Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4950515253545556575859...LastNext
Current Page: 54 of 67
Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: December 20, 2020 01:49

Irix
Review of McCartney III by [www.SuperDeluxeEdition.com] , SDE’s overall album rating: 3/5:

Interesting review. I largely agree. I still don't like "Pretty Boys" at all. "Seize The Day" is just okay. I can't get enthused about it, but I can listen to it. I like "Lavatory Lil". The only thing wrong with it IMHO is that it's a bit ordinary compared to the other tracks that feel more adventurous and have more spark.

I'm back and forth on "When Winter Comes". Part of me finds it a little annoying. It's not the type of song I normally gravitate towards. But another part also recognizes that it is catchy and does a good job of evoking farm life. It's also a good closer for the album, because it has a different feel to it. So it's one that I might not add to a playlist, but wouldn't skip when listening to the album.

I'm warming up to "The Kiss Of Venus". It's still not really my thing, but I can better recognize why people like it.

On the other hand, "Find My Way" seems to get better every time I listen to it. I love that little modest fluttery guitar line that almost has a tropical sound to it. I'm also a complete sucker for those synth horn lines in "Deep Down".

I think it's a good record. I've enjoyed listening to it several times now. I find it rewarding and relaxing.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 20, 2020 04:10

So no one has gotten physical copies yet, right? All this reaction is from listening to pieces on youtube?

jb

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: December 20, 2020 15:49

jbwelda
So no one has gotten physical copies yet, right? All this reaction is from listening to pieces on youtube?

jb

I have it on CD and also vinyl. I have the limited edition white vinyl waiting for me at a record store but we have just gone into more heavy COVID restrictions in my part of the U.K so I have no idea when I will be able to collect it!

It's a great album. Like all great albums it's a grower, and becomes more rewarding with each listen.

Standout tracks for me are:

Women and Wives
Pretty Boys
Slidin'
When Winter Comes
Long Tailed Winter Bird

The only track that I feel is 'filler' is the penultimate one - 'Deep Down'.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 20, 2020 15:55

It’s bloody awful. Most of the singing is flat and monotone. Rubbish. We “shit” on Keith for his insane lyrics as an “elder” when he sings about sex. McCartney’s are just dribble

Rod

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 20, 2020 16:07

I have heard the whole album several times and I have to say the songs don't do much for me. I love Paul and I am sure 2 or three songs would make a nice addition to a live selist, but for me, the album is totally forgetable. Lavatory Lil is kind of catchy, but nowhere near to what Paul is sometimes (many many...many times) capable of

On the other hand I can imagine he had fun doing it and it is honestly the best thing he could have done this shitty year. So if he had fun, I am happy for him. He has earned the privillage to do whatever he pleases.

Just I can't see myself playing it other than now when it is new. The new Springsteen album spoke to me immediately. This one doesn't. But man, how I would love to see Paul live again. Eventhough his voice is not what it used to be, he can still deliver a fantastic live show.

Anyway I will surely still give it more listens, maybe it will grow on me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-20 16:10 by Happy24.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 20, 2020 21:27

This album seems to be for strictly McCartney solo career fans because nothing about it has any nod to anything else. I like some of it but none of it speaks to me in terms of I MUST LISTEN TO THIS AGAIN.

Of his solo releases nothing has ever had a ring to it like any Beatles or Wings songs he's done with one exception that I can think of: Uncle Albert.

Date: December 20, 2020 21:38

McCartney's Wonderful Christmastime is silly and awful! Jimmy Buffett's version is a gazillion times better!

O-U-T spells out...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 21, 2020 10:16

Herald Sun -- 20 December 2020

ROCKMAN

Date: December 21, 2020 21:59

jbwelda

jb

Spotify for me. That's enough. One doesn't need a physical record to tell if the songs and production are good or bad. Even on a shitty YouTube video you can hear if a band sucks or not.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: December 22, 2020 21:55

Got the MP3 of Mac III off (U.S.) Amazon for $3.99 today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-22 22:43 by KSIE.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 22, 2020 22:18

KSIE
Got the MP3 of Mac III off (U.S.) Amazon for $3.99 today. Must be a bargain basement album already.

