Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5354555657585960616263...LastNext
Current Page: 58 of 67
Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 31, 2021 23:52

Royal MaccaStamps

northof49
Good, So now we can all lick his backside one last time and send him far, far away.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Lol...do they still make stamps that need to be licked?
Haven't seen any in the US in decades, but maybe they're still made elsewhere?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-01 00:13 by Hairball.

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: June 1, 2021 03:40

You're right, haven't licked a stamp in years.

OT: Wings Over New York, May 21 - 25, 1976
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 20, 2021 13:42

45 years ago this weekend. Damn that was an exciting time to be a sixteen-year-old Beatles fan. Macca's first Big Apple performances since the Beatles second visit to Shea Stadium in '66. Beatles reunion rumors at a fever pitch, and Lennon potentially just a taxi cab ride away. This clip from a NYC TV News report really captures the moment.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Wings Over New York, May 21 - 25, 1976
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 20, 2021 15:51

This is great tatters...thx.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: May 20, 2021 15:59

I was there Tatters and also at both Beatles' concerts at Shea Stadium. This was just before I truly discovered the Stones.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 20, 2021 16:11

Also an exciting time to be a sixteen-year-old Stones fan, my first Stones show at Earl's court - London - Friday 21.5.1976 ............. cool smiley

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 20, 2021 17:12

Thats so exciting. I was far from alive at this time, but I can really picture the energy in the city that weekend. Its funny, it seems so obvious now that the Beatles WOULDN'T be there, but back then you're obviously not looking at it with the benefit of history. Seems obvious they won't when you know the story and know that it NEVER happened and I can come to the conclusion today "yeah, why would it? Why would anyone expect it to?" But thinking back to then, in the moment, its not inconceivable (it is given that McCartney really wanted to solidify and step away from that Beatles legacy it seemed like Wings, making it a big deal that it was WINGS and not just Paul McCartney like it became in years later, which oddly enough today seeing a show of his is synonymous with just seeing a Beatles show given what he plays). Its the same today though as us 10 years ago just hoping Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor would step on the stage with the Stones one more time. Just seeing that group together, since they're all alive and live in that area. The idea that John wouldn't stop by can't escape your mind when you know his location in the city. I totally get why the pandemonium would happen then even though it seems kinda absurd nowadays. The idea that one day they might get back on stage definitely would have remained a constant had John obviously not been shot, and I guess knowing that that happened in 1980 there was never a time in my life that it was possible for the Beatles to reunite.

Wasn't it such a different time when something as simple as this would make so many happy? And that Wings Over America album is so good. Best thing he did during his solo career IMO. What a great set of songs he had by 76 to pull from.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-20 17:15 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 20, 2021 17:36

Well said RollingFreak, interesting perspective to read from someone not alive at the time.

The "reunion" that never happened that is the most interesting to me in hindsight is the Saturday Night Live one. Was watching this live when the offer was made.
Paul has also stated that he asked John to come to the MSG shows, but he declined.

How John Lennon and Paul McCartney Almost Reunited on 'SNL'

It was meant as a joke, but it turned into, arguably, the greatest missed opportunity in rock history. On April 24, 1976, John Lennon and Paul McCartney nearly took Lorne Michaels up on his offer to have the Beatles perform on Saturday Night Live.

Michaels, the producer of the show that was in its first season, spoke directly into the camera about how the Beatles had affected his and his generation’s lives. “In my book, the Beatles are the best thing that ever happened to music. It goes even deeper than that — you're not just a musical group, you're a part of us. We grew up with you.”

He then made the offer. “Now, we've heard and read a lot about personality and legal conflicts that might prevent you guys from reuniting. That's something which is none of my business. That's a personal problem. You guys will have to handle that. But it's also been said that no one has yet to come up with enough money to satisfy you. Well, if it's money you want, there's no problem here. The National Broadcasting Company has authorized me to offer you this check to be on our show. A certified check for $3,000.”

The camera zoomed in on the piece of paper in Michaels’ hand. “All you have to do is sing three Beatles songs.” he continued. “‘She Loves You,’ yeah, yeah, yeah – that's $1,000 right there. You know the words. It'll be easy. Like I said, this is made out to ‘The Beatles.’ You divide it anyway you want. If you want to give Ringo [Starr] less, that's up to you. I'd rather not get involved.”

Unknown to Michaels and the rest of the world, the Beatles' two principal songwriters were about only one and a half miles away, watching the show along with 22 million other people. As Lennon said in 1980, "Paul ... was visiting us at our place in the Dakota. We were watching it and almost went down to the studio, just as a gag. We nearly got into a cab, but we were actually too tired. ... He and I were just sitting there watching the show, and we went, 'Ha ha, wouldn't it be funny if we went down? But we didn’t.

