Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 58
Re: Will this be on ethe Sticky Fingers Deluxe LP?
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 7, 2014 13:06

KRiffhard

Mr. Was don't worry! You don't have to search more, here's a great tracklist for SF reissue:

- Living in the heart of Love
- Fast Talking, Slow Walkin
- You should have seen her ass
- Criss Cross Man

These 4 are from 1974 and 1972...

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 7, 2014 15:32

dcba
KRiffhard

Mr. Was don't worry! You don't have to search more, here's a great tracklist for SF reissue:

- Criss Cross Man

A couple of songs from the Exile bonus disk were from 1967 and 1969, Claudine and a few others on the SG bonus were from Emotional Rescue, I can't see the problem with stuff from 1969-1974 on the SF bonus album.

Re: 'Sticky Fingers' reissue in 2015?
Posted by: alimente ()
Date: December 7, 2014 15:33

Not much material left? A rather strange quote, considering the fact that some years ago, Don Was mentioned in an interview that going through all the tapes from 1969 to 1972 for the Exile-reissue was like going through a treasure trove for him. He even mentioned a version of Wild Horses with a string quartet, something that escaped even the bootleggers until now.

I think it all depends on what they're looking for and to what extent they are limiting themselves. If they're looking for completely unknown songs only, completely finished (including lead vocals) that only need to be mixed properly, the ice may indeed be a bit thin, but there's stuff on bootlegs that I'd love to get in perfect quality, and there must be similar stuff (outtakes, different versions, rehearsals, whatever) that has not seen the light of day on any bootleg and that is even unknown in hardcore collector's circles. Plus, of course, live material.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-07 17:47 by alimente.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 7, 2014 15:55

I think you summed it up well, alimente.

Either way, I think the whole idea of reissuing a classic album (which has already been remastered three times) and adding bonus tracks is not the best way to do it.

A much better idea is to do it like Bob Dylan's bootleg series with studio cuts and live concerts only, and skip the released stuff altogether. Then you can do it chronologically, on a session- or location basis, whatever, and not having to worry about which studio album a song belonged to in the first place. Especially Exile was cobbled together from several sources, and some of those songs (like Shine A Light or Loving Cup) could have ended up on Sticky Fingers or even Let It Bleed.

Also, if new tracks are discovered, or if everything moves to a new record company, they don't have to release YET another remaster of Sticky Fingers to get the newly discovered stuff out.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 7, 2014 16:11

alimente
Not much material left? A rather strange quote, considering the fact that some years ago, Don Was mentioned in an interview that going through all the tapes from 1969 to 1972 for the Exile-reissue was like going through a treasure trove for him. He even mentioned a version of Wild Horses with a string quartet, something that escaped even the bootleggers until now.

I think it all depends from what they're looking for and to what extent they are limiting themselves. If they're looking for completely unknown songs only, completely finished (including lead vocals) that only need to be mixed properly, the ice may indeed a bit thin, but there's stuff on bootlegs that I'd love to get in perfect quality, and there must be similar stuff (outtakes, different versions, rehearsals, whatever) that has not seen the light of day on any bootleg and that is even unknown in hardcore collector's circles. Plus, of course, live material.

Maybe they want to finish off songs (like on Some Girls and Exile deluxe) so they need at least complete backing tracks, not just ideas or session jams. I don't think Jagger & co. are interested in alternate takes or alternate mixes.

The only instrumentals I can think of (that could be used as backing tracks) are Potted Shrimp and Leather Jacket. The other (known) instrumentals have already been used for Exile reissue (like Dancing in the Light).
The other problem I see is many outtakes from Let It Bleed/Sticky Fingers sessions have already been released on Metamorphosis (I'm Going Down, Jiving Sister Fanny...). One track that remains unreleased is Travelling Man though. Of course the other outtake that could be used is Schoolboy Blues (but I don't think it will happen).
They could also include early versions of SF tracks such as Sister Morphine (from Beggars Banquet sessions) and Brown Sugar (from Muscle Schoals sessions).

