughout the night running around like a wild man.
Granted, at 62 he's still a spring chicken and nowhere near as old as any of the really old fogie rockers, but he is a survivor of throat cancer. Bruce

edit: Forgot to mention Daltrey's great and powerful performances at both Desert Trip weekends - sort of made both Paul and Mick's performances appear as the weakest links of the weekends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-26 02:39 by Hairball.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 26, 2021 02:32

shadooby
Man I love Paul, always have but he's really struggling vocally over the last 10-15 years or so. God bless him.

Very true. Some of his performances have been, ahem, disappointing.

That said... Went to see him when he was last in Melbourne, and I had vanishingly low expectations. Went with neighbours who "wanted to see a Beatle".

But, apart from a very few moments, he was really really good.

But your basic point is correct.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: March 26, 2021 02:39

yep i forgot about Steven Tyler - he still sounds pretty much the same too - haven't heard any new Fogerty-

I bought Paul's Egypt Station a few weeks ago used but I just couldn't get into it - I'm going to give it another spin and try - this last couple weeks I've been trying to compile my own compilation of these new outtakes like many of us here are -

Date: March 26, 2021 02:46

cowboytoast
yep i forgot about Steven Tyler - he still sounds pretty much the same too - haven't heard any new Fogerty-

I bought Paul's Egypt Station a few weeks ago used but I just couldn't get into it - I'm going to give it another spin and try - this last couple weeks I've been trying to compile my own compilation of these new outtakes like many of us here are -

The last Paul cd I bought was the greatest hits compilation Wingspan about 20 years ago, and really can't go wrong with that give or take a couple of silly tunes.
I've enjoyed a random occasional new tune or two from albums of his over the last few decades, but never enough to buy an entire album/cd, and I don't think I could name any of the titles.
I came close to buying this latest one, but I guess it sort of slipped my mind as things sometimes do, and pretty sure it can all be heard on youtube...ultimately was never a big Paul solo fan anyways.

Date: March 26, 2021 02:52

I do remember liking "Flaming Pie" - it was hot on the heels of the Anthology thing - so much I need to listen to again-

Paul's solo stuff was huge when I was a kid - all of those singles bring back memories of when I was 3-4 years old when I hear them - my brother is 10 years older - I'm 51 now and he would buy and blast out everything back then - thank God for him haha-

I've never lived in a world without Paul and Mick and the boys -

Date: March 26, 2021 04:02

I'm not too much older than you cowboytoast, and being born in '63 I've never lived in a world without the Beatles and Stones either.
I also had an older bro, but he was just four years older than me, and I used to sponge everything off of him whether he knew it or not...including pinching from his stash of weed.lol
Back on topic, I recall buying Paul's Red Rose Speedway album when I was nine in '73 - sort of an underrated/under the radar album, but had the big hit My Love...still like that song as it takes me right back.

Date: March 27, 2021 19:06

While the latest from Macca isn't quite his best imo, it is pretty good, and is certainly getting lots of positive reviews, press,
and all-around attention in general. And with the new remix album Imagined about to be unleashed, seems it's getting a second wind in the press.

From NME:

Beck shares his take on Paul McCartney’s ‘Find My Way’ from ‘McCartney III Imagined’

Beck says he wanted to "take the song completely somewhere unexpected"

Beck/Macca

Beck has shared his take on Paul McCartney‘s ‘Find My Way’, after recording the track for a re-worked version of ‘McCartney III’.
The singer’s new cover is the second track to emerge from the album, after Dominic Fike previously debuted a hypnotic cover of ‘The Kiss of Venus’.
While the funk-laden core of the track remains intact, the new offering sees Beck providing vocals and McCartney on guitar duties.

Explaining how the remix initially came about in an interview on Zane Lowe’s Apple Music 1 show, Beck said: “He [McCartney] just sent me that particular tune, so I just went right into it. The way I work with remixes is I’ll take the vocal and then I’ll just start from scratch. “I’ll just build a whole new song. And that particular song, I actually changed it from major to minor, so I had to do a little bit of altering, but I think it served the groove a bit. “And also Paul did the album himself as well, playing on the instruments. So it’s sort of done in the spirit of the record that he made. I think that’s what is great about remixes is to completely take liberties and take the song completely somewhere unexpected.”

He also opened up on the first time he met McCartney in the early 2000s. “I think Nigel Godrich, who’s produced a few of my records, was doing a record with him,” Beck said. “So I went to go hang out with them in the studio a few times and got to learn things they were working on that never came out. He’s a legend, and over the years we’ve hung out. We did a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame thing. Been up to the house before, he’s the greatest.”

