Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5253545556575859606162...LastNext
Current Page: 57 of 67
Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 17, 2021 03:32

Another 4 of 5 star review for McCartney III Imagined....this time from the Independent:

Album review: Paul McCartney – III Imagined

McCartney cements his legacy as a pop-rock godfather by inviting a younger generation of artists onboard.

Macca

Paul McCartney’s status as pop-rock godfather has been long established. But getting a younger generation involved in “reimagining” his material? That’s a clever way to cement a legacy, and it pays off on McCartney III Imagined.

McCartney III, of course, came out toward the end of 2020 and was a sequel of sorts to Macca’s beloved McCartney (1970) and McCartney II (1980), with the former Beatles bassist writing and recording everything on his own. Here, he flips the script by handing his solo musings over to hand-picked artists like St Vincent, Radiohead’s Ed O’Brien (aka EOB ), Beck, Phoebe Bridgers, Josh Homme, Damon Albarn, 3D from Massive Attack, Anderson .Paak, and more. The result is a sonically diverse adventure where the guests successfully articulate their vision while sticking to their idol’s blueprint.

Reworked by Beck, “Find My Way” packs new punch and would have fitted well on his 2005 record Guero. Meanwhile, its tinkling intro and vocoder effects sound like a party-ready cross-pollination from Talking Heads and ELO. Further down, Phoebe Bridgers morphs McCartney‘s trademark jaunt into a lush, ruminative ballad on “Slidin’”. Already something of a harder rock anthem, the track, under Ed O’Brien and Paul Epworth’s tutelage, sounds much more chaotic.

It’s always nice when artists sound genuinely excited to participate in a collective project, and that comes through in spades on the delightful, crisply produced, and well-arranged McCartney III Imagined. The source material was released mid-pandemic. This assembly of talent feels symbolic of future social gatherings to come.

Date: April 17, 2021 03:38

Irix
McCartney III Imagined - (Official Visualizer):

1. Find My Way (feat. Beck) - [www.YouTube.com]

2. The Kiss Of Venus (Dominic Fike) - [www.YouTube.com]

3. Pretty Boys (feat. Khruangbin) - [www.YouTube.com]

4. Women And Wives (St. Vincent Remix) - [www.YouTube.com]

5. Deep Down (Blood Orange Remix) - [www.YouTube.com]

6. Seize The Day (feat. Phoebe Bridgers) - [www.YouTube.com]

7. Slidin' (EOB Remix) - [www.YouTube.com]

8. Long Tailed Winter Bird (Damon Albarn Remix) - [www.YouTube.com]

9. Lavatory Lil (Josh Homme) - [www.YouTube.com]

10. When Winter Comes (Anderson .Paak Remix) - [www.YouTube.com]

11. Deep Deep Feeling (3D RDN Remix) - [www.YouTube.com]

Thanks Irix. thumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 17, 2021 04:55

Brutal, but honest.

Album Review: Paul McCartney – McCartney III

Well, at least I don’t think McCartney II is Paul McCartney’s worst solo album anymore.

Perhaps at the outset of this review I should make it very clear that my disdain for much of McCartney’s solo work – especially over the past twenty years – is not because I don’t think he’s talented, and certainly not because I hate the guy. I’m a huge fan and admirer. I don’t believe anyone who has walked the earth has ever been given as much pure musical talent as Paul McCartney, and I am being 100% sincere. Which is why I am so disappointed that he is used that unimaginable amount of talent to so little effect over the last 50 years of his solo career. And his latest album, McCartney III, makes the point about as well as any of his albums I can think of.

It is an album bogged down with endless repetition of musical phrases that weren’t even that interesting the first time you heard them (think “Momma Miss America” or “Valentine’s Day” from the original McCartney album). It has the occasional promising idea for a song that fails to engage because the spark of a brilliant idea for a song was never properly nurtured into a flame. It has the lamest melodies of any McCartney album ever, from a man who has written more amazing melodies than anyone. It plays to all of McCartney’s weaknesses without the benefit of any of his strengths. I’d call it disappointing if it wasn’t pretty much what I expected from McCartney at this point in his artistic career.

