Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 67
Re: OT Paul McCartney's voice
Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: August 3, 2015 09:33

I saw him live less than a month ago (in Stockholm July 9th) and didn't notice anything strange with his voice.
Overall a good show, at least the second half. Everything turned into a great show from Something.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 3, 2015 09:49

At 73, it aint bad.....you wonder if anyone in the Macca camp dare tell their employer however, he needs to adjust his repetoire though.
Dylan's voice went around 25 years ago but many of his fans actually like his delivery!

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 3, 2015 14:54

MrThompsonWooft
Saw him at O2 in May. His voice was great.

Dare anyone mention that Mick's voice is not what it was?

Personally, I think Mick's voice sounds fabulous. I wouldn't be surprised if he's taken voice lessons. His singing sounds much more efficient to me. Does anyone know if he has taken lessons?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 3, 2015 15:05

steffialicia
Does anyone know if he has taken lessons?

If he does, I would like to talk to his teacher. Especially on the subject of ruining ballads by horrible overacting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-03 15:06 by HMS.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 3, 2015 15:39

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
I saw Macca in 2010, and it was a blast! A few years later, he closed out the Olympics, and he was awful. I exchanged looks to the others in the living room as we listened to his struggle through 'Hey Jude', then speculated on if he had a cold or what the issue was...during the song.

I remember that, he said something like his emotions got to him at the sheer size of the spectacle and affected his performance. You'd think he'd be used to large spectacles at this point but I guess it's nice to know he recognizes it and doesn't just phone it in.

Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 3, 2015 17:27

The Mick does have a voice coach, yes.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 3, 2015 18:52

steffialicia
MrThompsonWooft

Personally, I think Mick's voice sounds fabulous. I wouldn't be surprised if he's taken voice lessons. His singing sounds much more efficient to me. Does anyone know if he has taken lessons?
Mick is a different kind of singer. Always has been. Paul does the tenderness of Yesterday and the scream of Long Tall Sally or Oh Darling. Mick, to me, is one of those ageless voices. Its so natural as opposed to Paul that does many different things. I think of Mick sort of like John Fogerty. If you put their performances of 40 years ago up with today, sure you'll see some minor differences, but overall that IS the voice. They really haven't changed a wink. Paul's is more noticeable because of all the different types of singing IMO.

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: August 3, 2015 20:20

RollingFreak
steffialicia
MrThompsonWooft

Mick is a different kind of singer. Always has been. Paul does the tenderness of Yesterday and the scream of Long Tall Sally or Oh Darling. Mick, to me, is one of those ageless voices. Its so natural as opposed to Paul that does many different things. I think of Mick sort of like John Fogerty. If you put their performances of 40 years ago up with today, sure you'll see some minor differences, but overall that IS the voice. They really haven't changed a wink. Paul's is more noticeable because of all the different types of singing IMO.

Reality is that Mick sounds 50 years older than he did in 65. Time waits for no one. Not even a Rolling Stone.

Date: August 3, 2015 22:08

No. No. No. No.
He sounds 20 years older than in 1965. (Maybe 25)
That makes him still the youngest old singer in the world.
In fact, his voice is in very good shape. You overcritical fans you, instead of being happy to have them still around, all you do is niggle and moan constantly. Oh my beloved Stones, how can they treat you this way...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 4, 2015 00:27

I am a big Macca fan and have seen him many times. His voice currently does often have issues. Even his speaking voice. I believe he has some of the same nodules that plagued Roger Daltry. You can hear the strain in Macca's speaking voice.
Having said that. All the shows I saw he sounded fantastic. The most recent show, last summer in Chicago, he did struggle with the higher register and on the slower songs, which also points toward nodules or some other voice affliction. Yet on the rockers he belted furiously, which sounded better.

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: August 4, 2015 07:56

Compare the length of a McCartney show to the length of a Stones show. And within that Stones show Mick takes a two song break. McCartney is also always playing an instrument in addition to his vocal.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 4, 2015 08:19

Well, he IS 73, so give him a break. However, last year, I saw a clip of Macca and he did the Little Richard "Whooo" like it was 1965.

The way our voices change is interesting. Listen to an interview with Roger McGuinn from the 60s or 70s. His speaking voice is somewhat deep. Then listen to it now, it's almost an octave highter. Could be medication. My brother-in-law started somed meds, and his voice went up an octave.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 4, 2015 12:52

tomk
The way our voices change is interesting. Listen to an interview with Roger McGuinn ...

Listen to Leonard Cohen. It is amazing how his voice evolved through the years. Noone would surely suggest it got damaged :-)

Date: August 4, 2015 13:24

Bob Dylan is in great voice too, listen to his Shadow-In-The-Night-Album. Well, the album is booooooooooooooring, but he SINGS.