In a four-star review of McCartney III, NME‘s Mark Beaumont called it “a stellar return to his three-decade-spanning series”. He added: “If future archaeologists take this three-album series as a significant marker of his solo half-century, they’ll conclude that Paul McCartney never stopped liberating.” Last month, McCartney announced a career-spanning book about his life through 154 songs from his back catalogue.

-------------------------------------------

And a statement from Beck:

"I remember hanging out with Paul and his wife Nancy several years ago and Nancy mentioned that she wanted to go out dancing before calling it a night. We ended up at some club in West Hollywood and I remember noticing that Paul and Nancy were TEARING IT UP—really enjoying themselves more than anyone else on the dance floor. Last year when he asked me to remix this track, I remembered that night and wanted to try to recapture that amazing spirit I felt while watching him on the dance floor… sort of my little tribute to Paul “in his groove.” When I then heard the falsetto vocal in Paul’s original track I wanted to lean further into something really loose and funky—I pulled out my Hofner (because of course) and put down a few bass lines… and everything came to life from there. The best part of the entire experience, though, came a week after I’d turned in the remix, when Paul called to tell me he’d been dancing in his kitchen to the track all week." - Beck

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 1, 2021 13:20

1971 album RAM reissued 14-May-2021 for its 50th Anniversary as Limited Edition half-speed mastered Vinyl - [www.SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

RAM ON - 14-May-2021 (CD only) - Tribute-Album: RAM has been covered in its entirety by a collective of musicians - [www.SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-02 13:40 by Irix.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: April 3, 2021 16:55

lol, I hate to say that I am just now noticing the backwards lyrics in "Deep Deep Feeling" starting at 6:20. Nice.

I gave McCartney III another spin yesterday. It's a very good album that makes an enjoyable listen. "Seize The Day" grew on me. "Pretty Boys" is the only track I skip.

I hope "IIImagined" leads to some collaborations between Paul and any or all of those other artists. I think that would be really interesting. Paul's pretty good at co-writing songs, ya know.

Date: April 7, 2021 20:18

I thought the original version of Slidin' was pretty good and edgy coming from good old Macca,
but this new 'Imagined' remix with Radiohead guitar player Ed O'brien takes it to another level of intensity.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 8, 2021 00:46

Dunno, apart from clicking on x1.25 and turning the volume knob to 15 and creating this horrible distortion all over I'm not sure what this achieves. I'm surprised Dave Grohl wasn't drafted in for that track.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-11 01:31 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 8, 2021 00:56

FM mall rock noise ....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 8, 2021 01:56

gotdablouse
Dunno, apart from clicking on x1.25 and turning the volume know to 15 and creating this horrible distortion all over I'm not sure what this achieves. I'm surprised Dave Grohl wasn't drafted in for that track.

Never been much of a fan of Radiohead, but guitarist Ed O'brien gives this tune a rougher/contemporary edge - reminds me a bit of some crazy good Industrial rock ala Ministry
Speaking of Dave Grohl, kind of surprised he's not on any of the Imagined tracks, but he's already had several collaborations with Paul in the past both studio and on stage. I suppose Paul preferred to keep this all fresh.

Date: April 9, 2021 08:20

Hairball
Never been much of a fan of Radiohead, but guitarist Ed O'brien gives this tune a rougher/contemporary edge - reminds me a bit of some crazy good Industrial rock ala Ministry
Speaking of Dave Grohl, kind of surprised he's not on any of the Imagined tracks, but he's already had several collaborations with Paul in the past both studio and on stage. I suppose Paul preferred to keep this all fresh.

It seems to me Paul is in a way expanding on what Lil Nas X did in keeping "Old Town Road" on the charts with a long string of remixes. It also echoes back to "Thrillington" Paul's reimagining of "Ram". Someone on the YouTube comments for the "Slidin" remix also hoped that these tracks might open the door for collaborations with some or all of these artists. Conceptually it would make for an interesting set of three albums and continue the motif.

I like this version of "Slidin". It does sound modern, and has both a heavy feel and a lighter touch on the chorus. I don't know if I say it's the strongest of the three tracks released so far. I look forward to hearing it in the context of the whole record.

Date: April 13, 2021 08:42

A mostly positive review of McCartney III Imagined:

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/paul_mccartney_iii_imagined_album_review

I'm still not 100% sure when this is coming out. Amazon says it's being released July 23 on my pre-order, while the rest of the internet says April 16.

Date: April 13, 2021 12:00

jahisnotdead

I'm still not 100% sure when this is coming out.

The release date is split - digital release on April, 16 and physical release on July, 23 - [www.Qobuz.com] , [www.jpc.de] .

Date: April 15, 2021 07:31

jahisnotdead
A mostly positive review of McCartney III Imagined:

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/paul_mccartney_iii_imagined_album_review

I'm still not 100% sure when this is coming out. Amazon says it's being released July 23 on my pre-order, while the rest of the internet says April 16.