I don’t know that I’ve ever come to an album with lower expectations than I did for McCartney III. Which meant that at times I was pleasantly surprised by some nice musical moments, some interesting guitar playing, snatches of musical inspiration here and there. But on the whole it met my low expectations, and it reminded me very much of the tossed-off vibe of the original McCartney album. Except that one had a true powerhouse song in “Maybe I’m Amazed”. Otherwise it was mostly ramshackle musical sketches, underdeveloped ideas, and uninspired instrumentals that had initial spark but meandered along going nowhere for the most part, with the occasional pleasant trifle (“Junk”, “Every Night”). A decade later McCartney II was a synthpop disaster, wherein McCartney decided simply having a synthesizer on the album was enough to make it interesting. The songs were maybe a little better developed and more structured on McCartney II, but they weren’t good songs. I think McCartney III is a mix of the first and second McCartney albums, in that there are snatches of undeveloped musical ideas that are interesting in places like the first, and there aren’t really enough solid songs to make a great album like the second. There are certainly no “Maybe I’m Amazed” level bursts of epic songcraft to serve as justification for the album’s existence. That first McCartney album was not a great album by any stretch, but it did have one indisputably classic song, one that was among the greatest songs McCartney – or anyone else for that matter – has ever written. The same cannot be said of McCartney III, there is no track anyone is going to argue is a timeless classic anywhere in this set of songs. “The Kiss of Venus” has a lovely melody, but it’s not a classic song. “Seize the Day” is catchy, has a nice melody, and is probably the best of the bunch, but it’s certainly not on the level of “Maybe I’m Amazed”. Nothing else is strong enough or memorable enough to really be a contender for a classic song, and “Seize the Day” isn’t even close. Really, the album is just McCartney farting around in the studio, and not really something that’s worth serious consideration if you ask me.

I want to get one criticism of the album out of the way right at the beginning: Paul’s voice is a problem. He’s almost 80 years old, no one can fault him for getting older and his voice consequently getting weaker, but I think we need to acknowledge that it detracts from some of the songs to hear his voice sounding so weak and old. It’s not that I think it’s appropriate to be mean about it, but I also don’t think it’s appropriate to pretend it isn’t a problem. It needs to be acknowledged. McCartney’s voice isn’t what it used to be, and that’s not his fault, but we shouldn’t pretend that it isn’t the case, and on some tracks it does detract from the listening experience. I don’t want anyone to think that I’m being unfair in pointing this out, but I don’t think that I can give a true assessment of the album if I just pretend that he voice sounds great. Sometimes it doesn’t. Paul’s voice is a weakness on this album on many songs, although it is less noticeable in others.

But all things considered, the weakness of Paul’s voice is one of the minor flaws of this album. Chief among the major flaws, I think, is that he doesn’t really have much to tell us. As an artist he really doesn’t have much to say at this point in his career. Which is why is the album comes across as being so lightweight and disposable. I mean really, who cares if there’s a fence that needs to be fixed on McCartney‘s farm, and sheep and the geese don’t feel safe from the wolves? I don’t care about what’s going on his farm, and why should I? Why is it something that I would want to devote five minutes of my life listening to him sing about? McCartney has been very vocal about recording this album in lockdown, he’s kind of been promoting it is a “lockdown album”. But I get the sense he was going into his studio because he was bored and didn’t have anything better to do, and not because he had these strokes of inspiration or anything that he needed to rush in and record. I get the impression maybe he’d go into the studio without any ideas and just kind of work on whatever popped into his head while he was there that day. None of the songs give you a sense that he had this burning idea where he just had to get in the studio and get it on tape or anything like that. The album feels very workmanlike, very generic, and for the most part very uninspired.
[brutallyhonestrockalbumreviews.wordpress.com]

Date: April 17, 2021 05:10

^

Same anonymous reviewer who gave Dylan's Rough and Rowdy Ways a fat 0 out of 10!
Funny how he's afraid to put his name to his reviews, and it's no wonder the site has zero credibility as a serious source,
though it's been said he's a comedian and writes faux reviews in a similar vein as the Onion writes fake humorous stories.

Here's another fine example of his "wittiness" - giving the Stones a lower score than Macca!

Album Review: The Rolling Stones – Blue & Lonesome
The Rolling Stones – Blue & Lonesome
December 3, 2018
ALBUM REVIEW
OVERALL (OUT OF 10): 0

Rolling Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-17 05:18 by Hairball.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 17, 2021 06:08

Hairball
^

Same anonymous reviewer who gave Dylan's Rough and Rowdy Ways a fat 0 out of 10!
Funny how he's afraid to put his name to his reviews, and it's no wonder the site has zero credibility as a serious source,
though it's been said he's a comedian and writes faux reviews in a similar vein as the Onion writes fake humorous stories.

Here's another fine example of his "wittiness" - giving the Stones a lower score than Macca!

December 3, 2018
ALBUM REVIEW

Rolling Stones

But re Paul McCartney, he’s spot on. His work with The Beatles was monumental. His solo work, trite and twee. And, his voice HAS gone. No-one can diminish his legacy and his impact on music. Nor should we hide from the fact his solo work, especially later day, is awful.

