Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4849505152535455565758Next
Current Page: 54 of 58
Re: 'Sticky Fingers' rereleased - 8/9 June
Date: June 17, 2015 14:59

kowalski
DandelionPowderman
I purchased the Treacle Fingers LP set today. £30, shipping included. I don't know if that's expensive, but I'm just glad I managed to get this one, as I thought I had missed this limited release.

I bought it here: [www.recordstore.co.uk]

A certain Bill Wyman is #1 on the preorder list from that site...

Yeah, I noticed smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-17 15:00 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: June 17, 2015 15:02

GasLightStreet
To sum up the point about what the reviewer said:

No Reply, you have misunderstood what I meant. I was referring to the same songs not versions between the 1971 concerts and the 1969 Ya Ya's recording and the 1973 Brussels recording. Hence my comment "you need to ask yourself whether these tracks are sufficiently different to justify buying again".

I thought I had made my meaning clear but to avoid confusion I have added "Do you want 1969 and 1971 versions of the same songs?" I also go on to say that I thought Mick Taylor was tentative in 1969 but more confident in 1971.

My overall point remains the same, the set list is too close to Ya Ya's.

[www.amazon.co.uk]

I think I have very understand what he meant and my overall point remains the same too: This dude has no ear and/or understand nothing into stones music.
The live arrangement are so drastically different between 69 and 71 the same setlist gave totally different shows (You didn't have Keys nor Hopkins in 69.)
Not very hard ( except for this "reviewer" ) to make a blind test and guess which year is a live version of "Live With Me" or "Stray Cat Blues".

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 17, 2015 15:10

mitch
GasLightStreet
To sum up the point about what the reviewer said:

No Reply, you have misunderstood what I meant. I was referring to the same songs not versions between the 1971 concerts and the 1969 Ya Ya's recording and the 1973 Brussels recording. Hence my comment "you need to ask yourself whether these tracks are sufficiently different to justify buying again".

I thought I had made my meaning clear but to avoid confusion I have added "Do you want 1969 and 1971 versions of the same songs?" I also go on to say that I thought Mick Taylor was tentative in 1969 but more confident in 1971.

My overall point remains the same, the set list is too close to Ya Ya's.

[www.amazon.co.uk]

I think I have very understand what he meant and my overall point remains the same too: This dude has no ear and/or understand nothing into stones music.
The live arrangement are so drastically different between 69 and 71 the same setlist gave totally different shows (You didn't have Keys nor Hopkins in 69.)
Not very hard ( except for this "reviewer" ) to make a blind test and guess which year is a live version of "Live With Me" or "Stray Cat Blues".

I get it. And yes, there is a difference. His wording of it was horrible.

I wonder how he felt about Hampton coming out when all of the songs on STILL LIFE were also on HAMPTON... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Sticky Fingers bonus cd liner notes
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 16, 2015 13:12

What info comes with the bonus cd? I bought mine through google music so obviously I don't have a booklet. Is that Taylor soloing on the Brown Sugar with Clapton?

Re: Sticky Fingers bonus cd liner notes
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 16, 2015 13:22

The credits mentioning M.Taylor - guitar.

As Robert Johnson is credited for Stray Cat Blues I guess some things weren't handled that accurate...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 16, 2015 13:25

ROCKMAN

Date: June 16, 2015 13:41

Rockman...the living proof...
They should've scanned your vaults before...

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 16, 2015 13:55

Note that also the publication rights of King of Spades Music point to song number 7.
Could it be they later added a track and forgot the change the numbers? If so, which
track was added later?

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: June 16, 2015 14:09

Jimmy Miller is only credited for the 5 alternate tracks on disc 2.
Simply dropped for Sticky Fingers original...although mentioned on 7" in the super deluxe set.

