Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
1976 - may be the best Keith of all times - just listen
Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 9, 2013 12:30

[www.youtube.com][/video]

Re: 1976 - may be the best Keith of all times - just listen
Date: August 9, 2013 12:34

He had a good gig in Paris, that's for sure.

Regarding the circumstances, he did amazingly well thumbs up

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 9, 2013 13:03

I love the 1976 tour. It comes in for bad press but if you were there then it was sheer magic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-09 21:56 by Silver Dagger.

Date: August 9, 2013 13:06

You were at Earl's Court, weren't you, Mike?

Date: August 9, 2013 13:30

Yup. 5 nights and then at knebworth. I only had tickets for 2 of the Earls Ct shows but crashed the doors twice and then offered to work for security on the last night and was given a t-shirt to do so. As soon as they came on off came the t-shirt and I was down the front taking photos.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: August 9, 2013 13:42

Silver Dagger
Yup. 5 nights and then at knebworth. I only had tickets for 2 of the Earls Ct shows but crashed the doors twice and then offered to work for security on the last night and was given a t-shirt to do so. As soon as they came on off came the t-shirt and I was down the front taking photos.

All 5 nights and Knebworth? That's pretty cool!
Do any of the 5 Earls Court shows stand out as the best?
I know that these shows are not highly regarded but as you saw all 5 shows, maybe you could shed some light on things?

Date: August 9, 2013 13:43

thumbs up

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 9, 2013 13:50

DandelionPowderman
He had a good gig in Paris, that's for sure.
Regarding the circumstances, he did amazingly well thumbs up

If we're talking June 6th ... yes, Keith dealt with the circumstances by doing the very best thing he knows.
The solid support he was getting from his cohorts is admirable as well.

All kinds of joy and blessings on the Rolling Stones, and thanks and praises.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 9, 2013 13:51

Knebworth was a long day ,

I was sixteen then...not sure I'd hack it now ;^)

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 9, 2013 14:04

Silver Dagger
and then offered to work for security on the last night and was given a t-shirt to do so.

Haha, those were the days! drinking smiley

Date: August 9, 2013 14:23

vudicus
Silver Dagger

I know that these shows are not highly regarded but as you saw all 5 shows, maybe you could shed some light on things?

The last night was incredible and if memory serves me right, they might even have had elephants up on stage when they did Sympathy For The devil. They only played an encore a few nights.

The gigs at Earls Court were really magical. In fact that whole spring and summer of 76 in London was magical. There was a sense of something about to happen...or kids getting together to form bands or just stay up late through that hot hot summer to talk about music. Later on we found out that many did and that was how punk was born in London.

Patti Smith had played two shows at the Roundhouse earlier in May and then those 6 Stones shows put the icing on the cake. I must have been mad but I missed one show because of a secret Jeff Beck gig at the Roundhouse were he played material off his incredible Blow By Blow album. I figured that 5 shows was enough. Wouldn't do that now of course!

And as you walked into Earls Court the magic began. There was a carnival atmosphere with circus entertainers and dancers walking round the vast auditorium before the support act, The Meters, came on and then again during the interval. It was such a hot ticket too. I think there were something like a million ticket applications for the six shows.

When the shows were over we thought that would be it for ages until we saw the Stones again but during a cricket match, I believe, a bloke ran onto the pitch with a banner proclaiming "the Stones wiull play". I wonder who that was and what he is doing now. That was the first advert for Knebworth.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: August 9, 2013 15:02

Silver Dagger
vudicus
Silver Dagger

The last night was incredible and if memory serves me right, they might even have had elephants up on stage when they did Sympathy For The devil. They only played an encore a few nights.

The gigs at Earls Court were really magical. In fact that whole spring and summer of 76 in London was magical. There was a sense of something about to happen...or kids getting together to form bands or just stay up late through that hot hot summer to talk about music. Later on we found out that many did and that was how punk was born in London.

Patti Smith had played two shows at the Roundhouse earlier in May and then those 6 Stones shows put the icing on the cake. I must have been mad but I missed one show because of a secret Jeff Beck gig at the Roundhouse were he played material off his incredible Blow By Blow album. I figured that 5 shows was enough. Wouldn't do that now of course!

And as you walked into Earls Court the magic began. There was a carnival atmosphere with circus entertainers and dancers walking round the vast auditorium before the support act, The Meters, came on and then again during the interval. It was such a hot ticket too. I think there were something like a million ticket applications for the six shows.

When the shows were over we thought that would be it for ages until we saw the Stones again but during a cricket match, I believe, a bloke ran onto the pitch with a banner proclaiming "the Stones wiull play". I wonder who that was and what he is doing now. That was the first advert for Knebworth.

Very cool. Sounds like quite an experience. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 9, 2013 18:35

I saw quite a few shows in 76. It's a special tour to me for shure cause I had some contact with Keith and the bands. But apart from that I always felt the tour to be better than its reputation.I hadn't expected too much after some early 75 boots and the Stones without Taylor not sounding good on them.
But apart from some personal dramas the 76 tour was fun and had a sleazy sound,good groove and a nice stage act. Still one of my best memories . .

