Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667Next
Current Page: 62 of 67
Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 28, 2022 14:37

frankotero
Would be funny to imagine Paul dressed in a royal frock sitting while smoking a pipe and complaining about the youth and their loud rebellious music. winking smiley

1 would wonder what was in the pipe! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 28, 2022 15:01

Mary Jane of course, haha.

Posted by: richie26188 ()
Date: April 29, 2022 13:38

Solid set list last night. His voice by all accounts much improved on recent years (guessing due to the enforced covid touring break)

Go and see legends like Paul whilst we still can at every opportunity. I know there’s a lot of debate on here now that Charlie’s no longer with us about the validity of another Stones tour but Paul still performs Beatles songs and it still brings so many people so much joy (So why can’t Mick, Keith & Ronnie!). Embrace it for what it is and be thankful some of those pioneers from the 60s are still with us and rocking on!!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 29, 2022 14:43

frankotero
Would be funny to imagine Paul dressed in a royal frock sitting while smoking a pipe and complaining about the youth and their loud rebellious music. winking smiley

"The Mull Of Kintyre" would be a nice title.

OT: Paul McCartney stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 29, 2022 18:20

Paul McCartney, John Lennon Reunite For Duet, With An Assist From Peter Jackson

By Mike Fleming
April 29, 2022

[deadline.com]

OT: Paul McCartney stuff
Date: April 29, 2022 18:24

Paul McCartney Duets With John Lennon, Honors George Harrison at Joyous Tour Kickoff

“We said we’d come back, and we got back,” McCartney told the crowd at his first show since the pandemic hit

By Richard B. Simon
April 29, 2022

© MPL Communications Ltd

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 29, 2022 20:26

Wow....that duet with John was seriously moving...no doubt it will be amongst the highlights of every show of this new tour...
Looking forward to more clips and reviews as the tour continues down the long and winding road.thumbs up

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: April 30, 2022 03:22

I watched a live feed on twitter. He sounds about what I expect from a 79.9 year old Paul. Definitely leans on his band for many of the higher notes, and his midrange gets pretty warble-y at times. He can just about make his way through 'Maybe I'm Amazed', but it was still pretty iffy, as was the opener 'Can't Buy Me Love'. His voice seemed to warm up a little as it went along.

I already decided last week not to hit Seattle. If you can afford the $475(usd) tickets, more power to ya, but I'm happy with the 8 shows I've seen since '89.

Date: April 30, 2022 03:32

After seeing him four times over the years (the last two at Desert Trip), I'd pay maybe $50 to see him again, and that would have to be a very good seat close to stage.
Yeah, definitely not gonna happen, and am content on following the vids and reviews, etc., and listening to the Beatles catalogue along with a very few from his solo career.
No denying though, he's an absolute living legend, and even though I won't be attending, glad to see him going back out on the road for what could be the last time...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 30, 2022 03:43

Its alright just say your not
allowed to go ... we wont laugh

ROCKMAN

Date: April 30, 2022 04:10

Did you hit your head again Rockman? HHHHAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Date: April 30, 2022 06:26

From Consequence of Sound:

Paul McCartney Kicks Off 2022 North American Tour in Spokane
McCartney's first US outing in three years featured a virtual duet with John Lennon

Spokane

'The vision of a grinning Lennon filled the screens above McCartney as the duo traded verses
in what was easily one of the most stirring performances of the night'

