Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 58
Re: 'Sticky Fingers' rereleased - 25 May
Date: April 2, 2015 01:29

No way (to both).

I listen to the whole band, kleerie, not the "Mick Taylor & The Rolling Stones" that you listen to.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: April 2, 2015 02:10

Musically the Glastonbury CYHMK is my favourite of the bunch both for Taylor's solo itself and the band's accompaniment. The other times they played it, the arrangement meandered a bit and MT - at that moment the de facto band leader - had to drive the others on, rocking up his solo in a way that didn't serve the song so well. At Glastonbury they all had it nailed and got really close to the feel of the studio version, which is not easy to do.

That said, I've probably listened to LA more, just because the explosion of joy and energy on that stage at the end of the jam totally brings a tear to my eye. I know it isn't 1972 anymore, but watching that performance you could just about imagine that it was. That night in Staples they really were, for a few moments, the greatest rock and roll band in the world once again, and (more importantly) a bunch of old friends jamming and having fun.

Oh, and Kleerie, this is a great DF - thanks!

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 2, 2015 02:29

tatters
dalsh327
The Virgin remaster is better than the 2009 remaster?

Yes.

Well... while the Virgin remaster has a darker tone and less opened sound, the 2009 remaster has a clearer sound with more emphasis on background instruments but is very fatiguing for the ears due to an abusive use of digital compression and sound level maximization. To me the most annoying thing (about the 2009 remaster) is the loss of all subtelty and nuances making the whole album a very even listening experience.
This said the Virgin remaster has also some flaws, mainly the use of a peak limiter on all tracks in order to get a louder sound. That's why some people still prefer the old CBS/Columbia CD's...

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 2, 2015 02:43

DandelionPowderman

Glasto was a bit too much smooth latino fusion for me. I liked LA better.

Me too. The Glasonbury performance meanders a bit too much while the LA performance is tighter. Taylor obviously had gotten more and more comfortable with the song as he played it more often but that didn't necessarily make the solos better. They became longer and slightly too self-indulgent.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 2, 2015 02:46

The latest promo for the tour/tribute shows a rare outake photo from a Wyman/Taylor Stones. This is a tough situation to promote as the very people in that photo can still perform, likely better than the present line-up. The Stones usually smart about promotion have painted themselves into a corner. The "special shows" in LA and NY are going to have to feature Taylor and Wyman or this will appear to be a history rewrite or selfish grab for all the glory by The Glimmers. In a perfect world they'll play CYHMK and leave Bobby's solo empty in tribute. I can sing it in my head and I bet all of you can too... PS I like LA CYHMK best..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-02 02:51 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 2, 2015 03:48

DoomandGloom
In a perfect world they'll play CYHMK and leave Bobby's solo empty in tribute. I can sing it in my head and I bet all of you can too...

Great idea! Even a few bars of complete silence would be awesome. I too could hear that sax blowing from heaven.

peace

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 2, 2015 03:49

DandelionPowderman
No way (to both).

I listen to the whole band, kleerie, not the "Mick Taylor & The Rolling Stones" that you listen to.

The term is Mick Taylor and HIS Rolling Stones actually.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 2, 2015 05:05

It is a shame they didn't seem to get someone really good to compile this box set. Yes, the outtakes are a bit slim, but I am anxious to hear the alternate to Can't You Hear Me Knocking!

But they missed the opportunity to release the mono album, and a unknown live show from the Farewell Tour.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 2, 2015 05:26

I have an half speed master LP. I don't need any other copy of Sticky. As far as outtakes, For the most part I believe outakes or silly rough mixes of songs in progress is overkill. I believe in the artist's vision at the time and prefer the finished product. Of course there are always exceptions, Plundered My Soul and Free as A Bird are on the top of that list. All in all I prefer live bootlegs, I listened to an unmarked Brussels cassette for a decade or two without knowing it's history. People here are saying Leeds is bad or Taylor is bad on it. I tried to listen but the mix here is crummy is the official release better?

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: April 2, 2015 05:30

A very lazy release!

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 2, 2015 05:49

Appartently no special bonus track for Japan : [www.universal-music.co.jp]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 2, 2015 06:32

Everyone seems to be knocking Leeds. Man I dig that version of Satisfaction. It's in a different tempo and more resembles the Otis Redding version.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 2, 2015 07:45

whitem8
It is a shame they didn't seem to get someone really good to compile this box set. Yes, the outtakes are a bit slim, but I am anxious to hear the alternate to Can't You Hear Me Knocking!

But they missed the opportunity to release the mono album, and a unknown live show from the Farewell Tour.

What "Mono" album? The mono version out there is a simple fold down of the stereo version. Just like Let It Bleed. Common midunderstanding. What's exciting about a fold?

Posted by: MrTurner ()
Date: April 2, 2015 08:09

Really disappointing that 'Travellin Man' or any other unreleased song didn't make the set. It would seem MJ believes he'd scraped the bottom of the barrel for the Exile bonus disc. That said the release of the full Leeds show, hopefully, in stereo as per LIR is great. The Roundhouse and Leeds as a double CD package would have been nice but maybe there were issues with some of the Roundhouse recordings - I'm guessing.