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 7, 2014 16:33

georgelicks
dcba
KRiffhard

- Criss Cross Man

A couple of songs from the Exile bonus disk were from 1967 and 1969, Claudine and a few others on the SG bonus were from Emotional Rescue, I can't see the problem with stuff from 1969-1974 on the SF bonus album.[[/b]/quote]

thumbs up

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: December 7, 2014 18:29

kowalski
alimente

I think it all depends from what they're looking for and to what extent they are limiting themselves. If they're looking for completely unknown songs only, completely finished (including lead vocals) that only need to be mixed properly, the ice may indeed a bit thin, but there's stuff on bootlegs that I'd love to get in perfect quality, and there must be similar stuff (outtakes, different versions, rehearsals, whatever) that has not seen the light of day on any bootleg and that is even unknown in hardcore collector's circles. Plus, of course, live material.

Maybe they want to finish off songs (like on Some Girls and Exile deluxe) so they need at least complete backing tracks, not just ideas or session jams. I don't think Jagger & co. are interested in alternate takes or alternate mixes.

The only instrumentals I can think of (that could be used as backing tracks) are Potted Shrimp and Leather Jacket. The other (known) instrumentals have already been used for Exile reissue (like Dancing in the Light).
The other problem I see is many outtakes from Let It Bleed/Sticky Fingers sessions have already been released on Metamorphosis (I'm Going Down, Jiving Sister Fanny...). One track that remains unreleased is Travelling Man though. Of course the other outtake that could be used is Schoolboy Blues (but I don't think it will happen).
They could also include early versions of SF tracks such as Sister Morphine (from Beggars Banquet sessions) and Brown Sugar (from Muscle Schoals sessions).

Yep, but also Exile Deluxe included some alternate/early takes of released songs - Loving Cup, Soul Survivor, Good Time Woman and All Down The Line (Japan exclusive).

But what are we talking about? A Sticky Fingers Deluxe Edition will most likely include the original album on Disc One, plus about ten "unreleased" tracks on Disc 2. Potted Shrimp, Leather Jacket and Travelling Man are already three. Plus Hillside Blues = four. The early version of Sister Morphine = five. The Marquee live version of I Got The Blues, properly mixed from multitracks = six. Brown Sugar Keith Birthday party version with Clapton = seven. Wild Horses with strings = eight. Who Am I? as a "fun track" like Title 5 = nine. Two or three more which we don't know should be possible. Maybe Let It Rock and Roll Over Beethoven from a tour rehearsal. Plus - who knows?

And, of course, in case they're a bit hesitant to have it as a general release, they could have CS BLues as a Japan exclusive track or as a special bonus for a super-expensive Super Deluxe Edition....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 8, 2014 01:18

alimente
kowalski
alimente

Yep, but also Exile Deluxe included some alternate/early takes of released songs - Loving Cup, Soul Survivor, Good Time Woman and All Down The Line (Japan exclusive).

But what are we talking about? A Sticky Fingers Deluxe Edition will most likely include the original album on Disc One, plus about ten "unreleased" tracks on Disc 2. Potted Shrimp, Leather Jacket and Travelling Man are already three. Plus Hillside Blues = four. The early version of Sister Morphine = five. The Marquee live version of I Got The Blues, properly mixed from multitracks = six. Brown Sugar Keith Birthday party version with Clapton = seven. Wild Horses with strings = eight. Who Am I? as a "fun track" like Title 5 = nine. Two or three more which we don't know should be possible. Maybe Let It Rock and Roll Over Beethoven from a tour rehearsal. Plus - who knows?

And, of course, in case they're a bit hesitant to have it as a general release, they could have CS BLues as a Japan exclusive track or as a special bonus for a super-expensive Super Deluxe Edition....

Another release of Good Time Women. That will take on the new role of Everything Is Turning To Gold...

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: December 8, 2014 11:25

KRiffhard

- Travellin man
- Hillside Blues
- Co.cksuker Blues
- Criss Cross Man
- Trident Jam
- Highway Child
- Brown sugar (with Eric Clapton)

- Potted Shrimp

I would personnaly prefer tracks that I have never heard and from thye good period...

Posted by: Kevinrm15 ()
Date: December 9, 2014 05:25

Something of interest...I recently noticed that Eagle Rock has been removing videos of Marquee 71 from youtube. I think this is a sign.

Posted by: fullbandwith ()
Date: December 9, 2014 10:02

Well, thats a good sign,as the boot that was up on ytube, looked like an ntsc glorified vhs transcode and as it was shot in pal625 2" video, I for one would love it to be released as it should look. Add the extra tracks too on a delux sticky fingers album .) lets hope your right!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-09 10:36 by fullbandwith.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 9, 2014 14:15

I wonder if this'll be bigger than the Exile rerelease?

