Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 67
Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 24, 2020 23:10

Two tracks were previewed on a Beatles Podcast this week-end [www.mixcloud.com]

Pretty lo-fi but When Winter Comes (dates back to 92) is gorgeous, Find My Way, not so much but has some unusual "surf guitars" !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 24, 2020 23:44

When Winter Comes is melodically really nice, not so sure about the cheap-sounding drum-machine backing though.

Thanks for posting gtb

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 25, 2020 23:55

Paul McCartney‘s mammoth ‘collector’s edition’ of his 1997 album Flaming Pie received a 2021 GRAMMY nomination on 24-Nov-2020 for “Best Boxed Or Special Limited Edition Package“. Competitors are: Grateful Dead (Giants Stadium 1987/89/91), Depeche Mode (MODE 18CD-set), Wilco (Ode to Joy), Various Artists (The Story Of Ghostly International) - [www.SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: December 4, 2020 06:24

Paul McCartney - Just Because

written in 1929.

recorded in 1993 Paul is Live Tour, Tokyo Dome, Japan.

This is not the Lloyd Price song, nor the other song 'Just Because' recorded by John, nor Lennon's Lloyd Price cover with same name, but a completely different song altogether.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: December 10, 2020 17:02

McCartney III has leaked. It is quite good! (assuming you’re a Macca fan since you’re reading this thread). Very adventurous and creative-his best since Chaos & Creation, IMO.

Date: December 10, 2020 18:45

Tracklist:

01. Long Tailed Winter Bird - 5:17
02. Find My Way - 3:55
03. Pretty Boys - 3:01
04. Woman and Wives - 2:52
05. Lavatory Lil - 2:23
06. Deep Deep Feeling - 8:26
07. Slidin' - 3:24
08. The Kiss of Venus - 3:08
09. Seize the Day - 3:22
10. Deep Down - 5:54
11. Winter Bird / When Winter Comes - 3:12

Date: December 10, 2020 20:23

Ross
McCartney III has leaked. It is quite good! (assuming you’re a Macca fan since you’re reading this thread). Very adventurous and creative-his best since Chaos & Creation, IMO.

Link please!!!

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: December 10, 2020 20:43

peoplewitheyes
Ross

Link please!!!

I don't think posting a link to to "pirated" material is allowed. But bit torrent is your friend! Arrrgh, Matey, maybe check out the Bay where Pirates hang out!

Date: December 10, 2020 22:00

gotcha, Ross, thanks shipmate

smileys with beer

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 10, 2020 22:48

Imagine the thrill if the Stones were to ever release a new album...
Instead, they give us colored vinyl oldies and compilations (HONK eye rolling smiley ), and near 50 year old recycled leftover tunes that were originlly scrapped and forgotten.
The release of the new Ghost Town was exciting, but alas it was just one lonely tune, and you can only listen to it so many times before you want to hear something else.

Anyhow, hats off to Paul...and Bob...and The Who ...and Neil...and many others...even Springsteen... for keeping it real by releasing brand new albums w/new material for their fans to enjoy.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 11, 2020 00:13

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 11, 2020 02:24

I got something to look forward to when i get those four cds of basically the same material outside the couple of bonus tracks per disk. Was kind of wary about it because Macca's sugary stuff really doesnt do much for me sometimes but you know what they say: hope springs eternal in the mind of a...

jb

Date: December 11, 2020 02:34

Via The Guardian - a positive 4 of 5 star review.

Paul McCartney: McCartney III review – lockdown LP has his best songs in years

McCartney III

Good for Paul. thumbs up

Date: December 11, 2020 03:20

>05. Lavatory Lil - 2:23

This does not bode well if you ask me. A long ways from Polythene Pam. Perhaps I will be surprised.

jb

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: December 11, 2020 12:15

Good to hear that the early word is positive. I'm going to wait until release day to listen to it, but am strongly considering double dipping and getting the digital version. It's going to be hard waiting for that CD to arrive. I hope they ship it early.

That Guardian review cracked me up:

"In fact, [Lavatory Lil] feels more like a successor to the interminable joke track Bogey Music, one bit of McCartney II that not even the nuttiest Macca fan has attempted to reassess."

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Wow, I must be nuttier than the nuttiest Macca fan, because Bogey Music is one of my favorite tracks!

Date: December 11, 2020 12:30

Hairball
Instead, they give us colored vinyl oldies and compilations (HONK eye rolling smiley ), and near 50 year old recycled leftover tunes that were originlly scrapped and forgotten.
The release of the new Ghost Town was exciting, but alas it was just one lonely tune, and you can only listen to it so many times before you want to hear something else.

