Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667Next
Current Page: 64 of 67
Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 18, 2022 15:54

A very big happy birthday to UK national treasure Sir Macca, 80 today and still writing, recording and playing live. Catch him.live headlining Glastonbury next Saturday night. I believe it's live on the BBC.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 18, 2022 22:44

Headlining Glastonbury next weekend...amazing...Happy Birthday PAUL McCARTNEY!!!!

From the Guardian:

Sir Ringo Starr among those wishing Sir Paul McCartney a happy 80th birthday > Macca 80

The long and winding road............................

OT: Paul McCartney stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 26, 2022 15:45

Paul McCartney at Glastonbury 2022 review: Springsteen, Grohl and a euphoric trip through time

Alexis Petridis
Sun 26 Jun 2022

Harry Durrant/Getty Images

[www.theguardian.com]

OT: Paul McCartney stuff
Date: June 26, 2022 15:52

Paul McCartney, Glastonbury review: One of the all-time great Pyramid Stage sets

Over three golden hours that featured a duet with John Lennon, McCartney served up one absolutely storming classic after another

By Neil McCormick
26 June 2022

WIREIMAGE

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Re: OT: Paul McCartney stuff
Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: June 26, 2022 16:20

bye bye johnny
Paul McCartney at Glastonbury 2022 review: Springsteen, Grohl and a euphoric trip through time

Alexis Petridis
Sun 26 Jun 2022

Harry Durrant/Getty Images

[www.theguardian.com]

Great picture. Abe Laboriel is so cool. Springsteen always looks like he's having a blast.

It's funny to me that Grohl is one of the best rock drummers of his generation and now makes his living singing and playing guitar.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 26, 2022 16:30

Paul McCartney Glastonbury 2022 setlist - [www.BBC.com] , [www.NME.com] :

01. Can't Buy Me Love
02. Junior's Farm
03. Letting Go
04. Got To Get You Into My Life
05. Come On To Me
06. Let Me Roll It
07. Getting Better
08. Let 'Em In
09. My Valentine
10. 1985
11. Maybe I'm Amazed
12. I've Just Seen A Face
13. In Spite Of All The Danger
14. Love Me Do
15. Dance Tonight
16. Blackbird
17. Here Today
18. New
19. Lady Madonna
20. Fuh You
21. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!
22. Something
23. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
24. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
25. Get Back
26. I Saw Her Standing There (with Dave Grohl)
27. Band On The Run (with Dave Grohl)
28. Glory Days (Cover with Bruce Springsteen)
29. I Wanna Be Your Man (with Bruce Springsteen)
30. Let It Be
31. Live And Let Die
32. Hey Jude
33. I've Got A Feeling (virtual duet with John Lennon)
34. Helter Skelter
35. Golden Slumbers / Carry That Weight
36. The End (with Dave Grohl & Bruce Springsteen)

(Duration: 2h:40mins)

Date: June 26, 2022 16:30

Some other reviews of Paul McCartney at Glastonbury 2022: [www.NME.com] , [www.Independent.co.uk] , [www.BBC.com] .

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 26, 2022 20:22

How does an80 year old play for over3 hours

Date: June 26, 2022 20:45

2 hours : 40 minutes are not over 3 hours ....

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: June 26, 2022 21:00

Stones in the Park and Macca headlining Glasto on the same night in 2022, Amazing, really.The world will never see the likes of it again.

Posted by: richie26188 ()
Date: June 26, 2022 21:07

A completely different set from his first headline appearance all those years ago, equally brilliant but probably even more moving.

Couldn’t help but feel a little sad last night watching him. Still hitting it out the park but just like The Stones you know we’re on the home straight. They’re the modern day Beethoven, Mozart. Cherish every gig they play, take joy in the moment and be grateful to have be fortunate enough to be alive when they have been. In 2-300 years they’ll still be playing their masterpieces

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 26, 2022 21:58

Irix
2 hours : 40 minutes are not over 3 hours ....
How does an80 year old man play for 2 hours 40 minutes

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 26, 2022 23:06

fence droppers down the back of his trousers ......

ROCKMAN

Date: June 27, 2022 00:13

Incredible reviews of Paul at Glastonbury posted above, and then there was this surprise show the night before.