Here's another positive and quite lenghty review - 4 out of 5 stars from NME:

Paul McCartney – ‘McCartney III: Imagined’ review: Macca shines with a little help from his friends

The Beatle showcases charming reworks of his recent album, with kaleidoscopic input from Beck, St. Vincent, Josh Homme, Anderson .Paak and more

Macca Imagined

The artwork to ‘FourFiveSeconds’, Paul McCartney’s 2015 chart-busting team-up with Rihanna and Kanye West, is a sight to behold. Kanye and RiRi are a natural, brilliant pairing, but your eye is drawn to Macca’s sheepishness. He wields an acoustic guitar as if to say, ‘Psst! Looky here! I play the guitar on this song! That’s why I’m here!’. It’s not such a bad idea, given that McCartney said he’d barely even realised his riff from the recording sessions would end up on the song. He later joked about the tongue-in-cheek response that West had done him a favour: “I mean, there’s a lot of people who think Kanye discovered me,” he told GQ in 2018. Ever the optimist, he brushed past the eyebrow-raising implication: is Paul McCartney finally old news? The response to his solo material for several decades had been polite, albeit muted. Perhaps ‘McCartney III: Imagined’ – an expansive, heartwarming covers-slash-remix album of his 2020 album of the same name – harks back to that moment; an opportunity to remind the sceptics and convince the newbies that this Beatle isn’t old hat, and that both contemporaries and admirers alike are ready to drop everything to work with him.

Over five decades, the ‘McCartney’ album series offered its namesake a decade-spanning odyssey of musical experimentation. 1970’s lo-fi instalment was released 10 days after his public announcement that he had left The Beatles for good; The Guardian initially called it an album of “no substance”, its triumphs perhaps soured by the news of the band’s demise. Its legacy, alongside that of 1980’s freaky electro-infused sequel, has improved with time – this was, essentially, one of the first ever ‘bedroom pop’ albums, pieced together on a four-track recorder with few thrills. And what better time than “rockdown”, as McCartney gleefully calls it, to turn this thing into a trilogy? As with the first two, he plays almost all of the instruments heard on ‘McCartney III’ , with little outside input. The four star NME review said that the album was “as much about liberation as isolation” and called the completion of the series “as a significant marker of his solo half-century”. ‘McCartney III: Imagined’, then is a vibrant, well-earned victory lap. In what’s been billed as a “personally curated” roll-call of existing friends and new acquaintances, McCartney takes a step back and hands over complete control of a song each to his collaborators. Some have used the opportunity to insert their own twist on Macca’s songwriting in the shape of a cover, while others merely mess around with the provided colours in the palette for their own gain; both approaches are intriguing.

The guestlist is an astounding snapshot of modern music, plenty of its artists at the peak of their powers. Well-known fans in the shape of Beck, Damon Albarn, Josh Homme and Radiohead guitarist Ed O’Brien rub shoulders with trendy modern stars including Khruangbin, Blood Orange and St Vincent, as well as some who may be complete newbies, like shit-hot US exports Dominic Fike and Phoebe Bridgers. The disciples savoured the moment; St Vincent recently told NME that getting Macca’s thumbs-up for her version of ‘Women And Wives’ was “the best moment of her life”. ‘McCartney III’’s freshness lends it to both faithful covers and complete rewrites – there’s no baggage to these songs. Dominic Fike’s version of ‘The Kiss of Venus’ – warped through squelchy R&B – does a bit of both; his interpretation retains the gooey sentiment (“She scored a bullseye in the early morning glow”) but contrasts it with his own doomy take on modern-day discourse (“Have you read the paper? / People talking about which side they’re taking”), outing himself as one of the few Gen Zers who prefer getting their fingers inky to a cramp-inducing doom-scroll. Texas psych-funkers Khruangbin pitch McCartney’s original vocals down for their own trippy gain on ‘Pretty Girls’, while Damon Albarn’s dubby take on ‘Long Tailed Winter Bird’ provides the previously instrumental track with a dash of Gorillaz-style character. Massive Attack’s 3D takes 11-minute closer ‘Deep Deep Feeling’ down a long and winding road that concludes in the ravey dimensions McCartney dabbled with on 1980’s ludicrously fun ‘Temporary Secretary’. Those who daren’t deviate too far from the original have just as much success. St. Vincent’s slinky take finds success as their rock backgrounds converge, while Phoebe Bridgers’ ‘Seize The Day’ yanks Macca the same warped world as her 2020 breakthrough album ‘Punisher’. Anderson .Paak’s subtle tweaks on the already gorgeous ‘When Winter Comes’ turns Macca’s to-do list (“fix the fence by the acre plot… dig a drain by the carrot patch”) into gorgeous, lo-fi soul. Macca started the song with the intent of “warm[ing] our toes” on his chilly Surrey farm, but Anderson’s are dug deep into the Golden State native’s sandy beaches.