Early into the opening night of the “Got Back Tour” on Thursday (April 28th), Paul McCartney pointed out an attendee’s sign held aloft. It displayed a message that this night in Spokane, Washington — McCartney’s first live show since July 2019 — marked the fan’s 124th McCartney concert. “It’s beautiful, we love it,” the Beatle said as cameras flashed the sign to the 12,000-plus folks filling Spokane Arena. “But it’s slightly obsessive.” McCartney’s deadpan humor didn’t disappear during his time off the road, nor did his ability to craft a stunning, nearly three-hour set that somehow manages to thrill the Beatlemaniacs, give proper due to his too-often-neglected Wings work, and slip in a few surprises and new songs as well. Even so, with a catalog as stacked as McCartney’s, it’s impossible to include every “Jet,” “Back in the U.S.S.R.” and “A Hard Day’s Night” when you want to showcase tunes from your most recent albums. “Women and Wives” from 2020’s McCartney III made its live debut, and he played two songs from 2018’s Egypt Station (“Fuh You” and “Come On To Me”). The kickoff of the “Got Back Tour” was an unusually intimate affair for a McCartney roadtrip. Spokane Arena, tucked in a small city in Eastern Washington, is by far the smallest venue he’ll play on his “Got Back Tour,” a jaunt that includes shows at SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles, Fenway Park in Boston and Met Life Stadium in New Jersey. The chance to see McCartney this up close and personal made for a crowd that seemed — judging by McCartney’s own informal poll from the stage — split nearly equally between locals and people who’d traveled to catch McCartney’s first concert of 2022. McCartney hit the stage in his typical casual jeans-and-blazer combo, joined by his long-time band to tear into “Can’t Buy Me Love,” followed quickly by Wings’ “Junior’s Farm” and “Letting Go.”

While McCartney opened the show playing his iconic Hofner bass at center stage, throughout the show he would bounce between myriad instruments — pianos, naturally, for songs like “Hey Jude,” “My Valentine” and “Maybe I’m Amazed,” but also electric guitar and mandolin. At one point, he brought out a ukulele he explained was a gift from George Harrison before paying tribute to his former bandmate with a cover of Harrison’s “Something” that evolved from simple acoustic strumming into a powerful, fully electrified wonder. Someone like McCartney doesn’t need any additional hype to pack his concerts, given the generations of fans on hand thrilled to be experiencing just a taste of Beatlemania in person. But the pandemic pause that pushed McCartney off the road in 2019 and forced the cancellation of a planned lengthy 2020 tour added to the excitement of his return to the live stage Thursday. And Peter Jackson’s 2021 The Beatles: Get Back documentary remarkably managed to raise McCartney’s profile to new heights as both casual fans and Beatles fanatics got a new glimpse into just what a driving, creative force he was in the context of the Fab Four. Among four unquestionable geniuses, the youthful McCartney (just 26 during the recording of Let It Be documented in Jackson’s film) clearly was the leader of the pack. McCartney made mention of Jackson’s film more than once Thursday night, incorporating several clips into his splashy video display that engulfed the rear of the stage. The “Got Back” tour moniker is an obvious nod to the film, but its presence was felt most dramatically when McCartney returned to stage for his encore (carrying a Ukrainian flag in a nod to the world outside the arena) and said, “You want some more? We have something special for you.” With that, McCartney duetted with John Lennon on “I’ve Got A Feeling,” using audio culled from the famous rooftop concert, the Beatles’ last public performance together. The vision of a grinning Lennon filled the screens above McCartney as the duo traded verses in what was easily one of the most stirring performances of the night. The youthful McCartney on display via video was a stark contrast to the real-life McCartney on stage, at least physically. Still remarkably energetic and spry as he readies to turn 80 in June, McCartney’s age is showing in his face, a somewhat jarring juxtaposition if the last time you saw him was in the Get Back doc. His voice, though, remains in fine form, holding up remarkably well over a three-hour set even if his distinct screams aren’t quite as vivid as they used to be.

