Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4849505152535455565758Next
Current Page: 53 of 58
Re: 'Sticky Fingers' rereleased - 8/9 June
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 13, 2015 19:30

I was thinking of Marquee'71 too, now I'm more inclined to think it stems from the London late'69 gigs. The Dec. 14 date has my preference.

That would mean the Stones have these two gigs + rehearsals (and possibly the shows played on Dec.21) in their vaults in superb quality! thumbs up

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: June 13, 2015 19:40

So i'm not the only one.

Marquee would be the obvioust option but What about Texas rehearsals?
I hear the version from ladies & gentlemen 72 in that "alternate"

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: June 13, 2015 21:30

OutOfTime
dcba
marclaff
Personally, i've a problem with Dead Flowers "alternate".
It doesn't sound like a demo or a studio version.

For me it's completely live (near the Texas 72 version) :
Rehearsals before a tour (70, 71 or even 72)?
Live known version with audience unheard ?
Live unknown version ?

What do you think...

Certainly no studio outtake. To me it sounds like a rehearsal for the Marquee Club show in 1971.

Marquee or a pre-show 1970 soundcheck/rehearsal? Malmoe'70 or another gig?

Or (let's be adventurous) a pre-show soundcheck/rehearsal for the Saville Theatre or the Lyceum Theatre late 1969 shows...?

I imagine that :
they had recorded DF (acoustic version) in the studio a few days before and at the Saville or the Lyceum someone (Keith?) decided to try the song in an all electric arrangement.

It worked pretty well so they kept the idea for the following tour (Euro 1970) or as there are no setlists for these London'69 it's possible they tested an electric DF live at these London shows.

Why put on the SF reissue a live/soundcheck version? Because the alt. studio version of DF has been bootlegged since 1992 ("Time Trip" vol.1/2) and it's not drastically different from the SF version. Hence the finding of this electric take.

And Herr Zentgraf has an entry on 1969-12-14 which he describes as "Rehearsals for the upcoming shows" so I'd place the DF version as stemming from this!

Like my theory? drinking smiley

I agree. This version of Dead Flowers sounds like a rehearsal for a show. Only question is which show. We know for sure the Marquee rehearsals were recorded and filmed.[/quote]

A live rehearsal with 3 guitars??? Two of them sounding like Taylor?? No way!

Date: June 13, 2015 22:00

muenke

dcba

Herr Zentgraf has an entry on 1969-12-14 which he describes as "Rehearsals for the upcoming shows" so I'd place the DF version as stemming from this!

I agree. This version of Dead Flowers sounds like a rehearsal for a show. Only question is which show. We know for sure the Marquee rehearsals were recorded and filmed.

A live rehearsal with 3 guitars??? Two of them sounding like Taylor?? No way![/quote]

Maybe they overdubbed the 3rd guitar in Jan/Feb. 1970 at the same time they added a "few" things to the raw GYYO tapes?

Jagger : "Oi Mick! I know Keef erased some of the things you played during the NYC concerts last year but here's sth that'll soothe you : could you play a few nice things on this take of Flowers?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-13 22:06 by dcba.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: June 13, 2015 22:06

dcba
muenke

dcba

Herr Zentgraf has an entry on 1969-12-14 which he describes as "Rehearsals for the upcoming shows" so I'd place the DF version as stemming from this!

I agree. This version of Dead Flowers sounds like a rehearsal for a show. Only question is which show. We know for sure the Marquee rehearsals were recorded and filmed.

A live rehearsal with 3 guitars??? Two of them sounding like Taylor?? No way!

