Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 67
Re: OT: I'm New To Macca. Looking For Solid Rockers
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 1, 2014 19:41

I agree Maybe I'm Amazed is an essential one, and Macca describes as the song he is the most proud of. The version on his Back in the USA live collection is astounding. Very powerful. Also the version on Wings Over America is fantastic 70's hard rock candy. In fact the entire Wings Over America is great if you are a Wings fan.

Soily is one of his top rockers.

Monkberry Moon Delight. Powerful, and his voice is insane on it.

The Mess. Another holy rocker from Macca. Live B side of My Love, and can be found on Red Rose Speedway reissue. Live. Also a studio version on the deluxe Band on the Run the live at EMI studios stuff.

Three Legs, great bluesy rocker that has a nice change to a more hippie rock coda.

Nothing Too Much Just Out of Site. From the Fireman Electric Arguments. His big bitch slap to his ex wife and one of his most forceful rockers since Helter Skelter. This arguably is one of his best solo albums period. Amazing eclectic collection that he plays all the instruments on. Some great psychedelia as well.

Mambo. Crazy non-sensicle hard rocker on Wildlife.

His live rendition of Matchbox off of Tripping the Live Fantastic

Girls School. A fantastic 80's hard rock master stroke. B side to Mull of Kintyre. I believe can be found on London Town re-release.

Oo You. McCartney. Great riff rock with a cool lead. All Macca on this.

Juniors Farm! A scorching barn burner rocker with some tasty guitar from Jimmy McColloch.

Letting Go. Good funk rock. Go for the version on Wings Over America. And if you can find the boot version from an Amsterdam TV show. Incredible!

Those are some initial scorching rockers from Macca...

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 1, 2014 19:50

How about 'Live and Let Die' (Single, 1973)?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 1, 2014 20:09

Run devil run, from that same album.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 1, 2014 20:28

He did a few tracks with that straight 4/4 bass line that are very good - Junior's Farm and Jet

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: April 1, 2014 20:33

Thank you all! I am looking for more "non-Wings" stuff.

Let Me Roll It is another one we want to cover but I need ALOT more practice on the hammer ons/pull offs!

Date: April 1, 2014 20:34

MACCA HARD ROCKERS?

There is not any!!!!!!!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 1, 2014 20:42

jumpontopofmebaby
MACCA HARD ROCKERS?

There is not any!!!!!!!

Quite wrong...ROCK SHOW!

Date: April 1, 2014 20:54

jumpontopofmebaby
MACCA HARD ROCKERS?

There is not any!!!!!!!

Yeah what an idiotic post. You listen to any of the ones I listed, they are all hard rockers.

And back to the purpose,
Ok, non Wings rockers...
Nothing Too Much Just Out of Site is one of his hardest.

Oo You isn't wings

Try also Only Mamma Knows. Good solid rocker.

Back in the Sunshine Again is a great one from Driving Rain.

Date: April 2, 2014 18:31

Thanks!

Date: April 2, 2014 18:33

I really appreciate this breakdown! Excellent!

Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 2, 2014 20:44

This is an awesome thread! And timely for me as well.

I love Paul solo stuff, even though I never actually thought he had that much great stuff. If that makes sense. The stuff I loved, I LOVED. Then Wings I kind of ignored. Literally just a week ago, I heard Wings Over America for the first time ever and loved it. Had heard great things for years, but 6 album sides of mostly material I didn't know seemed like a lot to take in lol.

But yes, McCartney rocks with the best of them. I agree with every single letter in whitem8's post. And here are some of my own thoughts I'll add.

Junior's Farm. Killer amazing track. I nearly fainted when he played it live a few years ago when I saw him. I saw him a few years before that at Citi Field and dragged my dad who said "yeah, Paul's great, but he should do stuff like Junior's Farm!" I'm not even kidding we were basically in tears when we finally saw him do that at Yankee Stadium.

No Words. Great little unknown song from Band On The Run. Great song and killer guitar solo/tone at the end.

Helen Wheels. Another great Band On The Run rocker.

Nothing Too Much Just Out Of Sight. Best song on an excellent Fireman album.

Maybe I'm Amazed. Just one of the most beautiful songs of all time.

The whole Ram album is amazing, but my all time favorite Paul rocker is Smile Away. Too Many People and Eat At Home are great songs too.

All Shook Up from Run Devil Run is killer.

Hi, Hi Hi, The Mess, Girls School. All amazing rockers.