While much of the setlist echoed those songs played on his “Freshen Up Tour” in 2019, there were some noteworthy additions. “Getting Better” found its way into a show for the first time since 2003, as did “You Never Give Me Your Money” as part of an Abbey Road medley, which also included “She Came In Through The Bathroom Window” making its first appearance in a McCartney set since 2008. McCartney’s band is incredible, as you’d expect, and has been with him since 2002. Abe Laboriel, Jr., is a powerhouse drummer, Rusty Anderson rips off concise, searing solos, Brian Ray deftly shifts between guitar and bass depending on what McCartney’s up to, and keyboardist/multi-instrumentalist Wix Wickens fleshes out everything from the simplest early tunes (“Birthday,” “Love Me Do”) to more ornate fare (“Live and Let Die,” the show-closing “The End”) with style. McCartney is once again packing the three-piece Hot City Horns on the “Got Back Tour,” and their inclusion on several songs, particularly Wings’ “1985,” and the Beatles’ “Lady Madonna,” gave those songs added life. McCartney’s spirits were high, but no match for an audience who relished his requests to “give us a Beatles scream” or who laughed and cheered when asked, “Let’s hear it for grandparents!” He remarked on how thankful he was to be able to play “back together, in the same room.” But the most poignant moment of the night came as McCartney introduced “Here Today,” a song he wrote for Lennon shortly after his friend’s murder — a song he said expressed the love he had for Lennon, but didn’t express before his was lost. “If there’s someone you want to say it to, get it said!” McCartney declared. Words to live by, no matter your age.

Paul McCartney next plays Seattle, WA at Climate Pledge Arena on Monday, May 2nd. Tickets for that gig, and for the rest of the tour, are available via Ticketmaster.

Setlist:
Can’t Buy Me Love (The Beatles)
Junior’s Farm (Wings)
Letting Go (Wings)
Got To Get You Into My Life (The Beatles)
Come On To Me
Let Me Roll It (Wings)
Getting Better (The Beatles) (First time since 2003)
Women & Wives (Live debut)
My Valentine
1985 (Wings)
Maybe I’m Amazed
I’ve Just Seen A Face (The Beatles)
In Spite Of All The Danger (The Quarrymen)
Love Me Do (The Beatles)
Dance Tonight
Blackbird (The Beatles)
Here Today
Queenie Eye
Lady Madonna (The Beatles)
Fuh You
Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite (The Beatles)
Something (The Beatles)
Ob La Di Ob La Da (The Beatles)
You Never Give Me Your Money (The Beatles) (First time since 2003)
She Came in Through the Bathroom Window (The Beatles) (First time since 2008)
Get Back (The Beatles)
Band On The Run (Wings)
Let It Be (The Beatles)
Live And Let Die (Wings)
Hey Jude (The Beatles)

Encore:
I’ve Got A Feeling (The Beatles)
Birthday (The Beatles)
Helter Skelter (The Beatles)
Golden Slumbers (The Beatles)
Carry That Weight (The Beatles)
The End (The Beatles)

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: April 30, 2022 08:45

The guy is a machine. Five recent songs, and some impressive deep tracks too. "Letting Go?" McCartney has forgotten more great songs than most people even know. Who would have imagined hearing "Mr. Kite" live in concert ever? That's one heck of a setlist. And singing "Birthday" and "Helter Skelter" back to back seems like a feat of endurance.

Date: April 30, 2022 09:36

Hairball
From Consequence of Sound:

Credit to the reviewer - Dan Nailen

Date: April 30, 2022 09:55

jahisnotdead
The guy is a machine. Five recent songs, and some impressive deep tracks too. "Letting Go?" McCartney has forgotten more great songs than most people even know. Who would have imagined hearing "Mr. Kite" live in concert ever? That's one heck of a setlist. And singing "Birthday" and "Helter Skelter" back to back seems like a feat of endurance.

And there was also a 15 song soundcheck!

