Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones 2002: Nashville vs Madison Square Garden
Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: April 14, 2005 05:24

I saw The Stones in Nashville 2002, they were lackluster at best. The only things that had any life in them were Keith's guitar and Charlie's drums. You could see Keith's "monk" bald spot at the crown of his head from where I was sitting, that sent me over the edge. Ronnie's playing which had been rumored to have been instilled with new life was luke warm. Mick gave a very toned down performance and was dressed like a shoe salesman. He did however make a funny comment about the fancy cowboy shirt Chuck was wearing, he looked at him and said: "nice shirt, did you get that locally?

The same friend and I saw the pay per view show from Madison Square Garden at his brother's house on a very large screen tv with a huge sound system hooked up to it, and there they were, that English band that know's how to rock 'n' roll like no other. They were kicking ass and taking no prisoners. I thought it was gone, but, on a good night, (or, when they choose), they can still rock the balls off a crystal cherub. Was anyone that posts here at that show?

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Re: Stones 2002: Nashville vs Madison Square Garden
Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: April 14, 2005 10:02

saw the warm up show,2 days before hbo,killer,killer show.like no other.but so was phillie and n.j.,2002

john scialfa

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: April 14, 2005 12:54

I saw the HBO-show (januari 18th) on a bootleg DVD yesterday and it surprised me in a positive way. I had already watched the show several times on 4 flicks, but the raw sound of the "on the spot" mix (less loud vocals, louder guitars, although sometimes also a very loud piano...) was very exciting. My friends (who hadn't seen this show before) were really impressed, especially by Monkey Man and Midnight Rambler.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 15, 2005 12:45

Both MSG 2003 shows were good but the second show 1998 was a killer.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 15, 2005 12:47

The September 2002 show at MSG was also really good.

Posted by: Dear Doctor ()
Date: April 15, 2005 18:53

1998 show #2 at MSG was incredible ., I snuck down to 12th row Keiths side

best crowd since 81 easily in NYC

incredible performances of "already over me" and "out of control"

well said GR

Posted by: WAYNEPA ()
Date: April 20, 2005 14:51

Actually...was at all 3 MSG shows on Licks Tour...HBO night was real good, 2 nights earlier (Thursday) was better, and the night in September was the tops.

Date: April 20, 2005 19:56

All three shows Were great at the garden, But by far the best one was the 16th of January, then the 26th and then the HBO show, in my opipion they should have just shown the 16th show on HBO it was much much much better

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 21, 2005 02:12

Nashville was born under a bad sign from the beginning. First the opening act "Lifehouse" Then there was a false start to the opening song "Street Fighting Man". I did think the B stage was pretty good, especially LRR.

Date: April 22, 2005 12:34

Ya, the opening band was awful I thought. Did not fit with the Stones at all.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: April 22, 2005 12:37

They had a false start with the opening song in Nashville?!?!?!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 22, 2005 23:07

Yeah Keith came out in the dark and hit a couple stong chords of Street Fighting Man. Then it was like his mike was turned off. For the next few bars Keith was still playing alone but you could just barley hear him in the background. At just the right moment everyones volume came up including Keith's and away they went.

Date: April 23, 2005 03:10

wow, if the other shows from the Garden on the 2002 tour were "better" than the HBO show then that means that the Stones really do still have it on stage. So, what was wrong in Nashville? Nashville? lol Or, just a not so good night or a combination?

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: April 23, 2005 03:35

LOL

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: drake ()
Date: April 24, 2005 10:58

I'm slightly suprised to find that anyone thought poorly of the Nashville gig in 02. It was my 4th Stones show and thrilled me to no avail. The tunes from exile were great, little red rooster was killer, show was fun. Not to mention the flawless version of IORR. The duel was on. I only had two complaints about the gig...

Complaint #1: They played IORR instead of Route 66 on the bstage. They did the same thing in St.Louis in 97 and I never had the honor of hearing the boys do little queenie. I would have killed to see them do a chuck berry tune, and route 66 is, IMHO, very 'berryish'. Would've loved to see them put IORR earlier in the show, and kept Route 66. Hell, start the whole thing out with Route 66. Kickass track. (btw, does anyone else feel that the version of neighbors performed on the openning night is the greatest version they ever did on the tour??)

Complaint #2: I had to go into the bathroom to change discs on my minidisc recorder, so I missed a good portion of the Keef set. I know what you're thinking, "miss Keith's set? you're a sellout" but you'd be wrong. See my mentality was either I risk missing Midnight Rambler or I risk missing Keith's set. Rambler being more important I decided to gamble Keith's time away. Unfortunately they decided to play Sympathy, which pales in comparison. So I missed Keith's set but got everything else. CYHMK more than madeup for it.

Nashville is the only time I've recorded a Stones show and it came out amazingly. Gave a copy to my dad and thats about it. Definately the best $600 concert souveneer ever. (paying $300 a seat, I'd say I earned the right to take home a keepsake)

Wow, this rant ROCKS. Its been years since I posted on here. Had to make a new account. I may upload little red rooster to my server just to remind you how cool that show was.

The news section has a link to the 'wishlists' and all that but I'm amazed that there are repetitions of Jigsaw Puzzle, etc... and yet no mention of Flight 505, Had It With You, or Miss Amanda Jones. However I was thrilled beyond belief to find out that other fans also want to hear She Was Hot. Seriously, that song is kickass. Would be amazing live. 'specially with the telephone verse.

Drake
717Studios.com

Date: April 24, 2005 13:08

Drake, what was your 1st Stones show? What tour?

Posted by: drake ()
Date: April 24, 2005 21:26

First show was St Louis 97. Was praying for Little Queenie on the bstage but alas it was not heard. Same for Star Star on the webvote. Who wants to hear Waiting on a Friend? I'd lived overseas for 8 years so I never really had the chance to see the Stones until 97.
Drake

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1722
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home