Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667Next
Current Page: 63 of 67
Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 30, 2022 23:03

Hairball
From Consequence of Sound:

Paul McCartney Kicks Off 2022 North American Tour in Spokane
McCartney's first US outing in three years featured a virtual duet with John Lennon

Spokane

'The vision of a grinning Lennon filled the screens above McCartney as the duo traded verses
in what was easily one of the most stirring performances of the night'

Early into the opening night of the “Got Back Tour” on Thursday (April 28th), Paul McCartney pointed out an attendee’s sign held aloft. It displayed a message that this night in Spokane, Washington — McCartney’s first live show since July 2019 — marked the fan’s 124th McCartney concert. “It’s beautiful, we love it,” the Beatle said as cameras flashed the sign to the 12,000-plus folks filling Spokane Arena. “But it’s slightly obsessive.” McCartney’s deadpan humor didn’t disappear during his time off the road, nor did his ability to craft a stunning, nearly three-hour set that somehow manages to thrill the Beatlemaniacs, give proper due to his too-often-neglected Wings work, and slip in a few surprises and new songs as well. Even so, with a catalog as stacked as McCartney’s, it’s impossible to include every “Jet,” “Back in the U.S.S.R.” and “A Hard Day’s Night” when you want to showcase tunes from your most recent albums. “Women and Wives” from 2020’s McCartney III made its live debut, and he played two songs from 2018’s Egypt Station (“Fuh You” and “Come On To Me”). The kickoff of the “Got Back Tour” was an unusually intimate affair for a McCartney roadtrip. Spokane Arena, tucked in a small city in Eastern Washington, is by far the smallest venue he’ll play on his “Got Back Tour,” a jaunt that includes shows at SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles, Fenway Park in Boston and Met Life Stadium in New Jersey. The chance to see McCartney this up close and personal made for a crowd that seemed — judging by McCartney’s own informal poll from the stage — split nearly equally between locals and people who’d traveled to catch McCartney’s first concert of 2022. McCartney hit the stage in his typical casual jeans-and-blazer combo, joined by his long-time band to tear into “Can’t Buy Me Love,” followed quickly by Wings’ “Junior’s Farm” and “Letting Go.”

While McCartney opened the show playing his iconic Hofner bass at center stage, throughout the show he would bounce between myriad instruments — pianos, naturally, for songs like “Hey Jude,” “My Valentine” and “Maybe I’m Amazed,” but also electric guitar and mandolin. At one point, he brought out a ukulele he explained was a gift from George Harrison before paying tribute to his former bandmate with a cover of Harrison’s “Something” that evolved from simple acoustic strumming into a powerful, fully electrified wonder. Someone like McCartney doesn’t need any additional hype to pack his concerts, given the generations of fans on hand thrilled to be experiencing just a taste of Beatlemania in person. But the pandemic pause that pushed McCartney off the road in 2019 and forced the cancellation of a planned lengthy 2020 tour added to the excitement of his return to the live stage Thursday. And Peter Jackson’s 2021 The Beatles: Get Back documentary remarkably managed to raise McCartney’s profile to new heights as both casual fans and Beatles fanatics got a new glimpse into just what a driving, creative force he was in the context of the Fab Four. Among four unquestionable geniuses, the youthful McCartney (just 26 during the recording of Let It Be documented in Jackson’s film) clearly was the leader of the pack. McCartney made mention of Jackson’s film more than once Thursday night, incorporating several clips into his splashy video display that engulfed the rear of the stage. The “Got Back” tour moniker is an obvious nod to the film, but its presence was felt most dramatically when McCartney returned to stage for his encore (carrying a Ukrainian flag in a nod to the world outside the arena) and said, “You want some more? We have something special for you.” With that, McCartney duetted with John Lennon on “I’ve Got A Feeling,” using audio culled from the famous rooftop concert, the Beatles’ last public performance together. The vision of a grinning Lennon filled the screens above McCartney as the duo traded verses in what was easily one of the most stirring performances of the night. The youthful McCartney on display via video was a stark contrast to the real-life McCartney on stage, at least physically. Still remarkably energetic and spry as he readies to turn 80 in June, McCartney’s age is showing in his face, a somewhat jarring juxtaposition if the last time you saw him was in the Get Back doc. His voice, though, remains in fine form, holding up remarkably well over a three-hour set even if his distinct screams aren’t quite as vivid as they used to be.

