Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 67
Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: September 20, 2018 19:39

Happy24
Yeap. What is really funny is, that on the Macca board quite often The Rolling Stones are mentioned as an example of a band which mixes it up every night..."he should look at The Stones how to do a setlist!" spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

It’s two slightly different approaches - Paul plays 36+ song sets, so even if he’s playing many warhorses, they’re balanced by a good number of lesser known tracks. On the other hand, the Stones rarely if ever play two back to back shows with identical setlists, even if they only vary by 3 songs. Paul generally plays the same set for a whole tour - in 2011, he introduced one slot which would alternate between two different tracks over the tour, but that’s as adventurous as he gets night-to-night.

The carping about his current set is due to the fact that it’s largely the same as ‘16-17, and great swathes of it are unchanged from ‘13 or even ‘09. I think fans thought that with the new album we’d get a brand new setlist (even accepting that there are 15 or so songs which aren’t going anywhere), but instead he just slotted in 4 new album tracks.

In ‘89, ‘93, ‘02, and ‘05 we got a new album and a new “show” from Paul, in ‘09, ‘10, ‘13, and ‘16 the show was more similar but there were still 5-10 revived older songs slotted in as well as a few from whichever new album was going. This year, we got... one “new” oldie? It’s unfortunate.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 20, 2018 20:23

Just posted this on a different forum yesterday:

A little history, far from complete, of what Paul has added each year in the last decade:

2009: I've Got A Feeling, Paperback Writer, A Day In The Life, Mrs. Vandebilt, Day Tripper, I'm Down, Magical Mystery Tour

2010: Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, 1989, All My Loving, Letting Go, Venus And Mars/Rock Show, And I Love Her, I'm Looking Through You, Two Of Us

2011: Junior's Farm, The Night Before, Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End, Hello Goodbye, I Will, The Word

2012: Didn't really add anything long term to note. Although he did pretty damn good the next year.

2013: Eight Days A Week, Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite, We Can Work It Out, Another Day, Lovely Rita, Hi Hi Hi, Altogether Now, Listen To What The Man Said, Your Mother Should Know

2014: Clearly used the previous year and rested on those

2015: Can't Buy Me Love, Temporary Secretary, One After 909

2016: A Hard Day's Night, Love Me Do, In Spite Of All The Danger, Birthday (seeming for the first time as a true regular), Letting Go (returning after not really being played since 2010), The Fool On The Hill, You Won't See Me

2017 & 2018: He's kind of been resting on all those since and not really added anything new of note. Really just From Me To You and Let Em In and the added horn section.

I can't really blame him either. He's done a pretty decent job over the years, far more than he would be expected to change. But if you're a huge fan it could always be a whole lot more. IMO, I prefer his sets to the Stones only cause I can see Paul multiple different years and a large part of the show could be different. Yes the Stones may change 2-3 songs each night, at most, but overall each show is very much the same. I guess its whether you'd rather see multiple shows a tour and get a couple different songs at each, or see one show per tour but you're getting about 5-10 different songs each time. I'll admit Paul has gotten kind of slow with it in past years based on that list but again, I do subscribe to the theory that he plays a long enough show that he doesn't really have to do it at all.

I've been pretty lucky with both Stones and McCartney. I've only seen them both twice but each time I got very different sets. With McCartney, I got 12 different songs the second show I saw. With the Stones, I got 11 different songs (12 if you count Rambler with Mick Taylor which I would). So I'm very happy with both of those. Having said that, with McCartney it constituted about 1/3 of the show being different, whereas its half of the show with the Stones.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: September 20, 2018 20:30

RollingFreak

A little history, far from complete, of what Paul has added each year in the last decade:

2017 & 2018: He's kind of been resting on all those since and not really added anything new of note. Really just From Me To You and Let Em In and the added horn section.

He added 3 brand new songs!

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: September 20, 2018 20:32

McCartney is fantastic with using his entire catalog. I cant think of a song I really want to hear that he hadnt played yet

Date: September 20, 2018 21:03

BowieStone
RollingFreak

Yes, that list is besides the obligatory new songs he adds to each tour when he has a new album.

