Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: Had it with you (Dirty Work)
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 19, 2013 15:14

DandelionPowderman
<There is some great guitar work on the album>

That's true, whether we like the songs or not. We don't even have to like the guitar playing - it can still be good. Jeezuz, Leonid...... eye rolling smiley

Yes, of course there can ... but in my opinion there isn't any redeeming value to many of the songs (Dirty Work, Winning Ugly, Back To Zero, Fight) on that album, including guitar. And yes, before you comment, I don't think that is brilliant guitar back & forth at the end of Fight at all, I think its equally rubbish as most of the album.

** edit ... Oh yes, forgot to add Sleep Tonight, which I find as one of Keith's worst tunes (except for Losing My Touch). Very corny in stupid lyrics (you better get some sleep, all you gotta do is close your eyes??? c'mon!). I find the Steel Wheels Slipping Away to be far superior. I do like Too Rude, however, as I do w/ most of the Stones reggae tunes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-19 15:18 by LeonidP.

Date: August 19, 2013 15:53

Date: August 19, 2013 23:37

DandelionPowderman

damn, what was the purpose of that? if you're trying to reinforce what a horrible song it is, then you've succeeded!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 19, 2013 23:47

DandelionPowderman

eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smiley

This song is worse than a nightmare

Date: August 20, 2013 00:45

I don't disagree.

But if you're not able to learn something from the guitar playing, you're either an idiot or pretty darn good smiling smiley

Date: August 20, 2013 06:01

DandelionPowderman
I don't disagree.

But if you're not able to learn something from the guitar playing, you're either an idiot or pretty darn good smiling smiley

give it up ... why would anyone choose to 'learn' something from the guitar playing on one of the worst songs in history when there are so many better songs to 'learn' from ... do you often spend time listening to crappy songs just to try and learn something? I, for one, prefer listening to songs I enjoy, but that's just me.

Date: August 20, 2013 08:19

Yep, I do, if the guitar playing is good or interesting - different things, you know grinning smiley Ah, you don't!

On this track there is lots of good stuff going on guitar-wise, even though the song is a clunker.

It's the same with songs like Silver Train, Anyway You Look At It and Rock And A Hard Place. The songs aren't good, but there is interesting guitar playing on them: Taylor's slide, Keith's accoustic and Keith's spanish licks.

I know you don't get this, but I reckon some other posters do. Did I beat you in a quiz in an earlier life, or what? What's your problem?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-20 08:49 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 20, 2013 09:23

DandelionPowderman
Yep, I do, if the guitar playing is good or interesting - different things, you know grinning smiley Ah, you don't!

On this track there is lots of good stuff going on guitar-wise, even though the song is a clunker.

It's the same with songs like Silver Train, Anyway You Look At It and Rock And A Hard Place. The songs aren't good, but there is interesting guitar playing on them: Taylor's slide, Keith's accoustic and Keith's spanish licks.

I know you don't get this, but I reckon some other posters do. Did I beat you in a quiz in an earlier life, or what? What's your problem?

Silver Train not a good song? Yeah, you are lost!

And no, Back To Zero has NOTHING going on.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 20, 2013 13:59

Dirty Work is a terrible album. It is actually the first album since Her Satanic that contains songs that are genuinely embarrassing ("Don't Hold Back" and "Back To Zero" ). I don't know what they were thinking when they made those. Probably they were not thinking at all. However, even on their worst albums they often manage to have a few good songs: "One Hit" (which is great) and "Harlem Shuffle" and maybe "Sleep Tonight". The rest, apart from the aforementioned total embarrassments, are empty filler material. "Had It With You" is an insult to all the great blues and rock and roll songs they have made. To play good blues or rock-and-roll you need more than just playing the obvious three chords and some standard solos on top, which is what they are doing here. I mean, from the Stones you expect something better than Status Quo, right? To say that blues by definition is simple and straightforward is completely missing the point why some blues is great and some is rubbish.

Undercover is not a bad album except for the last three songs which - again - are unspired filler songs. The "riff" from "Must Be Hell" is a cheap and mindboggingly stupid rip-off from "Soul Survivor". I am not very fond of "Wanna Hold You" either. The rest of the album is rather good though. I especially like the often overlooked "Tie You Up (Pain Of Love)". The lyrics are great and the basic groovy rhythm has some similarities to "Slave" from Tattoo You.

