Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4849505152535455565758Next
Current Page: 57 of 58
Re: 'Sticky Fingers' rereleased - 8/9 June
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 30, 2015 01:03

nick
GasLightStreet
What are the albums with just the tongue? And is one of those Doom And Gloom?

Plundered My Soul - US Promo CD
Gimme Shelter - UK Radio Promo CD
Sweet Summer Sun - Japan Extra Bonus CD
Doom & Gloom - UK Promo CD

WTF!!!!!!!!!!

Really. So... where is that? I mean, what city/country/whatever? That's crazy. I got the Plundered promo... with the UK mix and LP mix. Supreme. But to have those others... that would be sweet.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 3, 2015 05:31

To go along with the SF release, Rolling Stone Mag has a list of top five Stones boots:

5 Essential Rolling Stones Bootlegs
'Get Your Leeds Lungs Out' has finally gotten an official release, but there are still plenty of high quality unofficial live recordings to dig into

Given that the Who's Live at Leeds is, by just about any estimation, one of the half dozen or so greatest in-concert albums in rock & roll history, it feels a bit cheeky suggesting that it might not even be the best one recorded in Leeds. But if you're into bootlegs, you've known for some time that the Rolling Stones had one of their finest nights in that same place where the Who all but bodily launched themselves into the hard rock canon. That performance is captured on a bootleg called Get Your Leeds Lungs Out, one of those field documents that can inspire all sorts of arguments amongst the cognoscenti.
You might, for instance, declare that recording from March 13th, 1971 the best thing the Stones ever did – suck it, Beggars Banquet – even though they couldn't be arsed to put out this singular document that melds grace, raw power, heartbreak, the soaring dual-guitar attacks of Messrs. Richards and Taylor, and the piss and panache of Mick Jagger in a manner quite beyond any official Stones product.

But if you've never wandered down the bootleg rabbit hole and were curious, the Stones' Leeds set has finally gained its sanctioned release on the Super Deluxe Edition of Sticky Fingers, tucked away on disc number three. This is the Stones saying farewell to England – thank the taxman for that – in a club setting, minus the outright terror of 1970's Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out, amidst a whole lot of bendy flow and slinking grooves and country nods bestride shuffling blues and torquing rhythms.

"Dead Flowers" is the kind of Stones song that no one calls an out-and-out classic, and yet it seems to rate as a favorite for many people, listeners who, doubtless, would want this killer live version. It kicks off everything here, Jagger giving voice to the pain of unrequited love in the clipped country accent of a Southern trucker, while Mick Taylor's guitar lines flow like liquid citrine underneath.

We've clearly joined the gig in medias res, but that simply serves to make everything feel more lived in, more like an experience and less like a straight-up show. "Stray Cat Blues" is full-on, glorious salacity – the line about a friend with an even wider, well, orifice, has a Chaucerian vulgarity to it that Jagger clearly relishes here – whereas "Love in Vain," has what might be the best solo Taylor ever uncorked, and comes off like something dredged up from the deepest loam of the Delta.

And then there is "Satisfaction," a number that, back on the 1969 tour, was like some asp taking musical form on the stage, with that attacking, slithering riff, and just having at you. Here, remarkably, it's a Slim Harpo groover, a rare blues shuffle in which every part is clearly delineated, from Charlie Watts' backbeat to the scud of Bill Wyman's bass, to the tandem guitars, to Jagger's horn-like vocal, which plays off the original 1965 single's horn-like riff. Come the closing romp through Chuck Berry's "Let it Rock," it is balls-on-the-table time, and a self-referential directive to basically rock harder than anyone else could. Call it a mighty, Leedsian reckoning. These are the Stones you need to hear.

On that score, here are five other stellar selections from that live bootleg basement, spanning the band's glory run, from its early days to the Exile era.

'Live! On the BBC' (1963 – 1965)
[www.youtube.com]
The Beatles get almost all of the pub for their enormous bank of on-air BBC recordings, but the Stones were often in fine fettle themselves in the early 1960s for Auntie Beeb. The surviving material is nowhere near as copious as with the Beatles stuff, so no real need to cherry pick. Take it all in, from a cover of Arthur Alexander's "You Better Move On" – which is both their silkiest and siltiest rhythm and blues – to a shit-stomping surge through "Hi-Heeled Sneakers," to a neatly confident version of "The Last Time."

'In Action' (1966)
[www.youtube.com]
1966 was a strange time for live rock: Dylan had his best ever tour, the Beatles called it quits, the Yardbirds played on incongruous teenybopper package tours and Cream and Hendrix were just getting going. And, oh yeah: the Stones rocked the hell out of Hawaii in June. The Stones' '66 sound was unlike any they'd feature in their career, all metallic and streamlined, a sort of futuristic blues. It's hard to imagine them doing "Paint It Black" live, but you get just that in Honolulu, plus little blasts of otherwordliness in "Mothers Little Helper" and "19th Nervous Breakdown." Stones set lists don't get rarer than this one.