DrPete
McCartney is fantastic with using his entire catalog. I cant think of a song I really want to hear that he hadnt played yet

Really? I think he does a fantastic job but I can certainly think of tons I'd love to hear. Admittedly I'll give you he's done really well with the Beatles stuff and has basically played almost every song he sings lead on at least once:

Oh Darling
Why Don't We Do It In The Road

Solo material there's a ton he never touches:

Smile Away
Uncle Admiral Halsey
Back Seat Of My Car
Eat At Home
The Mess
No Words
Helen Wheels
Call Me Back Again
Beware My Love

Again, all things considered its a relatively short list which is insanely impressive, but I could still think of things I'd LOVE to hear.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 21, 2018 00:17

Not sure I'm reading your post correctly RollingFreak, but he did play Why Don't We Do it in the Road at both Desert Trips with Neil Young.

Date: September 21, 2018 00:24

Hairball
Not sure I'm reading your post correctly RollingFreak, but he did play Why Don't We Do it in the Road at both Desert Trips with Neil Young.

You're absolutely right, and actually I remembered that. My bad. So yeah, the only Beatles Paul led song I can think that he's never revisited is Oh Darling, which is pretty damn good. Its actually incredible.

I forgot how @#$%& awesome that was when Paul and Neil did that song:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: September 21, 2018 01:30

I received my complimentary "Egypt Station" today and it is labelled "Limited Edition - Concertina CD" What is the deal before I peel off the wrapper?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 21, 2018 01:47

RollingFreak
Hairball

You're absolutely right, and actually I remembered that. My bad. So yeah, the only Beatles Paul led song I can think that he's never revisited is Oh Darling, which is pretty damn good. Its actually incredible.

I forgot how @#$%& awesome that was when Paul and Neil did that song:

[www.youtube.com]

That is really good :-). They’re havin a lot of fun, huh? Cool.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: September 21, 2018 03:19

roryg
What is the deal before I peel off the wrapper?

I wouldn't open it!

video: [youtu.be]

Date: September 21, 2018 18:40

Since I started thinking about it:

Quick little list of I believe all the songs Paul sang lead on in the Beatles and when they were last played. Sgt. Pepper's the regular version is the only song he's played that hasn't been touched since the early 90s (everything else has been played in the last 20 years) and only 13 songs he's NEVER done. Pretty impressive.

1. I Saw Her Standing There (regular)
2. Please Please Me (last played 2005)
3. Love Me Do (playing it currently)
4. PS I Love You (NEVER PLAYED)
5. A Taste Of Honey (NEVER PLAYED)

6. All My Loving (last played 2017)
7. Till There Was You (last played 2005)
8. Hold Me Tight (NEVER PLAYED)
9. And I Love Her (last played 2017)
10. Can’t Buy Me Love (playing it currently)
11. Things We Said Today (last played 2013)
12. I’ll Follow The Sun (last played 2008)
13. Kansas City (played a few times when in Kansas City, recently 2014)
14. Words Of Love (NEVER PLAYED)
15. Every Little Thing (NEVER PLAYED)
16. What You’re Doing (NEVER PLAYED)

17. The Night Before (last played 2012)
18. Another Girl (last played 2015)
19. Tell Me What You See (NEVER PLAYED)
20. I’ve Just Seen A Face (playing it currently)
21. Yesterday (regular)
22. Drive My Car (last played 2018)
23. You Won’t See Me (last played 2017)
24. Michelle (playing it currently)
25. I’m Looking Through You (last played 2015)
26. Eleanor Rigby (regular)
27. Here, There And Everywhere (last played 2016)
28. Good Day Sunshine (last played 2015)
29. For No One (last played 2005)
30. Got To Get You Into My Life (last played 2015)
31. Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (last played 1993)
32. Getting Better (last played 2003)
33. Fixing A Hole (last played 2005)
34. She’s Leaving Home (last played 2003)
35. When I’m Sixty Four (NEVER PLAYED)
36. Lovely Rita (last played 2015)
37. Magical Mystery Tour (last played 2015)
38. The Fool On The Hill (last played 2017)
39. Your Mother Should Know (last played 2013)
40. Hello, Goodbye (last played 2012)
41. Penny Lane (last played 2008)
42. Back In The USSR (regular)
43. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (playing it currently)
44. Martha My Dear (NEVER PLAYED)
45. Blackbird (regular)
46. Rocky Raccoon (NEVER PLAYED)
47. Why Don’t We Do It In The Road (last played 2016)
48. I Will (last played 2011)
49. Birthday (currently playing)
50. Mother Nature’s Son (last played 2003)
51. Helter Skelter (regular)
52. Honey Pie (NEVER PLAYED)
53. All Together Now (last played 2015)
54. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer (NEVER PLAYED)
55. Oh Darling (NEVER PLAYED)

