Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 12
Re: OT: Chuck Berry European Tour 2013 + Birthday Greetings
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 23, 2013 10:52

It is the crowning example of seeing someone just to say you've seen them. Honestly, I'm blown away by how much the audience sticks with him. Not that I'm saying I wouldn't, but this shows a very kind side of human nature. That audience could very easily start getting pissed because in the end they paid for this, yet in every video I've seen the audience really does their best to try and push Chuck along as much as they can.

If he were playing for $30 near me and I was free, I'd go as well, even if I knew full well he sounded horrible. Its still a way for you to see Chuck Berry, and I feel people maybe don't fully understand how much of a waste of money it is until they actually see him.

Redesigned chuckberry.com page
Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: October 23, 2013 04:37

Looks good.

[chuckberry.com]

Re: OT: Chuck Berry European Tour 2013 and more...
Posted by: kristian ()
Date: October 24, 2013 16:59

Going to see him tomorrow nite - if the gig won´t be cancelled.

Yesterday´s gig has been a disaster, according to press reports, because of his ill health - he had fever (why I don´t know) and hickup and couldn´t actually sing. He even apologized stating that "this isn´t just because of my age". But most of the crowd were just as satisfied as they are.

Re: OT: Chuck Berry European Tour 2013
Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: October 24, 2013 17:53

Yazid Manou

Few weeks ago, I've been approached by a producer to promote the Paris show next April.

Thanks for posting the Moscow show. I'll think twice (or more) before taking the job...

YM

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 24, 2013 20:26

Ladies and gentlemen... it is time for everyone on this board to stop defending Chuck Berry. The audience in those clips is reduced to cheering when Chuck luckily hits a CORRECT note. Otherwise it sounds like my first guitar lesson. I still can't play guitar, but thats what I sound like when I make a solid attempt.

He should not be charging money for these shows. Sure, it is his right, but this is COMPLETELY different than the old blues guys. Muddy never did this type of stuff.

Contrast Chuck to Little Richard...

Yes, Little Richard can barely sing, but he can still play piano. I would be happy to hear him play piano and attempt to sing. Chuck can do neither. He looks lost, barely plays anything that resembles his own songs, and the band backing him look embarrassed as soon as they get into the first song.

As a huge Chuck Berry fan, I am sad to see him continue. The fan video of Johnny B. Goode is fun but only because the fan was so into it. He went all out, and turned that concert into glorified karaoke with a guitar legend playing terribly behind him.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 24, 2013 20:54

Sorry Drake, While I agree with and can't argue with much of your post, I'm still going to support Chuck. I don't know why he is choosing to go out the way he is but it appears to be on his terms. I only hope that in 30-40-50 years I'm given the opportunity to go out on my terms as opposed to having someone else make the decision for me.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: October 24, 2013 20:57

flacnvinyl
Ladies and gentlemen... it is time for everyone on this board to stop defending Chuck Berry. The audience in those clips is reduced to cheering when Chuck luckily hits a CORRECT note. Otherwise it sounds like my first guitar lesson. I still can't play guitar, but thats what I sound like when I make a solid attempt.

He should not be charging money for these shows. Sure, it is his right, but this is COMPLETELY different than the old blues guys. Muddy never did this type of stuff.

Contrast Chuck to Little Richard...

sure, rich is still far better, but the piano playing is mostly his pianoplayer

Yes, Little Richard can barely sing, but he can still play piano. I would be happy to hear him play piano and attempt to sing. Chuck can do neither. He looks lost, barely plays anything that resembles his own songs, and the band backing him look embarrassed as soon as they get into the first song.

As a huge Chuck Berry fan, I am sad to see him continue. The fan video of Johnny B. Goode is fun but only because the fan was so into it. He went all out, and turned that concert into glorified karaoke with a guitar legend playing terribly behind him.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 24, 2013 20:57

I don' get why some here are so eager for an 80-something year-old man to continue performing, whilst it is blatantly obvious that he struggles so much.

