Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4546474849505152535455...LastNext
Current Page: 50 of 58
Re: Sticky Fingers sleevenote info on Moonlight Mile
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 10, 2015 06:42

Keith Richards - Robert Greenfield

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-10 06:52 by Rockman.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: June 10, 2015 06:55

Rockman

Keith Richards - Robert Greenfield

Didn't his voice first appear solo on "something happened to me yesterday"?

Even earlier than he thought!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 10, 2015 06:59

....My voice first appeared solo ....

ROCKMAN

Re: 'Sticky Fingers' rereleased - 8/9 June
Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: June 10, 2015 17:01

Quick question: I haven't bought the set yet. Can someone please confirm that the "Brown Sugar" alt with Eric Clapton, is it the exact same version as the one widely known on bootleg? Any mix differences? Any editing?

Thanks.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 10, 2015 17:11

Turning To Gold
Quick question: I haven't bought the set yet. Can someone please confirm that the "Brown Sugar" alt with Eric Clapton, is it the exact same version as the one widely known on bootleg? Any mix differences? Any editing?

Thanks.

It's the same except the old boots are better...this one is compressed and brick walled to death...we need the rally towel

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: June 10, 2015 17:15

Not buying this one. It consists of all the songs from the original album, and new versions of old songs you can find on YouTube. They could have at least thrown in one brand new number but they did not.

Please excuse my negativity, because I truly love just about everything the Stones have recorded. I even saw them recently in Columbus, Ohio, and was blown away. However, this is disappointing.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: June 10, 2015 17:37

Turning To Gold

Thanks.
I CAN tell you that the sound on the Roadhouse songs are incredibly superior to the bootleg - which I have had for years. Worth the bucks

Posted by: kevinkamphuis ()
Date: June 10, 2015 17:57

Just listen to a HIRES 24/96 vinyl rip of the bonus tracks. Incedible!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 10, 2015 19:17

Munichhilton
Turning To Gold

Thanks.

It's the same except the old boots are better...this one is compressed and brick walled to death...we need the rally towel

They should have had Jimmy Page do the remastering, since what he has done with the Zep reissues is nothing short of fantastic. Likewise what Pete Townshend did with the Quadrophenia reissuing.

Trouble is with the Stones reissues is that these are overseen by Mick Jagger, who, being a trend-adhering neophyte, subscribes wholeheadedly to the New Loudness.

But if they brought in Jimmy Page instead to re-remaster all of their albums, I'd buy their whole catalog over, because it would be the closest thing to true analog, with all the dynamics and subtleties shining through.

In fact, I think Jimmy Page should be their producer if they should ever record a new album, because sound quality matters, too.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 10, 2015 19:29

That would be Jimmys worst career outcome ever - Official Rolling Stones Archivist

Posted by: tklawson ()
Date: June 10, 2015 22:28

Munichhilton
Turning To Gold

Thanks.

No, it isn't the same, this version is a vastly superior stereo mix, the old bootleg sounded all blobbed together. Yes, this is brickwalled, but it still crushes the old bootleg in terms of fidelity.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: June 10, 2015 23:18

tklawson
Munichhilton
Turning To Gold

Thanks.

No, it isn't the same, this version is a vastly superior stereo mix, the old bootleg sounded all blobbed together. Yes, this is brickwalled, but it still crushes the old bootleg in terms of fidelity.

I'm 44 years old and really like these "brickwalled" mixes!

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 10, 2015 23:47

Nikkei
That would be Jimmys worst career outcome ever - Official Rolling Stones Archivist

I almost fell out of my chair...>grinning smiley<

To anyone pooh-pooh'ing this release and who doesn't want to pony up, just um, find those Roundhouse tracks, and tell 'em I sent ya...sweet mother 'o' mercy they f*cking rule! Then proceed to the rest.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: June 10, 2015 23:51

Just noticed the price was reduced to $7.99 on i-Tunes. Pretty good deal.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 11, 2015 00:49

<<To anyone pooh-pooh'ing this release and who doesn't want to pony up, just um, find those Roundhouse tracks, and tell 'em I sent ya...>>

These folks at The CD & DVD Collection will give me more for my US$15 then will Amazon/Rolling Stones/Uniperversal:

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers: The Alternate Album - unreleased and alternate versions - excellent studio recordings - twenty tracks (77:24)

Rolling Stones catalog page at: [cdcollection.fcpages.com]

Date: June 11, 2015 00:55

muenke
tklawson
Munichhilton
Turning To Gold

Thanks.