56. You Never Give Me Your Money (last played 2003)
57. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window (last played 2005)
58. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End (regular)
59. Two Of Us (last played 2010)
60. Let It Be (regular)
61. I’ve Got A Feeling (playing it currently)
62. The Long And Winding Road (regular)
63. Get Back (regular)
64. Long Tall Sally (played a couple times, last 2014)
65. She's A Woman (last played 2004)
66. I'm Down (last played 2009)
67. Day Tripper (last played 2017)
68. We Can Work It Out (last played 2017)
69. Paperback Writer (last played 2015)
70. Lady Madonna (regular)
71. Hey Jude (regular)

Date: September 21, 2018 21:40

That's quite the list!

RollingFreak

I think he did this one as part of a medley with "Love Me Do" on the Flowers In The Dirt tour (might have been a one-off)...very different '80s-style arrangement, if I recall.

Date: September 21, 2018 22:27

Jah Paul
That's quite the list!

RollingFreak

I think he did this one as part of a medley with "Love Me Do" on the Flowers In The Dirt tour (might have been a one-off)...very different '80s-style arrangement, if I recall.

He did but its a little too different to truly qualify as playing that song. Especially now that he's doing the original Love Me Do, I'd basically pretend that PS Love Me Do never actually happened lol.

Date: September 21, 2018 22:36

RollingFreak
He did but its a little too different to truly qualify as playing that song. Especially now that he's doing the original Love Me Do, I'd basically pretend that PS Love Me Do never actually happened lol.

I agree...I just looked it up on YouTube to refresh my memory - now I know why I blocked it out years ago!

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 28, 2018 03:10

Just announced: Paul at Sumo Arena coming Nov 5.smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-31 16:11 by Toru A.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 28, 2018 03:57

Toru A
Just announced: Paul at Sumo Arena coming Nov 5.smiling smiley

This looks like the alternative to Altamont - instead of Hells Angels they had Sumo Wrestlers.

EDIT: Looks like Toru A removed previous pic above, so my comment no longer makes sense!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-31 18:33 by Hairball.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 8, 2018 01:37

Paul played at the Austin City Limits festival last Friday. His concert will be broadcasted on YouTube today, in about one hour from now:

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 8, 2018 04:48

Just finished watching the YouTube show. A nice show. Will have to say Paul's voice isn't what it used to be, but he puts on one helluva performance. It made me think how you don't need an over the top stage show to perform your music - just good songs performed well.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 8, 2018 23:37

The show's on Dime now and it's pretty impressive, nice camera work and excellent mix with headphones. Macca's in pretty good shape too!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: October 9, 2018 02:00

He played 'We Can Work it Out' (#68) in Edmonton 2 weeks ago. I was there.

[www.setlist.fm]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-09 02:03 by mosthigh.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 31, 2018 16:07

A Halloween night at Tokyo Dome.
The night we reconfirmed the power of Warhorse.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: November 1, 2018 12:45

RollingFreak
Jah Paul
That's quite the list!

RollingFreak

Brilliant list Rollingfreak, oh hey you've missed a song out.......? smiling smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 1, 2018 13:58

RollingFreak
BowieStone
RollingFreak

Yes, that list is besides the obligatory new songs he adds to each tour when he has a new album.

DrPete

Really? I think he does a fantastic job but I can certainly think of tons I'd love to hear. Admittedly I'll give you he's done really well with the Beatles stuff and has basically played almost every song he sings lead on at least once:

Oh Darling
Why Don't We Do It In The Road

Solo material there's a ton he never touches:

Smile Away
Uncle Admiral Halsey
Back Seat Of My Car
Eat At Home
The Mess
No Words
Helen Wheels
Call Me Back Again
Beware My Love

Again, all things considered its a relatively short list which is insanely impressive, but I could still think of things I'd LOVE to hear.