Maybe they overdubbed the 3rd guitar in Jan/Feb. 1970 at the same time they added a "few" things to the raw GYYO tapes?[/quote]

Or Taylor did it in 2015!grinning smiley

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: June 14, 2015 02:31

First debuts on the charts:

#2 Netherlands
#5 Germany
#6 Ireland
#36 Sweden

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: June 14, 2015 09:28

charliesgood
you know I just got the latest tull release which includes a nice booklet a live show unreleased songs and two dvds with hi res options for 40 bucks .For this superdeluxe edition you are paying over a hundred extra bucks for a booklet and the leeds disc seems a little excessive btw you can the booklet and the marque dvd at best buy for 35 bucks

A. No matter how they dress it up, it's still a Jethro Tull re-issue vs. a Stones re-issue. stratospheric difference as far as interest and market.

B. The Super Deluxe does not come with a "booklet" - it's a hardcover book that you can only get with that format. Much more extensive than the CD booklet. And you get all the other crap - prints etc. Yes, the Leeds is a teaser to get more hardcores to buy the Super Deluxe, and the outtakes/Roundhouse tracks are the bait for the other fans to buy, well, anything actually since this is the same remaster that came out in 2009.

C. This stuff is, indeed, expensive, and overpriced. However, this is how the band makes any money on album releases these days. (Not that they have to make money at all....)

Since the dawning of digital music, album sales have plummeted. It used to be that bands made money on albums and used tours to promote them. Now the near complete majority of their income is from touring, and album/music sales are incidental.

So these reissues get the "collectors" treatment like other bands do. But The Stones, unlike Zeppelin for instance, can afford to price them so high since they still generate so much money touring. Zeppelin doesn't, and has a smaller catalog, so they have to make theirs more accessible to get the sales.

Think of how many studio albums The Stones put out in the years 1971-1989(11) versus how many studio albums they have put out from 1990- 2015 (3)**. The rest have been live albums and greatest hits compilations, and, I believe, a total of 8 other new songs scattered over those 25 years.

Dressing up old outtakes doesn't really count as new music, and those are simply used to sell their back catalog yet again because they can actually generate income off of those albums more than anything new.

**(I use the 89/90 mark because that's when touring changed from local/regional to global - and The Stones/CPI were the ones to, essentially, pioneer that change with the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle World Tour.)

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 15, 2015 01:38

The Rolling Stones' 'Sticky Fingers' Heading Back to Top 10 on Billboard 200 Chart

By Keith Caulfield | June 12, 2015

Mick Jagger onstage at San Diego’s Petco Park kicking off the Rolling Stones' 2015 Zip Code Tour on May 24, 2015. Photo: Jeff Kravitz

The reissue of the classic No. 1 album follows the group's revamps of "Exile on Main St." and "Some Girls."

The Rolling Stones’ reissue of its classic No. 1 album Sticky Fingers is heading back to the top 10 of the Billboard 200 chart for the first time since its 1971 release. Industry forecasters suggest the revamped set -- which was remastered and re-released on June 8 in a variety of formats -- may move around 35,000 equivalent album units in the week ending June 14.

The Billboard 200 chart ranks the most popular albums of the week based on multi-metric consumption, which includes traditional album sales, track equivalent albums (TEA) and streaming equivalent albums (SEA). The chart’s new top 10 will be revealed on Wednesday, June 18.

Sticky Fingers -- which spent four weeks at No. 1 in 1971 -- has been absent from the tally since 1981. For charting and sales tracking purposes, nearly all versions of the album will be linked together on Billboard’s charts and in Nielsen Music’s tracking system. (One permutation of the album, dubbed the Super Deluxe edition, will track and chart separately due to its extensive addition of content. That version could move around 10,000 units.)

The reissued Sticky Fingers is the third expanded reboot that The Rolling Stones have released in recent years. It follows the 2010 revamp of its 1972 No. 1 Exile on Main St. and the 2011 reissue of the 1978 No. 1 Some Girls. (The reissue of Exile re-entered at No. 2 on the Billboard 200, while Some Girls returned at No. 46.)

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: June 15, 2015 04:40

were the only special issues....the Best Buy Cd Single with Tshirt and Target Deluxe 2 disk SF plus vinyl Album? just wondering. thanks

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 15, 2015 04:41

So is the Super Deluxe limited edition? And if so how many?

