Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 67
Re: OT: Sir Paul at Fenway Park, Boston
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: July 18, 2016 17:54

Helter Skelter with Bob Weir & Gronk:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: July 18, 2016 18:15

Sounds awesome!!would have like to been there!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 18, 2016 18:30

Looks like a fun time had by all... Except possibly the non-Patriots fans in the house. Fun to see someone at an elite level in their own profession get out of their element and clearly "just have fun".

Peace,
Mr DJA

Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: MisterAccapella ()
Date: July 18, 2016 22:05

Saw McCartney at Citizen's Bank Park in Philly, last week. It was my first Macca show. I was surprised when the whole audience sat down after the third song, and stayed seated until the final part of the show. While Paul was in fine voice, his band seemed to lack the punch of a Stones show. Don't get me wrong - it was a great show, but there is only one Rolling Stones.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: July 19, 2016 17:51

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 6, 2016 06:52

New book on Paul McCartney by Philip Norman is taking off.

Lot of good and rare stuff re Liverpool, Lennon and McCartney, also Allen Klein relationship during the years. Glad I read it.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 6, 2016 09:12

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely get it - I really enjoyed Norman's book on Mick.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 5, 2016 16:00

Saw Paul last night in Sacramento (1st time)
I don't have much of a review, we did leave early (it's okay, but didn't want H out too long/ mass exit in the throng)
His voice was strong, hit notes, even the 'yelling' ones.
When he went into Jimi Hendrix 'Foxy Lady' I was unprepared, therefore excited
loved that.
I felt a little out of place in the crowd, not sure why, but that, and generally large crowds in the middle of, isn't my fav, made me realize I would never survived Desert Trip- claustrophobic.
Sort of sad, it's the end, feeling I got. Paul is sharp, articulate, enjoyed his very short stories,
tributes to John, George's.
Maybe I'm just a chick reading too much into it.
His 2 guitars players and drummer rocked.
Must be me that's the oldest of them all (I'm not/49)
but thought if the show started at 1 pm...a matinee.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-05 16:00 by 35love.

Date: October 10, 2016 03:31

If I am not mistaken, next Saturday night October 15th at Desert Trip Indio CA
is Paul McCartney's last scheduled tour date.
I think/ predict that is his last show/ Paul is calling it.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: October 10, 2016 08:03

35love

Until 2017 that is. He's said in interviews recently that after Desert Trip he's going into the studio to record a new album before taking it out on the road next year.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 10, 2016 08:39

35love

I highly doubt it. I see nothing that suggests his shows have changed that much. He's played basically the quota he usually plays a year. I'm sure he'll keep going next year, and I really don't see him ending for another 2 or 3 years. He still seems fine.

Date: October 10, 2016 11:56

RollingFreak
35love

I highly doubt it. I see nothing that suggests his shows have changed that much. He's played basically the quota he usually plays a year. I'm sure he'll keep going next year, and I really don't see him ending for another 2 or 3 years. He still seems fine.

Okay. And just for the record, I am certainly not saying/ qualified/ or think he should,
But I think he's retiring next Saturday.

OT: McCartney sues Sony for song rights
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 19, 2017 17:49

Interesting read about the music business. Wonder if the Stones can find a way to go after ABKCO.

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

Re: OT: McCartney sues Sony for song rights
Posted by: HankM ()
Date: January 19, 2017 18:08

It only seems right for an artist to get them back where they belong
and imuho only a corporate money grubbing devil would say otherwise-

FTA
...In 1976, Congress increased the period that works are under copyright protection, and, in recognition of authors who had signed over their rights to publishers and studios without much bargaining power, allowed such authors 35 years hence to reclaim rights in the latter stages of a copyright term. Artists such as Bob Dylan, Tom Petty and Prince have used the mere threat of termination to negotiate new deals and better compensation arrangements.

According to McCartney's complaint, he transferred rights to songs co-authored by him and John Lennon between 1962 and 1971 to various music publishers.

It's well known that in the 1980s, after getting advice from McCartney himself that the big money in music was tied to rights in song compositions, Michael Jackson bought songs including "Yesterday," "Hey Jude" and "Let It Be." Jackson then entered a joint venture with Sony/ATV, and last year, his estate sold the late pop singer's remaining interest to Sony.

