Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 67
Re: OT - Paul McCartney plays a 40 song setlist in NYC at MSG!
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 20, 2017 15:51

Yeah his pristine powerful perfect and pure vocal instrument has very much been changed with age; yet, it's endearing; he's courageous; he goes there anyway; it sounds different; it can even sqeak here and there for a sec on high notes; ther'e somehow a wistfulness and determination if not 'raging against the dying light' as did Sinatra; just stand there and take it; aim for that one powerful all or nothing note; try to clip it before it falls or fails but take one second along the way to let them know you were the king of all of it ; and you walked around this world for decades and nobody credible could say it was not so....

...because you had that balls thing; and you are gonna show them right now again just what the fk that is....

so; paul; i dunno; so many years avoiding him; haha hated him as only John and George could have for all that batting of the eyes at the TV camera; but hey....Paul is a giant; and he goes out every night when he ends that show and his shithot session cat band; same guys for twice as long as the beats were together almost lol; certainly subserviant but also really really good; great and a real kinda band of sorts after all these many years; each one of them can, and does, rip; the drummer amazing; all of em really....i mean i'm not going don't get me wrong; i don't do stadiums and i don't do nostalgia but i lovce the little clips; and that he's sitll around; and he's actually very moving involving and engaging; he gives it up; he puts his whole heart out there and those fans fkn know it; he's walking the line man, you gotta admit it; just about the last one standing in many res;ects; certainly on that level; and whoa; good for Pau; he matured in good ways too; he resolved his bitterness and gives lovely musical tributes to his band mates departed; he's cried on stage and it wasn't an act....he comes out after final encors just to be with him; keep it light; tell em; 'tell you what....see you NEXT time....and the crowd gets it on more than one level; everybody knows he's out there at an incredibl advanced age for this material....
helter skelter....hell just to GO for it; don't even matter if he hit it; wow...

i think in 2013 on Fallon he did 8 days a week; and had drummer ABe, ghost the lead voke; kinda like a live 'double track' for a little support; i don't know if they doubled the originbal but paul does not sing like the original anymore. except for bits and pieces, which are valuable and lovely; he works hard around what he clearly must know are diminishing capabalities for that kind of vocal load; yet there he is, pushing it very hard.
He's funny and easy and natural with the fans; he reads their signs back and cracks jokes; 'sign my butt' 'whoa my wife is not....well let's see it!!" i mean what more do you want; ye loved em lets em love him; his band plays great tho one of em a little bit too much the cloying syncophant in certaqin tiny ways but hey, they gotta job and they gotta boss; or they wudda broked up by now haha...

thanks for this thread; not really following that guy since the first two or so excellent solo albums frankly goin way back to newly post Beatles. Adored several Wings tracks but mostly not....his solo career after that a haze; i haven't been a good fan and i know ther'e some good stuf fout there; this guy is like what can you say; i mean ringo is touring but ringo is not the songwriter of all time contender nor vocalist front person of same.

wo wow. good for Paul;

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 16:14 by hopkins.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 20, 2017 16:17

DandelionPowderman

When I played in the US for he first time, in NYC, we played the very same club where Bruce made his NYC-debut. The poster was still on the wall: Bruce Springstein smiling smiley

I think it's still there. Kenny's Castaways on Bleecker Street.

Bruce played at their first location before they moved to Bleeker. I played there (Bleeker St.) a few times as well. Unfortunately they closed in 2012.

Date: September 20, 2017 16:29

bleedingman
DandelionPowderman

When I played in the US for he first time, in NYC, we played the very same club where Bruce made his NYC-debut. The poster was still on the wall: Bruce Springstein smiling smiley

I think it's still there. Kenny's Castaways on Bleecker Street.

Bruce played at their first location before they moved to Bleeker. I played there (Bleeker St.) a few times as well. Unfortunately they closed in 2012.

Ah! ok, thanks thumbs up

Too bad it's closed. I liked the place.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: September 20, 2017 16:37

He'll cut it down to 39 songs in no time.......slacker smiling smiley

sc uk

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: September 20, 2017 19:12

Hairball
If you haven't seen him live since 2005, not sure how you can fully form an opinion on his shows of today, but your opinion is respected nevertheless.

