Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354...LastNext
Current Page: 49 of 58
Re: 'Sticky Fingers' rereleased - 8/9 June
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: June 9, 2015 18:34

can anyone explain to me these ´unboxing´ videos on YT? Seriously, I just don´t get it.

I guess it´s sometimes fun to video your kids opening their Christmas pressies, so it´s the same thing, but with adults?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 9, 2015 18:53

Yeah, it's a bit embarrassing. The height of attention-craving materialism. But if people wanna watch it, there's an audience for it. I suppose it could be useful for reviewing something before you buy it or not.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 9, 2015 20:22

peoplewitheyes
can anyone explain to me these ´unboxing´ videos on YT? Seriously, I just don´t get it.

I guess it´s sometimes fun to video your kids opening their Christmas pressies, so it´s the same thing, but with adults?

Yeah I'd much rather see an ´unboxing´ vid posted by a guy who bought his Ukrainian wife online... smoking smiley

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 9, 2015 22:01

finally I got my super deluxe box today – and I was surprised in a very positive way. This box is REALLY heavy. Since I saw the small 2CD+DVD box in stores I was worrying whether the super deluxe box was going to be relative small too (In fact the small box is so small that I overlook it at first in the record store!).

The box is really worth every penny of the £ 10.90 I paid for it >grinning smiley<

The mixing… well, I think most about those 'modern' mixes has already been said (for German readers: Diese Art des Mixens wird (ver-) modern!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-09 22:02 by slewan.

Date: June 9, 2015 22:27

got the 2 cd set.

does anyone think the "alternate" takes of CYHMK, bitch and dead flowers are either studio run throughs or tour practice? micks vocals on CYHMK and bitch seem very loose and lazy

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 9, 2015 22:56

peoplewitheyes

if it wasn't that long it might be useful for people who are still trying to work out if it worthwhile spending a hell lot of money on it…

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 9, 2015 23:06

<<SF is #5 on UK's midweek chart (pre-sales, sunday and monday sales) with 4,500 copies sold. I hope it remains Top 10 by weekend.>>

But will the shared experience provided by a sales chart make it seem current and obscure the fact that they're just re-releasing old material, when we already re-purchased the 2009 remastering and haven't yet had the chance to wear out these newer, re-purchased CDs?

I could see it if it had a Plundered My Soul or two to offer, but it doesn't. So in the meantime, I'll just play the Virgin mixes, which sound better anyway, and if I want extras from the vaults I'll just do the tried and true old fashioned thing and support my local bootleggers....

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 10, 2015 00:22

Anyone having trouble ripping the super deluxe CDs into their I-Tunes? My Mac is not recognizing the discs and keeps ejecting them.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: June 10, 2015 00:39

I just got The Super Deluxe off iTunes onto my PC (not a Mac) and then onto my Phone with no problem. Call me crazy - but for $20, it's giving you all the songs as found in the physical box set, right? (Understood it does not include the DVD of Marquee's 2 songs - the whole thing of which will be out shortly anyway). So as much as I like actual CDs, and would love to see the book - for $20 instead of (depending on where you shop) around $150, I went with the download. Off to give it a listen!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-10 00:39 by DEmerson.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 10, 2015 01:13

keefriffhard4life
got the 2 cd set.

does anyone think the "alternate" takes of CYHMK, bitch and dead flowers are either studio run throughs or tour practice? micks vocals on CYHMK and bitch seem very loose and lazy

Nah, that's just scratch vocals. It's part of the process when songs come together in jams. You hear it a lot in outtakes, by various artists.

Mick throws out the "can't you see I'm the only one" line in both the CYHMK and BItch outtakes that was in the Highway Child outtake as well.
Seems to be his go-to filler at that point in time.

The idea is to get a feel for the melody and just say whatever to get the phrasing worked on, then you can go back and write actual lyrics.

Jiving Sister Fanny is kind of like that too.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: June 10, 2015 01:23

Verdict is in from RS :link

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 10, 2015 01:25

RockingLonestar
Thanks for the hint. Thats what 7digital told me too.I tried several times to download all three CDS at once and failed several times.although I downloaded it via differnet Internet Providers and used different (un)zip software tools. I finally downloaded every song separately and I succeeded ;-)
So all I can say is the music on CD 2 and 3 is spectacular and fine sounding and so is worth the money, which is only EURO 32,00.
But please buy the FLAC-Version for full sound enjoyment and not the ridiculous compressed and thin sounding mp3 files from e.g. Amazon.