McCartney has confirmed that this took place. “John said, ‘We should go down, just you and me. There’s only two of us so we’ll take half the money.’ And for a second. … But It would have been work, and we were having a night off, so we elected not to go. It was a nice idea – we nearly did it.”

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: May 20, 2021 17:46

And to think those 15 year old kids are now 60 year old women.. wonderful footage. Many thanks for sharing.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 20, 2021 18:33

I stand corrected

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-20 18:35 by TheGreek.

Date: May 20, 2021 19:17

Its incredible of the few times they hung out post Beatles they happened to be together and watching that offer. Its to the point that it really seems like its not true, but they've both confirmed it, and I don't really know why John would have lied about it. Yeah, they really should have gone down.

Date: May 20, 2021 19:53

RollingFreak
Thats so exciting. I was far from alive at this time, but I can really picture the energy in the city that weekend. Its funny, it seems so obvious now that the Beatles WOULDN'T be there, but back then you're obviously not looking at it with the benefit of history. Seems obvious they won't when you know the story and know that it NEVER happened and I can come to the conclusion today "yeah, why would it? Why would anyone expect it to?" But thinking back to then, in the moment, its not inconceivable (it is given that McCartney really wanted to solidify and step away from that Beatles legacy it seemed like Wings, making it a big deal that it was WINGS and not just Paul McCartney like it became in years later, which oddly enough today seeing a show of his is synonymous with just seeing a Beatles show given what he plays). Its the same today though as us 10 years ago just hoping Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor would step on the stage with the Stones one more time. Just seeing that group together, since they're all alive and live in that area. The idea that John wouldn't stop by can't escape your mind when you know his location in the city. I totally get why the pandemonium would happen then even though it seems kinda absurd nowadays. The idea that one day they might get back on stage definitely would have remained a constant had John obviously not been shot, and I guess knowing that that happened in 1980 there was never a time in my life that it was possible for the Beatles to reunite.

Wasn't it such a different time when something as simple as this would make so many happy? And that Wings Over America album is so good. Best thing he did during his solo career IMO. What a great set of songs he had by 76 to pull from.

Lennon's surprise appearance 18 months earlier at Elton John's MSG show is what gave us hope that he might just show up at Paul's concert as well. Also, I believe there were reports that John had been in the audience when George Harrison played Long Island's Nassau Coliseum on December 15, 1974, just a couple weeks after the Elton John gig. It's also interesting to note that as originally planned, the Wings tour had been scheduled to have the final show take place at the Garden on May 25, 1976. Then, if memory serves, the drummer Joe English broke his finger, and the start of the tour had to be postponed from early April to early May. Everything got re-arranged, but the New York dates stayed the same, except now they were in the middle of the tour, with the final shows now taking place in Los Angeles in June. In retrospect, that ruled out New York for any possible reunion, since it would have made no sense at all to do it in the middle of the tour. It would have made the entire second half of the tour seem anti-climatic. As for the final show in L.A., I think Ringo actually did show up for that, not to perform in any way, but simply to walk onstage to give Paul a hug and wave to the crowd. Doesn't seem like such a big deal now, but to see two ex-Beatles on the same stage at a time when all four of them were alive was an extremely rare thing. The only other instance I can think of that happening is The Concert for Bangladesh. As to why they didn't keep New York as the final stop on the tour, my guess is that the argument between Lennon and McCartney on April 25, 1976, the day after they watched SNL together, and the final time they saw one another, convinced Paul that the cantankerous Lennon wasn't going to show up anyway, so there was no longer any reason to leave the door open to a reunion by having the final show in New York.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-20 19:58 by tatters.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 20, 2021 19:58

MisterDDDD

"You divide it anyway you want. If you want to give Ringo [Starr] less, that's up to you."

Oh. I see. That Ringo.

I'm glad they specified which one.

Date: May 20, 2021 20:09

MisterDDDD

It was meant as a joke, but it turned into, arguably, the greatest missed opportunity in rock history. On April 24, 1976, John Lennon and Paul McCartney nearly took Lorne Michaels up on his offer to have the Beatles perform on Saturday Night Live.

Lorne knew what he was doing. He knew that offering them a ridiculously small amount of money was exactly the kind of thing that would appeal to their somewhat off-kilter sense of humor, and that they just might take him up on it, if not on the night of the broadcast (I doubt very much he could have known they were watching), then maybe at some point in the future. After all, Michaels had already reunited Simon & Garfunkel on only the second-ever episode of SNL, so where do you go from there? Who's bigger than Simon & Garfunkel?