Videos (official and otherwise)...audio...first-hand accounts from friends and relatives who've attended the shows...etc. It's not difficult to form an opinion in this modern age where most everything is filmed and recorded.

His voice has certainly weakened in recent years (more noticeable on certain songs than others), but he can still play and is able to bring it every night. My biggest regret in not seeing him for over a decade is the new setlist entries from tour to tour...from the most recent setlist alone, there are a dozen songs I've never heard him play live before - and that's not including countless others from previous tours since 2005.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 20, 2017 19:37

Jah Paul
Hairball
If you haven't seen him live since 2005, not sure how you can fully form an opinion on his shows of today, but your opinion is respected nevertheless.

Videos (official and otherwise)...audio...first-hand accounts from friends and relatives who've attended the shows...etc. It's not difficult to form an opinion in this modern age where most everything is filmed and recorded.

His voice has certainly weakened in recent years (more noticeable on certain songs than others), but he can still play and is able to bring it every night. My biggest regret in not seeing him for over a decade is the new setlist entries from tour to tour...from the most recent setlist alone, there are a dozen songs I've never heard him play live before - and that's not including countless others from previous tours since 2005.

Indeed this is true, thought you were making a statement based solely on the last time you saw back him in 2005 and before, but should have realized that.
I will say (and I think I did already) that the Desert Trip 1 show as well as the Dodger stadium show were both great, and even though they seemed nearly identical, they were far better than the show I saw in Vegas about 10 years ago which was lackluster - he might have been sick! As for Desert Trip II, having left early no opinion really other than knowing it was nearly identical as the previous - never looked at any videos after the fact.

Also, just realized the Dodger stadium show I was at was in August, 2014 - only two years before Desert Trip, so the fact that it was close to identical shouldn't be surprising.

Question to anyone: at the full two shows I last saw him, I recall him telling a story about Jimi Hendrix, and not sure of what song he played or was about to play...looking at the setlist now still can't figure it out. Does anyone know what I'm referring to, and wondering if he still tells the same story during the current shows?

Date: September 20, 2017 20:06

Hairball
Question to anyone: at the full two shows I last saw him, I recall him telling a story about Jimi Hendrix, and not sure of what song he played or was about to play...looking at the setlist now still can't figure it out. Does anyone know what I'm referring to, and wondering if he still tells the same story during the current shows?

They do an instrumental jam of "Foxy Lady" at the end of "Let Me Roll It."

Date: September 20, 2017 20:15

Ahhh ok that was it, thanks Jah Paul.

I think he also told a story about Helter Skelter - saying they needed to come up with something hard and heavy after hearing the likes of the Who, Cream, etc.
And then the story of writing Blackbird...about civil rights which was interesting to learn. Probably some other stories that will come back to me, as someone said he tells a lot of stories!

Date: September 20, 2017 20:16

Jah Paul
Hairball

Yes, he tells the story of how the whammy bar used to make guitars go out of tune and Hendrix was trying to tune it and asked Eric Clapton to come up and tune it for him and Eric hid his head in his hands as if he was embarrassed to go on stage with Hendrix. According to Robbie Robertson's book, Hendrix once showed him how to string his Strat so that it stayed in tune with the whammy so not sure if Sir Paul is pulling our leg with that story.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 20, 2017 22:41

Paul has played Vancouver 3 times in the past several years and all three times he's played Mull of Kintyre with a local police pipe band coming out on stage. I believe he plays this at most if not all concerts in Canada but not very often in the States?

Posted by: Bobbyb98 ()
Date: September 21, 2017 00:21

I was at the show last Friday at MSG when he brought out Bruce... There are no words to describe just how incredible Paul was. We are truly lucky to still have him around and at such a high-level of performance.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 21, 2017 01:15

Jah Paul
Hairball

It's listed in the original setlist I posted at the beginning of the thread. When I saw him in Buffalo in October 2015, if I recall correctly, he told the story about how Hendrix played Sgt. Pepper at his show in London only two days after it was released on album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-21 01:17 by The Sicilian.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 21, 2017 01:18

Bands keep trying to outdo each other, but the fact remains, 90 to 120 mins is the max most people really care to spend watching a band perform.