Anyhow, hats off to Paul...and Bob...and The Who ...and Neil...and many others...even Springsteen... for keeping it real by releasing brand new albums w/new material for their fans to enjoy.

Paul's presales were apparently so good that he added more versions of the album and more merchandise. I'm kind of hoping the Stones are doing a bit of parallel thinking with their brick & mortar store and preparing for a merchandising blitz whenever the new album finally comes out... if it ever does.

I agree with you. Living In A Ghost Town was great, and I am all for Scarlet and All The Rage, but they feel like appetizers when you're starving. Fifteen years between albums of original material is just too long for an active band. It's depressing that their legacy has become so precious that they apparently feel they can't put out new albums that will ever live up to it. I'm glad that McCartney, Dylan and the rest don't feel so hemmed in by their past that they're second-guessing themselves into limbo like the Stones.

Date: December 11, 2020 16:30

The German HiFi-Magazine AUDIO 01-2021 gives the McCIII-Album 4 out of 5 stars for the content and 3.5 out of 5 stars for the sonic quality. They wrote on pg. 149:

"50 years after 'McCartney' (three good songs, the rest somehow unfinished) and 40 years after 'McCartney II' (a lot of experimental fuss), the meanwhile 78-year-old ex-Beatle Paul McCartney presents a third album, also recorded alone due to Corona. He recalled his gifted abilities as a melodist and recorded eleven songs, of which only two ('Deep Deep Feeling', 'Deep Down') become a bit boring. Otherwise he delivers partly grandiose pop songs. Only his singing is a bit too often in falsetto. But someone who can still belt out cool rockers like 'Lavatory Lil' and sophisticated melancholic songs like 'Woman And Wives' with 60 years in business is still top of the pops."

5 out of 5 stars for the content and 4 out of 5 stars for the sonic quality by the German HiFi-Magazine [www.Stereo.de] - (02-2021):

"Paul McCartney used his time in Lockdown for a special project: It wasn't planned, but now there was suddenly time available to work on song drafts that were lying around in the pile or, as McCartney himself puts it, to simply make music for himself.

The album, which simply bears the name 'III' and thus continues a 50- or 40-year tradition of one-man-band releases (1970/1980), shows the astonishingly young-sounding 78-year-old ex-Beatle from the experimental side: audibly, it is not about delivering polished, carefully curated songs, but about doing what is delightfully fun. Finally, someone of this calibre dares to produce not with any intention, but without restrictions and entirely for personal fun.

The listeners also have this fun when they experience a very personal, unpolished, acoustically almost 'naked' and thus particularly authentic Macca, as on 'Pretty Boys'. Furthermore, with 'Women And Wifes', 'Lavatory Lil' and 'Kiss Of Venus' or the framing 'Long Tailed Winter Bird'/'Winter Bird - When Winter Comes', the album contains a few of the freshest McCartney songs of recent times, despite various allusions to the past, and with 'Deep, Deep Feeling' or 'Slidin'' also the most courageous in terms of arrangement. Only some of the songs fall short, and McCartney is known to be an accomplished multi-instrumentalist with an almost audible mischievous grin on his lips. This is also the case here. The album was only available as a stream, but the sound was appealing despite or even because of the self-production."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-05 22:45 by Irix.

Date: December 11, 2020 16:45

Nice

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-11 16:47 by peoplewitheyes.

Date: December 11, 2020 16:50

5.5 out of 6 stars by the German Musikexpress 01-2021, pg. 81:

"Hoped-for experimental wonder bag and another gem in the renaissance of a genius. MCCARTNEY (1970), a man with a full beard and burnout against the rest of the world. MCCARTNEY II (1980), enervated by jet-set, drugs & rock'n'roll in experimental nerd retreat. Someone needs a challenge to get into top form. Now Lockdown and MCCARTNEY III. "I don't care to be bad, I prefer to think twice, all I know is it's quite a show but it's still alright to be nice", he sings in "Seize The Day" - and echoes the great deeds of RUBBER SOUL (1965) and REVOLVER (1966) without slipping into nostalgia. Since a long time already, nothing there sounds obsessive youthful anymore. The gripping doom metal of "Slidin'" is also probably the least embarrassing heavy rocker that the pop star post-retirement generation has produced so far. But the tender, acoustic songs ("Pretty Boys", "The Kiss Of Venus") are also convincing. As is so often the case when McCartney makes music alone, the resulting gruffness and simplicity do the songs good. MCCARTNEY III is the hoped-for experimental wonder bag and another highlight in the over 30-year artistic renaissance of a genius. Hopefully not the last!"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-12 19:35 by Irix.