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: April 2, 2015 10:59

DandelionPowderman
thrak
I'm rather disappointed with SF deluxes. We all have Leeds boots, Brown Sugar with Eric. I thought it would me more like Exile second disc with more outtakes. There's a lot of songs from that period.
Anyway 2 songs from Marquee on DVD is a joke. They should put more effort into that.
Some people here says WOW 5 songs from Roundhouse. Really ? Are you satisfied with that + JJF from Leeds ? It's another wasted opportunity to show some unpublished songs. They're better or worse but it's something new.
I hope Let It Bleed box would be better than that.

It's like LZ remasters. The outtakes are just different mixes. C'mon. It is not what we have been waiting for years.

You forgot Roundhouse, which is a really good show, as opposed to the lame Marquee performance. + We get the complete Leeds show in stereo for the first time.

Marquee will probably come out as a separate dvd release on Eagle later, as Live In Texas did.

Roundhouse fine, but why only few songs. It's 300 $ or whatever. I hope Leeds quality will kill us and it will be worth to spend $$$.
Mayby you're right and they'll put Marquee on DVD later (not my favourite show).

Date: April 2, 2015 11:19

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
No way (to both).

The term is Mick Taylor and HIS Rolling Stones actually.

I thought that term belonged to God, or at least Slowhand?

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: April 2, 2015 11:21

strat72
A very lazy release!

kowalski

Very very lazy then.
What a vast missed opportunity, and there won't be another Stucky Deluxe.
Tell me it's an April fool, please!

Posted by: Fishstain ()
Date: April 2, 2015 12:28

Anyone know which Roundhouse concert it is? Am assuming the second show.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 2, 2015 12:55

kowalski

Some more links:

SF Super Deluxe Edition (3SHM-CD+DVD+EP): [www.cdjapan.co.jp]

iTunes-Store Japan: the SF Super Deluxe as well as the SF Deluxe Edition.

Nothing to see at the moment from the new Sticky Fingers releases on japanese [wardrecords.com] or Amazon.co.jp ....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-02 13:50 by Irix.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 2, 2015 13:34

Blueranger
whitem8

What "Mono" album? The mono version out there is a simple fold down of the stereo version. Just like Let It Bleed. Common midunderstanding. What's exciting about a fold?

There's a true mono mix of Sway that was released as the B-side of Wild Horses. They should have at least included that on the alternates/live versions disc.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-02 13:37 by tatters.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 2, 2015 15:00

Naturalust
24FPS
Blueranger
slowhand
hypnohighball
Eagle Rock will be putting out the entire Marquee show on dvd later this year. They did the same thing with the Some Girls and Exile boxes - gave us a teaser on the dvd that came with the boxed set and then the whole show was released separately on dvd by Eagle Rock. Be patient....

I think it's a waste that they don't include the complete Marquee show on DVD...only two songs is a joke. I doubt it very highly that it'll get a complete standalone release.

Why? As stated, they did this practice with the two other boxes as well and we got L&G and Live In Texas after a while.
There is no doubt The Marquee will be released seperately.

Why this desire for the entire Marquee show? It's not a good performance and it's not filmed well.

It's still a very interesting performance, imo, captures a very important period in the Stones career and I'll take all I can get of it.

peace

Because there's not much if not hardly anything else from that time period and some people are grateful to get something rather than nothing?

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 2, 2015 15:07

Is there any word on what the ticket prices will be?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 2, 2015 15:14

dalsh327
The Virgin remaster is better than the 2009 remaster?

Of course. How is that even a question.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 2, 2015 15:23

We've heard the stripped Wild Horses.(Liked the video) Brown Sugar w/Clapton will be cool and hopefully the other three outtakes will be different and great. Looking forward to the five Roundhouse cuts!! No matter what they delivered we'd still be wanting more...

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: April 2, 2015 15:40

So no Outtakes? Count me out.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: April 2, 2015 16:29

Stoneburst

That said, I've probably listened to LA more, just because the explosion of joy and energy on that stage at the end of the jam totally brings a tear to my eye. I know it isn't 1972 anymore, but watching that performance you could just about imagine that it was. That night in Staples they really were, for a few moments, the greatest rock and roll band in the world once again, and (more importantly) a bunch of old friends jamming and having fun.

!

+1
i cry each time smiling smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 2, 2015 16:39

The extended Bitch is over 2 minutes longer. I like that!!

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 2, 2015 16:42

It looks as if the bonus disk is a sort of "alternate" Sticky Fingers. I'm intrigued about the extended version of Bitch. Wonder if it has the two guitars playing together with the horns in the outro like they would do live? Not sure why they would include Roundhouse instead of outtakes because they could have done a vault release of that show. Also, I'm not paying 300 dollars to get a CD of Leeds, although I like that show, I hope it's released on its own and I don't have to download garbage MP3's.

They should release outtakes through the vault (FLAC), its cheap and people would buy them.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: April 2, 2015 16:59

Just ordered the super deluxe version. I feel proud to contribute to their pension fund! Not sure about travelling to the US yetsmoking smiley

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: April 2, 2015 17:47

I am very much looking forward to the Leeds release, and just hope, hope, hope the sound is not overly messed with. The '71 stuff I have has a slight hiss, but the sound is just excellent. I noticed with Handsome Girls the official live release sounded not quite as biting as the sound on the unreleased version I have. To me, live material from '71 represents the most exciting of their live releases to date. I, too, love that version of Satisfaction, btw!! Fingers crossed we'll get a great, minimally messed-with production.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1512
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home