Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 67
Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 16, 2018 17:17

Silver Dagger
My first reaction to Egypt Station was not very good with the exception of a few outstanding songs on side (second half of the album). I've persevered and after the 4th listen I reckon it's his best album since Tug Of War in 82. The singles are, weirdly, the weakest songs on it. But for a 76 year-old man to be making music like this is remarkable.

I think both "Come On To Me" and "I Don't Know" are excellent. For what I've heard so far, the rest of the record sounds like a mixed bag (I fail to understand why songs like "Fuh You" or "Who Cares" made it to the album).The production is ok, even if sometimes the drums sound compressed. But hey, if Macca likes it that way, I won't argue for sure!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 16, 2018 19:11

Every picture tells a story...and in this case several stories...the Whiskey a Go Go on Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA, 1970.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 16, 2018 19:35

Yeah, very cool to post the 1970 Billboard picture. Politics, will always keep us divided. Anyhow, after a few more listens the album is starting to grow on me. But I really don't like Fuh You and Come On To Me. Seems these 2 are trying too hard to attract young people... that maybe don't care about Paul McCartney.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 16, 2018 19:44

Listening to the end of the album now, maybe it's trying to be RAM, McCartney or McCartney II in some ways?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 17, 2018 12:29

Silver Dagger
My first reaction to Egypt Station was not very good with the exception of a few outstanding songs on side (second half of the album). I've persevered and after the 4th listen I reckon it's his best album since Tug Of War in 82.
Lol conveniently his last #1 album. What are the chances those would be his best two albums 36 years.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 17, 2018 12:39

A new video was posted today. Being a Brazilian guy myself, I'm grateful to see my country being cited by one of my favorite artists. smiling smiley

Paul McCartney - Back in Brazil

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 17, 2018 15:15

Like Paul is repeating "Ichiban" in "Back In Brazil", he has topped the hit charts.
Ichiban means Number One in Japanese.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: September 17, 2018 19:51

Hairball
Every picture tells a story...and in this case several stories...the Whiskey a Go Go on Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA, 1970.

Wow, does that photo bring back memories! It was a fantastic venue, small and intimate, sweaty and smoky. I got to see quite a few acts there in the late '60's.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 17, 2018 20:09

Damn, its so @#$%& corporate now. Thats an awesome image. What a time. I know that eventually we all have to move on in life but seeing a picture like that as compared to today makes me question if we've gone too far. Seems like a simpler time.

Date: September 17, 2018 20:22

DaveG
Hairball

Wow, does that photo bring back memories! It was a fantastic venue, small and intimate, sweaty and smoky. I got to see quite a few acts there in the late '60's.

It's still alive and well at the same location, and the same building!
Not sure if Big Al's All Nude club is still there though?!

Official site: Whiskey a Go Go

"The World Famous Whisky a Go Go – As long as there has been a Los Angeles rock scene, there has been the Whisky A Go-Go.
An anchor on the Sunset Strip since it’s opening in 1964, the Whisky A Go-Go has played host to rock ‘n’ roll’s most important bands,
from the Doors, Janis Joplin, and Led Zeppelin to today’s up and coming new artists".

And via wiki, the history: Whiskey a Go Go

"...because of its status as a historic music landmark, the venue was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2006....On September 12, 2016, the Whisky a Go Go
launched an official TV channel on the Roku Connected TV platform. The Whisky a Go Go channel opens the Whisky's doors to a global audience with live music videos,
full concerts and related content spanning its 52-year history"

(pic from 2014)

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: September 17, 2018 21:12

keefriff99
The voice is an EXTREMELY delicate instrument. Even the most accomplished, well-trained singers are capable of losing their voice from time to time due to overuse, colds, etc.

Additionally, vocal cords lose elasticity with age, which deepens the voice and makes it more difficult to hit high notes or sing in the key that the songs were originally recorded in when younger. As I said, I'm a huge hard rock/metal fan, and there are SO many singers from those genres in their 50s and 60s out there that struggle to hit the notes in their songs now. A lot of bands are down-tuning to accommodate their singers' reduced ranges.

To say that McCartney isn't really a singer simply because he's having common age-related issues with his voice at the age of 76 is quite the hot take.

Very true, but I don't think Paul is capable of learning how to do down-tuned versions of the songs. I think Paul can only sing the way he has all his career, because that's just how it is. Not everyone can be blessed with a range like Roy Orbison, or even how to move to down-tuning like Journey has done with Arnel Pineda. Paul only has one type of voice, and it has wear and tear. And that's fine. Paul at 50 percent is better than no Paul at all.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 18, 2018 01:38

Herald Sun -- 18 September 2018

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 18, 2018 15:40

Hairball

Love that 31.9 cents a gallon for gas!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 18, 2018 16:06

Toxic34
keefriff99
The voice is an EXTREMELY delicate instrument. Even the most accomplished, well-trained singers are capable of losing their voice from time to time due to overuse, colds, etc.

Additionally, vocal cords lose elasticity with age, which deepens the voice and makes it more difficult to hit high notes or sing in the key that the songs were originally recorded in when younger. As I said, I'm a huge hard rock/metal fan, and there are SO many singers from those genres in their 50s and 60s out there that struggle to hit the notes in their songs now. A lot of bands are down-tuning to accommodate their singers' reduced ranges.

To say that McCartney isn't really a singer simply because he's having common age-related issues with his voice at the age of 76 is quite the hot take.

