Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 67
Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 20, 2016 14:48

Long John Stoner
Socrates1
Is Macca a little bit boring or is it just me?

It's you. Plus, he's 74 this June. Any show that opens with Hard Day's Night and closes with the Abbey Road trilogy is always great.

Agreed. The setlist looks good, though it's a tad more uninteresting than what he did last year.
Of course the Abbey Road trilogy is good, but he's done it since 2001 now. I know it'll never happen, but I'd love for him to end with Beautiful Night from Flaming Pie. That one might be my fave Macca song if plus comes to shove.
I have tix to see him on June 27. It's a 12.000 seater place, so it's pretty small.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Paddy2008 ()
Date: April 20, 2016 20:16

DGA35
Thanks for the info CR. I remember when I saw him in late 2012 in Vancouver, the pyro for Live and Let Die was the most I'd ever seen for any band, more than Motley or KISS! So much smoke in BC Place, then he plays Hey Jude and you could barely see the stage with all the smoke!

I was there for this also. I thought it was a really cool moment, the entire arena was filled with smoke, purple lighting and hey jude. I've been to a lot of gigs seen most of the "big" bands at this point and I have to say that moment was magical really magical.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 20, 2016 21:17

Great concert last night, definitely better seeing in an arena than at BC Place across the street in 2012. 15000 capacity is better than 50000! Can't believe how much energy he has, almost 3 hours non stop. Show started at 8:25 and ended at 11:20. Local singer Diana Krall came on and played piano on My Valentine, I believe she played on the album version. I believe they showed husband Elvis Costello in the crowd during Hey Jude sing a long.
He also played Mull of Kintyre during the encore which I'm not sure he's played in the previous 3 shows. He played it here in 2012, too, and again, the Delta Police pipe band came on and played bagpipes/drums.
Great sound and video screens, lots of pyro during Live and Let Die, although not as many fireworks. In 2012, the fireworks were shooting to the roof of BC Place.
Very diverse crowd age wise, I noticed a number of older fans leaving before the encores.

Date: April 21, 2016 03:32

I read on line that the last 7 times he's played Mull of Kintyre have all been in Canada and he's never played it in the States?! Not sure why not.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 21, 2016 06:50

DGA35
I read on line that the last 7 times he's played Mull of Kintyre have all been in Canada and he's never played it in the States?! Not sure why not.

I thought it was like a big hit in Canada. I know its a shoe in for Canada every time. Guess I never looked into why.

JumpingKentFlash
Of course the Abbey Road trilogy is good, but he's done it since 2001 now.

Thats not quite true. Actually, it was THE closer when he started playing Beatles songs again back on his 89/90 tour. He closed with it every show. I believe 2001 is when he started doing the Sgt. Peppers Reprise/The End medley, which he then did for 10 years. I know because thats what I assumed would be the closer when I saw him at Yankee Stadium (first show of the On The Run tour) and was blown away when he brought back the full Abbey Road Golden Slumbers ending. He hadn't done that since 1990, 21 years!!! So yes, he's closed with The End since 2001, but he's brought back the true Abbey Road trilogy only like 5 years ago after not playing it for awhile. My guess is its here to stay, or for some reason he goes back to the Sgt. Peppers one with The End. Cause honestly, what better closer does he have than that, and how many more years can he really tour.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-21 07:01 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 21, 2016 06:56

a bigger nut -thank you for posting the link to the pre-show music. Nice to get reunited with the excitement stirred up before the concerts. Great memories. Cheers.

Date: April 21, 2016 20:40

Jimmy Fallon came on stage last night to sing I Saw Her Standing There with Paul. He wished everyone Happy 4/20 day, which was huge in Vancouver with thousands showing up on the beach at English Bay.

Date: April 21, 2016 21:38

I think Paul may have a flu or head cold, voice was shaky in places last night, even when he was talking to the crowd but overall great night.

Prob not as good as 2012 and 2013 but still a Legend and great energy.

The only thing that pisses me off with a show like Paul's is the same stories and jokes at the same point in each show you see.

Date: April 21, 2016 22:30

Hey Paddy, I'm very surprised that he does back to back nights at his age! I didn't go last night but I figured that his voice wouldn't be as good as the previous night. Did he play Mull of Kintyre again during the encore?

Date: April 22, 2016 02:00

DGA35
Hey Paddy, I'm very surprised that he does back to back nights at his age! I didn't go last night but I figured that his voice wouldn't be as good as the previous night. Did he play Mull of Kintyre again during the encore?

Yep the Delta Police Band came on last night also. Ya know what, the fact that he is 73/74 and doing back to back nights is amazing. I was happy with his vocals but you are correct it would have been better on Tuesday night I'm guessing.

I was spoiled with the show in BC Place last time round and again with a show in Seattle a few summers ago. My only gripe was no Helter Skelter! :-)

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 22, 2016 10:11

Sunday Times (UK) Rich List 2016.
Macca top musician wealth wise. Adding Wife Nancy's dosh, they have combined assets of £760 million.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: April 22, 2016 10:46

Paddy2008
I think Paul may have a flu or head cold, voice was shaky in places last night, even when he was talking to the crowd but overall great night.

The only thing that pisses me off with a show like Paul's is the same stories and jokes at the same point in each show you see.

His voice has been going for some time unfortunately. In general once he's warmed up a bit he gets better. A disadvantage he has is that apart from Helter Skelter he has songs stuffed with melodic content and they're quite unforgiving if his voice is off.
I've only seen him twice and there was good, bad and brilliant. Overall he was bloody brilliant. 3 hours and close on 40 songs.
The end of Hey Jude was ecstatic until he went into his "all the boys/all the girls" routine. I went from heaven to hell in about 5 seconds.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 22, 2016 12:16

Paddy2008
DGA35

Yep the Delta Police Band came on last night also. Ya know what, the fact that he is 73/74 and doing back to back nights is amazing. I was happy with his vocals but you are correct it would have been better on Tuesday night I'm guessing.