From UCR:

Paul McCartney Plays Intimate Pre-Glastonbury Concert: Set List
Allison Rapp

Macca

Paul McCartney performed a surprise warm-up show ahead of his appearance at Glastonbury this weekend. The gig, which took place today at the Cheese & Grain in Frome, England, was announced last night (June 23). With a venue capacity of only 800, tickets were extremely limited. “What an incredible opportunity to watch Paul warm up for his Glastonbury headlining performance this weekend," the Cheese & Grain wrote in a statement on their website. "What an amazing treat…we are told this won’t be his normal set either so should be an afternoon full of wonderful surprises.” Tickets to the concert were so coveted that traffic into and out of Frome slowed to a standstill. “The roads were rammed, the place was gridlocked, the police had to arrive as you had to come in person and [get] tickets," one hopeful fan arriving for the show told a reporter on site (via Yahoo! Sport.) Tickets, which sold for £25 ($30.67) a piece, were only available in-person at the box office.

At the Cheese & Grain, McCartney performed an impressive 25-song set list, which included Beatles classics, Wings songs and solo numbers. There were multiple notable attendees: George Harrison's widow, Olivia Harrison, comedian Judd Apatow, actress Leslie Mann, AC/DC's Brian Johnson and pop star Olivia Rodrigo. “Ok so there does come a time when we’ve got to go and it coincides with the time you’ve got to go. Most of all we want to thank you for coming along and having a ball with us tonight!” McCartney said at the end of the concert (via NME). “Thank you Frome-anians, we had a good time in here tonight. This was a good idea.” When McCartney, who turned 80 last week, appears on the Glastonbury stage tomorrow, he will be the oldest ever solo headliner. It will also mark his 500th performance with his current band. Over 200,000 people are expected to attend the festival.

1. "I Wanna Be Your Man"
2. "Juniors Farm"
3. "Letting Go"
4. "Got to Get You Into My Life"
5. "Come Onto Me"
6. "Let Me Roll It"
7. "Getting Better"
8. "My Valentine"
9. "1985"
10. "Maybe I’m Amazed"
11. "I’ve Just Seen a Face"
12. "From Me to You"
13. "Blackbird"
14. "Fuh You"
15. "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da"
16. "Out of College"
17. "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window"
18. "Get Back"
19. "Lady Madonna"
20. "Band on the Run"
21. "Let It Be"
22. "Hey Jude"
23. "Birthday"
24. "Helter Skelter"
25. "Golden Slumbers"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-27 00:14 by Hairball.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 27, 2022 00:19

16. "Out of College"

That article was written by a big fan ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: June 27, 2022 00:58

And according to Mary McCartney's Instagram post, last night's show was #500 with Paul's current band.

What a run, and what a show to mark the occasion.

Date: June 27, 2022 01:00

WorriedAboutYou
Stones in the Park and Macca headlining Glasto on the same night in 2022, Amazing, really.The world will never see the likes of it again.

And both of them reportedly giving amazing shows. You are right, it is really something else.

Date: June 27, 2022 01:07

gotdablouse
16. "Out of College"

Longtime Telegraph music writer Neil McCormick's review noted Dave Grohl joined for "Just Seventeen".

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 27, 2022 04:16

80 years old and playing back to back shows. Wow. Just wow. I'd give anything for the Stones to do a 25 song setlist still....I don't think I've ever seen that. Even back on Bridges, I think it was only 24??

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: June 27, 2022 10:32

gotdablouse
16. "Out of College"

They start the song from the "out of college"-segment during this tour, as far as I know. This explains it smiling smiley.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 27, 2022 13:10

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Did Paul McCartney upstage the Stones in Hyde Park at the Glastonbury show?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 27, 2022 03:43

Doubts were expressed when Paul McCartney was announced as the headliner for this year's Glastonbury Festival in southwest England. For one thing, the co-founder of the Beatles just turned 80 years old—four times the age of Billie Eilish, who also performed at the festival. The skeptics are singing a different tune now, after McCartney played 36 song set for 2 hours, 50 minutes on Saturday night, a show UK reviewers and concertgoers called historic and brilliant, the Guardian reports. The Sunday Telegraph found the performance "one of the most thrilling, uplifting, banger-filled, star-studded sets this 50-plus-year-old festival had ever seen."

McCartney had help from friends: Bruce Springsteen and Dave Grohl joined him onstage for several songs. Using Peter Jackson special effects, he sang "I've Got a Feeling" with John Lennon. He played "Something" on a ukulele given to him by George Harrison. More than 100,000 people attended the concert in person—the biggest crowd ever at the Pyramid stage—while 4 million watched on TV on a delay. This year's event was a celebration of the festival's 50th anniversary, delayed by the pandemic, per CNBC. Fans began staking out spots in front of the stage more than 12 hours before the concert began, per the BBC. They saw a performance that a Guardian reviewer called "about as thrilling as pop music gets."