I think it has the potential, it's a bigger album in terms of public awareness, has the hot single, and the cover is iconic.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 9, 2014 14:45

georgelicks

A couple of songs from the Exile bonus disk were from 1967 and 1969, Claudine and a few others on the SG bonus were from Emotional Rescue, I can't see the problem with stuff from 1969-1974 on the SF bonus album.[/quote]

I do they do'nt match the "dustbowl" mood of SF. The outtkaes you mention have a sophisticated European vibe. Wasn't Jagger influenced by Bowie at that time?

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 10, 2014 01:08

No more re-recordings...no more songs that are not from the immediate period leading up to the release. Too many bands are jumping on the bandwagon of "deluxe" or "anniversary" editions and throwing anything and everything on the wall that sticks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-10 01:10 by shadooby.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 10, 2014 07:19

shadooby
No more re-recordings...no more songs that are not from the immediate period leading up to the release. Too many bands are jumping on the bandwagon of "deluxe" or "anniversary" editions and throwing anything and everything on the wall that sticks.

I just want the best songs, no matter where they come from. Some of them have been great, regardless of whether they've been fiddled with or not.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 10, 2014 09:20

24FPS
shadooby

I just want the best songs, no matter where they come from. Some of them have been great, regardless of whether they've been fiddled with or not.

Yeah I agree, good songs should rule the process. Besides if there are re-recordings on great songs, it's equivalent to getting new output from the Stones, which lots of people have been missing. And from the golden era, what could be better?

peace

Date: December 12, 2014 19:11

treaclefingers

I think it has the potential, it's a bigger album in terms of public awareness, has the hot single, and the cover is iconic.

Hold yer horses there. Potential? Just what planet are you on saying SF has more potential than EOMS? Potential? Ahhhhh potential is a dumb word. It's stupid too. It's really dumb. It's dumber than dumb. It's pointless. It has no point.

Date: December 12, 2014 19:12

Naturalust
24FPS
shadooby

Yeah I agree, good songs should rule the process. Besides if there are re-recordings on great songs, it's equivalent to getting new output from the Stones, which lots of people have been missing. And from the golden era, what could be better?

peace

The only song I've ever known the Stones to re-record appeared on STRIPPED and the one B-side to a single or whatever, Honest I Do.

Date: December 12, 2014 20:39

GasLightStreet
Naturalust
24FPS
shadooby

peace

The only song I've ever known the Stones to re-record appeared on STRIPPED and the one B-side to a single or whatever, Honest I Do.

I think shadooby is referring to the additional vocal and guitar work done for the Some Girls deluxe release.

peace

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 12, 2014 21:26

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers

Hold yer horses there. Potential? Just what planet are you on saying SF has more potential than EOMS? Potential? Ahhhhh potential is a dumb word. It's stupid too. It's really dumb. It's dumber than dumb. It's pointless. It has no point.

can't you hear me knocking?

Date: December 12, 2014 22:42

The problem with a Sticky Fingers reissue with add'l songs, imo, is that ALL of the songs on the original record were great. Not a single filler among the 10 tracks.

Hard to top that, almost unheard of on any record before or since. Any new stuff runs the risk of detracting rather than adding to that wonderful release. It's like Pink Floyd trying to add add'l songs to Dark Side of the Moon, it was perfect, why screw with it unless to improve sound quality issues and/or introduce multi-channel mixes.

But like others here, I would welcome quality new songs from that era and as long as they were on a separate disc, the integrity of the original release could be somewhat preserved.

peace

Re: 'Sticky Fingers' reissue in December?
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: December 12, 2014 22:56

Kevinrm15
Please Stones please... this is my favorite album.

Please, please, DO NOT tamper with an old album. Do Not add a few second rate never released songs, or new versions of old songs. Try this exercise. Listen to this studio version of Bitch.

[www.youtube.com]

Now tell me, how on earth could this song be made to sound better? With Keith singing vocals, or a slow bluesy version of it. THis is not a rhetorical question.