I'm 44 years old and really like these "brickwalled" mixes!

You've always loved good masonry!

Date: June 11, 2015 00:57

stonehearted
Munichhilton
Turning To Gold

Thanks.

They should have had Jimmy Page do the remastering, since what he has done with the Zep reissues is nothing short of fantastic. Likewise what Pete Townshend did with the Quadrophenia reissuing.

Trouble is with the Stones reissues is that these are overseen by Mick Jagger, who, being a trend-adhering neophyte, subscribes wholeheadedly to the New Loudness.

But if they brought in Jimmy Page instead to re-remaster all of their albums, I'd buy their whole catalog over, because it would be the closest thing to true analog, with all the dynamics and subtleties shining through.

In fact, I think Jimmy Page should be their producer if they should ever record a new album, because sound quality matters, too.

I agree James did a great job. Those remasters are the way these should be. Its too bad he doesn't have anything in the vaults to shock and awe!!

Date: June 11, 2015 01:51

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: June 11, 2015 02:18

The album is on track to sell 32-35k this week in the U.S. according to early projections, that's enough for a Top 10 debut next week, this week the #10 album moved 29k. Let's see.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 11, 2015 02:21

I bought the MP3 but am enjoying the FLAC for much cheaper here in the US

Posted by: stoneslib ()
Date: June 11, 2015 02:46

Sticky Fingers review on Slate.com:

Slate, June 10, 2015, by Jack Hamilton, U Virginia

Date: June 11, 2015 02:55

My Review of the Sticky Fingers reissue (2-disc, cheap-ass, $15 version).
1. Brown Sugar (with Clapton) - I've heard this before, but it's nice to hear it clean and non-bootlegged. I think this was recorded on Keith & Bobby Keys' birthday. Allegedly, this was considered for inclusion on the record - in place of the version we all know. It's dirty and good.
2. Wild Horses (acoustic) - This is Wild Horses. I bet I've played it almost as many times as I've heard it. I guess I love this song - since I really loved it the first 100 or so times I heard it. Eventually, I thought it was totally lame - like, I was too cool for Wild Horses? @#$%& me. Still a great song. I hope I never hear it again.
3. Can't You Hear Me Knocking (alternate) - I admit, when I first read the title, I may have gotten a little hard. When I heard it, it was far more fun and far less earth-shattering than I had feared/hoped. It's really them working out the number - it's Tattoo You-like, in some respects. You do want to hear this.
4. Bitch (extended version) - This is more than an extended version of Bitch. The vocal is still gestational (which makes it better in some ways). Horns and rhythm section are ballsier than the great Balls McCalls. I really like Mick's singing on this - this is the first time I've been blown away by a Jagger vocal since I was 17 (which is nice). Stooge-y Stones! This is the gem of the entire record.
5. Dead Flowers (alternate) - Bullshit Ga - Lah. This was definitely recorded in the 21st century.
Live At The Roundhouse 1971:
6. Live With Me - The band is hot like the Devil's dick.
7. Stray Cat Blues - I know this song.
8. Love In Vain - I know this song, too. Brilliant reading of it.
9. Midnight Rambler - I have indeed heard about the Midnight Rambler. I listened to this and exclaimed that "Yes! The Rolling Stones were (WERE) the greatest rock n roll band in the world...once upon a time."
10. Honky Tonk Women - This must have been the last song they played that night. They sound like they're maxed out and taxed heavy.
Overall, I would give this all $15 of the $15 that was paid for it (bearing in mind, I have purchased the first album in this set [the original Sticky Fingers] as a tape and/or CD and/or vinyl 5 times). P.S. The booklet blows!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-11 02:57 by The Ghost Of Good taste.

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: June 11, 2015 03:41

Great review!