Posted by: relms ()
Date: June 16, 2015 14:27

Rockman

Long live the King Rockman! smileys with beer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 16, 2015 14:59

....Kong

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 16, 2015 15:15

His Excellency Lord Mayor King Rockman Kong

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 16, 2015 15:58

marcovandereijk
Note that also the publication rights of King of Spades Music point to song number 7.
Could it be they later added a track and forgot the change the numbers? If so, which
track was added later?

Good question; this appears to be so...
So either the 'EC' Brown Sugar, the accoustic Wild Horses, the alternate CYHMK, the extended Bitch, the alternate Dead Flowers, the live Live with me (Roundhouse) or live Stray Cat Blues (Roundhouse) have been squeezed in rather late (àfter the booklet had been lay-outed 'first draft' already).

P.S.: I'm sure sooner or later somebody over here will suggest yet another sly manipulation on the band's behalf to further discredit Mick Taylor...
That's a plot that keeps on thickening; on & on & on & on ... !! smoking smiley

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 16, 2015 16:29

relms
Rockman

Long live the King Rockman! smileys with beer

Maybe Robert Johnson now can get royalties from SCB... probably not, he prefers LIV.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 16, 2015 17:00

Thanks! I noticed alternate Dead Flowers says "recorded by Glyn Johns" rather than "engineered" like the other studio out takes. Seems maybe the basic tracks for alternate Brown Sugar were laid down and then they overdubbed. Maybe Richards' acoustic and Taylor's solo.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 16, 2015 17:14

The attention to detail here is quite stunning

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 16, 2015 17:22

TravelinMan
Thanks! I noticed alternate Dead Flowers says "recorded by Glyn Johns" rather than "engineered" like the other studio out takes. Seems maybe the basic tracks for alternate Brown Sugar were laid down and then they overdubbed. Maybe Richards' acoustic and Taylor's solo.

Strange that. Although they can be the same, generally engineering a session involves more than just recording a session. Not sure if this is just a descriptive difference or some intentional thing due to contractual concerns and possibly monetary issues. Good catch.

It seems they were either sloppy with these overall credits or very astute and careful due to legal issues.

peace

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 17, 2015 09:54

Rockman
The same misprint for Track 7 is in the notes for Superdeluxe.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 17, 2015 14:49

The EC Brown Sugar was engineered by Jimmy Johnson and Andy Johns.

Even though it was recorded in London, England instead of Alabama, US.

Al Kooper played guitar on it as well?

Huh.

Stones back on Billboard's Top 5
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: June 17, 2015 18:44

Sticky Fingers will re-enter at #5 on Billboard's tomorrow album chart with 36,000 copies sold.
The Super Deluxe Edition charts separately too at #65 with 9,000 copies sold.

The Stones chart span of top 10 albums is now the longest among groups with 50 years and 6 months.

More info later.

Re: Stones back on Billboard's Top 5
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 17, 2015 18:49

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: relms ()
Date: June 17, 2015 18:56

I always thought this band was pretty good. It is nice to see them finally make it.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 17, 2015 19:19

I guess it's pretty telling that of all the artists in the Top 200 list I had to get down to #84 (Legend by Bob Marley) to find one who's music I actually owned. Hot Rocks is on there at position #128. So I guess the Stones will have 2 records on the list as of tomorrow.

from Billboard:

Another British rock band, The Rolling Stones, re-enters at No. 5 with their classic former No. 1 Sticky Fingers (36,000 units; 34,000 in pure album sales). The album, which spent four weeks atop the list shortly after its release in 1971, has been absent from the tally since 1981. This is its highest rank since Aug. 14, 1971, when it was No. 5. The album was reissued on June 9 in a variety of deluxe, remastered and expanded editions, thus sparking its return to the chart. For charting and sales tracking purposes, nearly all versions of the album are merged together on Billboard’s charts and in Nielsen Music’s database. (However, one of Sticky Fingers’ new editions -- dubbed the super deluxe version -- tracks separately due to its additional extra content. It debuts at No. 65 with 9,000 units, nearly all from album sales.)

peace

Date: June 17, 2015 19:30

Naturalust
I guess it's pretty telling that of all the artists in the Top 200 list I had to get down to #84 (Legend by Bob Marley) to find one who's music I actually owned. Hot Rocks is on there at position #128. So I guess the Stones will have 2 records on the list as of tomorrow.

peace

They will have 3 albums at least, both versions of Sticky Fingers and Hot Rocks too.