By the way, although it's now largely forgotten, Michaels did make his offer to the Beatles a second time, just a few weeks later, in fact. On Saturday, May 22, 1976, when he knew Wings would be in New York, with a night off between appearances at Nassau Coliseum and Madison Square Garden.

Yeah. He knew what he was doing.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 20, 2021 20:17

tatters
MisterDDDD

Lorne knew what he was doing. He knew that offering them a ridiculously small amount of money was exactly the kind of thing that would appeal to their somewhat off-kilter sense of humor, and that they just might take him up on it, if not on the night of the broadcast (I doubt very much he could have known they were watching), then maybe at some point in the future. After all, Michaels had already reunited Simon & Garfunkel on only the second-ever episode of SNL, so where do you go from there? Who's bigger than Simon & Garfunkel?

By the way, although it's now largely forgotten, Michaels did make his offer to the Beatles a second time, just a few weeks later, in fact. On Saturday, May 22, 1976, when he knew Wings would be in New York, with a night off between appearances at Nassau Coliseum and Madison Square Garden.

He should have made the offer in early 1987 to Mick and Keith. We may never have had to endure "Let's Work".

Date: May 20, 2021 20:40

tatters
MisterDDDD

Indeed. It was a brilliant move that got a lot of mileage.
Didn't post the entire article above, but yes there was more..

"The joke didn’t end there. A month later, on May 22, Michaels returned with a new offer. “We've heard from the Monkees, Freddy and the Dreamers, Herman's Hermits, Peter and Gordon, the Cowsills and Lulu," he said. "But still no word from the Beatles. I'm not discouraged and neither is NBC. Because of the recent acclaim that Saturday Night has received, I was able to convince NBC to sweeten the pot. John, Paul, George [Harrison] and Ringo -- we are now prepared to up the original offer to $3,200."

Michaels went even further to entice them, offering free hotel accommodations. Announcer Don Pardo then described the amenities at the Cross Town Motor Inn, including, “round-the-clock elevator service,” water glasses that have been “sanitized for their convenience,” “48-hour dry cleaning” and free room-to-room calls.

While Lennon and McCartney couldn’t be bothered to take Michaels up on his offer, Harrison, tried to collect on the Nov. 20, 1976, episode on which he appeared as a musical guest (this is the same episode in which guest host Paul Simon sang “Still Crazy After All These Years” while dressed in a turkey suit).

In the cold opening to the show, Michaels and Harrison are seen haggling over the price. Saying he felt “terrible” about the misunderstanding, Michaels explains, “I thought that you would understand, you know, that it was $3,000 for four people, that it would just be $750 for each of you. I mean, as far as I'm concerned, I mean, you could have the full $3,000. But the network ... “ Harrison responded by calling NBC “chintzy,” but, for an extra $250, was willing to say the show’s traditional opening, “Live from New York, it’s Saturday Night!”

Because Lennon and McCartney were too tired to go 22 blocks and sing a few songs, the only music the pair recorded together after the Beatles broke up was a cocaine-fueled jam session in 1974, when Lennon was producing Harry Nilsson's Pussy Cats album."

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

*Also, glad the writer clarified (Harrison) which George, after setting us straight on which Ringo spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Guess he thinks we all only know two of the fab fours full names winking smiley

Date: May 20, 2021 20:56

RollingFreak
Its incredible of the few times they hung out post Beatles they happened to be together and watching that offer. Its to the point that it really seems like its not true, but they've both confirmed it, and I don't really know why John would have lied about it. Yeah, they really should have gone down.

Right???
And just up the street from famed NBC studio 8h.
Could have been there in 5 minutes.

Doesn't take much reading between the lines to guess that they were likely too stoned at the time to pull it off. Of the 22 million of us watching, the vast majority of us were smoking smiley

John- "too tired"
Paul- "we were having a night off"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-20 21:03 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 20, 2021 21:49

I remember that time. It was also the Bicentennial Year. It seemed like forever since the Beatles split. It was almost a shock to have Paul actually go on tour. I would have preferred John at the time, but this was pretty cool. Now it's been 51 years since they split. I still haven't seen a former Beatle in concert. If Paul comes around after Covid I'll run to get tickets. It's not the Beatles, but it's the closest I'll ever get.

Speaking of John. What a shame he never did a big tour. I'm sure he could have got the cream of the crop to back him up. Bobby Keys would have died to do his solo from Whatever Gets You Through the Night, live.