While much of the setlist echoed those songs played on his “Freshen Up Tour” in 2019, there were some noteworthy additions. “Getting Better” found its way into a show for the first time since 2003, as did “You Never Give Me Your Money” as part of an Abbey Road medley, which also included “She Came In Through The Bathroom Window” making its first appearance in a McCartney set since 2008. McCartney’s band is incredible, as you’d expect, and has been with him since 2002. Abe Laboriel, Jr., is a powerhouse drummer, Rusty Anderson rips off concise, searing solos, Brian Ray deftly shifts between guitar and bass depending on what McCartney’s up to, and keyboardist/multi-instrumentalist Wix Wickens fleshes out everything from the simplest early tunes (“Birthday,” “Love Me Do”) to more ornate fare (“Live and Let Die,” the show-closing “The End”) with style. McCartney is once again packing the three-piece Hot City Horns on the “Got Back Tour,” and their inclusion on several songs, particularly Wings’ “1985,” and the Beatles’ “Lady Madonna,” gave those songs added life. McCartney’s spirits were high, but no match for an audience who relished his requests to “give us a Beatles scream” or who laughed and cheered when asked, “Let’s hear it for grandparents!” He remarked on how thankful he was to be able to play “back together, in the same room.” But the most poignant moment of the night came as McCartney introduced “Here Today,” a song he wrote for Lennon shortly after his friend’s murder — a song he said expressed the love he had for Lennon, but didn’t express before his was lost. “If there’s someone you want to say it to, get it said!” McCartney declared. Words to live by, no matter your age.

Paul McCartney next plays Seattle, WA at Climate Pledge Arena on Monday, May 2nd. Tickets for that gig, and for the rest of the tour, are available via Ticketmaster.

Setlist:
Can’t Buy Me Love (The Beatles)
Junior’s Farm (Wings)
Letting Go (Wings)
Got To Get You Into My Life (The Beatles)
Come On To Me
Let Me Roll It (Wings)
Getting Better (The Beatles) (First time since 2003)
Women & Wives (Live debut)
My Valentine
1985 (Wings)
Maybe I’m Amazed
I’ve Just Seen A Face (The Beatles)
In Spite Of All The Danger (The Quarrymen)
Love Me Do (The Beatles)
Dance Tonight
Blackbird (The Beatles)
Here Today
Queenie Eye
Lady Madonna (The Beatles)
Fuh You
Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite (The Beatles)
Something (The Beatles)
Ob La Di Ob La Da (The Beatles)
You Never Give Me Your Money (The Beatles) (First time since 2003)
She Came in Through the Bathroom Window (The Beatles) (First time since 2008)
Get Back (The Beatles)
Band On The Run (Wings)
Let It Be (The Beatles)
Live And Let Die (Wings)
Hey Jude (The Beatles)

Encore:
I’ve Got A Feeling (The Beatles)
Birthday (The Beatles)
Helter Skelter (The Beatles)
Golden Slumbers (The Beatles)
Carry That Weight (The Beatles)
The End (The Beatles)

Epic! Not playing She Came in Through the Bathroom Window just before Golden Slumbers was a missed opportunity though.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 14, 2022 03:46

Paul is playing at SoFi stadium in L.A. tonight just down the road about 60 miles from me, but no not gonna be there.
Instead, seeing and reading lots of news stories about Paul and the Beatles on local tv and in the press such as this story published two days ago:

Paul McCartney Returns to Los Angeles: Looking Back on The Beatles’ Local History

As Paul McCartney hits the stage in Inglewood on Friday, Los Angeles magazine reflects on the most memorable local Beatles performances with the authors of ”The Beatles in Los Angeles”
By Joe Siyam

Macca

Fans are already planning their journey to SoFi Stadium in Inglewood on May 13 as Paul McCartney takes his Got Back tour to the home of the Super Bowl Champion Los Angeles Rams.
Nearly 60 years after The Beatles first album, Please Please Me, was released, McCartney, who turns 80 on June 18, is still going strong and filling packed stadiums and arenas. More than 70,000 people will crowd SoFi for the sold out concert on Friday. McCartney has been spotted twice recently in L.A., once on a double date with Ringo Starr and their wives and once hiking in the Hollywood Hills.