Maybe he was fooling us for decades, indeed he can sing if he wants to.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 4, 2015 13:46

MrThompsonWooft
Compare the length of a McCartney show to the length of a Stones show. And within that Stones show Mick takes a two song break. McCartney is also always playing an instrument in addition to his vocal.

I've always admired McCartney's versatility, musicianship (though he keeps it simple) and dedication.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 4, 2015 13:48

whitem8
Yet on the rockers he belted furiously, which sounded better.

Amen to this.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 9, 2015 09:17

Alternate SAY SAY SAY >>> [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 9, 2015 15:59

Latest brilliant singing I Heard from Sir Paul on an album is from 'Run Devil Run'....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 23, 2015 08:18

Just saw Paul McCartney close his "Out There" tour in Buffalo tonight.

Though his voice was a little raspy probably from playing Detroit the night before, he still managed to play 40 songs. And still screamed the parts in various songs that were screamed in the originals. He also played a couple pianos, a ukulele, and a myriad of guitars including bass, acoustic, lead and rhythm.

Contrast that with the Stones tour I saw this July and they played only 19 songs.

Posted by: BreakingBlues ()
Date: October 23, 2015 09:00

The Sicilian

Though his voice was a little raspy probably from playing Detroit the night before, he still managed to play 40 songs. And still screamed the parts in various songs that were screamed in the originals. He also played a couple pianos, a ukulele, and a myriad of guitars including bass, acoustic, lead and rhythm.

Contrast that with the Stones tour I saw this July and they played only 19 songs.

You know what...

actually you have a point there...

"I hope you didn't record any of this""No I didn't"

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: October 23, 2015 15:16

Paul uses Auto-tune
Paul does not run around or dance
Paul's music has nothing to do with the Stones' style.

I understand that older people who lived the 60ies appreciate both Stones and Beatles since they lived this golden era.
But to me, Paul is pop, Mick is rock.
I'm into rock.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 23, 2015 16:00

The Sicilian

really? Did Paul play any songs that were 14 min long (Rambler) or any songs over 3 minutes?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 23, 2015 16:02

Doc
Paul uses Auto-tune
Paul does not run around or dance
Paul's music has nothing to do with the Stones' style.

I understand that older people who lived the 60ies appreciate both Stones and Beatles since they lived this golden era.
But to me, Paul is pop, Mick is rock.
I'm into rock.

Autotune is a real time device and not used live. If anything something else is used to enhance his vocals.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 23, 2015 17:11

More Hot Rocks
The Sicilian

really? Did Paul play any songs that were 14 min long (Rambler) or any songs over 3 minutes?

I agree More More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 23, 2015 19:25

I saw the Detroit show...
41 songs.
27 Beatles songs.

This guy is an absolute joy to watch.

I can't even compare his live show to a Stones concert.
They are completely different animals.
Both spectacular in their own rights, especially in 2015!

Its astounding to see Paul go from instrument to instrument and play every single song. His band takes a break, but he never does. Minutes shy of three hours.

Interesting to note that he gave special nods from the stage to John and George, but not the other guy.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 23, 2015 19:32

Kurt
I saw the Detroit show...
41 songs.
27 Beatles songs.

This guy is an absolute joy to watch.

I can't even compare his live show to a Stones concert.
They are completely different animals.
Both spectacular in their own rights, especially in 2015!

Its astounding to see Paul go from instrument to instrument and play every single song. His band takes a break, but he never does. Minutes shy of three hours.

Interesting to note that he gave special nods from the stage to John and George, but not the other guy.

Hmmm interesting...I saw him a bit over a year ago, and am pretty sure there was some kind of tribute (maybe a video tribute) to "the other guy".
I was nicely buzzed that night so can't recall everything in detail, but do remember it being a marathon length absolutely great show.thumbs up

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 23, 2015 20:57

In all respect to Paul I think he has done plenty for Ringo through the years if you've been watching/listening. Plus Ringo is still alive, thankfully. I think Paul is trying his best to represent (and tribute) John and George best he can. Here's a thought - Ringo goes out of his way not to say "Beatles" at least during gigs. Anyone else notice that?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 23, 2015 21:56

So Paul and Ringo were both in the Buffalo/Toronto area this week. Did they attend each other shows or even better play on stage together?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 24, 2015 19:23

More Hot Rocks
The Sicilian

Who cares how long the songs were, actually I stand corrected, he played 41 songs. Those 41 for the most part were upbeat sing a long songs. McCartney's setlist ran over an hour longer than the Stones, had way more content, and lots of banter with the fans. That is what mattered.

Songs that made it to the show like this little gem, Another Girl:

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 29, 2015 22:03

HMS
steffialicia
Does anyone know if he has taken lessons?

If he does, I would like to talk to his teacher. Especially on the subject of ruining ballads by horrible overacting.

thumbs up

...so 'aaaawfuuuul baaaaaad'

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1685
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home