Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 58
Re: 'Sticky Fingers' reissue in 2014?
Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: November 23, 2013 13:05

is this thing now confirmed or are we just talking rumours?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 23, 2013 13:16

smokeydusky
Is there an easy way to identify from the covers which SHM-CD release has the 2009 remastering vs. flat transfer?

If you look at the "obi" (the blue stripe on the left), among the Japanese characters you can find "2011" and "DSD". This means the CD is made from the 2011 flat transfer.

Another way is to look at the catalog number.

Love You Live flat transfer : UICY-76018

It's Only Rock'n Roll flat transfer : UICY-76017

Black and Blue flat transfer : UICY-75932

Goats Head Soup flat transfer : UICY-75931

Some Girls flat transfer : UICY-75887

Sticky Fingers flat transfer : UICY-40011

Tattoo You flat transfer : UICY-75763

Exile On Main St. flat transfer : UICY-75762

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 23, 2013 15:42

liddas

Fu** you! You just forced me to buy my umpteenth copy Sticky Fingers ...

C

Put the blame on Universal, not on me. cool smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 23, 2013 20:55

frankotero
This looks great but they talk about what makes a perfect vinyl replica, how about having the original label printed on the CD. Maybe that's planned for the next re-issue?

I won't be 100% happy until they put the original tongue back on the jacket.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 23, 2013 21:01

GasLightStreet
frankotero
This looks great but they talk about what makes a perfect vinyl replica, how about having the original label printed on the CD. Maybe that's planned for the next re-issue?

I won't be 100% happy until they put the original tongue back on the jacket.

How happy are you with the current tongue iteration?

If it's more than 50%, I think you can round up, which means you're 100% satisfied.

That isn't me talking, that's just simple math.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-24 17:32 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: November 23, 2013 23:46

kowalski
smokeydusky
Is there an easy way to identify from the covers which SHM-CD release has the 2009 remastering vs. flat transfer?

If you look at the "obi" (the blue stripe on the left), among the Japanese characters you can find "2011" and "DSD". This means the CD is made from the 2011 flat transfer.

Thanks!!

Posted by: Kevinrm15 ()
Date: December 18, 2013 05:10

Bump. Any more news on this? Think this'll be re-released in time for the tour next year?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 18, 2013 14:35

I'm really hoping this is true. My favorite Stones album and IMO is desperately in need of a remaster and deluxe edition.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 18, 2013 14:37

I expect I'll buy it.

...and then, as usual, go back to listening to my original vinyl pressing .

I've yet to hear a re-master or re-issue of anything that can hold a candle to a early original release, from the then new original tapes and nice fresh stampers.

You can literally hear the air on an original release and this gets incresaingly lost down the years with each subsequent generation of tapes and every re-master.
[be they analogue or digital].

You can make old tapes sound fresh by tweaking the EQ to give an impression of clarity and detail, but you can't put back the real low level information that's lost with time and with every transfer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-18 14:48 by Spud.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 18, 2013 14:40

Kevinrm15
Bump. Any more news on this? Think this'll be re-released in time for the tour next year?

Nothing official, but others here have said it'll be released next year at some point. I think the Hyde Park release and planning for the upcoming shows have pushed it's release back a little. I'm looking forward to this release. Hopefully the bonus disc will include some vintage live-performances from the '71 'Goodbye Britain' tour.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 18, 2013 17:10

If they do a deluxe edition, I'd be more than happy if they just used the flat transfer, perhaps with a tad more bass. As it stands, the flat transfer used on the SHM SACD and the platinum CD sound great - I was particularly impressed by "Sister Morphine" and "Dead Flowers", which sound like you're in the studio. The only track I was disappointed with was "I've Got the Blues" which still sounds dull and washed out and, to me, could use some skillful EQ.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 18, 2013 19:32

I noticed from the credits that Sticky Fingers, probably the strongest lineup of songs of the 'Big 4' albums, has Bill on every cut. No mucking about on this one.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: December 19, 2013 06:56

I hope so. I know this won't happen but I wish they'd add the acoustic version of "All down the line" to the outtakes. I realise it's outta chronological order but nonetheless.

I have no idea why it was skipped on "Exile" outtakes. Especially for the pointless mumbling of Keith to a completed backing track on "Soul survivor" and whatever that piece of garbage instrumental from Their Satanics was.

Mind you I think the album is perfect the way it is. I have the remaster and still listen to the original pressing of the cd instead.

I think along with Black and Blue it's the best production they ever did. But B&B is 7/10.

Sticky is a flat 10 smoking smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 19, 2013 07:23

24FPS
I noticed from the credits that Sticky Fingers, probably the strongest lineup of songs of the 'Big 4' albums, has Bill on every cut. No mucking about on this one.

Yes, but he plays electric piano instead of bass on "You Gotta Move".

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 19, 2013 19:43

71Tele
24FPS

Yes, but he plays electric piano instead of bass on "You Gotta Move".