Rod

Date: April 17, 2021 06:21

bitusa2012
Hairball
^

December 3, 2018
ALBUM REVIEW

Rolling Stones

But re Paul McCartney, he’s spot on. His work with The Beatles was monumental. His solo work, trite and twee. And, his voice HAS gone. No-one can diminish his legacy and his impact on music. Nor should we hide from the fact his solo work, especially later day, is awful.

Perhaps, and I dont fully disagree with any of that, but I do like some of his early solo material - the Band on the Run album, Live and Let Die, and even My Love, etc.
But aside from our opinions on Macca though, the fact is that every other credible publication gave the latest Macca albums (III and III Imagined) positive/rave reviews.
This guy is an anonymous wannabe comedian who lacks all crebility, and who even trashed Dylan and the Stones - not sure why anyone would cite his satire as a source calling it "honest".
Considering the trashing he gives Dylan, the Stones, and Macca, one can only wonder what he'd give the latest Grohl Jagger tune...is there such thing as a negative star review?

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 17, 2021 06:24

>His work with The Beatles was monumental. His solo work, trite and twee.

I was just going through the Anthology sets today and thinking the exact same thing. Its amazing how he went from so powerful in both singing and songwriting to what you call "trite and twee" (I am going to remember that one). Also his bass playing used to be really standout, and now it seems to be pedestrian in most cases.

I am going to spend more time with Anthology et al than I am with the multiple copies of this latest release. I didn't make it through it all the way honestly.

jb

Date: April 17, 2021 06:44

I'm liking the new version of Seize the Day w/ the nice and moody vocals from Phoebe Bridgers - there's almost an early Pink Floyd-like vibe to the tune now, and overall I like it better than the original.
I had never even heard of her until I saw her on SNL about a month ago, and she and her band were pretty darn good, but didn't realize she was also on this until I put two and two together.
Never did buy the original III as I heard it as much as I wanted via youtube, but these new versions take it to a different level...lots to digest and enjoy...might pre-order cd, but damn July 23 is a long ways off!
Might just have to settle on all the youtube links Irix provided to get my fill...for now anyways.

Date: April 26, 2021 05:44

With the numerous positive reviews like this flooding in, a good possibility Paul will get another Grammy (or two) to add to his giant stockpile.
Good for him I say, and while it's not the greatest thing to ever hit the airwaves, he deserves all the kudos for continuing to stay active, original, and ultimately relevant at his age.

From MontrealRocks.com:

Album Review – Paul McCartney – McCartney III Imagined

Macca III Imagined

Last year while the entire world was losing their shit, hoarding toilet paper and fighting with strangers over masks, a wise old man who lived on a lovely farm with his lovely family in Sussex, decided to record an album. In his typically creative fashion, he referred to the quarantine as the “rock down” and kept himself delightfully busy. Playing every instrument and penning each word he created McCartney III. Even if you’re not a Beatles fan, you got to have at least one favourite Paul McCartney song. His catalogue spans six decades and although his voice is incredibly distinct, he has definitely experimented with a lot of sounds and styles.

McCartney III Imagined continues his tradition of exploring new music with a fabulous guest list featuring some of the most talented and diverse artists around. Each contributor was personally enlisted by the ex-Beatle and brings a unique and exciting spin on their track. I don’t care how old you are or what type of music you listen to, when you get that call, you bloody well jump. The first track is Beck’s funked-up take on “Find My Way” which found its cutesy ear-worm way into my head and is still there. In an interview with SPIN Beck describes his inspiration as a memory of watching Paul bust a move on the dance floor with his wife Nancy. “I remembered that night and wanted to try to recapture that amazing spirit I felt while watching him on the dance floor…sort of my little tribute to Paul ‘in his groove,’” Beck says. “When I then heard the falsetto vocal in Paul’s original track I wanted to lean further into something really loose and funky – I pulled out my Hofner (because of course) and put down a few bass lines…and everything came to life from there. The best part of the entire experience, though, came a week after I’d turned in the remix when Paul called to tell me he’d been dancing in his kitchen to the track all week.” (SPIN)