Date: September 21, 2017 01:26

The Sicilian
Jah Paul
Hairball

It's listed in the original setlist I posted at the beginning of the thread. When I saw him in Buffalo in October 2015, if I recall correctly, he told the story about how Hendrix played Sgt. Pepper at his show in London only two days after it was released on album.

Yeah, that's the story I heard at Dodger stadium and later at Desert Trip...interesting to hear the first time, but kind of lost some it's charm and appeal hearing it again verbatim.

Date: September 21, 2017 01:37

Hairball
The Sicilian
Jah Paul
Hairball

Yeah, that's the story I heard at Dodger stadium and later at Desert Trip...interesting to hear the first time, but kind of lost some it's charm and appeal hearing it again verbatim.

I first saw him back in April 1993 in New Orleans at the Superdome. Linda was playing keyboards back then. I don't recall much about any banter between songs but loved the show.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 21, 2017 01:42

Yes, would love to see McCartney (especially with big setlist). As long as he's still got some voice left.

Date: September 21, 2017 01:42

keefriff99
Hairball
Marathon setlist, but having seen him a few times in the last five years (Desert Trip being the most recent) I could only last for about a third of it. Love Paul (especially with the Beatles), but there's only so much one can take!

But let's see...40 songs vs. 20 from another great and currently touring band...the man knows how to put on a show and keep his fans happy!
What about it wore you out?

I almost saw him in 2014, but I had to travel for work and had to eat the cost of my ticket. SO pissed.

Obviously it's stupid to put off seeing him given that he's 75...maybe next year, as he'll almost certainly come round the States once again.

Hmm, he's playing Brooklyn Thursday night and Long Island twice next week...very tempting but I can't take much more time off work than I already have.

He is playing in Syracuse on Saturday in the dome. I checked StubHub and lots of tickets available from $50 to $200. I'm thinking about it.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 21, 2017 02:03

He is fantastic! If you haven't seen him before it is definitely a good show to go to. However, I have seen him a lot in the last 10 years and his show needs a make-over. For the most part he tells the same stories verbatim.Exactly the same. And his core show hasn't changed. With the same ending. He does change four or five songs every tour, but he should mix it up even more for the amount of times he is touring. I am a big fan, however, with his current shows I am done. I am happy with what I saw. And he put on probably the best show I have ever seen quite a while ago, in Salt Lake City. Sublime.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 21, 2017 02:17

Saw this show in Shreveport because I was a die-hard Macca fan in my youth and this seemed my last/only chance of seeing a Beatle perform Beatle songs. So being a first-timer I wasn't affected by repetition of material, setlist, stories, etc., and in fact I was surprised by what a great show it was, how much I enjoyed it, and what great stamina he had. (He and Mick give me hope for my old --or even-older--age.) DEFINITELY worth seeing.

Date: September 21, 2017 02:18

whitem8
He is fantastic! If you haven't seen him before it is definitely a good show to go to. However, I have seen him a lot in the last 10 years and his show needs a make-over. For the most part he tells the same stories verbatim.Exactly the same. And his core show hasn't changed. With the same ending. He does change four or five songs every tour, but he should mix it up even more for the amount of times he is touring. I am a big fan, however, with his current shows I am done. I am happy with what I saw. And he put on probably the best show I have ever seen quite a while ago, in Salt Lake City. Sublime.

When I saw him in October 2015 in Buffalo, these songs were played at that show but were not played in the 40 song NYC setlist on September 15. That is a pretty good shuffling of songs. That is 1/3 of the entire show setlist that he changed. BTW, McCartney played 41 songs that night in Buffalo.

Eight Days A Week
Got To Get You Into My Life
One After 909
Temporary Secretary
Paperback Writer
We Can Work It Out
Another Day
Hope For The Future
Lovely Rita
Another Girl
Hi Hi Hi
Get Back
Save Us

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-21 02:40 by The Sicilian.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 21, 2017 03:32

The Sicilian
keefriff99
Hairball
Marathon setlist, but having seen him a few times in the last five years (Desert Trip being the most recent) I could only last for about a third of it. Love Paul (especially with the Beatles), but there's only so much one can take!