There is no bass to play, but he still contributes. (Although for the life of me I can't pick out any piano playing at all).

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 19, 2013 20:09

In the time being, I am loving this Japanese reissue. Don't know what it is exactly, but it has the depth and the warmth that Vergins didn't have.

C

Date: January 1, 2014 19:46

Happy New Year !!! Let's bump this for good luck !!

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: January 1, 2014 19:55

liddas
it has the depth and the warmth that Vergins didn't have.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: January 2, 2014 01:04

I really have been blown away by the SHM SACD's from Japan...Exiles and Black & Blue are amazing, I just got Emotional Rescue, Undercover and Dirty Work earlier today but haven't listened to them yet...every one I've listened to so far(Beggars Banquuet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exiles, IORR, Black & Blue and Some Girls) have been major upgrades over anything I've heard previously!

Mick on Sticky Fingers reissue
Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: October 13, 2014 03:24

From RS; " I think SF is the next one. I dont know how much is there in terms of other songs or out takes. Part of which was done then became Exile. But I haven't immersed myself in it. Ive gotta do that, I GUESS "

Re: Mick on Sticky Fingers reissue
Date: October 13, 2014 03:29

I think I would rather see a Jagger-induced mid 70's re-release. Something cebtering on GHS/IORR/B&B. Because like Jagger said: Exile overlaps with SF.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: October 13, 2014 03:40

Palace Revolution 2000
I think I would rather see a Jagger-induced mid 70's re-release. Something cebtering on GHS/IORR/B&B. Because like Jagger said: Exile overlaps with SF.

Over Sticky Fingers???? No way.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 13, 2014 04:15

There is still plenty that could be done with Sticky Fingers. And sounds like we will have quite a while to wait, as Jagger hasn't even begun looking at it. And why is it just Jagger? Keith? And they should call up their historian Bill! Seriously, they could add a lot of alternate takes and a few live shows from the Farewell Tour!

Date: October 14, 2014 01:27

DrPete
From RS; " I think SF is the next one. I dont know how much is there in terms of other songs or out takes. Part of which was done then became Exile. But I haven't immersed myself in it. Ive gotta do that, I GUESS "

Link please ?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 14, 2014 02:25

Kevinrm15
DrPete

Link please ?

Here's a scan from that article: [www.iorr.org]

Date: October 14, 2014 05:23

mighty stork
Palace Revolution 2000

Over Sticky Fingers???? No way.

Nothing against SF. Love it love it. But we will be getting the Jagger version of whatever album; and I dont think he will give us much we dont already know and have.
For Exile he reached as far back as Trident sessions. I am afraid he has pulled out what he would release from that whole post LIB era.
But I could be wrong.
I still think Jagger should flatout sub the job out to someone here. And I am not saying this in some starry eyed dream wish; give the job to someone like Gazza. A mega fan, a name he probably knows of.

Re: 'Sticky Fingers' reissue in 2015?
Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 14, 2014 22:47

Great news if true!
Maybe @#$%& Blues get's an official release on the DeLuxe Sticky Fingers, would be great. It was recorded in the same area may-august 1970.
For this release all outtakes from 68 till even early Goat's Head Soup outtakes from 72 can be used. There are lots of ideas, instrumentals, workingtitles, early versions (Silver Train, 100 Years Ago), a Jimi Hendrix cover Red House and songs known from bootlegs (Hill Side Blues, Travellin'Man, I Don't Know Why -from Metamorphosis- , Fast Talking Slow Walking, Untitled instr. from The Nicky Hopkins exile tape.
smileys with beer

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 15, 2014 18:10

Palace Revolution 2000

we will be getting the Jagger version of whatever album; and I dont think he will give us much we dont already know and have.

Yeah I do'nt imagine him being too keen on giving us complete versions of the two bits of songs that joined together brougth out CYHMK.
Jagger is a magician and a magician doesn't reveal his tricks.

Plus if you remember that song-by-song that got released around 93 or 94 the author said after SF was completed Jagger scratched the remaining tapes on the floor so there would be no useable extra material from the album.

Date: October 15, 2014 18:26

Another way of doing a SF Deluxe release is to add some songs from back then:

Fast Talking, Slow Walking
Hillside Blues (I Don't Know The Reason Why)
Travellin' Man

+ a live album (Leeds - or preferably a different 1971-show)

+ a DVD (The Marquee show - or preferably a different 1971-show)

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 16, 2014 00:11

Love re-reading the credits and comments on this record, those and the photos on the inner sleeve of this record are burned into my synapses permanently.

The comment thanking the engineers and all who had patience to spend 2 million hours going over these tunes is classic. The tunes are not very complex in terms of instrumentation, I'm sure less time is spent these days on songs with a lot more tracks. Maybe that is one of the reasons why the records from the golden era were so damn good. Lots of people spending lots of time making sure the final product was perfect. peace

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1943
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home