As McCartney performs in Los Angeles for the first time since his Dodger Stadium concert on July 13, 2019, Los Angeles magazine speaks with the authors of The Beatles in Los Angeles: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow, Jeremy Louwerse, and Tom Weitzel, about some of the most important local moments in Beatles history and some little known Beatles facts. Both authors are longtime TV producers: Louwerse is currently Coordinating Producer at NFL Network after having spent years at ESPN, Entertainment Tonight, The Insider, Access Hollywood and Inside Edition. Weitzel spent decades as a DGA director for Entertainment Tonight and The Insider and contributed to CBS This Morning, and he is currently a sought after voice over artist.

Top 3 Beatles In Los Angeles Trivia Facts

1. When McCartney is in L.A. he stays in his home off of Coldwater Canyon. He purchased it from Courtney Love and it was the one time residence of Ellen DeGeneres. George Harrison passed from the material world there in 2001.

2. Most of McCartney’s bandmates for the tour, who he has worked with for 20 plus years (10 more years than The Beatles), live in L.A. Rusty Anderson, his guitarist, was born in La Habra. His drummer “Abe” Laboriel Jr. was born in L.A. and lives in the Hollywood Hills. Brian Ray, his bassist, was also born in Southern California.

3. McCartney enjoys driving around town in his signature Blue Corvette.

McCartney’s Top 5 Greatest Performances in L.A.

As told in The Beatles in Los Angeles, there are many iconic Beatles performances throughout Los Angeles, and for authors Louwerse and Weitzel, these five stand out.

1. The Beatles hit Los Angeles for the first time in 1964 at the Hollywood Bowl. Did you know famed game show and KTLA Rose Parade host Bob Eubanks mortgaged his Woodland Hills home to make it happen? Eubanks recounts the story to the authors in the book.

2. McCartney returns to L.A. to perform for the first time after The Beatles broke up in 1976, with his band Wings at The Forum. The show was the hottest ticket in town, with attendees including Jack Nicholson, Elton John and Cher. The Beatles in Los Angeles tells the story about the lavish party the night after in a Beverly Hills mansion where McCartney hangs with the concert attendees and Michael Jackson.

3. McCartney performed a secret concert in 2007 at Amoeba Records in Hollywood, where less than 1000 lucky fans packed the store to see him. Ringo, Woody Harrelson and Jennifer Love Hewitt were among those filling the room. Chapter 19 goes behind the scenes sharing how McCartney ended up on stage at a record store.

4. McCartney performs at Dodger Stadium in 2019, the last stop on his Freshen Up tour, which included an appearance from Ringo Starr where the two performed an intense version of Helter Skelter in the same city the Manson murders took place.

5. January 27, 2014: McCartney and Starr tape a television special for CBS titled The Night that Changed America: A Grammy Salute to The Beatles in the West Hall of the Los Angeles Convention Center. The special commemorated the 50th anniversary of The Beatles performance on The Ed Sullivan Show. The evening included performances from Stevie Wonder, Dave Grohl, The Eurythmics, and Alicia Keys, with the highlight being McCartney and Starr singing “With A Little Help From My Friends” as if no time had passed since the original Ed Sullivan performance in the 1960s.

How The Beatles in Los Angeles Book Came to Be

Why did you decide to write this book?

Louwerse: To bring together two massive icons, The Beatles and Los Angeles, and to get the stories of what happened to John, Paul, George and Ringo in this city by those who were THERE to witness it.

Weitzel: As a kid, The Beatles were my heroes. Jack Paar actually had film of the lads performing before their appearance on the Ed Sullivan show. I saw that and it literally changed what I thought a rock band could be. As I grew up, my respect for them as innovators grew. Living in L.A., we are surrounded by such powerful reminders of the pull the group has on our imagination.

What was the most surprising thing you learned about The Beatles while researching this book?

Weitzel: That Pat Boone thought they were cool and he wanted to record “Love Me Do” and his record company nixed it!

Louwerse: Many things: We learned about the time John, who rarely drove, got behind the wheel, had a wild ride down PCH and almost crashed. We learned about Paul’s incredible 1970s parties in lavish Beverly Hills Mansions where he first met Michael Jackson, and we discovered the ONLY photos ever of Elvis and The Beatles together in Bel Air, for 30 years nobody knew they existed.

What is your favorite Beatles memory?

Louwerse: Seeing George Harrison perform at Madison Square Garden during a Bob Dylan Tribute Concert.

Weitzel: Listening on a tiny AM radio the summer “Sgt. Pepper’s” was released. I was on a family vacation in New Jersey and a NYC radio station was playing it from start to finish. It, in the phrase of that day, “blew my mind.”

