Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Stray Cat Blues
Date: August 15, 2013 21:30

Why should a 44 be the devil and not death... smiling smiley

Date: August 15, 2013 22:12

lem motlow
pinkfloydthebarber

i m not saying the song offends my sensibilities. i m saying jagger wrote it purposely to provoke the social norms of the times, to which the rock and roll lifestyle did not conform

what i mean by 'stupid' is the lyrical content of the track IS stupid - underage sex - is stupid like how jaggers lyrics in 'dancing with mr d' are insipidly stupid, when he tried to push the whole spooky devil crap for a little too long

1.thats an incredibly naive take on stray cat blues.mick was more than likely giving a description of not only a true story,but one that probably played out in his living room on many occasions.
in those days giving the girls ages would have been more of a come on to other young girls than an attempt to be outrageous.as far as it being "stupid" -you do realise what the term "rock and roll" means right?

2.the lyrics in dancing with mr d have nothing,zero,zilch zip to do with satanic imagery,the devil or anything of the sort.

huh? you say its 'naive' that i think jagger did not have to be personally invloved with any 13 years olds but instead wrote a song about it and sang it to push the social norm envelope .. you think that is 'naive?'

when your response is you think it is 'likely' jagger 'probably' did? that doesnt sounds too overly convincing in its own right, mate; you are just guessing

i am not saying stuff like this didnt occur - what i am saying - i guess i have to spell it out - is that it didnt have to occur to jagger for him to write a song characterizing it

i suppose you think jagger really rode on flight 505 that crashed at sea too? or are you going to tell me he 'probably' did?

and mr d? that can be interpreted any millions of ways

once the character in the song dies he feels he'll be with mr/mistress D. and dancing free

read it how you want, any way you do though its a lousy song with stupid lyrics that wouldnt scare my 5 yr old grandson. its much better on brussels affair at least.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-15 22:21 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 16, 2013 00:42

It's about death. Period.

Down in the graveyard where we have our tryst
The air smells sweet, the air smells sick
He never smiles, his mouth merely twists
The breath in my lungs feels clinging and thick
But I know his name, he's called Mr. D.
And one of these days he's gonna set you free
Human skulls is hangin' right 'round his neck
The palms of my hands is clammy and wet

Lord, I was dancin', dancin', dancin' so free
Dancin', dancin', dancin' so free
Dancin', Lord, keep your hand off me
Dancin' with Mr. D., with Mr. D., with Mr. D.

Will it be poison put in my glass
Will it be slow or will it be fast?
The bite of a snake, the sting of a spider
A drink of Belladonna on a Toussaint night
Hiding in a corner in New York City
Lookin' down a fourty-four in West Virginia

I was dancin', dancin', dancin'
blah blah

One night I was dancin' with a lady in black
Wearin' black silk gloves and a black silk hat
She looked at me longin' with black velvet eyes
She gazed at me strange all cunning and wise
Then I saw the flesh just fall off her bones
The eyes in her skull was burning like coals
Lord, have mercy, fire and brimstone
I was dancin' with Mistress D.

OK, back to SCB.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 16, 2013 01:02

mr d is pretty obvious,so that settles that.look up mackenzie phillips encounter with mick and notice what he said to her..."i've wanted you since.."

i'm not trying to make mick look bad,like i said things were different then but to think he's just saying things for effect you'd have to also believe they were talking about drugs in their songs but not really taking them...just trying to sound outrageous.

jimmy page had a 14 year old girlfriend when he was 28 but you think mick jagger somehow was above this stuff,you're kidding yourself.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: August 16, 2013 10:06

lem motlow
mr d is pretty obvious,so that settles that.look up mackenzie phillips encounter with mick and notice what he said to her..."i've wanted you since.."

i'm not trying to make mick look bad,like i said things were different then but to think he's just saying things for effect you'd have to also believe they were talking about drugs in their songs but not really taking them...just trying to sound outrageous.

jimmy page had a 14 year old girlfriend when he was 28 but you think mick jagger somehow was above this stuff,you're kidding yourself.

Didn´t he wait until she was 18?
I personally don´t care what he did when he was young, as long as he did not rape anyone.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 16, 2013 13:54

elunsi

No.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: August 16, 2013 15:10

His Majesty
elunsi

No.

ähm, I think he did.

Whatever the truth, Mackenzie's revelations about her father have overshadowed her painting of Jagger as a sleazy sexual opportunist with a taste for young girls (though Miss Phillips is quick to point out that the singer was insistent that he considered making a play for her only when she had passed the age of consent

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: August 16, 2013 22:15

Great

Date: August 16, 2013 23:25

elunsi
His Majesty
elunsi

No.

ähm, I think he did.

You think wrong.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 17, 2013 00:53

She was 18. I caught that bit of her OPRAH interview. She obviously thought—since she was 18 when it happened—that audience would find the tale amusing, and was embarrassed when the (square) audence stayed stone silent (no pun intended).

From [blog.zap2it.com] :
On a lighter note, Phillips also recounted how Mick Jagger, a man she grew up knowing, had seduced her when she was 18, locking her father out of the room. "It's a dubious distinction having slept with Mick Jagger," she said. "I mean come on."

A mention in passing at this preview clip:
[www.oprah.com]

Date: August 17, 2013 01:01

Oops, I think and read wrong, I was meaning Page and Lori Maddox. grinning smiley

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 17, 2013 04:56

She said he had a little shlong...

Date: August 17, 2013 05:05

What she DID say is "He had the most perfect ass in history." I only just read that in her book at Google books; that page here >>> [books.google.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 18, 2013 00:43

scottkeef
She said he had a little shlong...

isn't that just a shlort then?

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: August 19, 2013 22:33

Ok for all you lyrics translators out there, what are the words Mick says when the song begins just before the drums kick in? I have never been able to get that one so we are talking what, 45 years? Whatever it is he says though fits perfect and adds to the drama of the intro.

Date: August 19, 2013 23:03

filstan
Ok for all you lyrics translators out there, what are the words Mick says when the song begins just before the drums kick in? I have never been able to get that one so we are talking what, 45 years? Whatever it is he says though fits perfect and adds to the drama of the intro.

[www.iorr.org]

"Got some tail" was what someone suggested at the thread linked above.
On a side note: when Keith explained (in I think HAIL! HAIL!) about Chuck Berry giving him a black eye, he said Chuck was exiting "with some white tail."

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: August 19, 2013 23:11

Didn't see that, but thanks to you and with sssoul for the clarification. It makes sense now!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 23, 2013 23:58

Not bad.............

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 18, 2014 12:58

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-18 13:02 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 18, 2014 13:00

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-18 13:02 by Redhotcarpet.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1469
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home