Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 67
Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 1, 2016 00:35

djgab

what do you mean by GA ?

Probably 'General Admission' - [en.wikipedia.org] .... smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-01 00:40 by Irix.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 1, 2016 02:06

djgab
what do you mean by GA ? wikipedia.org/wiki/GA

I was in the middle of the floor, I queued for about one hour.
The crowd was quite alive and singing winking smiley almost as wild as for Stones in Stade de France two years ago.

Yes I did mean General Admission winking smiley. Apologies - I should have made that clearer. I was in around the 5th row. I too was at the Stones at the Stade de France 2 years ago and also in '98 and '07. I love seeing shows here as bands seem to find an extra gear here. Lots of youngsters at the front too - going crazy. I saw a few in tears at the end.

Standing accomodation on the floor is rare at a MCCartney show and this is the 1st time I've been in it. Very cheap too at 73 EUR for this one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-01 02:23 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 1, 2016 02:14

Cool reviews we have to wait until October but have tickets and am very excited!

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: June 1, 2016 13:35

thanks, I learned a new acronym winking smiley
Last year, at the stade de france for Macca, half of the floor was sitting.
Then, the crowd can not be so wild.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 1, 2016 16:53

Fantastic show by Macca in Paris, with some nice surprises (hadn't read anything before hand) for the uberfans so the "war horses" work ok, especially since they're not all played at the end.

Unlike Mick he makes eye contact with the first rows which adds a little something to the experience. He doesn't often get credited for it, but what a showman, both talkative, yet cool, sometimes solemn and totally relaxed, pretty unique.

If it's the last time I see him, well it will have been the best possible experience/memory.

Unlikely though as he got interviewed on the phone by a French paper on his way to the studio where he's recording his new album.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

OT the new book on Paul McCartney
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 10, 2016 09:33

I highly recommend the new book by Philip Norman, who knows what he's writing about and has a good relationship with Paul.

OT: Paul McCartney at PinkPop...eye rolling smiley
Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: June 12, 2016 23:43

Just saw a few seconds of Can't Buy Me Love... painfull..., voice is gone...

Glad The Rolling Stones were great two years ago at PinkPop.

Hope they hang it up before it get's like this.

Re: OT: Paul McCartney at PinkPop...eye rolling smiley
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 13, 2016 02:04

RipThisBone
Just saw a few seconds of Can't Buy Me Love... painfull..., voice is gone...

Glad The Rolling Stones were great two years ago at PinkPop.

Hope they hang it up before it get's like this.
Mick's voice has barely changed since he modified his live singing style in '89-'90. It's actually remarkably how resilient it is.

I don't really love his half-sing/half-shout style, but it seems to work for him and he's still capable of delivering wonderful vocals, particularly on slower or acoustic numbers (such as I Got The Blues from Sticky Fingers Live).

Date: June 13, 2016 02:37

I recall watching Macca do 'Hey Jude' at the London Olympics some years ago and thinking he reached his shelf-life... Glad I was wrong, but then again, I haven't watched many of his performance videos since then.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 13, 2016 02:41

Maybe he has 'off nights' tho I've noticed the clarity of his purest voice seems to be long gone. He's already proved everything and much more. It is getting a painful to hear it's decline. He's a road warrior tho.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 13, 2016 04:03

i saw him in 2012 and while most of the show was great he did suffer some of the more vocally acrobatic tunes, can't remember off the top of my head what they were.

he is fearless though, you have to give him that. he goes all out on the vox, not always nailing them but giving it his all.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 13, 2016 08:40

Personally I don't mind a little voice problems, it's to be expected in my opinion. Musically he makes up for it, plus his band is great. I hope he continues. Still waiting for him to pull out "When I'm 64" and a few other obscurities. He's real good for that.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 13, 2016 10:00

Opera singer Renée Fleming said to opera-singer students (in a TV documentary), "Maybe two days out of the year your voice will be in perfect singing shape, and those will be on two days when you're not performing." The students laughed and Flemming said, "I'm not kidding."

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 13, 2016 10:12

Paul has this weird thing where he won't drink water onstage because he thinks it looks unprofessional. I think it would help him at least some.