What is your favorite Paul McCartney concert memory?

Weitzel: His performance at the Super Bowl half time show in 2005. He ended the set with “Hey Jude.” I had never seen a crowd that large so united and so happy to be singing along.

Louwerse: Attending No. 3 on our list, the Amoeba Records secret show in 2007.

Have you had the chance to interview/produce an interview with Paul McCartney? Any memories of that, what was he like?

Weitzel: I have only had a few arrival line interviews with Paul. What impressed me in person and when I have watched interviews with him, is that he is never blasé about his success. He has worked hard and he deserves every bit of success. He enjoys it and I think he enjoys the enjoyment his music brings to people.

Louwerse: I saw Paul up close at the Golden Globe Awards one year, I had the chance to say hello but was so starstruck that I froze up, I really wish I had the moment back to thank him for making music that makes me happy every day.

What will readers get out of The Beatles in Los Angeles that they wouldn’t get out of any other book?

Louwerse: Those who are familiar with Los Angeles will be blown away by the places The Beatles spent time in this city. They will realize they pass places John, Paul, George, and Ringo lived and loved during their commute every day. They will also read how L.A. influenced some of the greatest music ever created.

Weitzel: They will get to see four wide eyed young men living in an Eden they’d only seen in film and television shows. They thought going to The Whisky A-Go-Go was a great idea. They loved hanging out by pools. Liverpool and London are cold, dank places by comparison. Readers will see pictures of that fabled meeting between Elvis and the lads; the stuff of legends.

The Beatles in Los Angeles book is available now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-14 03:47 by Hairball.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: May 14, 2022 04:44

Paul stays in the house where George died? That's wild.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 14, 2022 06:40

jahisnotdead

Turn it round.

George was dying and Paul helped ease his pain by letting him spend his final days in one of his (Paul's) houses.

A loving gesture to a dear friend.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: May 14, 2022 15:53

CaptainCorella
jahisnotdead

Turn it round.

George was dying and Paul helped ease his pain by letting him spend his final days in one of his (Paul's) houses.

A loving gesture to a dear friend.

Whew. That makes it a lot less creepy.

Posted by: jmd ()
Date: May 14, 2022 20:05

Saw Paul’s show last night at SoFi and enjoyed it. Don’t have much to add to the posted reviews as his shows are the same wherever…and lots of similarities to prior tours. The “I’ve Got a Feeling” video duet segment was well done. And he sang Birthday for me (as yesterday was my birthday) so there’s that.

Sure, if you’ve seen him before, there’s a lot of “been there done that”, but it was a fun show and good to see him again.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 15, 2022 06:03

Some friends of mine attended the show last night at SoFi as they'd never seen Paul before, and they all thought it was better than the recent Stones show they saw in L.A.

From Variety:

Paul McCartney’s ‘Got Back’ Tour Scores a Touchdown With Marathon SoFi Stadium Show: Concert Review

Coming up on the cusp of 80, does he "feel like letting go" of his high-energy touring regimen? Apparently not.

Macca in L.A.

Paul McCartney has something to prove. What that is is between him and his shrink, although maybe a desire to seem and feel undiminished is not as mysterious as all that. What we do know for certain is that, in the year of our lord 2022, McCartney is doing two-hour-and-40-minute sets that encompass 36 songs. If this seems at all slacker-ish, consider also that the singer is keeping with his touring custom of recent years and doing more informal, hour-long, 8-to-13-song “soundchecks” before the doors open for fans who buy VIP packages, something that puts him stage close to four hours each show day.

Unspoken at Friday night’s SoFi Stadium show in L.A., and un-alluded to in even the slightest way — even though Beatlemaniacs have it marked on their calendars for next month — is that he turns 80 next month, two days after the tour wraps up. It may be unfair to compare the ways in which different performers age, but it’s worth pointing out that McCartney is doing these fairly marathon shows at a point in his life that is past the point at which Frank Sinatra did his final concert, following a few years of publicly noted erraticism. And yet here we are at a point where, for him anyway, 80 seems to be the new July-or-August of his years. No one would begrudge McCartney, or very few would, if he cut a few corners: cutting the set length to a reasonable two hours here, lowering the keys a little there, or dropping some of the vocal ad libs to save his voice for Syracuse. But McCartney is not about to use impending octogenarianism as a rationale to finally half-ass it. In fact, he’s not even going to three-quarters-ass it.