'A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss' (1967)
[www.youtube.com]
Or do they? Come the next year, when everyone, Stones included, was up to all manner of high-falutin' studio legerdemain, the Stones played Paris in the spring and attempted to recreate the horn dog bonhomie of "Goin Home" on the stage. There's also a version of "Let's Spend the Night Together," another mega-rarity, and "Ruby Tuesday," about as tricky a song from their catalog to try live. And while the Summer of Love was drawing nigh, Jagger sounds, at times, as if he'd like to punch someone in the throat.

'San Diego '69' (1969)
[www.youtube.com]
The Stones' 1969 tour produced both Ya-Ya's and Live'r Than You'll Ever Be, one of the essential early boots, recorded in Oakland, but their November 10th San Diego set is every bit as good. Yes, the sound is boxy, but nothing is going to rein in something like this version of "Sympathy for the Devil." Richards solos first, then Taylor, and the coda that comes swaggering out of that badassery might be the most intense thing they ever did

'Philadelphia Special' (1972)
[www.youtube.com]
Documenting two July Philly gigs from 1972, the bootleg Philadelphia Special is that other Stones recording you could put up there with the Leeds set as being of a piece with any of the band's top records. The Stones are careening awfully close to the edge here, playing faster than they had since the pilled up days of their molten early blues experiments, but now there is dexterity, and a lot of it comes from Mick Taylor. "All Down the Line" torches the Exile version, ditto "Rip This Joint," and "Bye Bye Johnny" is this boot's Chuck Berry valentine to match Leeds' "Let It Rock." Ain't nothing you can bring that you can bring harder than this.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 3, 2015 05:33

while Mick Taylor's guitar lines flow like liquid citrine underneath.

Now that's a nice line ain't it ......

ROCKMAN

Sticky Fingers - Spotify Landmark Edition
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 9, 2015 02:45

Check out the new Spotify Landmark Edition, available now.
It features a new interview with Mick Jagger on various topics regarding the Sticky Fingers album and bonus tracks.

Re: Sticky Fingers - Spotify Landmark Edition
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 9, 2015 02:48

I'm sure it's cool but geez, how many ways are these guys going to try to make money from me off the same 10 songs?

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 9, 2015 03:12

Naturalust
I'm sure it's cool but geez, how many ways are these guys going to try to make money from me off the same 10 songs?

Errr... They are not...
It's for free. Please check up on it, before assuming...

Date: July 9, 2015 03:24

Blueranger
Naturalust

Errr... They are not...
It's for free. Please check up on it, before assuming...

Well my apologies for not doing my homework. I'm obviously not a Spotify subscriber and thought they were still selling this release. Perhaps you could paraphrase the highlights of the Mick interview for us. Thanks.

SWAY - New Credits with Keith - Sticky Fingers Reissue
Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: July 16, 2015 07:30

For the longest time it was believed that Keith didn't play on
Sway or Moonlight Mile.

Looking at the credits of the new Sticky Fingers reissue, he is now
credited with electric and acoustic guitar on SWAY.

What's up with that?

What's correct...the old or the new credits?

I always had a hard time believing he wasn't on SWAY but I could understand
him not being on Moonlight Mile...a very Mick Taylor track.

Pecman

Re: SWAY - New Credits with Keith - Sticky Fingers Reissue
Date: July 16, 2015 07:38

Its a great question Pecman, discussed briefly here before. Either it was mistake in the credits (doubtful) or some weird attempt to justify Keith getting performance credits for this tune while MT has been denied them since 1982, imo.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 16, 2015 08:01

That's very odd?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 16, 2015 11:45

And Keith had this exchange around 40 LICKS time with Q Magazine:

KEITH: "Mick can't play guitar."

Q: "But Mick plays rhythm on SWAY."

KEITH: "As I said, Mick can't play guitar."

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 16, 2015 16:09

Does it still have Taylor on guitar for Brown Sugar?

I don't hear an acoustic on Sway, and I only hear a Jagger electric, besides Taylor.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 16, 2015 16:28

Essential ingredients are always listed in a proper recipe.

That's Keith's guitar through Keith's amp in Keith's tuning while Keith was nearby slightly incapacitated...Its a Keith tune

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 16, 2015 16:58

Title5Take1

Keith is a great bunch of guys

Date: July 16, 2015 17:07

Munichhilton
Essential ingredients are always listed in a proper recipe.

That's Keith's guitar through Keith's amp in Keith's tuning while Keith was nearby slightly incapacitated...Its a Keith tune

LOL! Finally an answer that makes sense. The tune was obviously inside Keith's guitar.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: July 16, 2015 18:37

Pecman
For the longest time it was believed that Keith didn't play on
Sway or Moonlight Mile.

Looking at the credits of the new Sticky Fingers reissue, he is now
credited with electric and acoustic guitar on SWAY.