Date: May 21, 2021 00:22

tatters
RollingFreak

Lennon's surprise appearance 18 months earlier at Elton John's MSG show is what gave us hope that he might just show up at Paul's concert as well. Also, I believe there were reports that John had been in the audience when George Harrison played Long Island's Nassau Coliseum on December 15, 1974, just a couple weeks after the Elton John gig. It's also interesting to note that as originally planned, the Wings tour had been scheduled to have the final show take place at the Garden on May 25, 1976. Then, if memory serves, the drummer Joe English broke his finger, and the start of the tour had to be postponed from early April to early May. Everything got re-arranged, but the New York dates stayed the same, except now they were in the middle of the tour, with the final shows now taking place in Los Angeles in June. In retrospect, that ruled out New York for any possible reunion, since it would have made no sense at all to do it in the middle of the tour. It would have made the entire second half of the tour seem anti-climatic. As for the final show in L.A., I think Ringo actually did show up for that, not to perform in any way, but simply to walk onstage to give Paul a hug and wave to the crowd. Doesn't seem like such a big deal now, but to see two ex-Beatles on the same stage at a time when all four of them were alive was an extremely rare thing. The only other instance I can think of that happening is The Concert for Bangladesh. As to why they didn't keep New York as the final stop on the tour, my guess is that the argument between Lennon and McCartney on April 25, 1976, the day after they watched SNL together, and the final time they saw one another, convinced Paul that the cantankerous Lennon wasn't going to show up anyway, so there was no longer any reason to leave the door open to a reunion by having the final show in New York.

That makes sense. God, talking about the Beatles never gets boring.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 21, 2021 00:43

tatters
45 years ago this weekend. Damn that was an exciting time to be a sixteen-year-old Beatles fan. Macca's first Big Apple performances since the Beatles second visit to Shea Stadium in '66. Beatles reunion rumors at a fever pitch, and Lennon potentially just a taxi cab ride away. This clip from a NYC TV News report really captures the moment.

[www.youtube.com]

Although a lot less important, when Paul played Vancouver for the first time in 2012, there was a lot of excitement in town. First time since the Beatles played here in 64. Tickets for BC Place went quickly and I thought this would be the only chance I would get to see him! Lots of rumours of Springsteen showing up since he was playing across the street at Rogers Arena the next night. Bruce didn't show up and Paul played here again in 2016 for 2 shows and in 2019. From having never seen him to seeing him 3 times in 8 years!
I can't believe that his 76 tour was the first US solo tour.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 21, 2021 10:14

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-25 22:53 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 21, 2021 10:37

..... maybe think of a girl and just jump around a little

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 21, 2021 10:49

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-25 22:53 by Erik_Snow.

Date: May 21, 2021 11:02

..... Hhhaaaa thought so .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 21, 2021 15:18

You'd think people would have had enough of silly love songs.... winking smiley

Missed this tour, but loved the WOA triple album.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: May 21, 2021 17:47

tatters

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks for the reminder tatters - Now I remember what I was doing 45 years ago tonight - Nassau Coliseum May 21, 1976. Wonder how I got there and got back home...

Date: May 22, 2021 03:06

2000 LYFH
tatters

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks for the reminder tatters - Now I remember what I was doing 45 years ago tonight - Nassau Coliseum May 21, 1976. Wonder how I got there and got back home...

There's little details about that night that I remember so vividly. I even remember the song I had stuck in my head on the way to the show. "I Wanna Go to the Sun" from the Frampton Comes Alive album, which by the way, is a much better live album than Wings Over America. Not just because it spawned several hit singles, and not just because Frampton is the only artist in rock whose live album contains the definitive versions of all his songs. It's because it actually captures the atmosphere of the concerts themselves. WOA doesn't do that. What it does accurately document is that Wings rocked a little harder in concert than we all expected them to, just based on having previously only heard the studio version of each song, but the supercharged electricity that filled the air, the roar of the crowd that was louder than anything I've ever heard at any other concert, or even in packed football stadiums, it's completely absent. I don't know. Maybe the crowd noises should have been further up in the mix, like they are on Ya-Ya's.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-22 03:08 by tatters.

Date: May 22, 2021 09:53

Macca should drive a Dodge Ram ..........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: June 6, 2021 17:42

tatters

Yes. Apparently Lorne had given pictures of John and Paul to NBC security in case they did show up.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: June 18, 2021 04:00

Happy birthday to Paul!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5354555657585960616263...LastNext
Current Page: 58 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home