Glad to know you finally managed to sort it out.

And yes, FLAC version is the version to get. smileys with beer

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 10, 2015 01:57

andrewt
Nah, that's just scratch vocals. It's part of the process when songs come together in jams. You hear it a lot in outtakes, by various artists.

Mick throws out the "can't you see I'm the only one" line in both the CYHMK and BItch outtakes that was in the Highway Child outtake as well.

The idea is to get a feel for the melody and just say whatever to get the phrasing worked on, then you can go back and write actual lyrics.

And Travellin' Man. These lyrics are pretty funny:

Yeah yeah I heard the crunch of the gravel
Yeah he got to be a hobo man
And I’m walkin down the road like a bulldog slip now
Yeah I bet you good time and a bulldog dog, well
And I bet you two sticks, and a home, and a dog
And by tomorrow morning you’ll be travellin’ on yeah
Yeah you got to be on
Ah hah, hah, hah, you got to be a travellin’ man
With your girl in your hair and you feel at home
You got to get on the road somewhere
And then you beat down the highway, with a bone
And in a tatter on fire with a rattlin’ bone yeah
Yeah you be alseep with me baby on the side of the road
And I got to be a travelin' man
Snap to the phone baby real real slow and I got to tell you all that I can
I got to go down the road, down the trail now
Ah ah ah ah ah ah
Ah ah ah ah ah ah
Ah ah I let it go to my head by day
And grab a smoke, and like a crow, I'll grab a can if I have a say
And baby I'm fast, I brung it with me, and may be calling on a pile of ?
And baby I'll been staying over yonder, and a porch till the first of May

Better than most of his recent lyrics grinning smiley

Date: June 10, 2015 03:53

andrewt
keefriffhard4life
got the 2 cd set.

so they aren't really takes that were recorded to be released o the final album but the band getting them straight?

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: June 10, 2015 04:20

I picked up my Super Deluxe yesterday for $155 Aussie dollars!

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 10, 2015 05:17

I got the box set. In the USA you can buy the 2 disc cd version at Target and get a coupon for the vinyl

Posted by: 2014Slayer ()
Date: June 10, 2015 06:38

I just got my 2 cd set at Barnes & Noble! They had the rereleased LP there too.

Sticky Fingers sleevenote info on Moonlight Mile
Posted by: ComeOn ()
Date: June 9, 2015 22:12

On the original LP :

5.MOONLIGHT MILE/C.WATTS-DRUMS/B.WYMAN-BASS/J.PRICE-PIANO/M.JAGGER-GUITAR,VOCAL/M.TAYLOR-GUITAR/P.BUCKMASTER-STRINGS

On the new edition on CD :

10.MOONLIGHT MILE/C.WATTS-DRUMS/B.WYMAN-BASS/J.PRICE-PIANO/M.JAGGER-GUITAR,VOCALS/M.TAYLOR-GUITAR/P.BUCKMASTER-STRINGS/K.RICHARDS-VOCALS & GUITAR

but I hear no K.Richards on that one .... ?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-09 22:43 by ComeOn.

Re: Sticky Fingers sleevenote info on Moonlight Mile
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 9, 2015 22:25

Keith has said publicly that he is not on the track so shrug.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 9, 2015 22:26

ComeOn
On the original LP :

5.MOONLIGHT MILE/C.WATTS-DRUMS/B.WYMAN-BASS/J.PRICE-PIANO/M.JAGGER-GUITAR,VOCAL/M.TAYLOR-GUITAR/P.BUCKMASTER-STRINGS

On the new edition on CD :

10.MOONLIGHT MILE/C.WATTS-DRUMS/B.WYMAN-BASS/J.PRICE-PIANO/M.JAGGER-GUITAR,VOCALS/M.TAYLOR-GUITAR/P.BUCKMASTER-STRINGS/K.RICHARDS-VOCALS & GUITAR

but I hear no K.Richards on that one .... ?