My favorites from Wings Over America were Rock Show/Jet (the only song I knew for years before last week), Medicine Jar, Call Me Back Again, Time To Hide, Beware My Love (is awesome), Letting Go and Soily, the last of which became one of my top Paul songs.

I need to check out Mambo because I've never heard it!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 2, 2014 20:51

Slightly related video with Paul McCartney talking about the 60s London underground scene that I found very interesting:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-02 20:53 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 3, 2014 02:02

Cafaro
Hello all,
The band I jam with has decided to cover Band on the Run. Frankly, I never had much use for Macca since Revolver but I'm developing a deep appreciation for his Wings stuff.

Can y'all point me in the direction of some of his best solo "rockers"? Heavy guitar songs. I have recently acquired Band on the Run, Venus, and Speed and sorting my through them now.

I know many here love Macca and know his catalogue well. All suggestions (regarding this topic) are very welcome!

Have a listen to this one. Getting Closer, from 1979, off an album that's now out of print.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: April 3, 2014 02:41

jumpontopofmebaby
MACCA HARD ROCKERS?

There is not any!!!!!!!
Just like the stones right

Date: April 3, 2014 03:51

stonehearted, Back to the Egg isn't out of print? Can get on Amazon now.

Date: April 3, 2014 04:29

whitem8
stonehearted, Back to the Egg isn't out of print? Can get on Amazon now.

I just ordered a copy through Barnes and Noble and it ships tomorrow. It's used [condition "very good"], and it costs more than $40. And yes, it is out of print, because they aren't stocked in any record shops, whether chain or independent, and even second-hand record shops don't have any copies.

You forgot to mention the prices from Amazon of "new" copies, which are likely just unsold factory-sealed remainders that were pulled from the shelves, and which also are an indication that they are no longer commercially available [and the vinyl version from Amazon is "currently unavailable"]: $59.00 for the 1990 audio CD, $152.96 for another version of the 1990 CD, and $1,010 for an import of the 1993 version with extra tracks.

Alas, the same fate with 1978's London Town, which is a shame as it's really a good album with lots of hidden treasures.

Date: April 3, 2014 04:39

Very strange, they do have it for download. I have the album, the first cd and the 93 with extra tracks. As with London Town. London Town is a great album! I remember getting it when I was in High School and thought it was a bit strange and mellow. But it grew on me. Some fantastic stuff on it.
I bet the reason you can no longer get the CDs is that he will release them in deluxe.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 3, 2014 05:10

whitem8
Very strange, they do have it for download. I have the album, the first cd and the 93 with extra tracks. As with London Town. London Town is a great album! I remember getting it when I was in High School and thought it was a bit strange and mellow. But it grew on me. Some fantastic stuff on it.
I bet the reason you can no longer get the CDs is that he will release them in deluxe.

I was in Grade 7 or 8 when I got London Town. Mellow but some very cool songs!

Date: April 3, 2014 05:23

Yes, deluxe editions of London Town and Back To The Egg would be great! But it doesn't seem like McCartney is too keen on that period--he completely left out anything from Back To The Egg for the Wingspan comp, and it likely brings back sad memories. The reason he disbanded the Wings format was because his musicians kept leaving. London Town, like Band On The Run, was recorded around the core three of the Wings lineup of Denny, Linda and Paul--hence, the soft rock aspect. Back To The Egg was an attempt to get back to the basic rock of a full band sound, hence the album title, pointing toward where it all began--with rock n roll.

I'm awaiting shipment of a bootleg: The Alternate London Town, 30 seconds shy of 80 minutes worth of unreleased and alternate versions beyond the actual album. From the mail order catalog this comes from, they also have available the following:

Paul McCartney - Rock and Roll Jam Sessions - Paul and Denny Laine auditioning new band members in the late Seventies with R&B standards and rarities - excellent studio soundboards - nineteen tracks (43:01)

More from: [cdcollection.fcpages.com]

Date: April 3, 2014 06:18

I'll be interested to see how they are. I looked at the catalog and it doesn't list the songs, but this could be interesting.

I think another thing with the end of the wings was the bust. I think that is the main reason the wings folded, paul's bust in Japan. After that he didn't want to tour and Denny was PISSED. And the others too. And I think after that Macca was tired of having to manage it all and make it work, and why not just be Paul McCartney and do solo.