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 15, 2015 05:20

How about a standalone vinyl edition of the complete Leeds show? They supposedly played Prodigal Son between Stray Cat and Love in Vain. Any such release shouldn't be limited to a few thousand copies for Record Store Day.

Posted by: hypnohighball ()
Date: June 15, 2015 06:02

sweet neo con
were the only special issues....the Best Buy Cd Single with Tshirt and Target Deluxe 2 disk SF plus vinyl Album? just wondering. thanks

In the UK HMV had a t-shirt like the Best Buy one but no cd single.

Best Buy had the Deluxe box with a code for the 7" single to be mailed to you at no extra cost.

That's all I know of except the wacky Japanese stuff. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: hypnohighball ()
Date: June 15, 2015 06:03

kovach
So is the Super Deluxe limited edition? And if so how many?

I hears someone say 200,000 or was it 2,000?

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: June 15, 2015 07:03

Anyone know if it will be available on HD tracks?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 15, 2015 13:00

DrPete

Anyone know if it will be available on HD tracks?

Dunno - it seems that Universal Music has not (yet) made a High-Res version, e.g. for Blu-ray Audio. The question is whether the Audio sources for CD2/CD3 are sufficient for HD.

The 2011 DSD flat-transfers of 'Sticky Fingers' from the analogue Master-Tapes were available on japanese SACD and SHM-CD and as Download on e-onkyo Japan, but as far as I know officially nowhere else ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-15 13:05 by Irix.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: June 15, 2015 13:21

Hi all,

Is this review by Paul Simister from amazon.co.uk accurate, i.e. all the material is available elsewhere?

Paul Simister amazon.co.uk Sticky Fingers (Super Deluxe) Review

If so, I ain't gonna be buying this until the price drops.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 15, 2015 13:28

SonicDreamer
Hi all,

Is this review by Paul Simister from amazon.co.uk accurate, i.e. all the material is available elsewhere?

Cheers,
SonicD

the reviewer refers to the songs, not the performances!

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: June 15, 2015 13:36

SonicDreamer
Hi all,

Cheers,
SonicD

If this guy is unable to make the diffence between a 1969 live version of "Live With Me" or "Stray Cat Blues" and 1971 ones, it is hopeless.

This guy has obviously a really poor ear and knowledge of stones music.

One of the stupiest and useless review i have read since a long time.
Thanks for the link, always funny to read.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 15, 2015 13:54

mitch
SonicDreamer
Hi all,

Cheers,
SonicD

If this guy is unable to make the diffence between a 1969 live version of "Live With Me" or "Stray Cat Blues" and 1971 ones, it is hopeless.

This guy has obviously a really poor ear and knowledge of stones music.

One of the stupiest and useless review i have read since a long time.
Thanks for the link, always funny to read.

Yes, who remarks no difference particularly between the SF-version from Leeds and the Deluxe-version from Ya Ya's is definitely deaf ...

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 15, 2015 13:59

SonicDreamer
Hi all,

Cheers,
SonicD

No, he's quite wrong. The Roundhouse show has never been released before, nor has the Leeds show.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: June 15, 2015 14:11

Father Ted
SonicDreamer
Hi all,

Cheers,
SonicD

No, he's quite wrong. The Roundhouse show has never been released before, nor has the Leeds show.

I think he means that the same songs are on YaYas

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 15, 2015 14:29

hockenheim95
Father Ted
SonicDreamer
Hi all,

Cheers,
SonicD

On that basis, he'd better disregard a sizeable chunk of the Stones live back catalogue.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 15, 2015 15:10

SonicDreamer
Hi all,

Cheers,
SonicD

I think it's a fair review given the price asked for the super deluxe box set. He doesn't say that the same material is available elsewhere, he says the set lists between 1969 and 1973 look quite similar and this particular concert from 1971 is maybe not the best of the three (GYYYO, Leeds and Brussels). If you already have GYYYO ad Brussels Affair maybe you don't need to pay £72,99 for this one. As the reviewer says, if you're a Stones fan you already know you need this concert, if not maybe you can skip this one or just get the mp3 version...