Soundcheck
1. Welcome Jam
2. I Wanna Be Your Man
3. Drive My Car
4. One After 909
5. Let 'Em In
6. C Moon
7. Women And Wives
8. San Francisco Bay Blues
9. Every Night
10. Leaning On A Lamppost
11. Midnight Special
12. New
13. Queenie Eye
15. Lady Madonna

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 30, 2022 10:48

Hairball
jahisnotdead

Soundcheck
1. Welcome Jam
2. I Wanna Be Your Man
3. Drive My Car
4. One After 909
5. Let 'Em In
6. C Moon
7. Women And Wives
9. Every Night
11. Midnight Special
12. New
13. Queenie Eye
15. Lady Madonna

only for the rich! (it's rather a pre-show than a soundcheck. Soundcheck tickets are very expansive)

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: April 30, 2022 10:57

slewan
Hairball
jahisnotdead

Soundcheck
1. Welcome Jam
2. I Wanna Be Your Man
3. Drive My Car
4. One After 909
5. Let 'Em In
6. C Moon
7. Women And Wives
9. Every Night
11. Midnight Special
12. New
13. Queenie Eye
15. Lady Madonna

only for the rich! (it's rather a pre-show than a soundcheck. Soundcheck tickets are very expansive)

Wow. I seriously can't believe that. My mind is blown. How does he have the stamina? A mini concert before the concert, filled with even deeper cuts. 51 songs performed in one night. That is just insane.

Date: April 30, 2022 11:08

jahisnotdead
slewan
Hairball
jahisnotdead

Soundcheck
1. Welcome Jam
2. I Wanna Be Your Man
3. Drive My Car
4. One After 909
5. Let 'Em In
6. C Moon
7. Women And Wives
9. Every Night
11. Midnight Special
12. New
13. Queenie Eye
15. Lady Madonna

Wow. I seriously can't believe that. My mind is blown. How does he have the stamina? A mini concert before the concert, filled with even deeper cuts. 51 songs performed in one night. That is just insane.

well, always keep in mind that a lot of the earlier Beatles songs are just 2-3 minutes long.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 30, 2022 12:19

slewan
Hairball
jahisnotdead

Soundcheck
1. Welcome Jam
2. I Wanna Be Your Man
3. Drive My Car
4. One After 909
5. Let 'Em In
6. C Moon
7. Women And Wives
9. Every Night
11. Midnight Special
12. New
13. Queenie Eye
15. Lady Madonna

Wow! Macca's people are very innovative in collecting money. The Stones still have a lot to learn.

- Doxa

Date: April 30, 2022 13:15

Doxa
slewan
Hairball
jahisnotdead

Soundcheck
1. Welcome Jam
2. I Wanna Be Your Man
3. Drive My Car
4. One After 909
5. Let 'Em In
6. C Moon
7. Women And Wives
9. Every Night
11. Midnight Special
12. New
13. Queenie Eye
15. Lady Madonna

Wow! Macca's people are very innovative in collecting money. The Stones still have a lot to learn.

- Doxa

he's been doing this for quite a while (beside that – his advantage is that he can replace any member of his band if he wants/needs to…)

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 30, 2022 13:34

Okay, slewan. The Stones might only top that by selling tickets to their tour rehearsals. I guess some hardcore fans might willingly to pay even more of that than the actual shows.

That said, Macca's actual show setlists look pretty impressive (plays at least twice as many songs as Dylan, and I guess for the Stones stamp collectors that's something just to dream about). No idea how him or the band sounds like, but I guess for the Beatles nostalgists that's closest of the real thing one might get. Especially as he seems to duet with Lennon nowadays. Had The Stones quitted during the 80's, that's probably be something a recent Mick Jagger show would look like.

And extra kudos for him for that Ukraina flag.smileys with beer

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-30 13:41 by Doxa.