Date: April 3, 2014 07:07

I think the bust may have been intentional. There's a DVD from 2001 that looks back on the career of Wings, which features an interview done by his daughter Stella. Paul is discussing the bust, how when it happen he was relieved--"because then I didn't have to do the tour!"

However, there are also theories about the timing of the bust, and I wonder whether you've heard of them. Apparently, just days before, he telephoned the Dakota in New York in the hope of getting together with John. Yoko took the call, and Paul happened to mention that he'd just acquired a huge amount of super-potent grass. Then, next thing you know, he's being busted in Yoko's home country. Could it be that she telephoned ahead of Paul's arrival to tip off the customs agents?

Such speculations aside, you would have to think it might have been intentional on Paul's part as well--the pot was the first thing customs officials saw when they opened the luggage--it was placed right on top of everything, no attempt was made to even conceal it.

Date: April 4, 2014 16:07

Yeah I read that story about Yoko, and just find it too much like tabloid fodder to take seriously. I do think perhaps unintentionally, or subconsciously Macca self sabotaged. But the other story to consider is that it was Linda's fault. I think the two of them led a sheltered and pampered life that even packing their own suitcases is something of a chore! The accounts were that she packed the pot, and that when her suitcase was opened Macca instantly claimed it was his. By all accounts their marriage went through quite a rough patch after that, with some rumors of a split.

Either way, the two of them royally messed up and messed with the lives of their band members. Which led to the Wings folding.

Denny Lain did continue working with Paul a bit after the Wings folded. He is on Tug of War, Broadway, and Pipes of Piece. But then his financial woes led him to selling his writing rights on Mull of Kintyre, and their relationship soured. Also Denny's wife, a former groupie! was often whispering poisonous things about Linda and how Paul had ripped him off...so then his relationship with Paul became strained.

I did read recently that the two have been talking more and even some gossip about them releasing some stuff they had worked on together. I really liked Denny's work, and he was a good complement to Paul.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-04 16:08 by whitem8.

Date: April 5, 2014 00:17

Within the last 4 years, there was a picture of Denny and Paul backstage at one of his shows, so they definitely seem to be on better terms these days. I always wondered why he never guested with Paul after Wings.

Date: April 5, 2014 00:34

I think he hasn't appeared live because of the bad blood. But it is good to hear they are talking again. That started after Denny divorced his wife, and he made efforts at a rapprochement. I think it would be great if Denny did a studio album with Macca.

Date: April 5, 2014 01:31

Yeah, that makes sense. I didn't know there was any because he played with him still a bit in the 80s. But that makes sense.

Would have been cool if he guested when Paul started playing Venus And Mars/Rock Show/Jet the last couple years. Would love to see them tackle that, and as much as I love Paul's current touring band, there is a great partnership between Paul and Denny.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 23, 2014 17:45

Bob Dylan, Brian Wilson, Roger Daltrey for Paul McCartney tribute album

Read more at [www.uncut.co.uk]

Bob Dylan, Brian Wilson and Roger Daltrey are among the artists contributing to a Paul McCartney tribute album.

The Art Of McCartney features 32 artists who have recorded their covers with McCartney’s own backing musicians.

The line-up includes Bob Dylan, Brian Wilson, Billy Joel, Steve Miller Band, Jeff Lynne, Willie Nelson, Barry Gibb, Roger Daltrey, Jamie Cullum and Corinne Bailey Rae.

Boxset and collectors' editions of the album will be released in the summer, with the standard album version coming out later in the year.

It has yet to be confirmed which specific song Dylan has covered, although fansite Isis reports sources claim it is "Things We Said Today" from A Hard Day's Night.

Date: April 24, 2014 02:15

Just got fourth row to see Macca in Chicago, July 9th. Whew! Can't wait!

Date: April 24, 2014 02:28

Enjoy, whitem8. July 9 was the date I saw him in Boston last year. If he's back in my neck of the woods again this year, I'll have to go. Wish the Stones were eager to tour as often.

OT: Paul McCartney to play Candelstick Aug. 14th
Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: April 24, 2014 17:48

Just announced - no info on tickets yet.

And, of course, this was the venue for the Beatles last concert:

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Paul McCartney to play Candelstick Aug. 14th
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 24, 2014 20:07

mccparty
Just announced - no info on tickets yet.

And, of course, this was the venue for the Beatles last concert:

[www.youtube.com]

Candlestick! hmmmmm, thinking real hard about this one.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2105
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home