Posted by: WolfgangG ()
Date: October 24, 2013 23:12

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: see also below

I talked to both Patrick and Charles Junior in Helsinki. Chuck is regularly being checked out by doctors
and he is in great shape. He is definitely in better shape than many people twenty years younger his age.
He is definitely not suffering from dementia and is also not dying (to quote Chuck in Helsinki "I will return!
I ain't dying!" ) as many of us feared. See below the reason why his shows on this tour have been weird to
say the least.

I do not know whether the option of postponing the shows was discussed, but maybe after all this
it would have been a good idea.

Whatever way you look at it: CHUCK BERRY WILL ROCK ON!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: wolfgangguhl@hotmail.com
Subject: HELSINKI SHOW
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 23:50:23 +0400

Statement on tonight show in Helsinki...
Tonight, Chuck has asked to come on stage during his show to apologize to his audience...
For the past few days, he has got a permanent strong hiccups added to a cold, which prevent him to breath well and to sing or even to talk...with a running nose, watery mouth & throat ache...
On top of this, he could not sleep for the past 3 or 4 nights and consequently not be able to rest as he should with our hectic schedule and traveling for a 87 years old man !...
We have been to 2 different clinics in Moscow to cure his recent problem ..he is getting better but with his fatigue tonight he had no power left to do a great show..
With courage and respect for his fans he has still finished his show, which honors him but he wanted me to apologize to the audience for his performance...
Tomorrow we have a day off I hope he will recuperate his strengh for the next show on FRIDAY in OULU - FINLAND ...
I believe all faithful fans understand this temporary health problem even better knowing that in similar situation so many other younger Artists would not have even started the show with simply a running nose !!!
He did and finished it with bravoure....the tour will go on !
Bravo Chuck we love you...

Patrick rocher

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-24 23:13 by WolfgangG.

Date: October 24, 2013 23:29

Helsinki

Roll Over Beethoven

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 25, 2013 00:23

DandelionPowderman
I'm gonna be at the Oslo-show anyhow! thumbs up

Fine but can you honestly say this is good? It's horrible.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 25, 2013 14:48

If Chuck wants to keep working [for love and/or more mercenary reasons] and folks still want to see him, there's no problem with that whatsoever.

I think what he ought to do is go out with a kind of "Chuck Berry Review".

Get an authentic sounding band behind him and stick to the vocals.

If he wants to hang the guitar around his neck and play a few licks, great...we'd all like to see that...but let the band carry the load.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 25, 2013 15:27

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman

I hope this is not how the Stones will end . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-25 15:28 by CousinC.

Date: October 25, 2013 15:30

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman

I never said it was good - I said "anyhow".

Unfortunately, I have a gig myself, so again I will miss the father of rock'n'roll's show in Oslo... sad smiley

Date: October 25, 2013 15:35

Godfather of rock n roll! Dandie, you missed my post in that other thread >grinning smiley<

Date: October 25, 2013 15:45

His best moments:

Others best Chuck Berry moments:

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 25, 2013 16:30

mr_dja
Sorry Drake, While I agree with and can't argue with much of your post, I'm still going to support Chuck. I don't know why he is choosing to go out the way he is but it appears to be on his terms. I only hope that in 30-40-50 years I'm given the opportunity to go out on my terms as opposed to having someone else make the decision for me.

Peace,
Mr DJA

You make a solid point.. As one of those crazy libertarians I guess I have gone against my own policy. Yes, he should have the right to continue to play as long as he likes. It is just plain sad.

If the Stones were completely out of sync because of Charlie, or if we only cheer for Keith and Ronnie when they hit notes that ARE NOT off-key or out of time.. if Mick gets cheers when he catches his breath and sings something that resembles lyrics... it would be embarrassing.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 25, 2013 16:57

Perhaps it is time the promoter(s) warn ticket-buyer's beforehand that the performance could be below an acceptable stand. Have any attendees asked for a refund? I do wonder. Consumers have rights, obviously.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 25, 2013 17:03

