Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 58
Re: 'Sticky Fingers' reissue in 2014?
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 25, 2013 02:40

Godxofxrock9
kowalski
bye bye johnny
Stones Planet Brazil reports the reissue has been postponed to the first quarter of next year.

Hopefully they'll use a new remaster and not the awful 2009 remaster...
the 1986 masters are the best imo

For some albums, not all. Sticky Fingers doesn't sound so good on the 1986 master - very thin sound. On the other hand Exile sounds quite good.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: October 25, 2013 03:03

kowalski
Godxofxrock9
kowalski
bye bye johnny
Stones Planet Brazil reports the reissue has been postponed to the first quarter of next year.

For some albums, not all. Sticky Fingers doesn't sound so good on the 1986 master - very thin sound. On the other hand Exile sounds quite good.

interesting, whats considered the best master? are the HDtracks any pop? (if there are any?)

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: October 25, 2013 03:08

kowalski
Godxofxrock9
kowalski
bye bye johnny

You know i think i have the virgin 1994 remaster of exile

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 25, 2013 03:34

Godxofxrock9
kowalski
Godxofxrock9
kowalski
bye bye johnny

You know i think i have the virgin 1994 remaster of exile

Yes, I prefer the Virgin remaster to the 1986 version of Exile.

I think I have Sticky, Exile, Dirty Work and Emotional Rescue on the Virgin Reissue...it doesn't really matter for Dirty Work because I never listen to it!

Date: October 25, 2013 04:46

Captainchaos
kowalski
Godxofxrock9
kowalski
bye bye johnny

interesting, whats considered the best master? are the HDtracks any pop? (if there are any?)

HDTracks downloads are made from 2002 DSD remasters. Compared to CD versions made from the same remasters, they don't have limited peaks (unlike the CD) and sound much better.

For Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street I'd say the best versions available on CD are the new SHM-CD released for Japan. Virgin versions are very good too but unfortunately they were obviously limited during final mastering stage (to have a louder sound). Which makes the sound quite muffled... That's why I prefer the original CD's for some albums because they have a wider dynamic range.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 26, 2013 03:12

This would be very cool and I'd buy it for the bonus material which, IMO, should include a re-mastered Live at Leeds and all of the early Mick Taylor era outtakes like the Trident and Olympic jams/songs.

Date: October 26, 2013 03:34

TravelinMan
This would be very cool and I'd buy it for the bonus material which, IMO, should include a re-mastered Live at Leeds and all of the early Mick Taylor era outtakes like the Trident and Olympic jams/songs.

If you promise it will actually have all that I'll put my preorder in now!

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 26, 2013 15:20

That's great. Sticky Fingers is my #1 record by the Rolling Stones and therefore my favorite rock album among them all. I love all the tracks on it, I believe the sleeve is amazing and that was the first time the stones' logo was used. It'sn't a "fun" record like Some Girls, it's rather gloomy and moody but it is ,in my world, a masterpiece.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 26, 2013 17:52

treaclefingers
TravelinMan

You're already in preorder now - there's nothing to order so it's preorder - BEFORE ordering. You make it so complicated sometimes.

Date: October 26, 2013 19:18

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
TravelinMan

You're already in preorder now - there's nothing to order so it's preorder - BEFORE ordering. You make it so complicated sometimes.

Look skippy, I don't want no guff...I just wanna be front of the line.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 26, 2013 21:31

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
TravelinMan

Look skippy, I don't want no guff...I just wanna be front of the line.

You are in the front of the line. Always. Until you order. Then the order of the order you are in line of for ordering is all askew.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 20, 2013 16:53

There's a re-release of Sticky Fingers in Japan. Not the deluxe edition yet, though.

"This is a brand new Japanese release (UICY-75886) of The Rolling Stones classic 1971 album Sticky Fingers. The album comes packaged in true mini-LP CD form, replicating in precise detail the original vinyl, including a jeans with working zipper and belt buckle, which when unfastened, reveal well-filled underpants beneath.

The sheet insert from the original release is identical (except smaller..) as is the rear cover which featured the debut of what is now basically The ‘Stones corporate logo – the ‘tongue & lips’.

Anyway… amazing though this new Japanese packaging is, it’s pleasing to say that you would want to buy this for the SOUND of the album even if the presentation was rubbish. Put simply, this is a truly stunning version of Sticky Fingers.

Highly recommended, if you can track one down".

[www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Date: November 21, 2013 02:27

Cristiano Radtke
There's a re-release of Sticky Fingers in Japan. Not the deluxe edition yet, though.

"This is a brand new Japanese release (UICY-75886) of The Rolling Stones classic 1971 album Sticky Fingers. The album comes packaged in true mini-LP CD form, replicating in precise detail the original vinyl, including a jeans with working zipper and belt buckle, which when unfastened, reveal well-filled underpants beneath.