The album is an eclectic mix due to the assortment of new and not-so-new artists who have an uncanny ability to somehow reinterpret a McCartney song and make it sound like their own. Dominic Fike brings a youthful charm to “Kiss of Venus”. His vocals are both sweet and passionate reminiscent of a Wings love song. McCartney proves that for a dude that was born in 1942 he’s still got his fingers on the pulse of new music. Not only has he chosen some female artists he has also chosen some not-so-mainstream ones as well. I really enjoyed St Vincent’s moody Portishead vibe on “Women and Wives”. And Phoebe Bridgers’ delicate and haunting vocals on “Seize The Day” was a fantastic fit. Blood Orange and Anderson Paak bring some soul to the record. On “Deep Down” Blood Orange’s lush harmonies add so much warmth to the track that it sounds better than the original. And Paak’s delicious drumming adds a rich layer to the melodic “When Winter Comes.” I’m a big fan of Khruangbin and was pleasantly surprised to hear their hypnotic groove on “Pretty Boys”. Damon Albarn’s (Blur)remix of “Long Tailed Winter Bird” was also pretty groovy with a psychedelic keyboard solo with a strong Ray Manzarek feel. Desert Rock bad boy Josh Homme adds his spin on“Lavatory Lil.” The lyrics and tone of the song sound like they could have been on the White Album. (I got a feeling that this song was written a long time ago). “Slidin” (Ed O’Brien/Radiohead) is the banger of the album with its solid guitar riff and McCartney uses his shouty voice (think Helter Skelter).

So, maybe you don’t have a 1,500-acre estate in England that you can escape to. And maybe you’re going through the 3rd or 4th wave of the lockdown and are feeling kind of lost. On April 16th McCartney III Imagined will be released and you can listen to what the man said.

You never used to be afraid of days like these
But now you’re overwhelmed by your anxieties
Let me help you out, let me be your guide
I can help you reach the love you feel inside

(Find My Way)

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: April 26, 2021 17:03

MisterDDDD
Brutal, but honest.

I just don't understand why anyone would take this review seriously. If this reviewer doesn't like Paul McCartney's music, that's their right. More power to 'em. But why do they keep listening to his music, then? Because it's their job? Because of some feeling of obligation? The reviewer makes it clear they have disdain for Paul's solo music, especially the last 20 years of it. And then in the same paragraph, they go on to put down the last 50 years of Paul's solo career - i.e. his entire solo career.

I don't like Rush. I couldn't tell you if their most recent albums were any good, because I don't listen to them. This reviewer implies that they've been listening to everything Paul has put out after the Beatles, and in their opinion none of it is good. That's just bullcrap

Why would I take this reviewer's opinion on "McCartney III" when they could find nothing to enjoy from "Egypt Station" or "New" or "Memory Almost Full"? Heck, apparently this reviewer didn't like anything on "Flaming Pie" or "Electric Arguments" or even "Band On The Run" and "Ram". If someone can't find ANY music they like on all of those albums, it's not because McCartney is bad, it's because they just don't like McCartney's music.

So, any review of "McCartney III" from a source like that just doesn't have any value that I can see other than confirming the thoughts of those readers who also hate all Paul McCartney's solo music.

I think saying that "McCartney III" is worthless because it doesn't have a song as good as "Maybe I'm Amazed" is ludicrous. It's like those people criticizing "Eazy Sleazy" because it's not as good as "Gimmie Shelter". You either like a song or not. Obviously, you can recognize the difference in quality between any two given songs, and have some songs you like more than others. But a song you like doesn't magically become "bad" because it doesn't equal the quality of another song. That's a pants-on-head way of thinking about music, in my opinion. Clicking through the tracks on "McCartney III" and thinking "Not as good as 'Maybe I'm Amazed' *click* Not as good as 'Maybe I'm Amazed' *click* Not as good as 'Maybe I'm Amazed' *click*..." is IMHO a dumb and rather shallow way of judging music.

Date: April 26, 2021 17:29

bitusa2012
His work with The Beatles was monumental. His solo work, trite and twee.

Why do "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" and "Octopus's Garden" get passes as monumental, but "Nothing Too Much Just Out Of Sight" and "Nod Your Head" are considered trite and twee? "Penny Lane" is about as twee as any song can possibly get, and you can't get much more trite than the lyrics to "Hello Goodbye".

bitusa2012
And, his voice HAS gone.

I disagree. His voice has changed, but it's far from unlistenable.

bitusa2012
Nor should we hide from the fact his solo work, especially later day, is awful.

And yet you keep listening to all of it, for some reason. I mean, you wouldn't say his solo work was awful unless you listened to all of it, right? Why do you keep on listening to albums like "Egypt Station" and "New" in their entirety if everything Paul has produced since 1969 has been awful? Of course you're going to find it awful if you go into every song planning on hating every note in advance. So many people judge songs nowadays by listening to it one time on crappy computer speakers in the middle of a weekday while sitting in a cubicle somewhere. "Bah, this song I'm hearing in a cubicle under florescent lights while staring at a computer spreadsheet at thirty-seven isn't as good as the song I heard on stereo speakers when I was smoking a joint and getting to first base for the first time at sixteen! Therefore it sucks."

Like I said above, I have to look askance at anyone who claims to like Paul McCartney's Beatles work, but can't find anything to enjoy on albums like "Flaming Pie" and "Memory Almost Full". It just doesn't add up. It's okay to say you don't like his music. Just don't claim to like his music then deride all of his solo work because of one or two singles you heard years ago and didn't like on the first listen.