‘McCartney III: Imagined’ is another fine entry into the self-titled collection. The sheer star-power and respect from contemporaries and newbies is another flex that proves the endeavour, which started over 51 years ago, was a worthy one. And, hey, perhaps he can do Kanye a favour and pop him on ‘McCartney IV: Redux’.

Date: April 15, 2021 17:25

McCartney III Imagined - preview-snippets of all 11 Tracks - [Music.Apple.com] .

Date: April 16, 2021 03:30

Thanks Irix - finally got to hear a snippet of the Damon Albarn remix of Long Tailed Winter Bird which I'd been looking forward to.
Sounds sort of like what I anticipated, but perhaps a bit more minimal...definitely remixed and given his personal stamp compared to the original.
A nice improvement imo, and looking forward to hearing the entire tune along with the rest of the tracks in full.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-16 03:35 by Hairball.

Date: April 16, 2021 11:20

Date: April 16, 2021 11:30

McCartney III Imagined - (Official Visualizer):

1. Find My Way (feat. Beck) - [www.YouTube.com]

2. The Kiss Of Venus (Dominic Fike) - [www.YouTube.com]

3. Pretty Boys (feat. Khruangbin) - [www.YouTube.com]

4. Women And Wives (St. Vincent Remix) - [www.YouTube.com]

5. Deep Down (Blood Orange Remix) - [www.YouTube.com]

6. Seize The Day (feat. Phoebe Bridgers) - [www.YouTube.com]

7. Slidin' (EOB Remix) - [www.YouTube.com]

8. Long Tailed Winter Bird (Damon Albarn Remix) - [www.YouTube.com]

9. Lavatory Lil (Josh Homme) - [www.YouTube.com]

10. When Winter Comes (Anderson .Paak Remix) - [www.YouTube.com]

11. Deep Deep Feeling (3D RDN Remix) - [www.YouTube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-16 11:50 by Irix.

Date: April 16, 2021 12:12

I pre-ordered the digital edition last night. Nothing yet except a link to download the album art.

Date: April 16, 2021 13:48

First listen reactions to all but Find My Way, The Kiss Of Venus, and Slidin'.

-

1. Find My Way (feat. Beck) - I guess I never noticed that Paul and Beck's voices have similar timbre. This is a pretty cool midtempo dance version with a enjoyable groove. I like it, even though it's not really outstanding.

2. The Kiss Of Venus (Dominic Fike) - I like this track very much, Fike added some nice new elements to the song that I think actually built upon Paul's melodies in a way that enhanced the song without feeling at all incongruous.

3. Pretty Boys (feat. Khruangbin) - Looks like someone forgot to add Khruangbin's name to the video title. The original "Pretty Boys" is the only clunker on "McCartney III" for me, so I'm really happy with this total reinvention that seems to have entirely new music with occasional snippets of Paul's vocals. This one is excellent.

4. Women And Wives (St. Vincent Remix) - Fantastic. I think this one is actually better than the original. She found the groove and enhanced it without deviating from it that much. Great work.

5. Deep Down (Blood Orange Remix) - Deemphasizes the main synth horn riff of the original with a pretty different and enjoyable remix. I don't it's better than the original version, though.

6. Seize The Day (feat. Phoebe Bridgers) - Paul's version took some time to grow on me, and maybe this one will too. But I don't really like this on the first listen. For some reason the thudding rumbling bass doesn't mesh with her overly delicate vocals.

7. Slidin' (EOB Remix) - Yes, this remix is pretty good, even though it's not amazing. "Slidin'" is the type of song that benefits from a slightly faster tempo and heavier sound.

8. Long Tailed Winter Bird (Damon Albarn Remix) - Very different remix, low key electronica. I don't think it improves on the original, but it's an enjoyable remix, certainly listenable.

9. Lavatory Lil (Josh Homme) - I like this unexpectedly softer cover. Taking a lighter approach helped.

10. When Winter Comes (Anderson .Paak Remix) - I don't think this one works for me at all. It's just not the type of song that lends itself to this type of remix. The jittery drums don't match.

11. Deep Deep Feeling (3D RDN Remix) - Some real evocation of the electronica from "McCartney II" with a remix featuring a "Temporary Secretary"-esque riff. Normally this would appeal to me, and I appreciate the trippiness, but I don't think there's a unifying musical vision for this remix.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061...LastNext
Current Page: 56 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1368
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home