Of course, SoFi Stadium was filled with repeat customers — veterans of “Wings Over America” at the Forum in ’76 if not the Beatles at the Bowl in ’64 — but you didn’t have to look too far to see the sight of a 20-ish kid attending with a 75-ish grandfather, or even groups of proactive Gen-Z-ers that didn’t need boomer chaperones to see the value in coming. Whatever else might motivate McCartney to prove it all night, he’s surely aware that the “Got Back” tour is the only live experience of his or the Beatles’ music that these younger attendees will have in their lifetimes, and they’re not going to be grading it on a curve. That’s up to the oldsters: Were there enough deep ’70s cuts in the setlist? Is his voice what it was on the 2003 tour? But it’s hard to imagine too many people who were experiencing this as their first or only McCartney show not walking away with some deep feels they may feel compelled to tell their own grandkids about.

The show here largely follows the template established by the 2019 tour, so anyone who caught the tour finale at Dodger Stadium in July of that year but missed SoFi doesn’t have to worry they missed out on too major a variation on the previous iteration. But McCartney didn’t really design the show with double-dippers in mind; L.A. is one of very few markets he hit in ’19 that he’s coming back to in ’22, whereas several other cities, he hasn’t played in decades (Baltimore) or at all (Spokane). Since three years ago, a number of songs have come out (gone this time are “A Hard Day’s Night,” the “Sgt. Pepper” reprise, “Eleanor Rigby,” “From Me to You,” “I’ve Just Seen a Face” and — bet you saw this one coming, or going — “Back in the U.S.S.R.”). Other have been reinserted from years and tours past (including “Getting Better,” “We Can Work It Out,” “New” and — hey, what’s this buried nugget? — “Get Back”).

Somewhat surprisingly, “Women and Wives” is the only song from his most recent album, “McCartney III,” to be plugged into the tour, and even that was absent from the setlist at SoFi, for some reason. But maybe the reasons for underplaying “III” generally are obvious; it was a pandemic album, scaled down and clearly not designed with stadiums in mind, unlike its predecessor, “Egypt Station.” McCartney half-joked that when he plays a Beatles song it’s like a galaxy of cell-phone lights, and when he does contemporary material he peers out into a black hole. But there were no bathroom stampedes during the 21st century picks, not even for “Fuh You,” the Ryan Tedder co-write that McCartney continues to seem to love beyond all reason, despite the better recent choices available to him. (Would he take a request for “Deep, Deep Feeling” instead? No, he probably wouldn’t.)

As for older songs that haven’t been tried on tour before, McCartney isn’t doing so much of that rediscovery this go-round, although fans are getting “You Never Give Me Your Money” (last played on tour in 2003) and “She Came In Through the Bathroom Window” (only ever toured in 2005) as a medley for the first time. Maybe the true newbie in the lineup is the idea of “I’ve Got a Feeling” as a Lennon-and-McCartney encore duet, with footage and isolated audio of his late partner snipped out of the “Get Back” film by Peter Jackson for the tour’s purposes.

The loose structure of the show will also raise some deja vu for those returning from 2019: a rocking opening stretch highly reliant on ’70s rockers like “Junior’s Farm” and “Letting Go” as Act 1; a partially acoustic, “Storytellers”-like magical history tour of the Beatles’ rise as the backbone of Act 2, going all the way back to the Quarrymen’s “In Spite of All the Danger” and leading up the Lennon tribute “Here Today” and the Harrison cover “Something”; and then, letting the third hour be birthday sons, na-na-na-na-na-na-na-ing and “Abbey Road” medley-izing.

That structure indisputably works, and so, as part of a winning formula, does a band that has now been together for many more years than the Beatles ever were, guitarist Rusty Anderson, guitarist-bassist Brian Ray, keyboard player Paul “Wix” Wickens and drummer Abe Laboriel Jr. The latter player also doubles as the tour’s sole dancer, mugging up a storm behind the kit during “Dance Tonight” before finally being forced to sit down and help kick out an acoustic jam midway through the tune. Anderson and Ray do an eternally expert job of recreating parts McCartney largely did on his own on his own on his DIY records, and get to step into the shoes of Lennon and Harrison in joining in for the triplicate guitar solos of “The End.” Horns have sometimes been replicated as keyboard parts on past tours, so the sight of a real three-man horn section on selections like “Letting Go” and “Got to Get You Into My Life” was a welcome one. The real star of the show, in some ways: the Hofner bass, which McCartney not only plays for a substantial part of the show, but which has been animated for the pre-show countdown, descending on the big screen like some version of the Times Square New Year’s Eve ball, and landing like a giant version of the “2001” monolith before attendees see it in the wooden flesh.

