Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 67
Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 19, 2018 01:39

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

"Initial sessions for "Helter Skelter" were so intense that they ultimately included the longest song the Beatles ever recorded:
a 27-minute version of the track that later appeared on their self-titled double album in abbreviated form.

The same sessions, held on July 18, 1968, also produced takes that were more than 10 and 12 minutes long.
These lengthy jams ended up creating no small amount of technical issues with the equipment of the day,
but this too proved to be inspirational as the song's writer, Paul McCartney, moved toward a final idea of what "Helter Skelter" would be..."

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: July 19, 2018 01:47

hopkins

"Initial sessions for "Helter Skelter" were so intense that they ultimately included the longest song the Beatles ever recorded:
a 27-minute version of the track that later appeared on their self-titled double album in abbreviated form.

The same sessions, held on July 18, 1968, also produced takes that were more than 10 and 12 minutes long.
These lengthy jams ended up creating no small amount of technical issues with the equipment of the day,
but this too proved to be inspirational as the song's writer, Paul McCartney, moved toward a final idea of what "Helter Skelter" would be..."

Wow, I have numerous bootlegs of Beatles recording sessions, but have never heard of this. The few jams I have heard of The Beatles are not particularly inspiring, but interesting, nonetheless.

I like the 'tea room music' they play just before a live version of 'Hey Jude' on The David Frost Show, 1968.

Looking forwards to Paul in Edmonton in September. Let's hope he 'freshens up' his setlist more than a little.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 19, 2018 02:36

hopkins

That's why Macca at the end shouts, "I've got blisters on my fingers!"
:
The song started out with Paul recording takes on just an acoustic guitar: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 19, 2018 02:38

mosthigh
I like the 'tea room music' they play just before a live version of 'Hey Jude' on The David Frost Show, 1968.

They did have their guitars on for the 'tea room music', but on the performance of Hey Jude only Paul's mic was live; the backing track comes from the studio version.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 19, 2018 07:29

Ringo yells about his blisters.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 19, 2018 13:25

I got GA Early entry in the Live nation Presale for Krakow this morning. Very easy after the UK fiasco. Tickets relatively cheap too and I'm told the Tauron Arena is an excellent venue. GA early entry is 591PLN + postage. Normal GA is 391PLN. For me that extra 200PLN is worth it because Krakow will be freezing at that time of year!

OT: Paul McCartney
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 20, 2018 17:12

Paul McCartney - Come On To Me (Lyric Video)

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 20, 2018 17:14

Paul McCartney Sets Surprise Show in London, More to Come In Anticipation of New Album

by Roger Friedman - July 19, 2018

Back in 1971, Paul McCartney loaded wife Linda and their new band Wings into a van and drove around the UK surprising small clubs with shows. Ever since then, a hallmark of a McCartney album pre-release has been small shows in surprise locations. I went to one in the summer of 1989 that I’ll never forget at the Lyceum Theater here in New York.

With a new album, “Egypt Station,” coming on September 7th, it looks like Paul is up to his old tricks. (And we’re happy about that.) In London, he has invited fans to make videos in a contest for a private show. Videos are proliferating on Twitter and other social media.

Next up: maybe a show in NYC, Los Angeles, and who knows where else? Are we ready? Considering the landscape of the world right now, Paul– we need you! *PS “Egypt Station” is number 40 on the Amazon album charts, from pre-orders. Ram on!

[www.showbiz411.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 20, 2018 19:20

That's great! thumbs up

Reminds me in between Desert Trip weekends, he did a surprise performance at Pappy & Harriet's - a very tiny club (capacity 300) practically in the middle of nowhere .

Story from the L.A. Times:

"This can't be real..."

And the final song of the set:

Saw Her Standing There-Paul McCartney's secret concert at Pappy & Harriet's

Meanwhile, I was seeing Neil Young at the small Pomona Theater in between DT weekends, and wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else.
Unless maybe the Stones did a surprise show somewhere which unfortunately they didn't unless you count the two private billionaire shows before and after Desert Trip where they were paid millions.

Re: OT: Paul McCartney
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 20, 2018 19:30

bye bye johnny

[www.youtube.com]

RIGHT ON PAUL! thumbs up

Date: July 20, 2018 19:49

35love
bye bye johnny

[www.youtube.com]

RIGHT ON PAUL! thumbs up

Catchy tune per usual McCartney
Hope I don’t suddenly belt out
‘If you come on to me, I will come on to you’
in the Target store.

Date: July 21, 2018 16:22

Join Paul for a Facebook Live Q & A Wednesday 25th July - 2:00PM BST at @LIPALiverpool. Fans from around the world can submit questions in advance and a select few will be chosen to be answered as part of the event. Post your question on Facebook HERE: [www.facebook.com] …

[twitter.com]

Date: July 23, 2018 00:28

bye bye johnny
Paul McCartney Sets Surprise Show in London, More to Come In Anticipation of New Album

Back in 1971, Paul McCartney loaded wife Linda and their new band Wings into a van and drove around the UK surprising small clubs with shows. Ever since then, a hallmark of a McCartney album pre-release has been small shows in surprise locations. I went to one in the summer of 1989 that I’ll never forget at the Lyceum Theater here in New York.

With a new album, “Egypt Station,” coming on September 7th, it looks like Paul is up to his old tricks. (And we’re happy about that.) In London, he has invited fans to make videos in a contest for a private show. Videos are proliferating on Twitter and other social media.

Next up: maybe a show in NYC, Los Angeles, and who knows where else? Are we ready? Considering the landscape of the world right now, Paul– we need you! *PS “Egypt Station” is number 40 on the Amazon album charts, from pre-orders. Ram on!

