Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Brian Jonestown Massacre - are they good?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: April 19, 2005 09:38

[www.brianjonestownmassacre.com]

Named in tribute to the legendary Rolling Stones guitarist and his influence in introducing Eastern culture and music into the world of Western rock and roll, the Brian Jonestown Massacre formed in San Francisco, California in 1990. Some 40 different members passed through the group's ranks over the next half of the decade, but throughout their focal point remained singer/guitarist Anton Newcombe, who along with bassist Matt Hollywood, guitarist Dean Taylor, organist Mara Regal, accordionist Dawn Thomas, drummer Brian Glaze and Spokesman for the Revolution Joel Gion recorded the Massacre's 1995 shoegazer-influenced debut LP Methodrone. A collection of early recordings, Spacegirl and Other Favorites, followed on the band's own Tangible label in early 1996, and was the first of four Brian Jonestown Massacre LPs to appear that year; next up was the brilliant Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request, a full-blown homage to the Stones' glorious psychedelic-era excesses. Recorded live in the studio, the grittier Take It From the Man! found the band exploring even broader territory; finally, the year ended with the release of Thank God for Mental Illness, a showcase for strong country and blues leanings. In 1997, the BJM -- now consisting of Newcombe, Hollywood, Gion, Taylor, guitarists Jeff Davies and Peter Hayes, and drummer Brad Artley -- resurfaced with Give It Back! Upon signing to TVT, they released Strung Out in Heaven the following year; an EP, Bringing It All Back Home Again, appeared on the Which label in 1999. ~ Jason Ankeny, All Music Guide
Written by Jason Ankeny

Re: The Brian Jonestown Massacre - are they good?
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 19, 2005 15:01

They are EXCELLENT! But have nothing to do with the Stones. Even if the second one is called "Satanic...". Their leader is considered by some people to be a genius. A very volatile one. I like them a lot.
A couple of years back there was some kind of documentary filmed I think. It focused on him and his counterpart of the Dandy Warhols. I believe the basic premise was to underscore the two widely differing approaches to music, the business of, to art itself of these two artists.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 19, 2005 22:53

The movie is called "Dig" just released down here, rates high but haven't seen it yet.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 19, 2005 23:14

Saw them a few years ago at Sunset Junction. Quite possibly one of the worst bands I have ever seen.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 20, 2005 04:28

I know a guy that almost joined the band.
Said the leader is eccentric, but tries too hard TOO BE eccentric.

Posted by: MisterD ()
Date: April 20, 2005 07:15

I know the singer in Brian Jonestown. He's had a terrible drug addiction for a long time. Genious? I don't think so. Interesting character? Maybe, as long as he's not your roomate.
The band doesn't play too much anymore. They've had more members than Menudo.

Date: October 31, 2005 03:57

Brian Jones died for your sins.

Posted by: letitbleed ()
Date: October 31, 2005 06:58

This guy is hardly a genious. He is a drug addict. He doesn't even make music anymore. He's lucky to be alive. But hey, that's rock n roll right?

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: October 31, 2005 11:41

The movie Dig is worth seeing, how to do every thing wrong in the music biz.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 31, 2005 15:05

Note I didn't call him a genius. I said he was being called a genius by some peoples. But today after having listened to a good bunch of their stuff I have to say they really suck. Live I dug them because they had this hilarious tambourine player. This real queen who only shakes his butt and makes faces. I love him but he doesn't shine on the albums obviously. Plus they fired him LOL

Posted by: #6 ()
Date: October 31, 2005 15:50

When they're good at a concert they are amazing. When its not going well on stage - i.e. when Anton Newcombe (the "leader" of BJM and only consistent member) is in a bad mood, they're not good and in fact eminate a bad vibe on stage.

That said they're DEFINITELY worth seeing live. Anton is an extremely, extremely talented musician and songwriter. He also has a lot of issues to do with anger, abandonment, etc. etc. To clarify an above posting I don't think he's been on dope for a few years but he definetly drinks too much.

They're records don't sound as good as they can be live - the records are a bit over-produced.

'Dig' is also worth seeing. The Dandy Warhols come off much worse in my opinion than Anton/BJM do. The Dandy Warhols got 'sucessful'playing bland corporate rock. There are some hilarious scenes where they incredulously wonder why their major label (Capitol) is having them shot a video in a certain way and why their album is being produced and marketed in way with which they're not totally comfortable - ignorant chumps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1828
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home