Date: June 17, 2015 19:51

I think they are the only artist on US chart history with Top 5 albums on 6 different and consecutive decades.
I'll check it.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 17, 2015 20:04

<<I think they are the only artist on US chart history with Top 5 albums on 6 different and consecutive decades.>>

Well, finally, they seem to have surpassed the Beatles at last.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: June 17, 2015 23:11

georgelicks
Sticky Fingers will re-enter at #5 on Billboard's tomorrow album chart with 36,000 copies sold.
The Super Deluxe Edition charts separately too at #65 with 9,000 copies sold.

The Stones chart span of top 10 albums is now the longest among groups with 50 years and 6 months.

More info later.

Great idea to separate the two albums!
And quite right in fact. I only bought the SUPERDELUXE Edition because of Leeds.

# 5 STICKY FINGERS DELUXE
# 65 GET YER LEEDS LUNGS OUT DELUXE

On the other hand. At what place would STICKY FINGERS DELUXE have ended with 45.000 copies sold, which it did counting the various formats.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-17 23:18 by RipThisBone.

Date: June 17, 2015 23:18

That's the most fv cked up liner notes I've ever seen...

Date: June 17, 2015 23:29

RipThisBone

On the other hand. At what place would STICKY FINGERS DELUXE have ended with 45.000 copies sold, which it did counting the various formats.

With all sales combined: #4

(-) 1. Muse: Drones (Helium-3/Warner Bros.) - 84,000
(2) 2. Taylor Swift: 1989 (Big Machine) - 64,000
(-) 3. Of Monsters & Men: Beneath the Skin (Republic) - 61,000
(1) 4. Florence + the Machine: How Big How Blue How Beautiful (Republic) - 37,000
(-) 5. The Rolling Stones: Sticky Fingers (UME) - 36,000
(5) 6. Ed Sheeran: X (Atlantic) - 34,000
(13) 7. Sam Hunt: Montevallo (MCA Nashville) - 31,000
(3) 8. A$AP Rocky: AT.LONG.LAST.A$AP (RCA) - 29,000
(10) 9. Maroon 5: V (222/Interscope) - 29,000
(8) 10. Meghan Trainor: Title (Epic) - 27,000

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: June 17, 2015 23:52

georgelicks
RipThisBone

With all sales combined: #4

(-) 1. Muse: Drones (Helium-3/Warner Bros.) - 84,000
(2) 2. Taylor Swift: 1989 (Big Machine) - 64,000
(-) 3. Of Monsters & Men: Beneath the Skin (Republic) - 61,000
(1) 4. Florence + the Machine: How Big How Blue How Beautiful (Republic) - 37,000
(-) 5. The Rolling Stones: Sticky Fingers (UME) - 36,000
(5) 6. Ed Sheeran: X (Atlantic) - 34,000
(13) 7. Sam Hunt: Montevallo (MCA Nashville) - 31,000
(3) 8. A$AP Rocky: AT.LONG.LAST.A$AP (RCA) - 29,000
(10) 9. Maroon 5: V (222/Interscope) - 29,000
(8) 10. Meghan Trainor: Title (Epic) - 27,000

thumbs up
If THE ROLLING STONES had included the video of GIMME SHELTER with FLORENCE live at the O2 Arena London 2012 in STICKY FINGERS DELUXE it could have been a NUMBER 1!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-17 23:54 by RipThisBone.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4849505152535455565758Next
Current Page: 54 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home