And what of McCartney as a singer… at age 79-and-11/12ths? He has been, by some almost objective measures, the best all-around singer as well as most accomplished mainstream songwriter of the rock ‘n’ roll era — and how convenient it was during the 20th century to have both of those in one package. The catalog is set in stone, but his ability to ape Little Richard’s scream, or to navigate the eternally tricky twists of “Maybe I’m Amazed,” eternally is not something we can assume or expect. It’s just assumed that rockers can sing their classics forever, until we’re jolted awake to the fact that they cannot, as with the recent instance of videos being circulated of a certain ’80s icon who is not coming within a prayer of hitting the notes on his band’s most enduring hit anymore. Any fears that this would happen with McCartney are fortunately unfounded, so far. Which is not to say that attentive fans will not take note of and discuss inevitable balladic passages in which you will hear an interesting combination of vigor and time-wisened fragility in his voice. But make no mistake — he’s going for the notes he’s always gone for, and hitting them, without the usual accommodations powerhouse singers have to make as they reach an advanced age. He still howls. And if you listen carefully, it’s maybe a softer, less throat-ravaging version of the howl than he used to do. That’s more of a technical adjustment than anything that is going to stand in the way of anyone enjoying a balls-out resurrection of “Helter Skelter,” anyway

Yes, “Helter Skelter” is still in the set, and still as gratifying as it ever was, with McCartney maintaining his king-of-the-heap status on the precipice of an age where we used to think Chuck Berry going through the motions with a pickup band in front of a few hundred people was as good as grandfather-statesman rocking got. As much as McCartney made history with the Beatles 60 years ago, it feels like he’s making history again in pushing the envelope of how long you can keep doing this kind of a massive, demanding show (as opposed to a Dylan or a Willie, who also are out there and doing it, but with lower expectations of heightened stadium energy). Being on stage in front of 60,000 people being able to confidently coo and bellow songs that you wrote 60 years prior is not something that God wrote into the human contract, but McCartney (like the Stones and Who and not too many others) is are out to prove nature and the Almighty wrong. McCartney’s only nod to the passage of time was a final promise that “we’ll see you next time.” Do we get this privilege, at this high a performing level, again in two or three years? In six? Who knows, but for now, there’s reason to be grateful that he just can’t stop going back to the top of the slide.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 15, 2022 06:12

Who is "until we’re jolted awake to the fact that they cannot, as with the recent instance of videos being circulated of a certain ’80s icon who is not coming within a prayer of hitting the notes on his band’s most enduring hit anymore." about? Apparently I missed that one.

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: May 15, 2022 06:15

GasLightStreet
Who is "until we’re jolted awake to the fact that they cannot, as with the recent instance of videos being circulated of a certain ’80s icon who is not coming within a prayer of hitting the notes on his band’s most enduring hit anymore." about? Apparently I missed that one.

Bon Jovi

Date: May 15, 2022 06:30

GasLightStreet

Though the phrasing seems to hint Jon Bon Jovi, the videos that I've seen circulated recently are of Vince Neil.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 15, 2022 06:32

jahisnotdead
GasLightStreet

Though the phrasing seems to hint Jon Bon Jovi, the videos that I've seen circulated recently are of Vince Neil.

Vince Neil!?

Vince isn't quite an 80's icon, is he?

Date: May 15, 2022 06:47

GasLightStreet
Vince Neil!?

I remember Motley Crue being as big as any band of the 80's. *shrug* Either way, the reference does seem to be Jon Bon Jovi, so I stand corrected.

But Neil is pretty epically terrible now; look up some of the recent versions of Kickstart My Heart for some serious vocal sadness.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 15, 2022 08:57

jmd

Sure, if you’ve seen him before, there’s a lot of “been there done that”.

As compared to the always freshly updated Stones setlist?winking smiley

Rod

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: May 15, 2022 10:09

bitusa2012
jmd

McCartney’s setlists make the Stones’ look incredibly varied. Which isn’t necessarily a criticism of either group, they all do their own thing. McCartney’s Fall 2005 tour - 38 dates across the US - featured not one single change across the entire trek. It’s just not what he does.