Date: April 30, 2022 14:44

well, if these Stones didn't extent most of their hits up to 8 minutes, they could easily do 25 songs per show… (there's reason to extent 'Satisfaction' to 8 minutes, while songs like 'Key West' or 'Desolation Row' can't be done in 3-4 minutes)

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 30, 2022 16:52

slewan
Doxa
slewan
Hairball

he's been doing this for quite a while (beside that – his advantage is that he can replace any member of his band if he wants/needs to…)

Except he hasn’t since 2001 (unlike the Stones, yes in two instances they had no choice) apart from the guy who turned down his offer to join him on the 2002 tour, his name is Gabe Dixon, so he had to call back Wix Wickens!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: April 30, 2022 17:08

gotdablouse
slewan
Doxa
slewan
Hairball

Except he hasn’t since 2001 (unlike the Stones, yes in two instances they had no choice) apart from the guy who turned down his offer to join him on the 2002 tour, his name is Gabe Dixon, so he had to call back Wix Wickens!

well, Macca's band members are many years younger he is. Jagger on the other hand can't get another band and Keith won't be able to do a 2+ hours show plus a public soundcheck

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 30, 2022 17:34

Nice set list!
Who does that many encores?

Thanks, Hairball, too, for the 2021 video from the induction with the Foo Fighters, including Taylor Hawkins on drums.

(I've seen people here refer to Sir Mick--not often, granted.)

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 30, 2022 18:35

Hairball
well, Macca's band members are many years younger he is. Jagger on the other hand can't get another band and Keith won't be able to do a 2+ hours show plus a public soundcheck

Not that “many years younger” than McCartney. It’s an old media myth:

Rusty Anderson: 63
Brian Ray: 67
Paul Wickens:66
Abe Laboriel Jr.: 51

Abe Laboriel Jr. is the only ‘youngster’ in the group.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-30 18:37 by Blueranger.

Date: April 30, 2022 18:57

Blueranger
Hairball

10-15 years is a lot at that age…

Date: April 30, 2022 21:52

Blueranger
Hairball

To be clear, I didn't say that - you've either misquoted me or something must have run amok with the quoting system.

That said, considering Macca is about to turn 80 years old next month, the rest of his band are like spring chickens!

slewan
Hairball
jahisnotdead

Soundcheck
1. Welcome Jam
2. I Wanna Be Your Man
3. Drive My Car
4. One After 909
5. Let 'Em In
6. C Moon
7. Women And Wives
9. Every Night
11. Midnight Special
12. New
13. Queenie Eye
15. Lady Madonna

Yes a pre-show rather than a soundcheck which actually makes it even more impressive!
A 15 song pre-show setlist before doing a 35+ song setlist for the official show....that's 50 songs a night - or apprx. three full current Stones shows.
Justify it all you want with "Stones songs are longer", but still very impressive! Two shows equaling 50 songs a night! And he gets paid for it all!
And quite the eclectic setlist (soundcheck, and official show combined)- Beatles tunes, cover tunes, solo tunes, some new, some relatively new, some medium new, some old, some medium old, and some very old.
Meanwhile the Stones will be rehearsing Start Me Up and the rest of the warhorses...nothing new...an 18 or 19 song setlist of pure nostalgia...great nostalgia, but it is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-30 22:04 by Hairball.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 30, 2022 22:02

Was the sound check 14 or 15 songs? I only see 14. It looks like it is mis-numbered.

Date: April 30, 2022 22:08

Looks like it was a 14 song soundcheck + 36 song concert...50 songs!

From another site:

Paul McCartney VIP Soundcheck Setlist

Macca Soundcheck

Instrumental Jam
I Wanna Be Your Man (from With The Beatles, 1963)
Drive My Car (from Rubber Soul, 1965)
One After 909 (from Let It Be, 1970)
Let ‘Em In (from Wings At The Speed of Sound, 1976)
C Moon (b-side of Hi Hi Hi, 1972)
Women and Wives (McCartney III, 2021 Japanese Edition)
San Francisco Bay Blues (from Unplugged, 1991)
Every Night (from McCartney, 1970)
Leaning on a Lamp Post (George Formby cover)
Midnight Special (from CHOBA B CCCP, 1988)
New (from New, 2013)
Queenie Eye (from New, 2013)
Lady Madonna (single for The Beatles, 1968)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-30 22:11 by Hairball.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667Next
Current Page: 62 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home