Date: April 26, 2021 17:53

I keep going back to this because it's a conversation I've been having for decades now. I had a good friend at work one time, and we were discussing rock music. He parroted the same line: "McCartney was great with the Beatles but all his solo stuff sucked."

I said "Even 'Helen Wheels'?"

And, of course, he replied "What's that?"

How can someone judge Paul McCartney's solo work and not even know of the existence of "Helen Wheels"? It's because they heard "My Love" or "Silly Love Songs" or one of Paul's other singles on the radio decades ago and hated it. Therefore it's really easy to accept the conventional wisdom of those who judge Paul's entire output on a few singles they heard once or twice and didn't like. They don't bother to listen to entire albums the way they used to, so they never hear the deeper tracks.

How many people here criticizing McCartney's entire solo career as awful have even heard of "Electric Arguments", much less listened to the whole album?

Date: April 26, 2021 18:29

jahisnotdead
I keep going back to this because it's a conversation I've been having for decades now. I had a good friend at work one time, and we were discussing rock music. He parroted the same line: "McCartney was great with the Beatles but all his solo stuff sucked."

I said "Even 'Helen Wheels'?"

And, of course, he replied "What's that?"

How can someone judge Paul McCartney's solo work and not even know of the existence of "Helen Wheels"? It's because they heard "My Love" or "Silly Love Songs" or one of Paul's other singles on the radio decades ago and hated it. Therefore it's really easy to accept the conventional wisdom of those who judge Paul's entire output on a few singles they heard once or twice and didn't like. They don't bother to listen to entire albums the way they used to, so they never hear the deeper tracks.

How many people here criticizing McCartney's entire solo career as awful have even heard of "Electric Arguments", much less listened to the whole album?

Helen Wheels isn't his "solo work".
Loved a lot of Wings stuff, even the Silly Love Songs.

His actual solo work is what is (righteously imo) heavily criticized.
As many have mentioned "particularly his later stuff". Accurate.

Fortunately for hin, most music critics give him a pass from genuine or harsh critiques.. because of his past and stature.

*edit
The usual troll(s) will be along no doubt to hyperventilate and repeat their early posts about this particular critic etc in their attempt to praise Paul, and that's fine. They may even go so far as to ponder the guys mo, his living space his other reviews etc. A bit comical/delusional, but some simply can't fathom opinions that differ from their own. Odd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-26 19:09 by MisterDDDD.

Date: April 26, 2021 18:51

jahisnotdead
MisterDDDD
Brutal, but honest.

I just don't understand why anyone would take this review seriously.

Most people don't take anything about this review serious, or the anonymous writer, or his personal website- he's an amateur satirical writer right out of Mad magazine and similar to the Onion.
But he doesn't even rise to those low levels of humour. He probably lives in his moms basement and spends all his time on the internet. He actually gave the Stones' Blue and Lonesome a ZERO and Bob Dylan's latest a ZERO which gives you an idea how ridiculous it is, yet someone here went out of their way searching the internet for the one and only negative "honest" review on Paul, and it turns out it was a FAKE. The joke was on them unless they believe the Dylan and Stones reviews are "honest" also. Maybe they can find a credible source next time?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 26, 2021 20:21

This guy (McCartney) is arguably the greatest songwriter of our times.

Hell, even Babe Ruth struck out every now and then.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: April 27, 2021 02:47

Reimagined sucks.

Date: April 27, 2021 03:13

Nice one from BASS Magazine:

'McCartney III Imagined' Featuring All-Star Line Up

Macca III Imagined

McCartney III Imagined is a testament of Paul’s enduring and unmatched influence, a legacy
that stretches from “Yesterday” being the most covered song in contemporary musical history
to the inspiration his current work continues to hold for generations of artists and fans.

Hailed upon its release last year as "vital and comfortable taking new chances” (ROLLING STONE) and “cheery, resilient, forever looking forward” (THE NEW YORKER), Paul McCartney’s McCartney III is now literally moving into the future in the form of McCartney III Imagined, released digitally from April 16 on Capitol Records, with physical formats available for pre-order now. Personally curated by Paul, McCartney III Imagined features an A-List assortment of friends, fans and brand new acquaintances, each covering and/or reimagining their favorite McCartney III moments in their own signature styles. The result is a kaleidoscopic reinterpretation - one that serves as an extension of the instantly beloved McCartney III while standing on its own as a brilliant and adventurous milestone in the McCartney discography.