Posted by: jmd ()
Date: May 15, 2022 10:12

bitusa2012
jmd

I think you omitted last part of the sentence you quoted. winking smiley

In fact, change “him” to “them” and that sentence would apply to every Stones show I’ve seen since, I’d guess, The Forum in 2006.

Just as Macca is “gonna do Macca” for his shows, suspect we’re past the days of “freshly updated Stones setlists” except for a song or 2 at the margins. Both are cool with me.

(Hope to see Stones again next month in Milan and London knowing full well 80-85% of the show is what was played last fall at SoFi and Vegas.)

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 15, 2022 13:57

jahisnotdead
GasLightStreet
Vince Neil!?

I remember Motley Crue being as big as any band of the 80's. *shrug* Either way, the reference does seem to be Jon Bon Jovi, so I stand corrected.

But Neil is pretty epically terrible now; look up some of the recent versions of Kickstart My Heart for some serious vocal sadness.

Vince was terrible on the "farewell" tour. The band was smokin' though. My appreciation of Mick Mars grew after seeing them in Vegas just before the end. I've read he worships at the altar of Jeff Beck & that was evident. A good thing!

OT - Paul McCartney sings live "together" with John Lennon (2022)
Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: May 15, 2022 19:49

that's touching,
from 3:27 on, i've got a feeling ...
[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT - Paul McCartney sings live "together" with John Lennon (2022)
Date: May 15, 2022 19:55

I thought it was cool and that it must be a huge treat for the audience. Who would have imagined going to a concert today and hearing Paul McCartney singing along with John Lennon?

OT: Paul McCartney stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 16, 2022 18:45

Abe Laboriel Jr. is this week's guest on "Here's The Thing with Alec Baldwin". A great listen.

[www.iheart.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 17, 2022 05:48

Bruce Springsteen joined Paul on stage at Metlife tonight: [twitter.com]

Date: June 17, 2022 05:55

I Wanna Be Your Man (with Bruce): [twitter.com]

Posted by: richie26188 ()
Date: June 17, 2022 11:31

Bon Jovi also joined him on staged and sung Happy Birthday to Paul

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 17, 2022 17:22

Paul’s iconic ‘McCartney’ trilogy available together for the first time as a limited-edition box set

Paul’s three iconic solo albums (McCartney, McCartney II, and McCartney III) available together for the first time as a limited-edition box set – August 5th, 2022

[www.paulmccartney.com]

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 17, 2022 17:52

bye bye johnny
Paul’s iconic ‘McCartney’ trilogy available together for the first time as a limited-edition box set

Paul’s three iconic solo albums (McCartney, McCartney II, and McCartney III) available together for the first time as a limited-edition box set – August 5th, 2022

[www.paulmccartney.com]

3 clear vinyl albums, some photos and a box for USD$199.99 ???? Who does McCartney think he is, The Stones??? That is ridiculous pricing.

Rod

Re: OT: Paul McCartney stuff
Date: June 18, 2022 03:21

bye bye johnny
Abe Laboriel Jr. is this week's guest on "Here's The Thing with Alec Baldwin". A great listen.

[www.iheart.com]

Thanks for sharing that. Abe seems like a very cool dude.

Date: June 18, 2022 09:12

Happy 80th birthday to Paul McCartney today. Along with the Rolling Stones and the Ramones (who got their name from him), McCartney's solo work has given me the most musical pleasure over my lifetime. I'm grateful for his music. It's enriched my time on this earth.

smileys with beer

Date: June 18, 2022 09:54

jahisnotdead
Happy 80th birthday to Paul McCartney today. Along with the Rolling Stones and the Ramones (who got their name from him), McCartney's solo work has given me the most musical pleasure over my lifetime. I'm grateful for his music. It's enriched my time on this earth.

smileys with beer

I second your words! smileys with beer

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 18, 2022 10:37

Happy 80th Pauldrinking smiley

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 18, 2022 10:42

Deepest respect and best wishes to Sir Paul!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 18, 2022 15:21

Best Wishes to Paul on his 80th Birthday.smileys with beer

He deserves a day off today from Touring, and I think I'm right in saying that his next gig is headlining Glastonbury next Saturday June 25th.

The Rolling Stones are obviously at Hyde Park at the same time.
I'm really hoping fans can get to the gigs and back home again without too much disruption from this damned rail strike.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667Next
Current Page: 63 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1778
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home