But let's see...40 songs vs. 20 from another great and currently touring band...the man knows how to put on a show and keep his fans happy!
What about it wore you out?

I almost saw him in 2014, but I had to travel for work and had to eat the cost of my ticket. SO pissed.

Obviously it's stupid to put off seeing him given that he's 75...maybe next year, as he'll almost certainly come round the States once again.

Hmm, he's playing Brooklyn Thursday night and Long Island twice next week...very tempting but I can't take much more time off work than I already have.

He is playing in Syracuse on Saturday in the dome. I checked StubHub and lots of tickets available from $50 to $200. I'm thinking about it.
pick me up I'm right here in Buffalo

Date: September 21, 2017 03:51

Hairball
The Sicilian
Jah Paul
Hairball

Do you "Nah, Nah, Nah" when he conducts all the boys and girls?

Date: September 21, 2017 05:38

bleedingman
Hairball
The Sicilian
Jah Paul
Hairball

Do you "Nah, Nah, Nah" when he conducts all the boys and girls?

Please...grinning smiley...I was just getting in to the positive spirit of this thread -
In the words of John Winston Lennon: "DON'T BRING ME DOWN"
(though I do like Hey Jude as it brings back many memories of the time when it was released)

But that reminds me of a mid -'80s Genesis concert I went to at Dodger stadium with my older sister and her friends who had given me a free ticket. At one point Phil Collins conducted an extended sing and clap along to whatever song they were playing (maybe Invisible Touch). "Hands in the air, stand up, clap with me, sing the words if you know them", etc.etc. Those who didn't fully participate - and there were thousand of us - were berated and reprimanded by Phil. "You people sitting and not participating just think you're too cool - you're spoiling the fun for everybody else" - what a dick!!! While it might have been partially tongue-in-cheek, he wouldn't stop the scolding for about five minutes. I didn't really like that era of Genesis to begin with, or the idea of ever seeing them live (even with a free ticket!), but I left that show thinking that was one of the worst concerts I've ever been to, and still feel that way!

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: September 21, 2017 05:51

gotdablouse
Hairball
Valid points.

Imagine if Mick were to hire a bunch of young whippersnapper studio musicians and tour the world playing his solo material and a bunch of Stones songs. That's pretty much a McCartney show - many people enjoy it (and it is a bit enjoyable), but it's all a bit sterile due to his backing band/studio musicians. Highly skilled indeed, but maybe too much so...you'll never hear a mistake or any form of improvization.

We got a glimpse of that on SNL [youtu.be] and it was amazing !

Amazing?????? Are you deaf? It's terrible......

Date: September 21, 2017 06:54

Hairball
But that reminds me of a mid -'80s Genesis concert I went to at Dodger stadium with my older sister and her friends who had given me a free ticket. At one point Phil Collins conducted an extended sing and clap along to whatever song they were playing (maybe Invisible Touch). "Hands in the air, stand up, clap with me, sing the words if you know them", etc.etc. Those who didn't fully participate - and there were thousand of us - were berated and reprimanded by Phil. "You people sitting and not participating just think you're too cool - you're spoiling the fun for everybody else" - what a dick!!! While it might have been partially tongue-in-cheek, he wouldn't stop the scolding for about five minutes. I didn't really like that era of Genesis to begin with, or the idea of ever seeing them live (even with a free ticket!), but I left that show thinking that was one of the worst concerts I've ever been to, and still feel that way!

Funny how one can have a totally opposite memory...I was at the same show (it was May 1987) and I distinctly remember it being very tongue and cheek, with the audience laughing at Phil's "scolding" - including a close-up of him on the big screen looking "disapprovingly" at the audience, with a telling smirk. It was his shtick at the time during the very long Invisible Touch tour. He wasn't being serious at all...but, who knows, maybe I'm misremembering!

I think we traveled in a lot of the same concert circles growing up, my Westside brother! smileys with beer

Date: September 21, 2017 07:12

Jah Paul
Hairball

Funny how one can have a totally opposite memory...I was at the same show (it was May 1987) and I distinctly remember it being very tongue and cheek, with the audience laughing at Phil's "scolding" - including a close-up of him on the big screen looking "disapprovingly" at the audience, with a telling smirk. It was his shtick at the time during the very long Invisible Touch tour. He wasn't being serious at all...but, who knows, maybe I'm misremembering!