Advance offerings from McCartney III Imagined have included “Slidin’” by Ed O’Brien (EOB ) who described the experience as “a moment of light in the darkness of the winter that's just been," Beck’s “Find My Way” that saw him “take the song completely somewhere unexpected," and Dominic Fike’s cover of “The Kiss of Venus” which "switches up the acoustic ballad into a futuristic R&B jam” (BILLBOARD).McCartney III Imagined will make its TV debut May 3 when Dominic Fike performs his already universally acclaimed version of “The Kiss Of Venus” on The Late Late Show with James Corden.

Originally released December 18, 2020, McCartney III is the third in a trilogy of home-made and self-titled albums that began with Paul's 1970 solo debut McCartney, and continued in 1980 with McCartney II. All three albums were written, performed and produced by Paul in varying states of isolation, all showcasing his unique creativity and inspired spontaneity. Recorded in “Rockdown," McCartney III topped album charts across the world, scoring Paul his first UK#1 album in 31 years – increasing his lead as the UK’s most successful chart act of all time.

McCartney III Imagined continues the tradition of the biggest and most diverse names in music covering Paul’s songs — an ever-expanding lineup that ranges from more recent versions by Billie Eilish, Harry Styles, Dave Grohl, Coldplay and The Cure, to interpretations over the years from the likes of U2, Guns N’ Roses, Earth Wind & Fire, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Marvin Gaye, Bill Withers, Joe Cocker, Stevie Wonder, Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Ray Charles and so many more. McCartney III Imagined is a testament of Paul’s enduring and unmatched influence, a legacy that stretches from “Yesterday” being the most covered song in contemporary musical history to the inspiration his current work continues to hold for generations of artists and fans.

McCartney III Imagined physical formats are also available for pre-order, with their release following this summer, including exclusive color vinyl editions available at Target, Barnes & Noble, Indie record stores, Newbury Comics, and PaulMcCartney.com. Physical configurations will feature the exclusive bonus track "Long Tailed Winter Bird (Idris Elba Remix)."

1. Find My Way (feat. Beck)
2. The Kiss of Venus (Dominic Fike)
3. Pretty Boys (feat. Khruangbin)
4. Women And Wives (St. Vincent Remix)
5. Deep Down (Blood Orange Remix)
6. Seize The Day (feat. Phoebe Bridgers)
7. Slidin’ (EOB Remix)
8. Long Tailed Winter Bird (Damon Albarn Remix)
9. Lavatory Lil (Josh Homme)
10. When Winter Comes (Anderson .Paak Remix)
11. Deep Deep Feeling (3D RDN Remix)
12. Long Tailed Winter Bird (Idris Elba Remix)*

* Physical release exclusive track

Date: April 27, 2021 03:35

Brutal, but honest.

Well, at least I don’t think McCartney II is Paul McCartney’s worst solo album anymore.

Perhaps at the outset of this review I should make it very clear that my disdain for much of McCartney’s solo work – especially over the past twenty years – is not because I don’t think he’s talented, and certainly not because I hate the guy. I’m a huge fan and admirer. I don’t believe anyone who has walked the earth has ever been given as much pure musical talent as Paul McCartney, and I am being 100% sincere. Which is why I am so disappointed that he is used that unimaginable amount of talent to so little effect over the last 50 years of his solo career. And his latest album, McCartney III, makes the point about as well as any of his albums I can think of.

It is an album bogged down with endless repetition of musical phrases that weren’t even that interesting the first time you heard them (think “Momma Miss America” or “Valentine’s Day” from the original McCartney album). It has the occasional promising idea for a song that fails to engage because the spark of a brilliant idea for a song was never properly nurtured into a flame. It has the lamest melodies of any McCartney album ever, from a man who has written more amazing melodies than anyone. It plays to all of McCartney’s weaknesses without the benefit of any of his strengths. I’d call it disappointing if it wasn’t pretty much what I expected from McCartney at this point in his artistic career.

I don’t know that I’ve ever come to an album with lower expectations than I did for McCartney III. Which meant that at times I was pleasantly surprised by some nice musical moments, some interesting guitar playing, snatches of musical inspiration here and there. But on the whole it met my low expectations, and it reminded me very much of the tossed-off vibe of the original McCartney album. Except that one had a true powerhouse song in “Maybe I’m Amazed”. Otherwise it was mostly ramshackle musical sketches, underdeveloped ideas, and uninspired instrumentals that had initial spark but meandered along going nowhere for the most part, with the occasional pleasant trifle (“Junk”, “Every Night”). A decade later McCartney II was a synthpop disaster, wherein McCartney decided simply having a synthesizer on the album was enough to make it interesting. The songs were maybe a little better developed and more structured on McCartney II, but they weren’t good songs. I think McCartney III is a mix of the first and second McCartney albums, in that there are snatches of undeveloped musical ideas that are interesting in places like the first, and there aren’t really enough solid songs to make a great album like the second. There are certainly no “Maybe I’m Amazed” level bursts of epic songcraft to serve as justification for the album’s existence. That first McCartney album was not a great album by any stretch, but it did have one indisputably classic song, one that was among the greatest songs McCartney – or anyone else for that matter – has ever written. The same cannot be said of McCartney III, there is no track anyone is going to argue is a timeless classic anywhere in this set of songs. “The Kiss of Venus” has a lovely melody, but it’s not a classic song. “Seize the Day” is catchy, has a nice melody, and is probably the best of the bunch, but it’s certainly not on the level of “Maybe I’m Amazed”. Nothing else is strong enough or memorable enough to really be a contender for a classic song, and “Seize the Day” isn’t even close. Really, the album is just McCartney farting around in the studio, and not really something that’s worth serious consideration if you ask me.