[www.showbiz411.com]

He’s not making much of a secret of it. This will cause traffic chaos and road closures and looks like a publicity stunt to push his new album. I can’t imagine the Police are too pleased about this!

[blog.beatlesinlondon.com]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 23, 2018 00:45

grzegorz67
He’s not making much of a secret of it. This will cause traffic chaos and road closures and looks like a publicity stunt to push his new album. I can’t imagine the Police are too pleased about this!

Meh.
The venue hasn't leaked as far as I know.. even if/when it does, can't see this causing the mayhem you describe. Likely all planned, coordinated and paid for with the local authorities.. Doubt they mind the work. As for looking like a "publicity stunt to push his new album", that's the stated purpose.

Date: July 23, 2018 00:52

grzegorz67
bye bye johnny

[www.showbiz411.com]

Probably nine out of ten members of the police are fans, and some will be putting in requests to work in the area during the gig with the hope of seeing it themselves.
And to the few who don't care either way about Paul, it's just another day in busy old London town. Whatever the case, looks to be an exciting event and another one for the history books that will be remembered for ages.
'

Date: July 23, 2018 00:56

MisterDDDD
grzegorz67

Meh.
The venue hasn't leaked as far as I know.. even if/when it does, can't see this causing the mayhem you describe. Likely all planned, coordinated and paid for with the local authorities.. Doubt they mind the work. As for looking like a "publicity stunt to push his new album", that's the stated purpose.

Hopefully so and the authorities are all in on it as you suggest and it’s fine. Probsbly naive of me to think otherwise. A few years ago he played a few songs of his last album in Covent Garden when it was newly released and this looks to be a similar event for his latest album. Good on him for doing this.

I believe the Stones wanted to play a couple of songs live in the street outside Exhibitionism in Sloan Square to launch it but there were too many local objections - spoilsports!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-23 00:59 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 23, 2018 01:14

bye bye johnny
Damn, think of all the hours of his life he's spent just like this. Would love to see a timelapse of him aging in the studio.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 23, 2018 02:27

stonehearted
mosthigh

They did have their guitars on for the 'tea room music', but on the performance of Hey Jude only Paul's mic was live; the backing track comes from the studio version.

It's actually a tune written by George Martin called "By George! It's The David Frost Theme."

Date: July 23, 2018 19:19

McCartney mania today at Abbey Road:

video> Paul McCartney at Abbey Road

Date: July 23, 2018 19:41

Lucky fans today for his surprise gig at Abbey Road.
As much as I enjoyed my UK mini-stones tour extravaganza cool smiley I gotta say that visiting Beatles iconic locations like this and various spots in Liverpool, were major highlights of the trip for me.
Good on Paul for hosting this gig at the iconic locale.

"Today, to promote the impending release of Egypt Station, McCartney is playing a surprise gig at the venue (now known as Abbey Road Studios), and while on his way to the show he got a chance to relive that iconic crossing.

McCartney’s eldest daughter, Mary, captured a video of the moment and posted it to Instagram. Seems like her dad opted for sandals this time around."
[consequenceofsound.net]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 24, 2018 00:46

Snippet of Drive my Car: [www.instagram.com]

[www.instagram.com]

Date: July 24, 2018 01:08

Hairball
McCartney mania today at Abbey Road:

video> Paul McCartney at Abbey Road

*The long and winding road
That leads to your door
Will never disappear
I've seen that road before
It always leads me here
Lead me to you door

(ugh sentimental today but still... iconic ^ ETA: See ‘iconic’ was already used
you say he hasn’t been back?
Seeing him see his house on ‘Carpool K’ for the first time back (tho I noticed set up with framed photos of his parents, wonder if Linda took them)
Paul’s maybe like me, once yer gone, yer gone, except maybe decades later?

*oh and now I see closer look picture the blockade holding back the autograph hounds. Probably he’s crossed incognito before, I don’t know. Good on ya Paul.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-24 01:11 by 35love.

Date: July 24, 2018 01:16

Helter Skelter: [www.instagram.com]

Date: July 24, 2018 01:17

Oh yeah yeah yeah
it was a proper pre paid media event
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Date: July 24, 2018 01:21

The setlist:

[www.instagram.com]

Date: July 24, 2018 04:04

Nice to see "I wanna be your Man" in the setlist.

Loved it when the Stones played it in Brooklyn (and elsewhere) during the anniversary tour. Also loved it when Paul played it at Desert Trip -stating that it was in response to the Stones playing one of the Beatles the night before. (even though I think he really should have played a Jagger/Richards number cool smiley

[www.youtube.com]- Stones
[www.youtube.com]- Macca

Date: July 24, 2018 04:13

MisterDDDD

Yes! It was great to see him play it on the concert I attended last year in my hometown. smiling bouncing smiley

Date: July 24, 2018 04:21

Good old Paul...a lengthy 22 song set for a small show like this, and that's short in comparison to his regular shows sometimes hitting the 40 song mark.

Date: July 24, 2018 04:24

Cristiano Radtke
MisterDDDD

Yes! It was great to see him play it on the concert I attended last year in my hometown. smiling bouncing smiley
He sounds a bit better here, but it also makes his "reciprocal" gesture at DT a little less sincere.. Listening to the two latter day versions it's clear (to me anyway) that the Stones version is far superior smiling smiley

Date: July 24, 2018 04:50

MisterDDDD
Cristiano Radtke
MisterDDDD

He sounds a bit better here, but it also makes his "reciprocal" gesture at DT a little less sincere.. Listening to the two latter day versions it's clear (to me anyway) that the Stones version is far superior smiling smiley

And it is, for sure. smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2291
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home