I think we traveled in a lot of the same concert circles growing up, my Westside brother! smileys with beer

Perhaps your memory is better Jah Paul or we just experienced it in a different way, and while I did say it might have been "partially tongue-in-cheek", it was cringeworthy for someone like me who didn't really want to be there in the first place! Like going to a bad theatrical play with my parents...or to a dog show with my Grandma lol...I was squirming in my seat wanting to be anywhere else but there. Shtick or not, I was in no mood to play Phils's little games, I was just too cool for that! winking smiley And truth be told I do like some of those '80's hits for nostalgia reasons, but seeing them live was something I could have happily lived without!

Date: September 21, 2017 07:36

Hairball
Perhaps your memory is better Jah Paul or we just experienced it in a different way, and while I did say it might have been "partially tongue-in-cheek", it was cringeworthy for someone like me who didn't really want to be there in the first place! Like going to a bad theatrical play with my parents...or to a dog show with my Grandma lol...I was squirming in my seat wanting to be anywhere else but there. Shtick or not, I was in no mood to play Phils's little games, I was just too cool for that! winking smiley And truth be told I do like some of those '80's hits for nostalgia reasons, but seeing them live was something I could have happily lived without!

I could see it being annoying if you didn't want to be there, that's for sure! I was an odd Genesis fan...one who actually liked both eras (Gabriel and Collins) - although I could do without stuff like "Tonight Tonight Tonight" and "Invisible Touch." Lamentably never got to see them with Gabriel.

Date: September 21, 2017 08:12

Jah Paul
Hairball

I could see it being annoying if you didn't want to be there, that's for sure! I was an odd Genesis fan...one who actually liked both eras (Gabriel and Collins) - although I could do without stuff like "Tonight Tonight Tonight" and "Invisible Touch." Lamentably never got to see them with Gabriel.

I must have still been in he midst of my anti-corporate rock phase...attending mostly small club shows and listening to obscure reggae, archaic blues, and other non-mainstream stuff. One of the best shows I saw around that time was the old bluegrass band The Dillards (aka the Darlings on the Andy Griffith show) and John Hartford play at Lincoln Jr. High auditorium in Santa Monica!

I loved the Gabriel Genesis era, as well as most of his solo stuff... including many of his '80's hits! I saw him several years ago at the Santa Barbara Bowl for the Back to Front tour where he played the whole SO album with the original band, along with some other classic selections from his solo catalogue. Have to say it was a stunning show, and one of the best I've seen in recent memory. Solsbury Hill, Red Rain, and In Your Eyes were worth the price of admission alone.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 21, 2017 11:50

DGA35
Paul has played Vancouver 3 times in the past several years and all three times he's played Mull of Kintyre with a local police pipe band coming out on stage. I believe he plays this at most if not all concerts in Canada but not very often in the States?

He's done that several times in Toronto too over the years, always love that. I remember it got a lot of radio play here when it came out. I seem to remember him saying in an interview that he plays it in Scotland and Canada.

Just checked the Quebec City setlist from the big 2008 show and it wasn't included there (but he did 38 songs!). As an Anglo, it was damned uncomfortable sitting on the Plains of Abraham listening to A Day In The Life ('...the English army had just won the war...') Cringe! grinning smiley

Date: September 21, 2017 11:56

strat72
gotdablouse
Hairball
Valid points.

Imagine if Mick were to hire a bunch of young whippersnapper studio musicians and tour the world playing his solo material and a bunch of Stones songs. That's pretty much a McCartney show - many people enjoy it (and it is a bit enjoyable), but it's all a bit sterile due to his backing band/studio musicians. Highly skilled indeed, but maybe too much so...you'll never hear a mistake or any form of improvization.

We got a glimpse of that on SNL [youtu.be] and it was amazing !

Amazing?????? Are you deaf? It's terrible......

Some fans like «correct and on the beat-playing», nothing wrong with that.

It has nothing to do with the Stones's playing style, though. It sort of represents what the Stones aren't.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1795
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home