Actor-comedian Steve Coogan told the BBC, "I don’t think there’s anyone else in the world who can just give such unadulterated joy to people." Many fans had not seen McCartney play live before, such as Sorcha Ingram, 25. "I had the time of my life," she said, adding that the Beatles are "where my music taste stems from." Many, including James Jack, 35, said they would tell their grandchildren about the show someday. "Musically, it was up there with one of the most seminal moments of my life," he said. "It exceeded all expectations," said Richard Martin, 75, who'd never seen McCartney or the Beatles. "My wife has," he said, "she was one of those screaming teenagers." On Friday night, Billie Eilish became the festival’s youngest solo headliner when she took to the same stage, per the Independent. "The Beatles were what raised me," she said.

Says The Guardian of the Stones show:

The Stones may no longer be "the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world" (is anyone?), but their muscle memory and catalogue mean they are still a fearsome force once they're in full flow. The presentation, too, is stunning. There are no fancy props on stage, but the band are enveloped on huge screens, which during Sympathy for the Devil portray the trees of Hyde Park in flames, while firepots belch orange flame and drape the front 30 or 40 yards of the crowd in smoke. It's thrillingly effective, and only the delighted whoops of 65,000 or so prevent it feeling suitably demonic.

The Daily Mail headline: Mick Jagger, 78, is back fighting fit as he gives energetic performance with The Rolling Stones at British Summer Time Festival in Hyde Park

Re: Did Paul McCartney upstage the Stones in Hyde Park at the Glastonbury show?
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: June 27, 2022 03:54

Paul clearly cares about his fans and his legacy, so you get a 36 song set, while The Stones play a 19 song set, and basically with a couple of changes here and there is the same set they been doing for the last 20+ years, So Paul hands down....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: June 27, 2022 04:01

Well, I have only seen McCartney 3 times now so I just might appreciate a McCartney show more. Flew to Oakland rather than seeing him at SoFi.

And it was the fact that it was on the BBC so millions could experience it that made it more remarkable, not just the fact that it happened.

Set length, variety, etc mean nothing to me as most of the best shows I have seen in my life have run in the 60-90 min range anyway and a good show might hold up more than once. Quite possibly my most watched Glastonbury video is Dakhabrakha from 2016.

To me, inferior special guests often add unnecessary clutter but in the interest of maintaining current relationships I am going to have to start going easy on Dave.

Date: June 27, 2022 04:12

Depends on who you ask, but this quote from Mark Beaumont of the Independent speaks volumes on what he thinks:

"McCartney’s available canon is the greatest in music by such a vast degree that any couple of hours plucked from it at random would be the best gig of any particular year"

More: Paul McCartney, Glastonbury 2022 - > 5 STARS

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: June 27, 2022 04:29

Paul's voice is not acceptable anymore. Mick has held up much better.

If you think Paul is the world's best live act in 2022 you should probably widen your horizons a bit.

Date: June 27, 2022 04:40

Credit to Bob Cronin of Newser for the article.

[www.newser.com]

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: June 27, 2022 04:48

yeababyyea

If you think Paul is the world's best live act in 2022 you should probably widen your horizons a bit.

Paul's voice is just fine, when it comes to interpreting perhaps the greatest catalog of music the world will ever hear. With his age and ability it adds charm, like Helter Skelter in Oakland where he nailed the scream then his voice cracked the next verse with a slight smirk.

And like Paul with Abe, can Mick do it without 2-3 voices blended underneath for most of the set? Can't say I ever hear anything more cringeworthy at any show than when Bernard is too high in the mix.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 27, 2022 05:38

yeababyyea

All the old voices are shot. God knows what you'll get at a Dylan gig. Paul's voice is shot. Rod Stewart's voice is shot. Mick's voice is still listenable, but there's no emotion behind it, just barking out the well-worn lyrics. They said they were going to push the boundary and see how far this thing could go. Credibly? We're there.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 27, 2022 08:53

There are few things in life funnier than the Beatles and their fans.

I can see it now, all misty eyed sitting there listening to that pop drivel thinking they’re listening to rock and roll.
Did he break out maxwells silver hammer or rocky raccoon? That must’ve been riveting.
I saw him in 1976 when he could still sing and it was maybe the 3rd or 4th best show I saw that year.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667Next
Current Page: 64 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1665
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home