The lawsuit notes that McCartney has been serving and recording termination notices for nearly a decade. Represented by attorneys at Morrison & Foerster, he now expects to recover copyright interests as soon as Oct. 5, 2018.
.... more here

Re: OT: McCartney sues Sony for song rights
Date: January 19, 2017 18:14

It should be a no-brainer that an artist get back rights to their work.
The record companies and others have made their money... and a lot of it.

At the very least an artist deserves this for their great early work and still being alive

CHEERS smileys with beer TO THOSE ARTISTS WHO STUCK AROUND AND ARE STILL KICKING IT!!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 19, 2017 21:27

This matter has been rumbling for years...and it would gave never happened if Macca hadn't been such a cheapstake and been outbid by Wacko Jacko.
I would not put any money on Paulie winning this action. Sony have only recently paid out a lot of dosh to the MJ Estate for outright ownership of the Northern Songs catalogue and will have had the best legal brains looking into every angle of the deal.
Do authors (of books) have the same problem? In the music industry the publishing and copyright laws seem such a mess.
The deposition doesn't fill one with much confidence: It refers to Lee Eastman (PM Attorney) in the present tense. Of course, he died many years ago..Paul's publishing empire is advised by John Eastman (Lee's son), who of course featured in the infamous Beatles 1969 business fiascos.

The Stones situation is probably different. In 1964 (ie before Klein), Manager Andrew Oldham arranged for The Essex Music Group to administer and publish the self penned compositions. Oldham held the copyrights. When ALO was short of funds, he sold these golden nuggets to Klein....who eventually also took over the publisher's role.
If the group had thought they had a legal right to the copyrights, they would have
fought for these during the 1971/72 ABKCO litigation. All they got was some back pay for past income.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 19, 2017 21:33

35love
RollingFreak
35love

Okay. And just for the record, I am certainly not saying/ qualified/ or think he should,
But I think he's retiring next Saturday.
So far, he has three dates scheduled for Tokyo in April...so much for that prediction...

Date: January 19, 2017 21:58

keefriff99, ya, I was wrong. I'm always wrong about the Stones hanging it up too

As far as master recordings (and I didn't read the article)
it was typically in the contract upfront w/ a cash pay for new artists.
Prince somehow got his masters back from Warners 2014,
however,
much is private some even say shady about how that all transpired,
Prince believing the written words and signatures on paper to be CONtracts.
I could go on,
but then Bjornulf might not appreciate off topic.
And I'm thrilled Paul will be on the road again if that's his and his fans passion.

Date: January 19, 2017 22:21

jlowe
This matter has been rumbling for years...and it would gave never happened if Macca hadn't been such a cheapstake and been outbid by Wacko Jacko.
I would not put any money on Paulie winning this action. Sony have only recently paid out a lot of dosh to the MJ Estate for outright ownership of the Northern Songs catalogue and will have had the best legal brains looking into every angle of the deal.
Do authors (of books) have the same problem? In the music industry the publishing and copyright laws seem such a mess.
The deposition doesn't fill one with much confidence: It refers to Lee Eastman (PM Attorney) in the present tense. Of course, he died many years ago..Paul's publishing empire is advised by John Eastman (Lee's son), who of course featured in the infamous Beatles 1969 business fiascos.

The Stones situation is probably different. In 1964 (ie before Klein), Manager Andrew Oldham arranged for The Essex Music Group to administer and publish the self penned compositions. Oldham held the copyrights. When ALO was short of funds, he sold these golden nuggets to Klein....who eventually also took over the publisher's role.
If the group had thought they had a legal right to the copyrights, they would have
fought for these during the 1971/72 ABKCO litigation. All they got was some back pay for past income.

Reading and hearing about the "rights" to all these works has been interesting over the years. Rights are certainly where the real money is. Last night we were talking about how the gals of ABBA are worth 4 Million while the guys are worth 100 Million becasue of who "owns" the rights. And then there are the extensions to the "rights" like Disney had done for Mickey Mouse right before he was going to become public domain. And it is a great point that if Sony JUST paid out large money to the Jackson estate too 100% own of the rights, then at the very least Paul would have to pay them back... or something. Still I think it is sad when the creator loses control of their creation, unless they want to sell them like the Offspring did last year for 40Million. And I guess at some point Bowie sold the proceeds to his future earnings in a public stock offering(or something like that).