Date: December 11, 2020 19:34

jahisnotdead
Hairball

Paul's presales were apparently so good that he added more versions of the album and more merchandise. I'm kind of hoping the Stones are doing a bit of parallel thinking with their brick & mortar store and preparing for a merchandising blitz whenever the new album finally comes out... if it ever does.

I agree with you. Living In A Ghost Town was great, and I am all for Scarlet and All The Rage, but they feel like appetizers when you're starving. Fifteen years between albums of original material is just too long for an active band. It's depressing that their legacy has become so precious that they apparently feel they can't put out new albums that will ever live up to it. I'm glad that McCartney, Dylan and the rest don't feel so hemmed in by their past that they're second-guessing themselves into limbo like the Stones.

Oh the Stones will do more than this whenever the new album comes out, but that's still a very BIG IF - sadly it seems more and more doubtful as time marches on.
I would expect a new single or maybe an EP at most, and if so expect multi-formats, multi-colors, multi-mixes, mutated arrangements, etc., etc., etc,
While Ghost Town was great and showed promise for thing to possibly come, the dredging up of past leftovers and wasting time adding new bits seemed desperate - why not spend time on new material?
And while it was nice to get an updated version of Criss Cross and have it on an official release after all these years, Scarlet and Rage were nothing more than filler from the dumpster imo.
It's been 15 years since A Bigger Bang and there's only been a few new original tunes since then ...seems like they're going out with a whimper rather than any sort of bang...a bit sad when you think about it.

But again, hats off to Paul and all the rest who unlike the Stones are making brand new music well into their golden years while not living completely off their past glories.
With the positive reviews thus far, I sense another Grammy is in Paul's future, and whether or not the new album is really good, he deserves the accolades for at least trying.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: December 12, 2020 06:48

One of the things I think we can conclude from all this is that Mick wants to make a Stones album. Mick could have made an album during lockdown if he was content to give up the Stones' name, and have Keith calling it awful in the press.

I'm looking forward to McCartney III next Friday. I wasn't keen on his last one (Egypt Station) but that was the first one since...Off the Ground, maybe? Which I didn't care for. So odds are good I'll enjoy it.

Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: December 12, 2020 18:06

jbwelda
>05. Lavatory Lil - 2:23

This does not bode well if you ask me. A long ways from Polythene Pam. Perhaps I will be surprised.

jb

Sounds like something that could have been made on a certain holiday with KR a few years back.

And there are other interesting tracks on III. But on the other hand I am also one that find Egyptian to be a really great record.

Date: December 12, 2020 18:58

Hairball

Oh the Stones will do more than this whenever the new album comes out, but that's still a very BIG IF - sadly it seems more and more doubtful as time marches on.
I would expect a new single or maybe an EP at most, and if so expect multi-formats, multi-colors, multi-mixes, mutated arrangements, etc., etc., etc,
While Ghost Town was great and showed promise for thing to possibly come, the dredging up of past leftovers and wasting time adding new bits seemed desperate - why not spend time on new material?
And while it was nice to get an updated version of Criss Cross and have it on an official release after all these years, Scarlet and Rage were nothing more than filler from the dumpster imo.
It's been 15 years since A Bigger Bang and there's only been a few new original tunes since then ...seems like they're going out with a whimper rather than any sort of bang...a bit sad when you think about it.

But again, hats off to Paul and all the rest who unlike the Stones are making brand new music well into their golden years while not living completely off their past glories.
With the positive reviews thus far, I sense another Grammy is in Paul's future, and whether or not the new album is really good, he deserves the accolades for at least trying.

We're thinking alike on this. It seems to me that Keith doesn't want to just approve Jagger songs, overdub a bit, and release it as a Stones album again for what will likely be their last full studio album. But Mick can write rock songs alone. I think Keith can write a ballad with just himself and a guitar, but for anything midtempo or faster, he seems to need a drummer in the studio and lots of time for the song to come down the antenna. And apparently they can't write together anymore, not in the way they used to, at least. That's not necessarily anyone's fault, because people and circumstances naturally change.

I'm fairly confident that a new Rolling Stones album will come out in spring 2022 to piggyback on the inevitable 60th anniversary publicity. Possibly another single sometime in 2021, but I personally wouldn't count on it. I don't know any band since the Beatles in the '60's that's opened a brick and mortar store. In my opinion that's a concrete (no pun intended) sign that the Stones are going to be producing something of note in the not too distant future. You don't open a physical store for a virtually defunct band planning another Greatest Hits release, imho. I believe the store is the tip of the giant merchandising ship to come.