I want to get one criticism of the album out of the way right at the beginning: Paul’s voice is a problem. He’s almost 80 years old, no one can fault him for getting older and his voice consequently getting weaker, but I think we need to acknowledge that it detracts from some of the songs to hear his voice sounding so weak and old. It’s not that I think it’s appropriate to be mean about it, but I also don’t think it’s appropriate to pretend it isn’t a problem. It needs to be acknowledged. McCartney’s voice isn’t what it used to be, and that’s not his fault, but we shouldn’t pretend that it isn’t the case, and on some tracks it does detract from the listening experience. I don’t want anyone to think that I’m being unfair in pointing this out, but I don’t think that I can give a true assessment of the album if I just pretend that he voice sounds great. Sometimes it doesn’t. Paul’s voice is a weakness on this album on many songs, although it is less noticeable in others.

But all things considered, the weakness of Paul’s voice is one of the minor flaws of this album. Chief among the major flaws, I think, is that he doesn’t really have much to tell us. As an artist he really doesn’t have much to say at this point in his career. Which is why is the album comes across as being so lightweight and disposable. I mean really, who cares if there’s a fence that needs to be fixed on McCartney‘s farm, and sheep and the geese don’t feel safe from the wolves? I don’t care about what’s going on his farm, and why should I? Why is it something that I would want to devote five minutes of my life listening to him sing about? McCartney has been very vocal about recording this album in lockdown, he’s kind of been promoting it is a “lockdown album”. But I get the sense he was going into his studio because he was bored and didn’t have anything better to do, and not because he had these strokes of inspiration or anything that he needed to rush in and record. I get the impression maybe he’d go into the studio without any ideas and just kind of work on whatever popped into his head while he was there that day. None of the songs give you a sense that he had this burning idea where he just had to get in the studio and get it on tape or anything like that. The album feels very workmanlike, very generic, and for the most part very uninspired.

Date: April 27, 2021 03:52

^

December 3, 2018
ALBUM REVIEW

Rolling Stones

Date: April 27, 2021 04:20

MisterDDDD
Brutal, but honest.

Guy triggers people apparently.
Sad, but he nailed this one.

Date: April 27, 2021 04:25

Seems the creepy troll above is the one whose been triggered...again...trolling a Macca thread...must be desperate! lol...

Date: April 27, 2021 04:33

Like many wanna be bullies, this fkg clown who insists on stating his negativity on every thread, repetitively, hates his own medicine.

Sad.
Like this album.

Date: April 27, 2021 04:33

MisterDDDD
MisterDDDD
Brutal, but honest.

Guy triggers people apparently.
Sad, but he nailed this one.

+1 smileys with beer

Date: April 27, 2021 04:41

Lol......trolling the Macca thread.........desperate .......quoting himself.........repeated posting of fake reviews from fake critics.....triggered!

Date: April 27, 2021 05:03

Elmo Lewis
This guy (McCartney) is arguably the greatest songwriter of our times.

Hell, even Babe Ruth struck out every now and then.

True enough, and while these two new albums (yes two!) aren't quite up there with his legendary best, the numerous positive and rave reviews show unanimous respect and admiration for Sir Paul.
The still highly active and creative living legend is still a force to be reckoned with, and seems certain he'll pick up more Grammy's to add to the whopping 18 he's previously won throughout the decades.

Date: April 27, 2021 07:57

One of the better tunes on the original McCartney III album.

And interesting to hear the newer experimental remixed version.

Had the Beatles still existed in 2021, a nice glimpse of what they partially/possibly might have sounded like - at least in regards to the Paul tunes.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 27, 2021 08:34

Ooh, awful!! I didn't listen to the actual album, but went thru the itunes samples of each track. It is as some have said, unlistenable. Wow.

