Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 67
Re: OT - "New" Paul McCartney Song
Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: August 29, 2013 16:35

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 29, 2013 16:55

After hearing it 3 times not really impressed but still undecided. Tatters and Come On said it right. I hope the rest of the album is stronger.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: August 29, 2013 17:01

The song itself sounds weak according to McCartney's standards, but the old fashioned sound and arrangement are very nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-29 17:48 by Wild Slivovitz.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 29, 2013 17:10

Agreed with the last two responses in this thread. Its not great, but its not horrible and sounds like classic Paul/Beatles. I guess its better he keeps putting more stuff out if he feels compelled.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: August 29, 2013 18:49

tatters
It sounds just like him.

Exactly! It has all of the elements of his best work, great melody, nice arrangement, Beatlesque ditty; etc. But, It's "just like" most of what he has been doing the last 43 years since the demise of that little band he was in before Wings. Which isn't to say I don't like it, I'm a fan. But this surely isn't going to turn you around if you are like so many on this board who are not.

If the whole album is in this vein it will probably be hailed as a return to form. Frankly, as a fan, his recent output that I enjoy most is when he goes off reservation a bit like Chaos & Creation and Electric Arguments, or even that weird collaboration with the remains of Nirvana. He can still push the envelope when he wants to, but Paul will be Paul and I, for one, am good with that!

Ross

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 29, 2013 18:58

It is one of those songs that you hear everything about Macca in that three minute romp. Some cool stuff, especially the production. It doesn't hit you in the face and wake you up to how incredible Macca can be, but it passes. And I find with a lot of his stuff it will sound better in the context of the entire album. I agree with you Ross, I love when he pushes it more, especially Electric Arguments, one of his strongest solo releases ever. So I look forward to hearing the entire album and putting this song into context.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 29, 2013 19:55

Pretty weak unfortunately, silly/uninspired title (Press/Press to Play fiasco anyone?), about on par with "Young Boy", way below "Fine Line" or "My Brave Face"...and his voice, ouch :-(

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: August 29, 2013 20:39

love paul, but this is overproduced rubbish, with ahint to the fabs

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: August 29, 2013 21:07

underwhelmed

Posted by: ruchin ()
Date: August 29, 2013 21:19

Not amazing for sure. Was expecting better, seems over produced. Hope only the Ronson tunes sound like this.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: August 29, 2013 21:31

Best to judge in the context of the whole album. And when is the Stones album coming out?

Re: OT: McCartney hires stars for new album
Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: August 29, 2013 22:44

what do want from 70+ year old guy, the blues in a chair. Might be slightly better than the mandoline tune from Memory.

Date: August 29, 2013 22:46

BlackHat
Best to judge in the context of the whole album. And when is the Stones album coming out?

I agree! At least he stretching out and doing something different in the past few albums

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 29, 2013 23:19

tralalalalalala

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 30, 2013 01:31

Regarding Macca's new song New from his new album New.... well, as with the title, inventiveness is not a word to describe it.

Someone posting above made a Press/Press to Play comparison. Well, by comparison, Press sounds like a gem--at least it had a fresh melody, different sound and structure from previous singles, and an injection of genuine enthusiasm. It was Paul McCartney still looking to move his music forward.

Production-wise, this track "New" has more layers than a bag of onions. It sounds like a soundtrack for the pilot episode of a sitcom that won't remain on the air past its third episode.

To say it sounds phoned in is not really accurate, more like it was faxed in.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: August 30, 2013 03:28

It's Autotuned. When is Autotune going to go away? It's not autotuned as much as Kesha or Katy Perry or Miley Cyrus, but it's definitely there. Then, there's the electronic handclaps. Ick. He should have hired Rick Rubin and gone back to basics. Not that it would be good, but at least it wouldn't be something he's not.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: August 30, 2013 03:43

Don't hate on Macca.

Unlike a certain band I know he releases new stuff every few years and doesn't attempt to financially rape his fans for concert tickets...His output since the Beatles Anthology has been mostly very good.

As for the song itself, it's pretty good. Early word on the album itself is GREAT. McCartney himself called it one of his best records.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: August 30, 2013 10:14

It's a matter of taste, folks. What does my personal taste "says"? That the last real exciting, great album coming from Macca is IMO "Band On Run" from 1973... Since then, every Macca's album sounds boring in my ears.

Date: August 30, 2013 16:23

Electrical Arguments! Like say the last stones CD was Tattoo you

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 30, 2013 16:38

My Brave Face - thanks for mentioning that one. Just loved it and still do.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 13, 2013 17:47

Nice little video posted by Paul ->

Unfortunately the voice is even more strained than on the actual recording...he should ask Mick for some tips!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: September 13, 2013 21:15

PAUL MCCARTNEY ANNOUNCES TRACK LISTING FOR ‘NEW’
by Dave Lifton September 13, 2013 12:28 PM

Paul McCartney is set to release ‘New,’ his first album of original music in six years, on Oct. 15. He’s just released the track listing, complete with a breakdown of which producers worked on each of the album’s 12 songs.

McCartney, who broke 50 years of precedent by working with four different producers on ‘New,’ explains in a press release his reason for the switch. “The original idea was to go to a couple of producers whose work I loved, to see who I got on with best,” he says. “But it turned out I got on with all of them! We made something really different with each producer, so I couldn’t choose and ended up working with all four. We just had a good time in different ways.”

Mark Ronson (who produced the titular first single), Paul Epworth and Ethan Johns each lent their talents to two songs, while Giles Martin produced the remaining six songs. Martin, the son of Beatles producer George Martin, is also credited as the executive producer of ‘New.’ McCartney believes that this decision resulted in a more diverse-sounding album than is usually expected from him.