But that's if things go according to plan. Surely a tour and special anniversary events were a major part of that plan as well. Of course that's still in doubt. I wonder if something happens to one of them between now and then, will that whole plan go right out the window?

Anyway, I'm psyched for McCartney III. I hope they start shipping it early. Back in my record store days they arrived on Tuesday no matter what the release date was. I look forward to giving it a listen and hope it's as good as the early reviews seem to indicate.

Date: December 12, 2020 19:36

jahisnotdead
But that's if things go according to plan...

The plan ...haha...the plan was to complete an album several years ago, but then things were derailed by hitting a wall along with other assorted detours...all pre-pandemic!
That said, The Plan might make a good title for the supposed new album (a BIG IF), and if not an entire album, maybe a new song.
But I think there might be a new/young rapper who calls himself The Plan , so not sure if that's a good title after all.

Guess we should just be grateful that Paul and the others are still creating/releasing new music.
Whether it's great or not is beside the point - the fact is they're doing it!

Date: December 12, 2020 19:56

Wow, check this out. Interesting idea. They're already inviting fans to do covers of McCartney III songs from the sheet music.

https://umusic.digital/kfaheo/

http://12days.mccartneyiii.com/

That is crazy. Beck did a similar thing years back, issuing a new album as sheet music before the recording.

Do I have the guts to tackle it myself?!

Date: December 12, 2020 20:20

Open sourcing I suppose. Definitely a unique idea, gotta give him that.

jb

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: December 13, 2020 00:15

Overall I like the new album. The drums are rudimentary and vocals a bit warbly. There are a few acoustic songs, and a couple of piano based ones. Not a lot of rocking, but it's all Paul and worthy listening.

Date: December 13, 2020 21:30

4.5 out of 5 stars by the German Edition of the [www.RollingStone.de] :

"Paul McCartney called one of his retrospectives 'Pure McCartney'. But you really only get the pure McCartney when he feels unobserved, doesn't have to live up to the expectations we have of him as the most classic and romantic of all the Beatles - as a Beathoven, so to speak.

Like in the winter of 1969/70, when he barricaded himself at home with a four-track-recorder to distract himself from his post-Beatles depression, or in the summer of 1979, when he just wanted to try out a synthesiser alone on his farm and escape the rock band routine with the Wings. The resulting albums, 'McCartney' and 'McCartney II', were not much regarded by the critics at the time, but are now revered cultically: the first as a courageous home recording experiment, the second as cool proto-electronica.

The isolation in which 'McCartney III' was created was not a self-imposed one this time. Originally, McCartney only wanted to dust off the song 'When Winter Comes', which he had recorded with George Martin in the nineties, for the soundtrack of an animated film. But then going to his private studio every day seemed like a way for him to use the pandemic season productively. 'When Winter Comes' now closes the album. McCartney's voice is still in full bloom on this quarter-century-old track.

It has lost its fullness and warmth in the autumn of his life, but on the new songs of 'McCartney III' it holds up amazingly well because he uses the registers that are still available to him. He sings the soulful piano ballad 'Women And Wives' in a deep gospel tone, the irresistible soul-pop 'Deep Down' and the acoustic Beatles reminiscence 'The Kiss Of Venus' in falsetto.

It's the unstoppable play instinct that makes this album so appealing, evident in the arrangements of each track, but especially when McCartney experiments with forms. For example, in the epic attempt at contemporary R&B 'Deep Deep Feeling', which spirals from a minimalist foundation to psychedelic heights. Or in the irresistible art-pop 'Find My Way', which sounds as if Godley & Creme had hired the post-rockers The Sea And Cake as a backing band. Roll over, Beathoven!"

Date: December 13, 2020 23:42

Paul getting rave reviews and releasing new music, Springsteen playing LIVE on SNL with new music,
and Neil Young opening his archives for free for the rest of the year w/more new music more than likely coming soon....thumbs up

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: December 14, 2020 02:17

It should be noted that this thread began with 2013’s release of New. Macca has now made 3 full albums of new material in that time. Our lot have managed the sum total of 1 all new track, I.e. Ghost Town, some solo bits and pieces from individual members and a few polished up 47 year old Goat’s Head Soup outtakes. Even the Who have managed an album!

Don’t get me wrong, I love the live show and I saw 23 last decade but a few more new tunes would be nice thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home