They shoulda tossed ol /B.KEYS-SAXAPHONE/ in there too.
Get the whole gang on it. That woulda been the right thing to do

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 9, 2015 22:27

I wonder if MJ updated his vocal... his track listing went from singular to plural.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 9, 2015 22:28

I'm surprised they left MT on it... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 9, 2015 23:09

HearMeKnockin
I'm surprised they left MT on it... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
...and Bill!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 10, 2015 01:04

Originally Keith played bass but Bill, despite Keith's protestations, decided to wipe Keith's track and lay down his own take. Keith was mortified but, knowing his place, rose above it for the good of the cause.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 10, 2015 02:35

Didn't Jagger just say Keith was added on guitar in his recent discussion of the track. Keith has definitely said he wasn't on it. Of course, it's also been said that the song was based in part on Keith's "Japanese Thing" doodle and now Mkck is saying the Japanese and/or Indian guitar thing was his.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 10, 2015 03:03

I don't think he's on the track. I wish they would rewrite history.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: June 10, 2015 03:04

TeddyB1018
Didn't Jagger just say Keith was added on guitar in his recent discussion of the track. Keith has definitely said he wasn't on it. Of course, it's also been said that the song was based in part on Keith's "Japanese Thing" doodle and now Mkck is saying the Japanese and/or Indian guitar thing was his.

From the Robert Greenfield 1971 Rolling Stones Interview with Keith:

Do you and Mick still write now the way you used to then?

Well, I haven't seen him for a couple weeks because he went and got married, but basically yes. We do bits that we hear and then we throw them all together on a cassette or something, and listen to it. Mick writes more melodies now than he used to.
The first things, usually I wrote the melody and Mick wrote the words. It's not gotten like the Lennon-McCartney thing got where they wrote completely by themselves. Every song we've got have pieces of each other in it. The only thing in Sticky Fingers I don't have anything to do with is "Moonlight Mile," 'cause I wasn't there when they did it. It was great to hear that because I was very out of it by the end of the album and it was like listening, really listening. It was really nice. We were all surprised at the way that album fell together. Sticky Fingers – it pulled itself together.

Do you sing for the first time alone on that album?

Please. My voice first appeared solo on the first verse of "Salt of the Earth." We did the chorus together, me and Mick. If I write a song, I usually write it all but it's difficult. Somebody's always got their finger in there. I thought I wasn't on "Moonlight Mile" but the last riff everybody gets into playing is a riff I'd been playing on earlier tapes before I dropped out. "Wild Horses," we wrote the chorus in the John of the Muscle Shoals recording studio 'cause it didn't finish off right.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 10, 2015 03:52

2000 LYFH
TeddyB1018

From the Robert Greenfield 1971 Rolling Stones Interview with Keith:

Do you and Mick still write now the way you used to then?

Well, I haven't seen him for a couple weeks because he went and got married, but basically yes. We do bits that we hear and then we throw them all together on a cassette or something, and listen to it. Mick writes more melodies now than he used to.
The first things, usually I wrote the melody and Mick wrote the words. It's not gotten like the Lennon-McCartney thing got where they wrote completely by themselves. Every song we've got have pieces of each other in it. The only thing in Sticky Fingers I don't have anything to do with is "Moonlight Mile," 'cause I wasn't there when they did it. It was great to hear that because I was very out of it by the end of the album and it was like listening, really listening. It was really nice. We were all surprised at the way that album fell together. Sticky Fingers – it pulled itself together.

Do you sing for the first time alone on that album?

Please. My voice first appeared solo on the first verse of "Salt of the Earth." We did the chorus together, me and Mick. If I write a song, I usually write it all but it's difficult. Somebody's always got their finger in there. I thought I wasn't on "Moonlight Mile" but the last riff everybody gets into playing is a riff I'd been playing on earlier tapes before I dropped out. "Wild Horses," we wrote the chorus in the John of the Muscle Shoals recording studio 'cause it didn't finish off right.

that actually kind of fits what the have said in later interviews, it implies keith didn't write any of it but played the riff at the end (who knows who came up with it).

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 10, 2015 04:24

Very strange those altered credits. Mick definitely has more than one vocal track on the song. His harmonies and doubled vocals on the tune are exceptional...so I understand the "vocal" to "vocals" change but to put Keith on there is truly perplexing.

Is this just "gist for the mill" as Jagger likes to say about such things? The fact that it was added as the last credit after the strings sure indicates to me it was an intentional thing. Perhaps to allow Keith to collect some sort of royalties on the song (or keep the ones he has already collected on Mick Taylors behalf eye popping smiley)

I would have much preferred to see Jagger/Taylor in the songwriting credits on this one. That would have caused a bit of a stir.

Excellent question ComeOn.

peace

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 10, 2015 05:20

Naturalust
I would have much preferred to see Jagger/Taylor in the songwriting credits on this one.

Me too... and the same thing on "Sway".

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354...LastNext
Current Page: 49 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home