Date: June 11, 2015 06:13

The Ghost Of Good taste
My Review of the Sticky Fingers reissue (2-disc, cheap-ass, $15 version).
1. Brown Sugar (with Clapton) - I've heard this before, but it's nice to hear it clean and non-bootlegged. I think this was recorded on Keith & Bobby Keys' birthday. Allegedly, this was considered for inclusion on the record - in place of the version we all know. It's dirty and good.
2. Wild Horses (acoustic) - This is Wild Horses. I bet I've played it almost as many times as I've heard it. I guess I love this song - since I really loved it the first 100 or so times I heard it. Eventually, I thought it was totally lame - like, I was too cool for Wild Horses? @#$%& me. Still a great song. I hope I never hear it again.
3. Can't You Hear Me Knocking (alternate) - I admit, when I first read the title, I may have gotten a little hard. When I heard it, it was far more fun and far less earth-shattering than I had feared/hoped. It's really them working out the number - it's Tattoo You-like, in some respects. You do want to hear this.
4. Bitch (extended version) - This is more than an extended version of Bitch. The vocal is still gestational (which makes it better in some ways). Horns and rhythm section are ballsier than the great Balls McCalls. I really like Mick's singing on this - this is the first time I've been blown away by a Jagger vocal since I was 17 (which is nice). Stooge-y Stones! This is the gem of the entire record.
5. Dead Flowers (alternate) - Bullshit Ga - Lah. This was definitely recorded in the 21st century.
Live At The Roundhouse 1971:
6. Live With Me - The band is hot like the Devil's dick.
7. Stray Cat Blues - I know this song.
8. Love In Vain - I know this song, too. Brilliant reading of it.
9. Midnight Rambler - I have indeed heard about the Midnight Rambler. I listened to this and exclaimed that "Yes! The Rolling Stones were (WERE) the greatest rock n roll band in the world...once upon a time."
10. Honky Tonk Women - This must have been the last song they played that night. They sound like they're maxed out and taxed heavy.
Overall, I would give this all $15 of the $15 that was paid for it (bearing in mind, I have purchased the first album in this set [the original Sticky Fingers] as a tape and/or CD and/or vinyl 5 times). P.S. The booklet blows!

what gives you that idea?

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: June 11, 2015 07:30

My Amazon downloaded tracks (pre-ordered box has yet to arrive) list this as the Sticky Fingers 2009 Remaster.

Was the main album actually remastered for this set, or, like the previous Deluxe releases, are they again giving us the same product?

J

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 11, 2015 08:17

Munichhilton
stonehearted
Munichhilton
Turning To Gold

Thanks.

I agree James did a great job. Those remasters are the way these should be. Its too bad he doesn't have anything in the vaults to shock and awe!!

There's rumblings that the Coda set may have some goodies that were held back, but Zeppelin's process was more methodical and less jam oriented than the Stones in their heyday. Plus the Stones had that four year run where they could basically fart on tape and it was still better than most others final product.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 11, 2015 08:25

JMARKO
My Amazon downloaded tracks (pre-ordered box has yet to arrive) list this as the Sticky Fingers 2009 Remaster.

Was the main album actually remastered for this set, or, like the previous Deluxe releases, are they again giving us the same product?

J

The main album is the same 2009 remaster as were Exile On main St and Some Girls deluxe editions.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 11, 2015 08:27

andrewt

There's rumblings that the Coda set may have some goodies that were held back, but Zeppelin's process was more methodical and less jam oriented than the Stones in their heyday. Plus the Stones had that four year run where they could basically fart on tape and it was still better than most others final product.

Coda will have 2 bonus discs : [www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: June 11, 2015 10:46

So I'm wanting the Superdeluxe edition but a digital download will do. Apart from 7digital FLAC, which I may get or not for listening at home, what about sound quality and bitrate at Google Play and iTunes for my iPod? Anybody knows if they are the same files or one is better than the other?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 11, 2015 11:35

milio77

So I'm wanting the Superdeluxe edition but a digital download will do. Apart from 7digital FLAC, which I may get or not for listening at home, what about sound quality and bitrate at Google Play and iTunes for my iPod? Anybody knows if they are the same files or one is better than the other?

Better:

[www.ponomusic.com] or [www.7digital.com] or [www.qobuz.com] : 44.1kHz/16bit CD-Quality lossless FLAC files (on Qobuz in further lossless formats, e.g. WAV)

Good:

[itunes.apple.com] : 44.1kHz/256kbps lossy AAC format

Usable:

[play.google.com] or [www.amazon.co.uk] : 44.1kHz/320kbps lossy MP3 format

You can test the differences in Audio quality by yourself: buy a song (which you know very good) in lossless 88.2kHz/24bit HD-Quality (Shop-Overview) as well as of a known superb Mastering quality - then convert it by yourself with the appropriate Tools into lossy AAC / MP3 and listen to the difference ....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-12 12:40 by Irix.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4546474849505152535455...LastNext
Current Page: 50 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1732
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home