I'd love to hear Don't Let It Bring You Down and Morse Moose & The Grey Goose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-01 14:00 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 30, 2018 12:50

Great show in Paris on Wednesday : [www.youtube.com] (also on Dime)

A star in the sky !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: December 15, 2018 15:38

Paul McCartney was absolutely blistering in Glasgow last night. One of the best performances I've ever saw from anyone and I wouldn't even describe myself as a huge fan. Really just went to strike him from my bucket-list but so, so glad I got a ticket.smiling smiley

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: December 16, 2018 02:29

Cant wait to see him

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 16, 2018 02:48

Just wanna see his face ……….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: December 16, 2018 04:12

ROLLINGSTONE
Paul McCartney was absolutely blistering in Glasgow last night. One of the best performances I've ever saw from anyone and I wouldn't even describe myself as a huge fan. Really just went to strike him from my bucket-list but so, so glad I got a ticket.smiling smiley

thumbs upI was there. Blistering. Exactly.
Supposing from your comment, Friday was seemingly your first Macca show. This is my eighth since 2002, and to be fair, his voice has been deteriorating over the last 9-10 years. However, it didn’t bother me — and most of the people who were present there for that matter I assume — so much when he and the band gave us such a long (2hrs and 55 mins from start to finish!), energetic, dedicated yet throughly entertaining show. You had to be there. It was simply “saiko!”, to quote Macca’s lecture on the night that the word means “fantastic!” in Japanesesmileys with beer

thumbs downOn the other hand, unfortunately for me, the night will be mostly remembered not because of Macca’s brilliant performance but because of the young guy sitting next to me with his girlfriend. Before the show, we had some nice chat, him looking quite intelligent with glasses and beard, his manner, the way he talked to me etc. A tentative friendship seemed to be established between us, which made me feel good. The situation, however, drastically changed once the show started. In short, he went completely bonkers. Standing, dancing, singing, shouting, flinging his arms around, all sorts of things that could be troublesome in the area, the front section of the lower tier, where most of the people preferred sitting and relaxing, and he enforced other people around, including those in the row behind him, to follow what he was doing! So much so that even his girlfriend looked embarrassed of him sometimes. Of course, he went back and forth between his seat and the bar or the loo throughout the show. He very often took my hand and pulled upward for me to stand up, which I ended up obliged rather reluctantly. During the climactic part of the show and the encores, he from time to time turned around to me and sang aloud to my right ear, which is still ringing. Why didn’t I protest him? Don’t ask me...

To be honest I just didn’t want to bring in a possible tension that might arise as a result. Well, I just gave up.

While he was thoroughly enjoying himself, this man in large part ruined the evening for me, which would have been absolutely fantastic if it were not for his inconsiderate (n.b. understatement here) behavior. Don’t judge a book by its cover as they say...

Sorry for my rant here — I just feel a need to be listened to, you knowmoody smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-16 10:18 by RisingStone.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 16, 2018 08:32

I saw him twice the lest week in Vienna - both times from the first row. Totally awsome. Those were my Macca concerts n. 7 and 8 since 2004 and eventhough it is true, that his voice is not the same as in 2004, he can work with it very well within its limitations and he puts on an amazing show.

I also got another experience, which was not nice - I bought those first row tickets the night before the first concert (yes, those bastards were releasing quite a lot of good tickets on the last day while pretending the gigs to be sold out for almost 4 months, releasing bad tickets every now and then, making people to buy them).

Of course I had other ticktes already. First thing I tried, I went to the wien-ticket.at HQ, explaining my situation, trying to get the tickets back on sale. Impossible. So I had to stand in front of the arena, trying to sell them. I have never done it before and I hope I will never have to again. There was a gang of scalpers (professionals probably) who made it almost impossible for us to being even approached by people who would have been willing to buy. Really ugly characrers. In the end I sold our tickets for 2/3 of the original price, which I was happy with, but on both nights it was after a long time when things looked quite hopeless. Looking back I think we were lucky not only that we sold the tickets, but also that we were not robbed or beaten up. Getting among those professional scalpers was really not nice. And I got into this situation because the official sellers behave like f...ng scalpers in the first place...

Anyway, I saw both shows from the first row, the second show togehter with my wife and it was absolutely fantastic. Totally worth it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-16 08:34 by Happy24.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 16, 2018 10:55

Happy24, I was there on the second night. Great concert and city. Sorry to hear about your ticket experience, but I'm afraid that's common practice now. I didn't know the scalpers have turned that scary.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1548
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home