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: August 9, 2013 18:54

I like this version but the studio version of Fool to Cry is far superior. Keith is playing way too much guitar, and at times noodling like Taylor did all the time. Keith is at his best when his guitar is there but not overpowering as in this case. This version does not have the swing at the end when Charlie changes the tempo from slow to medium.

I guess I will never understand the allure of an old tape as opposed to the studio production.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 9, 2013 18:56

Two things from back in the 70s: As an American we only thought of their stage work in relation to the big American tours. The Stones themselves seem to moan a lot about losing money on European tours. And yet there are some really good concerts from those Euro gigs that are only now being known as top rate.

Secondly, In '73 and '76, they played songs we never heard in America from GHS and Black and Blue. I'm not sure if Dancing With Mr. D, or Hot Stuff have ever been played on an American stage. Brussels, and the '73 tour, have gained a reputation as being their hottest concert(s) ever.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 9, 2013 18:58

1968 - 1972...That's Keith's era and you know you got the silver....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: August 9, 2013 20:03

Is MJ playing a mellotron?

Posted by: HearTheWindHowl ()
Date: August 11, 2013 14:06

caschimann
[www.youtube.com][/video]

I agree that this is very good! They should put this gig out as an official concert DVD!

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: August 11, 2013 14:36

He said that he hated that song.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 11, 2013 15:18

MILKYWAY
Is MJ playing a mellotron?

It's a clavinet. The same as Billy Preston plays on other songs on that tour, such as Midnight Rambler. On Fool To Cry, Billy plays the organ and synthesizer alongside Mick.

On the studio version, I think Mick plays a Wurlitzer or other electric piano with a phaser. On the same version, Nicky Hopkins plays piano and synthesizer, but in the promo video, Ian Stewart is at the piano (miming it).

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 11, 2013 15:28

That is a very good version of Fool To Cry. If Mick had only sung like that on the whole tour. I love Keith on this video some really good playing. I have never had a problem with the band 75-76 just Mick something about his singing on that tour is for me the worst Mick Jagger ever. Probably would have loved it had I attended though.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 11, 2013 16:05

Silver Dagger
vudicus
Silver Dagger

Great stuff Mike...I remember that long hot summer very well, although I wasn't in London, but whilst I missed the Knebworth and Earls Court shows I did make it to Paris for the June 6th and it was a great night (very late!) I love to hear people's stories around the background to the gigs.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: August 11, 2013 22:15

24FPS
Secondly, In '73 and '76, they played songs we never heard in America from GHS and Black and Blue. I'm not sure if Dancing With Mr. D, or Hot Stuff have ever been played on an American stage.

Hot Stuff was played in Washington D.C. on opening night of the 1994 tour and at the Tower Theater in PA in 2002.

I think that's it for the US.

It was played in Toronto in 1977 (El Mocambo) and 2002 (Palais Royale).

Dancing With Mr. D. has never been played in the U.S.

J

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 11, 2013 23:25

I heard Earl's Court was to be demolished. Is that true?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 12, 2013 08:30

Great version, but where's Ron Wood? Is he even on stage during this song? Can't hear him, only Keith, and Keith is the only guitarist the camera operator acknowledges. Funny, that. According to the camera operator, Mick and Keith are the only members of the band. I doubt this would make a great concert DVD for fans of the band, but for a CD it would sound first rate.

Obviously Keith did not fall asleep during this song. Would love to see that footage--but it doesn't exist, because it isn't true. It would appear that the same goes for Keith's alleged hatred of the song, as he is playing to really shine and to try to make the song even better. But, again, where's Woodie?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 12, 2013 08:35

As for the best Keith ever, or at least from that tour, I'd have to go with LA 75's You Gotta Move.

Date: August 12, 2013 10:00

tomk
I heard Earl's Court was to be demolished. Is that true?

Yep - Boris Johnson, London mayor, has agreed for it to be pulled down and re=developed next year.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: August 19, 2013 00:38

JMARKO
24FPS
Secondly, In '73 and '76, they played songs we never heard in America from GHS and Black and Blue. I'm not sure if Dancing With Mr. D, or Hot Stuff have ever been played on an American stage.

Hot Stuff was played in Washington D.C. on opening night of the 1994 tour and at the Tower Theater in PA in 2002.

I think that's it for the US.

It was played in Toronto in 1977 (El Mocambo) and 2002 (Palais Royale).

Dancing With Mr. D. has never been played in the U.S.

J

Damn shame about that---one of the great lost Stones gems and a great Keith riff.

Date: August 19, 2013 01:59

i hate that song on b & b but this is great. keiths guitar through the leslie wah is great.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 19, 2013 02:23

That fool to cry clip is great but it always makes me a little sad, it was a very tough time for Keith. Despite the added 35 plus years and the grey hair, he looked a billion times better on this last tour.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1712
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home