“It’s funny, when I play people the album they’re surprised it’s me,” he adds. “A lot of the tracks are quite varied and not necessarily in a style you’d recognize as mine. I didn’t want it to all sound the same. I really enjoyed making this album. It’s always great to get a chance to get into the studio with a bunch of new songs and I was lucky to work with some very cool producers. We had a lot of fun.”

‘New’ Track Listing (producer listed in parentheses)

1. Save Us (Paul Epworth)
2. Alligator (Mark Ronson)
3. On My Way to Work (Giles Martin)
4. Queenie Eye (Paul Epworth)
5. Early Days (Ethan Johns)
6. New (Mark Ronson)
7. Appreciate (Giles Martin)
8. Everybody Out There (Giles Martin)
9. Hosanna (Ethan Johns)
10. I Can Bet (Giles Martin)
11. Looking At Her (Giles Martin)
12. Road (Giles Martin)

Source: [ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 15, 2013 07:05

James Kirk
Don't hate on Macca.

Unlike a certain band I know he releases new stuff every few years and doesn't attempt to financially rape his fans for concert tickets...His output since the Beatles Anthology has been mostly very good.

As for the song itself, it's pretty good. Early word on the album itself is GREAT. McCartney himself called it one of his best records.

thumbs up some friends saw him in New York about three years back said his show was great & affordable!

Date: September 16, 2013 01:36

Consulting firm says McCartney concert brought big bucks to City of Regina

by the Canadian Press September 11, 2013

REGINA - A Regina consulting firm says Paul McCartney's concert last month wasn't just a fun night of memories and music, it delivered a big boost to the city's economy.

McNair Business Development Inc. estimates the Aug. 14 show brought $9.4 million to the city's Gross Domestic Product.

About $2 million of that was from tourism, as about half of the 41,000 people at the concert were from out of town.

Not including the price of the ticket, the company estimated each visitor spent $120 on things like food and hotel rooms.

In all 605 jobs were also created by the show, both directly and indirectly.

Full story at: [www.edmontonjournal.com]

Date: September 18, 2013 00:51

McCartney returns to 'boring' EMI

Sir Paul McCartney's new album will see him return to an EMI record label - six years after he left the company and branded it "boring".

The musician will issue his next release, called New, next month and it has emerged today that it will come out through Virgin EMI in the UK.

He had been with EMI or its subsidiary Parlophone for 45 years until he exited in 2007, choosing to release his Memory Almost Full collection through a label associated with coffee chain Starbucks.

Sir Paul said in an interview after leaving the firm that he "dreaded going to see" its executives and the company's handling of his music had become "symbolic of the treadmill".

"Everybody at EMI had become part of the furniture. I'd be a couch; Coldplay are an armchair," he said.

Since then he has worked with rival music giant Universal but the firm went on to buy EMI and many of its associated labels. It set up Virgin EMI in March of this year by restructuring its labels and the company will release New on October 14.

Further details at: [www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk]

In other news, just 1 month after completing the U.S. leg of his "Out There" world tour, tickets went on pre-sale for his forthcoming tour of Japan.

November 12th – OSAKA, Osaka Dome
November 15th – FUKUOKA, Fukuoka Dome
November 18th – TOKYO, Tokyo Dome
November 19th – TOKYO, Tokyo Dome
November 21st – TOKYO, Tokyo Dome

Tickets went on general sale September 14.

Details at: [www.paulmccartney.com]

Posted by: gaigai ()
Date: September 18, 2013 07:08

Chaos and Creation in the Backyard was truly a masterpiece, maybe the best record of 2005.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 18, 2013 08:13

treaclefingers
Black Angel
WHO CARES?

lots of people by the looks of it.

Weee care...cool smiley

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: September 18, 2013 19:02

gaigai
Chaos and Creation in the Backyard was truly a masterpiece, maybe the best record of 2005.

Wake up!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 18, 2013 21:04

Come On
Hmmmm....last real good and exciting album coming from Sir Paul is in my opinion 'Flaming Pie' from 1996 soooooooo......

Then I guess he outlasted The Stones' relevance by 15 years, well done Macca! winking smiley

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: ash ()
Date: September 18, 2013 21:47

Ross
tatters
It sounds just like him.

Exactly! It has all of the elements of his best work, great melody, nice arrangement, Beatlesque ditty; etc. But, It's "just like" most of what he has been doing the last 43 years since the demise of that little band he was in before Wings. Which isn't to say I don't like it, I'm a fan. But this surely isn't going to turn you around if you are like so many on this board who are not.

If the whole album is in this vein it will probably be hailed as a return to form. Frankly, as a fan, his recent output that I enjoy most is when he goes off reservation a bit like Chaos & Creation and Electric Arguments, or even that weird collaboration with the remains of Nirvana. He can still push the envelope when he wants to, but Paul will be Paul and I, for one, am good with that!

Ross

Hi Ross - indeed you hit the nail on the head but i'm disappointed with that. Chaos,The Firemen and Macvana all really good stuff compared to much of Sir Mac's relatively turgid post-Beatle output. Mind you at least he still makes new records, experiments with different styles (classical, fireman, Nirvana - hurricane sandy cut me some slack was awesome) and keeps on keeping on unlike certain other bands i could mention on this Rolling Stones board. I mean shit, they did Doom and Gloom which i think was pretty good stuff by their recent standards but they are seriously bloody lazy in the creative department. The only really truly great Stones moments of the last decade or two have been Doom and Gloom and Mick Taylor coming on to remind everyone (including the band themselves) how great they can be if they can be arsed and push that envelope/walk the tightrope a bit instead of timing themselves to the light show and their tax position. What a serious tragedy it is when Macca is more artistically vital than the Stones.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1826
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home