Drake, I think "just plain sad" is a good description of the emmotion I'm feeling. Watching my musical and athletic heroes age is getting harder and harder with each passing year. I'm right there with you in the "crazy libertarian" group & find it hard sometimes not to project my own wants, needs, opinions & feelings on the people I have watched for years. I'm constantly having to remind myself that my wants may not be their wants. Hard as it is for me to accept sometimes, I just have to remind myself that I really have no way of knowing the reasons behind the decisions others make when I don't necessarily agree with those decisions. I just have to hope that, in this case anyway, that Chuck is making decisions that he is happy with. Although his current performances may not be of the caliber to make ME happy, I try to draw at least a bit of contentment with the thought that I'll just be happy thinking that Chuck is happy. At least I hope he is.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: October 25, 2013 17:14

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman

LOL :-D :-D
Honestly, I have never seen anyone on a stage playing THAT bad. This doesn't sound like music anymore.
I thought the Stones had their disastrous moments on stage, but compared to this performance everything the Stones every did was virtuouso.

How either demented or superinflated does one's ego have to be to put on a show like that and not bother?

That's inacceptable.

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: October 25, 2013 17:59

I´ll give you my report on the show tomorrow, still 4 hours for him to go on stage.

But regarding this, one might hesitate to use the the word, discussion:

I´m not expecting to see a 30-year young newcomer to do Roll over Beethoven, Maybelline, Too Much Monkey Business and You can´t Catch me with Johnnie Johnson and Ebby Hardin and inventing DuckWalk while bored during the simple solo of Maybelline, as he did in Brooklyn Paramount back in 1956.

Date: October 25, 2013 18:08

And people laughing at him.

What the heck is this. It's not making any sense.

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: October 25, 2013 20:31

Redhotcarpet
And people laughing at him.

What the heck is this. It's not making any sense.

Wtf?! This really doesn't make any sense. Like a little boy at his first guitar lesson. This is beyond embarrassing. Why would anyone do that? Is he suffering from dementia?

Posted by: Berry88 ()
Date: October 25, 2013 20:56

I'm a huge Berry fan, but those videos are horrible.

If someone is taking adventage of Chuck, this is a really sad situation.

If not, Berry has earned the right to do whatever he wants, even this awful sound that we can hear in the videos. Chuck doesn't seem to be the kind of person who can be used by others.

Anyway, for us, the fans, this is more tragic than see Muhammad Ali taking punchs from Larry Holmes or Trevor Berbick.

But, hey, if Berry feels ok, who are we to say anything about?

Let's remember him in his great days:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-25 21:13 by Berry88.

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: October 25, 2013 21:11

I saw him playing in Montevideo this year and it was very , very sad, since i look up to him as a hero, as someone i owe so much too.
I was quite critizised in IORR because of me saying this, but man , it´s inevitable....
If someone is taking advantage of Chuck , its even worse....

disaster of Chuck Berry
Posted by: seitan ()
Date: October 25, 2013 14:22

Chuck Berry gig in Finland was absolute disaster, sad to say..but at some point is time to retire, love Berry - but enough is enough. Why do they drive this guy to ground with a constant touring. Have respect. At some point is time to retire.

Chuck's son apologised for fans

Re: disaster of Chuck Berry
Date: October 25, 2013 14:34

Maybe you should retire from posting on here as bitter and frustrated as you are. Do you even read this forum?

If so, have a look at this thread instead of opening another one: [www.iorr.org]

And read the explanation given for the weird show. Do not judge him by the shows he has given on this tour so far.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-25 14:36 by WolfgangG.

Date: October 25, 2013 15:07

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-25 15:08 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: October 25, 2013 15:27

WolfgangG
Maybe you should retire from posting on here as bitter and frustrated as you are. Do you even read this forum?

If so, have a look at this thread instead of opening another one: [www.iorr.org]

And read the explanation given for the weird show. Do not judge him by the shows he has given on this tour so far.

Dear, WolfgangG

- If you have a problem with what i post - you don't have to read it. I dont judge Berry by this tour, but I judge this tour as a disaster. He is in no-condition to tour anymore.He hasnt been in last decade or so. I dont judge him at all as a person, but I do love the wonderful music he has written in his past, sadly - He can longer deliver it..I dont judge you by your posting either but you could kiss my ass and leave.

Date: October 25, 2013 15:34

WolfgangG

C'mon now, he's really old and he cant play anymore. Thats alright. Chuck Berry will always be Chuck Berry, the Godfather of rock n roll.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1683
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home