Date: April 27, 2021 08:54

jahisnotdead
First listen reactions to all but Find My Way, The Kiss Of Venus, and Slidin'.

-

1. Find My Way (feat. Beck) - I guess I never noticed that Paul and Beck's voices have similar timbre. This is a pretty cool midtempo dance version with a enjoyable groove. I like it, even though it's not really outstanding.

2. The Kiss Of Venus (Dominic Fike) - I like this track very much, Fike added some nice new elements to the song that I think actually built upon Paul's melodies in a way that enhanced the song without feeling at all incongruous.

3. Pretty Boys (feat. Khruangbin) - Looks like someone forgot to add Khruangbin's name to the video title. The original "Pretty Boys" is the only clunker on "McCartney III" for me, so I'm really happy with this total reinvention that seems to have entirely new music with occasional snippets of Paul's vocals. This one is excellent.

4. Women And Wives (St. Vincent Remix) - Fantastic. I think this one is actually better than the original. She found the groove and enhanced it without deviating from it that much. Great work.

5. Deep Down (Blood Orange Remix) - Deemphasizes the main synth horn riff of the original with a pretty different and enjoyable remix. I don't it's better than the original version, though.

6. Seize The Day (feat. Phoebe Bridgers) - Paul's version took some time to grow on me, and maybe this one will too. But I don't really like this on the first listen. For some reason the thudding rumbling bass doesn't mesh with her overly delicate vocals.

7. Slidin' (EOB Remix) - Yes, this remix is pretty good, even though it's not amazing. "Slidin'" is the type of song that benefits from a slightly faster tempo and heavier sound.

8. Long Tailed Winter Bird (Damon Albarn Remix) - Very different remix, low key electronica. I don't think it improves on the original, but it's an enjoyable remix, certainly listenable.

9. Lavatory Lil (Josh Homme) - I like this unexpectedly softer cover. Taking a lighter approach helped.

10. When Winter Comes (Anderson .Paak Remix) - I don't think this one works for me at all. It's just not the type of song that lends itself to this type of remix. The jittery drums don't match.

11. Deep Deep Feeling (3D RDN Remix) - Some real evocation of the electronica from "McCartney II" with a remix featuring a "Temporary Secretary"-esque riff. Normally this would appeal to me, and I appreciate the trippiness, but I don't think there's a unifying musical vision for this remix.

Wondering if you're opinions have changed on any of these. Still not too much of a fan of the original, but after listening to some of the newer remixes (some better than others), I'll take a few minutes and go back to the originals and I seem to have a better appreciation for it than I might have initially had. I still think both are far from his best work, but there's definitely some high quality aspects to them (as every critical review suggests), and it's been a slow burner that takes some time. Similar to a lengthy classic novel, can't expect to enjoy it after reading just a couple random sentences. Whatever one thinks though, and in contrast to other anti-productive bands and musicians, hats off to Paul for actually getting something done. thumbs up

Date: May 31, 2021 20:47

Paul McCartney stamp collections available from the Royal Mail with dozens of options to choose from:Royal MaccaStamps

There have been some John Lennon postage stamps here in the US, but I don't think there have ever been any of Paul.

------------------------------------------------------------

Story from the Guardian:

Paul McCartney to be honoured with a set of postage stamps

Eight images from post-Beatles albums and four recording studio shots will adorn Royal Mail stamps on sale later this month

Macca

Royal Mail has honoured Sir Paul McCartney with a set of 12 special stamps. The main collection features images of eight career-defining albums – solo and with Wings – McCartney, RAM, Venus and Mars, McCartney II, Tug of War, Flaming Pie, Egypt Station and finally McCartney III, which he recorded alone in 2020 during the pandemic and which topped the UK album chart last December. A mini sheet of four additional stamps shows McCartney in the recording studio, with photos selected from across three decades: recording McCartney in 1970, RAM in 1971, McCartney II in 1980 and Flaming Pie in 1997. Royal Mail called the stamps “a fitting tribute to one of the UK’s much loved and revered musical icons”.

McCartney is one of only three solo music artists to get his own dedicated stamp issue, following David Bowie in 2017 and Elton John in 2019. Queen were honoured with their own stamps in 2020. The stamps go on sale on 28 May in a wide variety of formats, from a presentation pack to a prestige stamp book and framed images.

McCartney is preparing to publish a two-volume memoir in November, described as a “self-portrait in 154 songs” that stretches to more than 900 pages. A statement from publisher Allen Lane said the books would explore “the circumstances in which [the songs] were written, the people and places that inspired them, and what [McCartney] thinks of them now”.

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: May 31, 2021 22:56

Good, So now we can all lick his backside one last time and send him far, far away.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5253545556575859606162...LastNext
Current Page: 57 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1748
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home