The sheet insert from the original release is identical (except smaller..) as is the rear cover which featured the debut of what is now basically The ‘Stones corporate logo – the ‘tongue & lips’.

Anyway… amazing though this new Japanese packaging is, it’s pleasing to say that you would want to buy this for the SOUND of the album even if the presentation was rubbish. Put simply, this is a truly stunning version of Sticky Fingers.

This new CD is made with the 2011 DSD transfer from original master tapes. It's a flat transfer, ie not compromised by "modern mastering trends"... You'll get the sound of the original recording, as close as it can get on a CD.

As they say on superdeluxe :
"We’re as sceptical as everyone else about SHM or Blu-spec CD2 or whatever the latest ‘improvement’ is to encourage us to buy the same album yet again, but the proof is in the Sticky Fingers pudding. This is a phenomenal listen even in ‘non platinum’ form. VERY analogue sound, warm, natural, lots of clarity and separation, but smooth with it. Quite a low volume level (lower than the ’94 Virgin reissues) but distinctly better than the Virgin, or any other CD version we’ve heard. What they appear to have done is concentrate on the very best flat transfer that can be created, rather than ‘lets-try-and-make-it-sound-better’."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-21 02:29 by kowalski.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: November 21, 2013 15:16

Hi all,I recon the "Live at Leeds" BBC concert is all there is.I"m pretty sure the complete gig would have surfaced by now.About 5 years ago BBC Radio 6 replayed the gig and they included the encor Let it Rock(which they didnt originaly)Whats available is still brilliant.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 21, 2013 17:21

Cristiano Radtke

Fu** you! You just forced me to buy my umpteenth copy Sticky Fingers ...

C

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 21, 2013 17:26

liddas
Cristiano Radtke

Fu** you! You just forced me to buy my umpteenth copy Sticky Fingers ...

C

>grinning smiley<

I'll stick with my original pressing vinyl... and my MF half speed master for a more relaxing listen when the mood requires.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 21, 2013 22:27

Spud

I'll stick with my original pressing vinyl... and my MF half speed master for a more relaxing listen when the mood requires.

The original master tape doesn't have vinyl crackles on it. grinning smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 21, 2013 22:42

This looks great but they talk about what makes a perfect vinyl replica, how about having the original label printed on the CD. Maybe that's planned for the next re-issue?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 22, 2013 01:15

Yeah I had to order it. The Amazon US price is crazy. The Amazon Canadian looks like it is out of stock, and the UK has two copies left, not too bad a price.

Date: November 22, 2013 01:22

Is the SHM-CD release of Their Satanic Majesties Request from a few years ago also a flat transfer?

Date: November 22, 2013 01:23

whitem8
Yeah I had to order it. The Amazon US price is crazy. The Amazon Canadian looks like it is out of stock, and the UK has two copies left, not too bad a price.

I checked yesterday and it was in stock in Canada...what was it, $50?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 22, 2013 05:24

It is 73 dollars Canadian, and yeah they have it stock now. ONE! Says order soon. I got it from that JapanCD site.

Date: November 22, 2013 14:46

His Majesty
Is the SHM-CD release of Their Satanic Majesties Request from a few years ago also a flat transfer?

Flat transfers : 1971-1986 albums (including live albums)

60's albums issued on SHM-CD are made from Bob Ludwig 2002 DSD remasters.

Date: November 22, 2013 15:00

His Majesty
Spud

Some tape hiss, though winking smiley

Date: November 22, 2013 15:27

kowalski
His Majesty

Thanks. smileys with beer

Date: November 22, 2013 15:27

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
Spud

Indeed. grinning smiley

Date: November 22, 2013 15:54

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
Spud

Indeed. grinning smiley

YES! Love my tape hiss. IT IS MEMOREX!

Posted by: tklawson ()
Date: November 22, 2013 20:09

kowalski
His Majesty

Well, not quite yet. Anything that came out before September of 2013, uses old masterings. The only ones released with flat transfers on SHM-CD are Sticky Exile, Some Girls and Tattoo You. Goat's Head Soup and Black and Blue come out next week, and Love You Live and IORR come out in December. All 1971-1986 albums are available as flat transfer on SHM-SACD.

Date: November 22, 2013 21:49

tklawson
kowalski
His Majesty

Well, not quite yet. Anything that came out before September of 2013, uses old masterings. The only ones released with flat transfers on SHM-CD are Sticky Exile, Some Girls and Tattoo You. Goat's Head Soup and Black and Blue come out next week, and Love You Live and IORR come out in December. All 1971-1986 albums are available as flat transfer on SHM-SACD.

Of course you're right. I forgot to add that all albums originally released after 1971 were already issued on SHM-CD with the 2009 remastering. Needless to say they don't sound as good as the current flat transfers SHM-CD.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: November 23, 2013 09:00

Is there an easy way to identify from the covers which SHM-CD release has the 2009 remastering vs. flat transfer?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1313
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home