Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Favourite live version of Midnight Rambler?
Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: July 30, 2013 21:26

so whats everyones fave version it can be from a bootleg or official release mine is at Tokyo 1990

Re: Favourite live version of Midnight Rambler?
Posted by: muffie ()
Date: July 30, 2013 21:29

Listen to Taylor's mirroring of Richards little solo licks starting at 8:20. This is the definitive Midnight Rambler. A unmatched masterpiece.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-31 15:50 by muffie.

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: July 30, 2013 21:30

atlantic city 1989 and brussels 1973

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 30, 2013 21:33

Though likely very touched up by Mick and Keith, you really can't beat the 'Get Yer Ya Yas Out' version. Pretty intense, with interesting audience reaction caught on tape.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 30, 2013 21:34

Still gotta be Ya Yas. But Brussels 73 is amazing too.

Date: July 30, 2013 21:35

it's just one of those songs that makes you feel good such a great piece of music especially when it goes into the quiet parts

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 30, 2013 21:40

The Ya-Yas version gets my vote. The bit of feedback you hear as the band launches into the middle section sounds like a harbinger of meanace and the interplay between Keith and Mick T at this point is extraordinary. I've heard it more times than I have had hot dinners and I still get goosebumps. Woof!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 30, 2013 22:04

Currently Ya'Ya's followed closely by Brussels Affair. Hopefully both will be replaced in the future by a version not yet played at a show I've yet to attend. I need them to tour again as I still have never seen them play it live. Just once I want to be in the same room with them playing this song! THAT version will become my favorite if and or when it ever happens.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: July 30, 2013 22:05

i'm still yet to see them live as soon as they come london again i'll be there

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: July 30, 2013 22:07

Brussels Affair
MSG 2003
Hyde Park #1

I can't decide sad smiley

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: July 30, 2013 22:09

mr_dja
Currently Ya'Ya's followed closely by Brussels Affair. Hopefully both will be replaced in the future by a version not yet played at a show I've yet to attend. I need them to tour again as I still have never seen them play it live. Just once I want to be in the same room with them playing this song! THAT version will become my favorite if and or when it ever happens.

Peace,
Mr DJA

You cannot be serious. It won't get any better than the ones you mentioned. smiling smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 30, 2013 22:10

nightskyman
Though likely very touched up by Mick and Keith, you really can't beat the 'Get Yer Ya Yas Out' version.

It's completely original and untouched.

Mathijs

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 30, 2013 22:12

The Brussels 73 version, but then the bootleg version, not the remixed official version. Then LA 7/13/75 and NY 6/27/75.

Mathijs

Date: July 30, 2013 22:12

you can tell it's untouched Rolling Stones never overdub their Live music as much as others although i do find Flashpoint very overdubbed or is that just me?

Posted by: nico one ()
Date: July 30, 2013 22:14

GY Ya Yas

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: July 30, 2013 22:19

GYYYO and Hyde Park 2013, the official released One from the first Gig!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 30, 2013 22:24

I love them all, and will ask the following: does anyone know what the longest ever Midnight Rambler was ?

Date: July 30, 2013 22:26

tomcasagranda
I love them all, and will ask the following: does anyone know what the longest ever Midnight Rambler was ?

not too sure i'm going to guess around 13 - 14 mins

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 30, 2013 22:42

Also a great Rambler from the 1972 tour, so bluesy (something I missed during the 2012/13 tour) and even better than Brussels 73. But then again I have to listen to all those 70 - 73 boots.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 30, 2013 22:56

svt22
mr_dja

Peace,
Mr DJA

You cannot be serious. It won't get any better than the ones you mentioned. smiling smiley

I'm working on the "nothing's better than being there" principle... I have no doubt that I won't be chasing down bootlegs of the show to replase Ya-Ya's or Brussel's, but for the 11-13 minutes live, if it ever happens, THAT will be the best version.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 30, 2013 23:14

I never get tired of that song.
Any version does it for me.
As long as they can play it, they can tour.

But if I had to choose...

1. Brussels 73
2. Tokyo 90
3. MSG PPV 2003

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: July 30, 2013 23:18

mr_dja
svt22
mr_dja

Peace,
Mr DJA

I'm working on the "nothing's better than being there" principle... I have no doubt that I won't be chasing down bootlegs of the show to replase Ya-Ya's or Brussel's, but for the 11-13 minutes live, if it ever happens, THAT will be the best version.

Peace,
Mr DJA

That's going to be an interesting and refreshing 12:55 + version then, musical inspiration and skill slightly improved by the length of MR played in the future.. I sincerely hope you will be there and turn out to be right. To be continued.

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: July 30, 2013 23:31

Ya Yas or Brussels 73...any version with Mick Taylor in fact...

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: July 30, 2013 23:32

Ya Ya's the best one

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: July 31, 2013 00:05

I am surprised that many of you like the 1989/1990 versions of Rambler. For me that are the only poor versions beside 1975/1976. On all other tours they did a wonderful job. I could say YaYas is the best but MSG 03 is very good too as is the one from Hyde Park (at the second show it was even better than at the first)

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 31, 2013 00:25

Mathijs
nightskyman
Though likely very touched up by Mick and Keith, you really can't beat the 'Get Yer Ya Yas Out' version.

It's completely original and untouched.

Mathijs

Here we go again...you're telling me that the tuba and the trombone were actually there that day at MSG and not overdubbed at a later date? Really? C'mon

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: July 31, 2013 00:28

Brussels Affair
Welcome To New York
For Woody - LA Friday Night
The best Rambler I was present for - Toronto June 6 2013

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: July 31, 2013 07:51

imo the GYYO version is a little bit too slow
I like many of them but I would pick the one in Argentina 1995 especially for Keith's guitar sound.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 31, 2013 08:21

I think I slightly prefer the GYYO version to A Brussels Affair.

Although Brussels Affair is heavier and has a lot more flashy guitar pyrotechnic passages from Taylor, the uber-controlled, simmering slow-burn of the GYYO version is more visceral and menacing.

Mick's vocals were also much better on GYYO than on Brussels Affair. That shouting/barking style didn't serve Jagger well.

Honestly, it's so close between the two, it's like choosing which kid is my favorite. (not that I have kids, but IF I did...I digress...)

Date: July 31, 2013 09:59

OAKLAND 1969:

Among the latter day versions, this one is a must:

ATLANTIC CITY 1989:

As a fan of the original studio version, the 70s versions sound a bit too rushed for me. Love the bluesy beat-changes in the Oakland-version thumbs up

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1353
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home