Very true, but I don't think Paul is capable of learning how to do down-tuned versions of the songs. I think Paul can only sing the way he has all his career, because that's just how it is. Not everyone can be blessed with a range like Roy Orbison, or even how to move to down-tuning like Journey has done with Arnel Pineda. Paul only has one type of voice, and it has wear and tear. And that's fine. Paul at 50 percent is better than no Paul at all.
Oh I know...I wasn't suggesting Paul down-tune his songs. I'm just saying that's an option a lot of bands have been taking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-18 16:06 by keefriff99.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: September 18, 2018 18:40

On a few moments when I listened to his record, I thought that a young Johnny Cash was singing.
Was furtive, but there was a vibration I'm not used to in his voice

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: September 18, 2018 18:56

Love those pics of the Whiskey from 1970 and today!
I also do like the new video "Back in Brazil".

OT: Paul McCartney
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 18, 2018 19:46

Tour opener last night in Quebec. Photo by Simon Clark of Le Journal de Québec

Setlist:

A Hard Day's Night
Hi, Hi, Hi
Can't Buy Me Love
Letting Go
Who Cares
Come On To Me
Let Me Roll It
I've Got A Feeling
Let 'Em In
Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five
Maybe I'm Amazed
I've Just Seen A Face
In Spite of All The Danger
From Me To You
My Valentine
Michelle
Love Me Do
Blackbird
Here Today
Queenie Eye
Lady Madonna
FourFiveSeconds
Eleanor Rigby
Fuh You
Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!
Something
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Band On The Run
Back In The U.S.S.R.
Let It Be
Live And Let Die
Hey Jude

Encore

Yesterday
I Saw Her Standing There
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
Helter Skelter
Golden Slumbers
Carry That Weight
The End

[www.setlist.fm]

Date: September 18, 2018 19:55

Astonishing - still cranking out the MASSIVE setlists truly giving the fans their money's worth...39 SONGS!!!
Can't imagine any setlist whiners on a Paul/Beatles forum, except for maybe some saying the show is just too darn long haha.
I'd be satisfied just hearing the encores.thumbs up

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 18, 2018 22:51

Hairball
Astonishing - still cranking out the MASSIVE setlists truly giving the fans their money's worth...39 SONGS!!!
Can't imagine any setlist whiners on a Paul/Beatles forum, except for maybe some saying the show is just too darn long haha.

Despite the fading voice, I still love his live shows and the happy atmosphere at his shows. Can’t wait to see him in Poland in December. I’m pleased to note that he’s kept Queenie Eye from the last album in his set. Nice piano tune and Always gets a great response from the fans.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 19, 2018 00:08

Wow I'm glad I got a seat on the floor for the Paris show, it sounds like an exhausting experience ;-) Go MACCA Go !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 19, 2018 02:04

ICHIBAN !
video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 19, 2018 07:33

Hairball

You have never been to any Macca forum, right? The setlist moaning is EXACTLY the same as here! Just check it: [maccaboard.paulmccartney.com]

Date: September 19, 2018 08:13

Happy24
Hairball

You have never been to any Macca forum, right? The setlist moaning is EXACTLY the same as here! Just check it: [maccaboard.paulmccartney.com]

No, I don't have time for a Macca forum, but I suppose every forum has it's diehards analyzing, debating and critiquing minutiae.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 19, 2018 08:18

Hairball
Happy24
Hairball

No, I don't have time for a Macca forum, but I suppose every forum has it's diehards analyzing, debating and critiquing minutiae.

Yeap. What is really funny is, that on the Macca board quite often The Rolling Stones are mentioned as an example of a band which mixes it up every night..."he should look at The Stones how to do a setlist!" spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: September 19, 2018 08:51

This looked familiar:

"Its Paul's own fault that he has become a tribute band.  In 89 and 93 he played a good amount of new stuff from his current albums, and the obligatory Beatles stuff"

smoking smiley

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: September 19, 2018 22:05

Hairball

To be fair, Paul's songs typically average about 3 minutes, with a few that stretch out to 4...
AND, he's the only old guy in the band, the rest are a bunch of young 50 year-olds. This also explains why they're able to pull off back to back nights when playing shows in the same town (hats off to Paul, that's quite a feat at his age).

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 19, 2018 22:21

DandelionPowderman
This looked familiar:

"Its Paul's own fault that he has become a tribute band.  In 89 and 93 he played a good amount of new stuff from his current albums, and the obligatory Beatles stuff"

smoking smiley

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: September 19, 2018 23:09

Does he use a teleprompter? It would be hard to remember all the lyrics to almost 40 songs, even if they are short and the set list doesn't change that much.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 20, 2018 03:04

marianna
Does he use a teleprompter? It would be hard to remember all the lyrics to almost 40 songs, even if they are short and the set list doesn't change that much.

How many minutes of stories in between?

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: September 20, 2018 04:04

FrogSugar
Hairball

To be fair, Paul's songs typically average about 3 minutes, with a few that stretch out to 4...
AND, he's the only old guy in the band, the rest are a bunch of young 50 year-olds. This also explains why they're able to pull off back to back nights when playing shows in the same town (hats off to Paul, that's quite a feat at his age).

Abe the drummer is the only one close to 50 (he's 47)...guitarist Rusty Anderson is 59...guitarist Brian Ray is 63...and keyboardist Paul "Wix" Wickens is 62.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1775
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home