However, since these two albums, they have never come up with another album that is outstanding in any which way. At least Dirty Work is outstandingly bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-20 14:14 by matxil.

Date: August 20, 2013 14:04

LeonidP
DandelionPowderman

Says who? grinning smiley I like some of the licks and the funky guitars. Get the fvck off my tail, Brezchnev.

Date: August 20, 2013 14:32

...another 2/3 pages of comments and 'Had it with you' can become a masterpiece. eye rolling smiley

Date: August 20, 2013 14:38

DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
DandelionPowderman

Says who? grinning smiley I like some of the licks and the funky guitars. Get the fvck off my tail, Brezchnev.
So listen to Fingerprint File then. If Back To Zero is what you consider good (okay sorry, bad but with good guitar work) then what do you consider a bad song? It doesn't get any worse.

Date: August 20, 2013 17:33

KRiffhard
...another 2/3 pages of comments and 'Had it with you' can become a masterpiece. eye rolling smiley

grinning smiley

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 20, 2013 17:52

matxil
Dirty Work is a terrible album. It is actually the first album since Her Satanic that contains songs that are genuinely embarrassing ("Don't Hold Back" and "Back To Zero" ). I don't know what they were thinking when they made those. Probably they were not thinking at all. However, even on their worst albums they often manage to have a few good songs: "One Hit" (which is great) and "Harlem Shuffle" and maybe "Sleep Tonight". The rest, apart from the aforementioned total embarrassments, are empty filler material. "Had It With You" is an insult to all the great blues and rock and roll songs they have made. To play good blues or rock-and-roll you need more than just playing the obvious three chords and some standard solos on top, which is what they are doing here. I mean, from the Stones you expect something better than Status Quo, right? To say that blues by definition is simple and straightforward is completely missing the point why some blues is great and some is rubbish.

Undercover is not a bad album except for the last three songs which - again - are unspired filler songs. The "riff" from "Must Be Hell" is a cheap and mindboggingly stupid rip-off from "Soul Survivor". I am not very fond of "Wanna Hold You" either. The rest of the album is rather good though. I especially like the often overlooked "Tie You Up (Pain Of Love)". The lyrics are great and the basic groovy rhythm has some similarities to "Slave" from Tattoo You.

However, since these two albums, they have never come up with another album that is outstanding in any which way. At least Dirty Work is outstandingly bad.

I agree overall with your sentiment. I would add that any new Stones albums/songs (apart from songs released as singles) from 'Undercover' onwards are not particularly innovative or important. Especially as the 1980s went on into the 90's and beyond and new groups and styles came and went...the Stones in terms of new material mattered less and less.

On the 'Undercover' album for the first time imho you can hear the Stones truly struggling to keep up. That is no doubt why they resorted to release new albums and/or compilations solely as an excuse to do ever more lucrative world tours (performing 95 % old, classic material). I mean, if they didn't do any touring the last 30 years, who would care about the Stones?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-20 17:54 by nightskyman.

Posted by: michel ()
Date: August 20, 2013 23:37

I really like Back to zero!!

Date: August 20, 2013 23:48

It has a nice groove, good sound, love the bridge, guitars, drumming.
Just to set things straight over here haha

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 21, 2013 08:17

michel
It has a nice groove, good sound, love the bridge, guitars, drumming.
Just to set things straight over here haha

It's a joke with Stones...but given away to for example Janet Jackson it could have been a hit...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: August 21, 2013 15:58

...very fine R.Stones song....

Date: August 21, 2013 19:31

"It's a monkey living on my back
I can feel my spine begin to crack
I'm looking to the future, I keep on glancing back
I prefer to rot, I don't want to pop"

confused smiley

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: August 21, 2013 20:11

matxil

One hit, Sleep tonight, Dirty work, too rude, harlem shuffle, Had it with you...all good and dirty work, always like to hear that album.

Date: August 21, 2013 22:08

KRiffhard

confused smiley

Good lyrics

thumbs up

Date: August 22, 2013 15:41

michel
KRiffhard

confused smiley

Good lyrics

thumbs up

Very very good lyrics and good song eye popping smileyeye popping smiley

Date: August 22, 2013 18:43

KRiffhard
michel
KRiffhard

confused smiley

Good lyrics

thumbs up

Indeed, I am so glad we agree on thisspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Very very good lyrics and good song eye popping smileyeye popping smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1841
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home