One thing is for sure, there is gold in that music.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 19, 2017 22:27

I know Metallica owns their complete back catalog and all original masters outright now. They bought them from Elektra in 2012 and created their own record label for them. They've even got their own vinyl pressing facility.

Pretty cool when a huge band has that kind of intimate control.

Date: January 19, 2017 22:27

One thing IS for sure:
Get at least 2 separate business/contracts attorneys on your own dime to review
your documents so they can read between the legalize to spell it out for you!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 19, 2017 22:32

Motley Crue also got theirs back as well. If I remember correctly, they were required to sign an NDA which requires them not to tell how they got them due to the fact that, at the time, it was almost unheard of for an artist to get the rights to their masters back. I also remember one of the band saying that, ultimately the company gave them back the masters due to the company believing that they weren't really going to be worth all that much in the long run. Possibly someone has seen the same documentary I saw but has a better memory than mine.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: January 19, 2017 23:09

Well, even if the moral argument is that the creators of the works should be the owners and stewards, it isn't always to the benefit of the fans.
So a writer/owner may choose not to open up their vaults. Whereas another party (eg record company) might see the $$$ value in doing so.

Some people would argue, for example that ABKCO's 'stewardship' of the pre 1971 catalogue...at least in the last 15 years or so...has been 'better' than the Stones controlled post 1971 material.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 20, 2017 00:16

THE AGE --- 20 January 2017

ROCKMAN

Date: January 20, 2017 10:34

I actually thought Paulie had (or rather MPL Publishing) purchased the rights to Love Me Do (and flip side) many years ago.

Date: January 20, 2017 12:59

idk about the rest of this, but it seems the real story here is the LEGO crime spree. Shops are under siege! This could have far reaching effects... I mean affects... or is it FX? Whatever it is, it could have far reaching consequences.

There could be stubble trouble, someone better call Batman. or Batgirl... or is it Batboy?

OT: McCartney in Tokyo April 2017
Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: April 27, 2017 07:05

Early videos have surfaced from his first show there. My main concern was how his voice sounded, because to me, it was absolutely shredded to the point of embarrassment last fall. I am happy to report that while he still sounds, well, 74 almost 75 years old, he sounds much better than he did. Whether it is the conscious adjustments he's made to his singing approach, rest or something else, it's working for him.

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-27 07:09 by Long John Stoner.

Re: OT: McCartney in Tokyo April 2017
Date: April 27, 2017 07:10

He seems to go back and forth. Usually, I think its spot on. In fact, I went to his show around the time he did those Citi Field ones solely because I saw him on Letterman and was like "he sounds excellent, I have to see this NOW before I can't anymore". And he sounded great. Then I saw him a few years later and he was still great. Then he was on SNL maybe Christmas of that year and he sounded terrible and I thought "wow, we got in JUST in time. I guess he's losing it." Then concert videos again, he's back to what is very very good. SNL 40th Anniversary, maybe my memory is off but I think he was a bit ragged there. Now back to normal strength.

Probably just comes with the territory of the career he's had and his age now. Seems he kinda clams up or has bad luck with TV appearances but live he's still pretty dynamite. Glad to see he's back to singing well and I stopped assuming he's gonna lose it any time soon awhile ago. When he's on, which I'd say is like 80% of the time, he's still so great.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 27, 2017 07:11

Man, after seeing Paul McCartney and Paul Simon last year, I have to say...Mick's voice is holding up better than pretty much any of his contemporaries...

Date: April 27, 2017 07:15

Mick is truly a freak of nature. Seriously him and, laugh if you want, Steven Tyler, are kinda the only two guys I can think of out there right now playing the places they do that will always, 100%, consistently give you a great performance. They know how to do it and just nail it, night in and night out. There are other great ones, Sammy Hagar, Bruce Springsteen, that are still just great, but Mick is arguably as good as he's always been. People wish they could age vocally as well as he is, and props to him cause that can't be easy. Only other person I say is similar is Steven Tyler, who knows what he needs to sound good and god damn, he still sounds pretty flawless.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1826
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home