What's up with that?

What's correct...the old or the new credits?

I always had a hard time believing he wasn't on SWAY but I could understand
him not being on Moonlight Mile...a very Mick Taylor track.

Pecman

It took me 20 years to realize it was Jagger and not Richards. And another 23 years to realize it was Richards and not Jagger. Correct me if I'm right.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 16, 2015 19:51

treaclefingers
Title5Take1

Plus he can't sing.
winking smiley

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: July 16, 2015 21:18

So did Keith play on it or not?

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 16, 2015 21:35

Brstonesfan
So did Keith play on it or not?

No, he did not.

Date: July 16, 2015 23:56

jamesfdouglas
treaclefingers
Title5Take1

Plus he can't sing.
winking smiley

He's the only one that CAN sing those songs...Andrea Bocelli just wouldn't due Little T&A justice...

Paul Anka could probably pull off Losing My Touch but why? Keith already gave it a home...

Tom Jones would ruin Slipping Away...

Date: July 17, 2015 00:10

Munichhilton
jamesfdouglas
treaclefingers
Title5Take1

Plus he can't sing.
winking smiley

He's the only one that CAN sing those songs...Andrea Bocelli just wouldn't due Little T&A justice...

Paul Anka could probably pull off Losing My Touch but why? Keith already gave it a home...

eye popping smiley You're right! You don't see a lot of people covering Keith's songs vocal wise. I think Tom Waits and Mick Jagger could probably do some of them them a bit of justice though.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: July 17, 2015 00:19

Title5Take1

Hahahaha!!!! I've heard him compliment Mick's guitar playing before. I love it
when he comes up with the petty insults out of the blue for no reason. Still laughing as I type.

Date: July 17, 2015 00:31

Naturalust
Munichhilton
jamesfdouglas
treaclefingers
Title5Take1

Plus he can't sing.
winking smiley

eye popping smiley You're right! You don't see a lot of people covering Keith's songs vocal wise. I think Tom Waits and Mick Jagger could probably do some of them them a bit of justice though.

Thats just it
Tom Waits and Mick Jagger can't sing either!
Joe Strummer could do it too...why? Cause HE CAN'T SING!!!

You want singing seek out the Eagles or ABBA

Date: July 17, 2015 00:37

Leonard Cohen ?

Date: July 17, 2015 00:40

Munichhilton
Naturalust
Munichhilton
jamesfdouglas
treaclefingers
Title5Take1

Plus he can't sing.
winking smiley

Thats just it

Brother you are on to something there. Probably why Chuck and Darryl aren't particularly good matches for the Stones either...because they can play! eye popping smiley

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 17, 2015 00:50

And Charlie played on YCAGWYW ?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: July 17, 2015 00:55

powerage78
And Charlie played on YCAGWYW ?

No, and I don't think he is credited either. Here's quotes from Al Kooper and Charlie about it from timeisonourside.

Jimmy Miller sat down at the drums and remained there playing on the take. Charlie was not happy but was graceful about it. Mick and Keith played acoustic guitars, I played piano, Bill was on bass and Brian lay on his stomach in the corner reading an article on botany throughout the proceedings. I then overdubbed the organ.
- Al Kooper

Jimmy Miller played drums on a couple of tracks on Let It Bleed, including You Can't Always Get What You Want, which I subsequently copied. That's how good Jimmy was at hearing songs. He wasn't a great drummer, but he was great at playing drums on records, which is a completely different thing. You Can't Always Get What You Want is a great drum track. Jimmy actually made me stop and think again about the way I played drums in the studio and I became a much better drummer in the studio thanks to him.
- Charlie Watts, 2003

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 17, 2015 03:35

Naturalust
Munichhilton
Naturalust
Munichhilton
jamesfdouglas
treaclefingers
Title5Take1

Plus he can't sing.
winking smiley

Thats just it

Brother you are on to something there. Probably why Chuck and Darryl aren't particularly good matches for the Stones either...because they can play! eye popping smiley

'Lust...you actually made me chortle out loud.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 17, 2015 17:36

Jimmy Miller played on YCAGWYW and that's it.

Keith did not play acoustic or any stringed instrument on Sway.

So this SF reissue - does the 2009 reissue liner notes say the same thing? It seems that not only do the Stones get their albums poorly remastered, they can't get their song facts correct either.

Posted by: skl127 ()
Date: September 12, 2015 18:33

The only things I don't like about this re-release are

You Gotta Move is the take with the audio 'glitch' near the end - there is a clean version available, why didn't they use that one?

Liner notes would have been great on the 2 CD release, although the pictures are quite good, more info on the tongue creation, Kali and all that, would have been nice, John Pasche needs more recognition - it is after all a worldwide-known logo - (one of) the first ever logo used by a band?

Cheers

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4849505152535455565758Next
Current Page: 57 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home