Actually, it's out of the kindness of Paul's heart. smiling smiley
From an email I received:

FOR THREE DAYS ONLY:
GET McCARTNEY III FOR $3.99 ON AMAZON

For a limited time only McCartney III is available to download for only $3.99 on Amazon. > McCartney III

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: December 22, 2020 22:42

Thanks Hairball for setting me straight, and thanks to Paul for his generosity. smileys with beer

Date: December 23, 2020 00:28

Cheers KSIE - thumbs up - Paul's been busy spreading the love....hard to keep up with everything...
And another cool brand new video...

Date: December 23, 2020 00:46

could barely even track jump thru it ...
boredom was enough to push one to taking crack ...

ROCKMAN

Date: December 23, 2020 01:02

I kind of like that tune...catchy and hypnotic w/ it's folksy Celtic meets India meets Liverpool meets Fab Four meets rock and roll. It's definitely grown on me, and the video compliments it all.
New and original Macca to help get through these troubled times - just in time for X-mas, and will surely be around for quite some time throughout the New Year. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-23 01:05 by Hairball.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 23, 2020 01:26

Rockman
could barely even track jump thru it ...
boredom was enough to push one to taking crack ...

Right??
Even at $3.99 for the actual album, I'd pass.
Damn shame.

Paul's been horri.. I mean, prolific, I'll give him that.
As there are some who constantly and obnoxiously compare everything anyone does to the Stones cool smiley, Mick could do better in his sleep than this. The few new songs they have put out recently are better than this whole lot. Hell, LIAGT alone is much better. Kinda get some Satisfaction from that.

Date: December 23, 2020 03:03

From Billboard - not surprising news especially considering the near unanimous positive/rave reviews from the press:

Paul McCartney’s ‘III’ On Track For U.K. Christmas No. 1 > SIR PAUL

Christmas could be a time of winning for Paul McCartney, who is heading for his first solo U.K. No. 1 in more than 30 years.

The Beatles great last Friday (Dec. 18) released McCartney III (EMI), the third and final chapter in a trilogy of LPs dating back 40 years.

According to the Official Charts Company, the album is at No. 1 on the midweek chart after bolting out the gate with almost 25,000 chart sales over the weekend.
If it holds its momentum, McCartney III will give the Hall of Famer his first solo No. 1 album since 1989’s Flowers in the Dirt.

Recorded in isolation earlier this year, McCartney performed every instrument on the new release.

The master songwriter is already the most successful albums act in U.K. recorded music history, with 22 No. 1s across his career with the Beatles, Wings, and solo efforts.
His most recent solo collection, 2018’s Egypt Station, went to No. 1 on the Billboard 200 but peaked at No. 3 on the Official U.K. Albums Chart.

It wouldn’t be the first time he’s worn the Christmas chart crown. Twenty years ago, The Beatles hits collection 1 ruled the 2000 Christmas chart, and the Liverpool legends nabbed six holiday chart leaders in the 1960s.

22 No. 1s throughout his career is amazing! An incredible achievement, and a good chance he'll be making it 23 very soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-23 03:05 by Hairball.

Date: December 23, 2020 03:43

They say that we'll know the numbers on Christmas Day. I'd be kind of surprised if he didn't get number one. From what I can tell, Taylor Swift has two physical deluxe edition CD's with 2 bonus songs, a cassette (!), and a vinyl version that is sold out. McCartney's store doesn't list some of the sold out products anymore. If memory serves, there were at least 2 vinyl versions of McCartney III that sold out in pre-order. Then there were the color packages with shirts, hats, mask, and dice. Apparently all four colors sold out too. And the less expensive softpack bundle of the four color CD's. Now the regular vinyl version is listed as sold out, as well as the songbook with CD included.

That's a lot of physical media sold. I just can't imagine that Taylor Swift fans will be getting the physical versions of her album at the same rate people were probably buying those bundles as Christmas gifts. From what I know, her album was a surprise release, and it would seem to me in that case that she wouldn't get the added benefit of having a couple of months worth of preorders. I'm sure the Amazon discount on the digital version will also help McCartney's sales for a lot of those people on the fence but probably can't escape the near-universal critical acclaim.