I was spoiled with the show in BC Place last time round and again with a show in Seattle a few summers ago. My only gripe was no Helter Skelter! :-)

We got "Helter Skelter" in Seattle with 2 bass players (Krist Novoselic). It was phenomenal & worked real well. Not many songs lend themselves to that but Helter sure did!

Date: April 23, 2016 01:14

crholmstrom
Paddy2008
DGA35

We got "Helter Skelter" in Seattle with 2 bass players (Krist Novoselic). It was phenomenal & worked real well. Not many songs lend themselves to that but Helter sure did!

I seen Macca in Safeco field last time round and Novoselic, Grohl and Pat Smear came out for "Cut me Some slack" having not seen Nirvana live it was as close as I got. They stayed on for a few tunes.

Posted by: Montrealsuperfan ()
Date: April 23, 2016 01:20

I was there for night one in Vancouver. Not a huge fan per se, but this was a killer show. Wow- what a catalogue to chose from.

I was up front and the "Live and let Die" pyro and explosions were something else. You could tell that Sir Paul was annoyed that one of the explosions went off to close to him. He was pointing to the roadies and gesturing to his ears with a pined look on his face. He is a pro though and on with the show....

The last comment I have is that both Paul and most of the band are exceptional multi instrument players. Wow!

Date: April 23, 2016 01:42

The pyro was great on Live and Let Die but there was a lot more in 2012 at BC Place across the street. Fireworks were hitting the roof!
I still remember 89 Steel Wheels at BC Place. I was row 2 on the floor and the opening pyro was really hot!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 23, 2016 12:10

Montrealsuperfan
I was there for night one in Vancouver. Not a huge fan per se, but this was a killer show. Wow- what a catalogue to chose from.

I was up front and the "Live and let Die" pyro and explosions were something else. You could tell that Sir Paul was annoyed that one of the explosions went off to close to him. He was pointing to the roadies and gesturing to his ears with a pined look on his face. He is a pro though and on with the show....

The last comment I have is that both Paul and most of the band are exceptional multi instrument players. Wow!

I think the annoyance is part of the schtick. He did it in Seattle & its been mentioned in every review. A little showmanship.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: April 25, 2016 00:31

ash
Paddy2008

His voice has been going for some time unfortunately. In general once he's warmed up a bit he gets better. A disadvantage he has is that apart from Helter Skelter he has songs stuffed with melodic content and they're quite unforgiving if his voice is off.
I've only seen him twice and there was good, bad and brilliant. Overall he was bloody brilliant. 3 hours and close on 40 songs.
The end of Hey Jude was ecstatic until he went into his "all the boys/all the girls" routine. I went from heaven to hell in about 5 seconds.

He should have retired in about 1975

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 25, 2016 02:45

Retired in 75. No sorry. That is crazy talk. The last time I saw him, two years ago, his voice was not as strong. Still a great show, but he did struggle at times. I do think he struggles with his speaking voice and the more gentle songs. He had throat surgery a while ago. He probably has vocal chord nodules. Yet, he still really can shine. I am interested to hear his new album. I was cranking out Electric Arguments today, one of his all time best solo albums. Brilliant.

Date: April 25, 2016 17:33

whitem8
I was cranking out Electric Arguments today, one of his all time best solo albums. Brilliant.

Agreed. Electric Arguments was and still is a breath of fresh air. Love that one.

Stopped in 75? He didn't even get good again until the late 80s when he started playing Beatles songs again!

Date: April 25, 2016 17:37

Retired in 75? Venus and Mars was great and so was Wings Over America! That's a great live album and the tour was fantastic!

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: April 25, 2016 23:22

2nd show has been added in Cleveland, Thu Aug 18th, not surprising since he hasn't played there since 2002.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: April 26, 2016 00:07

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Date: April 29, 2016 05:08

Mickscary is back! Been a long time since you lurked these halls!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 29, 2016 19:58

whitem8
Mickscary is back! Been a long time since you lurked these halls!

Hasn't that guy been lurking around and have made stupid comments under different personas on this board, for years now?

You can always tell by his limited language and approach, that it's the same guy no matter what alias he must have.

It's always those stupid and dismissive comments.

Incredible that this guy will waste his energy and his life, constantly commenting on something he doesn't like anyway. He must have a pretty poor life.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: April 29, 2016 20:27

In between Busch Stadium in St. Louis and two nights of 20,000 each in Cleveland, Macca is bringing this show to my town to a building that holds 11,000. Apparently the "most intimate" venue on the tour. I haven't seen him since long before Linda died but five minutes from home?? WOOOT!!

Date: April 30, 2016 01:41

rbk
In between Busch Stadium in St. Louis and two nights of 20,000 each in Cleveland, Macca is bringing this show to my town to a building that holds 11,000. Apparently the "most intimate" venue on the tour. I haven't seen him since long before Linda died but five minutes from home?? WOOOT!!

You'll have a great time. And 11,000? Consider yourself lucky cause he rarely plays arenas as it is, and the one time he played MSG near me my friend at Livenation said they couldn't fit one more person in that building. A legitimate 100% sell out and the only show he said he literally couldn't get me into, so 11,000 should be a blast!

Date: April 30, 2016 03:33

Actually he is playing Grand Vandel in Grand Rapids, and that is seating 11,000 as well. Great venue!

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: May 1, 2016 19:04

like to hear him do uncle albert just one time live

Date: May 1, 2016 19:46

I do wish that as well! A number one grammy winner and he hasn't done it live! Crazy! A great song I wish he would do with this band.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1671
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home