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 15, 2015 23:03

kowalski
SonicDreamer
Hi all,

Cheers,
SonicD

I think it's a fair review given the price asked for the super deluxe box set. He doesn't say that the same material is available elsewhere, he says the set lists between 1969 and 1973 look quite similar and this particular concert from 1971 is maybe not the best of the three (GYYYO, Leeds and Brussels). If you already have GYYYO ad Brussels Affair maybe you don't need to pay £72,99 for this one. As the reviewer says, if you're a Stones fan you already know you need this concert, if not maybe you can skip this one or just get the mp3 version...

Or just listen to it on YT (and dl it if you want to):

Date: June 16, 2015 01:39

hockenheim95

If he hasn't realized the sryle of the band and the way they perform these same sonhs has dramatically changed, well... confused smiley

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: June 16, 2015 10:07

kowalski
Irix
milio77

And maybe give it a try at 7 digital...

If you try Qobuz and buy the lossless FLAC/WAV format, then you can additionally download the lossy 320kps AAC/MP3 version. This makes sense if you want the lossless FLAC/WAV for the HDD-Player plus the lossy 320kps AAC/MP3 for the Smartphone/Tablet - and you don't have to convert it by yourself ....

(Qobuz is available in France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, BeNeLux, UK, Ireland)

That's why Qobuz has currently the best offer. If you buy a CD quality download (FLAC, AIFF, WAV, etc) you also get the AAC (iTunes) version and the MP3 (Google Play) version for the same price.

Hey! I didn`t want to leave your inputs without appreciation.

Qobuz seems to have the best offer but I'm in Spain and it's not available here. Maybe I should have mentioned it in the first place... grinning smiley

Anyway, I don't have much time to listen to music properly at home, so I finally got it from iTunes for my iPod and that will do for now.

And leaving the formats and audio quality question aside... this Superdeluxe edition is giving me soooo much joy... The live stuff, although already partially known is just magnificent... Those renditions of Stray Cat Blues, Love in Vain, Midnight Rambler... they are simply smoking, raw and powerful.

I always had the impression that the Mick Taylor years didn't have a proper live release that showed the real sound of this band with this line up. Ya-ya's Out and Ladies and Gentleman are great but I don`t Know... To me it's like they "lack" a bit of Mick Taylor soloing and other details. I'm glad we had official releases of Brussels, the Roundhouse and Leeds University the last few years...

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: June 16, 2015 17:30

I bought the 2Lp version.
The second album sounds very good to my ears.
I just miss the roundhouse rambler.

Date: June 17, 2015 13:24

I purchased the Treacle Fingers LP set today. £30, shipping included. I don't know if that's expensive, but I'm just glad I managed to get this one, as I thought I had missed this limited release.

I bought it here: [www.recordstore.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-17 13:26 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 17, 2015 14:33

DandelionPowderman
I purchased the Treacle Fingers LP set today. £30, shipping included. I don't know if that's expensive, but I'm just glad I managed to get this one, as I thought I had missed this limited release.

I bought it here: [www.recordstore.co.uk]

A certain Bill Wyman is #1 on the preorder list from that site...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 17, 2015 14:43

To sum up the point about what the reviewer said:

No Reply, you have misunderstood what I meant. I was referring to the same songs not versions between the 1971 concerts and the 1969 Ya Ya's recording and the 1973 Brussels recording. Hence my comment "you need to ask yourself whether these tracks are sufficiently different to justify buying again".

I thought I had made my meaning clear but to avoid confusion I have added "Do you want 1969 and 1971 versions of the same songs?" I also go on to say that I thought Mick Taylor was tentative in 1969 but more confident in 1971.

My overall point remains the same, the set list is too close to Ya Ya's.

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4849505152535455565758Next
Current Page: 53 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1459
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home