I wonder if views on his official YouTube channel count in the streaming numbers? Logically, I don't see why they wouldn't.

Date: December 23, 2020 04:01

wow, I'm just now seeing that there have been four music videos released in the last twelve hours. It was nice to see Linda in "When Winter Comes".

He HAS to have super trippy one for "Deep Deep Feeling" soon. That would kick ass.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 23, 2020 04:06

It's amazing how low the sales are in the UK this year, Taylor Swift just hit #1 with only 27k, Macca will be #1 on Christmas week with less than 50k sold.

Blue and Lonesome sold 105k in the first week of December 2016, the entire Top 6 on Christmas week sold over 50k that year including B&L at #4 with 58k sold in the 4th week, sales are down over 50% in less than 4 years.

Date: December 23, 2020 04:38

> Mick could do better in his sleep than this.

The key word would be "could" because...has he?

Anyway I just wanted to know if it was actually released or if everyone was listening to a leaked version. Didn't mean to imply quality or lack of it, just whether the actual thing was released and available.

thanks
jb

Date: December 23, 2020 10:56

jbwelda
> Mick could do better in his sleep than this.

The key word would be "could" because...has he?

Anyway I just wanted to know if it was actually released or if everyone was listening to a leaked version. Didn't mean to imply quality or lack of it, just whether the actual thing was released and available.

thanks
jb

Released: [open.spotify.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 23, 2020 13:25

jbwelda

Anyway I just wanted to know if it was actually released or if everyone was listening to a leaked version.

McCartney III was released on Friday, 18-Dec-2020 - [www.SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Date: December 23, 2020 15:33

It's out, and apparently some stores even stocked it early. I double dipped and ordered the CD and the digital download. My CD hasn't arrived yet, though.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 23, 2020 17:50

McCartney III is #1 in the German Top-100 Album-Charts - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] , [www.OffizielleCharts.de] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-25 18:55 by Irix.

Date: December 23, 2020 20:29

Well I got the four cheap cds with the bonus tracks, wonder how much i can flog them for on the bay seeing as I doubt I will like much of it. I mean, if Rockman sez it will drive him to crack up...maybe but its looking doubtful.

jb

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 23, 2020 21:39

Wish I could unlisten the little I've heard.

Date: December 23, 2020 23:01

To think this latest stuff comes
from the man who once gave the world Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da ....

Awwwww yeah .... now it kinda makes sense

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: December 23, 2020 23:07

Having heard it, it’s interesting the way all the early reviews called out Lavatory Lil as a mistake - one even comparing it to the truly awful Bogey Music from McCartney II. Lavatory Lil is lightweight, it won’t be remembered in a month, but it’s perfectly listenable. If you played me that before the rest of the record and said “that’s the worst track on it”, I’d be expecting it to be a pretty good record. And it is.

Date: December 27, 2020 01:10

Congrats are in order for Sir Paul. thumbs up

Paul McCartney secures first Number 1 solo album in 31 years: “Thank you to everyone”

The Beatles legend’s 18th solo studio album has secured the Albums Chart's festive top spot.

By Rob Copsey
25 December 2020

Congratulations to Paul McCartney, who claims this year’s Official Christmas Number 1 album and his first solo chart-topping record in 31 years with McCartney III.

After a close battle with Taylor Swift’s Evermore (2), The Beatles legend’s 18th solo studio album secures the festive top spot. The UK’s most successful albums artist of all time, McCartney’s new release McCartney III is the third and final chapter in a trilogy of albums, starting with his chart-topping debut album McCartney in 1970 and followed by McCartney II in 1980. Celebrating the news, McCartney told OfficialCharts.com: “I just want to say Happy Christmas, Happy New Year, and a big thank you to everyone who helped get my record to Number 1 in the album charts.”

McCartney III is the music icon’s first solo Number 1 album since 1989’s Flowers In The Dirt. It’s also not the first time he has claimed a Christmas Number 1 album – scoring one 20 years ago when The Beatles’ greatest hits 1 topped the Christmas charts in 2000, with the Fab Four earning a further six festive chart toppers during the 1960s.

See where all Paul McCartney’s songs and albums charted. > Macca

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4950515253545556575859...LastNext
Current Page: 54 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1369
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home