Date: June 13, 2016 11:49

Come to think of it I never noticed him not drinking water onstage. Good point. He must have some very high standards of professionalism.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: June 13, 2016 12:27

He also plays the songs in their original keys despite the deepening of his voice over time.

Date: June 13, 2016 12:34

mr_c_ox
He also plays the songs in their original keys despite the deepening of his voice over time.

Just like Mick, with the exception of IORR.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 13, 2016 14:35

He was great at Pinkpop yesterday.
Yes his voice isn't very strong anymore reaching higher notes. But who cares? The man is 73. It is allowed not being in your very prime anymore. But he's also never out of tune.

You can't compare it to Mick, who entirely relies on his backing vocalists for trickier parts and even for the not tricky parts too.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: June 13, 2016 15:50

I was there too. I agree his voice isn't as strong as it used to be, or compared to Mick Jagger. But acceptable!

His show runs a bit less smoothly and polished than the Stones'. He just walks on with his band without music, whereas the Stones enter stage full blast. At the beginning he seemed a bit uncertain when communicating with the audience. After the last encore he took a bow but was hidden by the smoke from his own set, followed by some firework when the music had already stopped. Things like that.

He doesn't 'own' the stage like Mick, there are no wings (ha!) and there is no running back and forth. However his playing is still highly professional (no keithwrecks), and the visuals are spectacular - check Live And Let Die from last night:
[www.youtube.com]

I enjoyed it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 14, 2016 02:06

crholmstrom
Paul has this weird thing where he won't drink water onstage because he thinks it looks unprofessional. I think it would help him at least some.

I wonder if he would consider Jack Daniels instead?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 14, 2016 19:25

crholmstrom

Really?! Had no idea. So weird.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: June 15, 2016 09:57

Henry McCullogh RIP sad smiley

Date: June 15, 2016 14:37

One of the most memorable guitar solos in a love song "My Love". thanks to Henry McCullogh. Happy trails to him.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 15, 2016 14:40

frankotero
One of the most memorable guitar solos in a love song "My Love". thanks to Henry McCullogh. Happy trails to him.

That is an awesome solo. RIP

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 16, 2016 02:07

Henry was a very talented musician. RIP Henry. Yes, My Love is a great solo. One of his best. But he has a lot of others with Joe Cocker and more from Wings. He does some great fret work on Big Barn Bed! And Get on the Right Thing! Great stuff. Jam on in the cosmos Henry!

O/T HAPPY B'DAY SIR PAUL !!
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 18, 2016 17:56

Happy 74th to Paul McCartney.
Looking forward to seeing him live again at Desert Trip!!

Re: O/T HAPPY B'DAY SIR PAUL !!
Date: June 18, 2016 17:59

Happy Birthday, when he's 74. Someone had to say itsmiling smiley Cheers!

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: June 27, 2016 08:10

Here are some photos I took in Berlin and Prague a couple of days go - amazing shows, the man is a miracle!

Berlin: [www.flickr.com]

Prague: [www.flickr.com]

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 27, 2016 09:36

Happy24
Here are some photos I took in Berlin and Prague a couple of days go - amazing shows, the man is a miracle!

Berlin: [www.flickr.com]

Prague: [www.flickr.com]

Excellent photos and many thanks for sharing. I was at the excellent show in Paris, 5 rows from the front and I will be at Roxk Werchter on Thursday, his last European show before he returns to the U.S. for even more shows.

OT: Sir Paul at Fenway Park, Boston
Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: July 18, 2016 17:32

So as to not clutter any other threads. Saw McCartney last night (along with about 40,000 of my closest friends) at the cathedral of Boston, Fenway Pahk. Great show as usual (my 3rd time seeing his solo show over the years). He brought out Dead guitarist Bob Weir (DEad and Co. had just played 2 nights there) for Hi Hi Hi and then (previously unplayed on recent shows) Helter Skelter, which also featured New England Patriot 'Gronk' on air guitar. Kind of a hoot. Anyway - a perfect summer night. A 39 (!) song set list.
He has a handful of other US shows leading up to the Desert. A splendid time is guaranteed for all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-18 17:33 by DEmerson.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1503
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home