What, specifically, could the Stones do to this song to make it rock better than the above version?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 12, 2014 23:29

treaclefingers

I doubt that. EXILE just seemed to click so perfectly - its reputation has been builded so strongly among rock press over the years, the story of its making is about the most mythical in rock history - so 'sex and drugs and rock and roll' it ever can be (and a worth of PR DVD), and still it is rather mysterious album for many, since its material is not so obvious, so I guess there was something actually still newsworthy and novel for many listeners to discover. I mean, putting together a title 'everybody knows being among the best albums ever done' but still is not probably not owning it/being familair with, is a good start point for a big scale reissue. It was not only the Rolling Stones diehards to add their collection that put the album #1 in UK and #2 in US...

It could be that the material in STICKY FINGERS is more commercial and having more well-known tracks, but since there is not that 'magical aura', so sexy story involved around it, and that repeated mantra of 'best Rolling Stones/rock and roll album ever', I don't think it gathers so much interest. But I am sure it does much better than SOME GIRLS did (which was almost a flop compared to EXILE, and a reason I think they partly weren't so hurry to relaese another reissues for some time). The time when Stones wrote things like "Brown Sugar" and "Wild Horses" compared writing things like "Miss You" and "Beast of Burden" seems to have remained stronger as far as cultural memory and the taste of non-diehard fan audiences go. In 1971 the Stones still were still defining the zeitgeist, world's most relevant act, and not just trying to follow the times and still trying to be relevant.

As I have understood - Don Was saying? - TATTOO YOU will be the next (and probably the last) one - 'the last great Stones album', and the one still having memorable songs - and then the commercially potential cards they have in their hands are used. But how much easier it would be promote LET IT BLEED or BEGGARS BANQUET, maybe even AFTERMATH albums - no one can imagine how much the Klein deal still pisses them... Anyway, TATTOO YOU bonus album would be easy one to do because they can, with a justification, collect all the best unreleased things they did during 1972-81... There should be not problems like they have now with STICKY FINGERS about the amount of material.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-12 23:33 by Doxa.

Date: December 13, 2014 00:06

flilflam
Kevinrm15

Please, please, DO NOT tamper with an old album. Do Not add a few second rate never released songs, or new versions of old songs. Try this exercise. Listen to this studio version of Bitch.

[www.youtube.com]

Now tell me, how on earth could this song be made to sound better? With Keith singing vocals, or a slow bluesy version of it. THis is not a rhetorical question.

What, specifically, could the Stones do to this song to make it rock better than the above version?

I agree this one would be tough to top. The only thing I can think of is a radical 5.1 mix with each relative part in it's own speaker. Turn the volume UP and walla, you're onstage with the Stones. And for musicians and record producers, being able to truly separate the parts is invaluable education.

And yes I will agree with you and repeat, please keep any new material on a separate disc.

peace

Date: December 13, 2014 00:07

Doxa, didn't Mick himself say SF?

Date: December 13, 2014 00:15

DandelionPowderman
Doxa, didn't Mick himself say SF?

Yes - with TATTOO YOU comment I meant the next after STICKY FINGERS. It was probably Mick himself mentioning those two albums, not Was.

- Doxa

Date: December 13, 2014 00:26

Now since my memory starts to serve me.... Those rumoured sessions the band did a year ago (fall 2013), what they actually were doing? Or did those sessions actually took place at all? It was strongly rumoured that there was a new album coming on, but then, since that never happened, more modarate conclusion was that they were doing STICKY FINGERS bonus material. What Was now says is that the whole STICKY FINGERS project is just in a stage of finding suitable material from the vaults, that educated guess was seemingly also inaccurate...confused smiley

Over-dubbing SWEET SUMMER SUN or even now released archive DVDs....???cool smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-13 00:28 by Doxa.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 13, 2014 00:38

Naturalust
GasLightStreet
Naturalust
24FPS
shadooby

peace

I think shadooby is referring to the additional vocal and guitar work done for the Some Girls deluxe release.

peace

Exactly, same with the Exile deluxe release. Although I agree, any new music is great.

Date: December 13, 2014 07:48

flilflam
Kevinrm15

[www.youtube.com]

What in the world makes you think they'd tinker with what's already been done?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 13, 2014 13:26

The great news is we only have to wait 3 months for this release!! If it's equal in content to EOMS It will be fun. Plus the marketing machine should crank up in January(hopefully David Fricke) and we'll get some juicy details......and then another 3 months for Keith's solo album.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1633
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home