Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ian McLagan on Keith and Johnny Depp documentary
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 29, 2013 17:37

Faces' Ian McLagan Says He'll Appear in Upcoming Keith Richards Documentary

Ian McLagan is best known as the founding keyboardist of The Small Faces and The Faces, but the acclaimed rocker also spent some time as a sideman with The Rolling Stones. That association apparently has led to his involvement in a new documentary about Keith Richards that movie star Johnny Depp is directing.

In a recent interview with ABC News Radio, McLagan explains that Richards had called him up a few months back and asked him to fly to Los Angeles to take part in the movie.

"We went to [Depp's] house and were filmed recording with Keith, all day, and we cut three tracks," Ian reports. "And Keith was in great shape, great spirits."

The 68-year-old Rock and Roll Hall of Famer reveals that the songs they recorded included new renditions of the Keith-sung Stones classics "Happy" and "You Got the Silver," as well as a brand-new Richards composition. McLagan says the new tune is "really, really strong" and describes it as "a real dark song, a bit of a country song." He adds that Keith told him that the tune was inspired by the influential country duo The Louvin Brothers.

McLagan also says he really enjoyed getting the chance to pal around with Keith again. "We just, like, looked at each other and laughed," he recalls. "And we just had our arm around each other chatting. It was just so lovely."

As for his take on Depp and the actor's friendship with Richards, Ian says, "Johnny Depp's like his son…he's the next Keith Richards, and he's such a sweet guy."

[abcnewsradioonline.com]

Re: Ian McLagan on Keith and Johnny Depp documentary
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 29, 2013 17:44

thanks for the update.

wonder when it will be released.
jeroen

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 29, 2013 17:46

I'm looking forward to seeing that...anything with Keith in it for me is fascinating.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 29, 2013 17:56

its great these friendships are so strong.

I can only imagine now that Mick Taylor is back in the Stones' organization, the fun they had, i'm sure it wasn't just business..

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 29, 2013 17:56

From the March 23 session, with thanks to Doug Pettibone.

From left to right: Larry Taylor bass, Jim Keltner drums, Keith Richards guitar and vocals, Waddy Wachtel guitar, Johnny Depp guitar, Ian McLagan keys, and yours truly pedal steel guitar.

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 29, 2013 18:24

way cool :E

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: July 29, 2013 19:32

bye bye johnny
Faces' Ian McLagan Says He'll Appear in Upcoming Keith Richards Documentary

Ian McLagan is best known as the founding keyboardist of The Small Faces...

Not correct. Jimmy Winston was the founding keyboardist of The Small Faces.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 29, 2013 19:54

bye bye johnny
As for his take on Depp and the actor's friendship with Richards, Ian says, "Johnny Depp's like his son…he's the next Keith Richards, and he's such a sweet guy."

A couple years ago in L.A. I heard a talk by three movie make-up artists who'd done make up on the biggest stars in the biggest movies (Jack Nicholson and such) including Johnny Depp. They'd done his make up for at least one PIRATES film and said he was super nice. They filmed on a tropical island and Johnny wouldn't leave it until the rest of the crew had left the island and had gotten everything they needed. "Believe me, that's not the case with a lot of stars. They film their bit and leave the location and the crew gets treated like crap once the star is gone." But Johnny stuck around to see the crew got treated well. So it was thumbs up for Johnny.

Date: July 29, 2013 19:54

Correct. Mac joined later.

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: August 1, 2013 23:23

Let the Stones move to France again and live under the same roof for ten months and then we might have some new good tunes.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 2, 2013 00:41

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: August 2, 2013 01:14

Mac's pressence might provide the right spark for some inspired music. Re-recording Stonesclassics might be a bit superfluous but his description of the new Richards composition sounds very promising.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: August 2, 2013 01:18

Let somebody do the dirty work, find some loser find som jerk. Buy our tickets so expensive. Not for free.

Mac Reveals That He And Keith Have Recorded New Versions of "Happy" And "You Got The Silver"
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 27, 2013 04:08

Johnny Depp's upcoming documentary about Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards will include some new music, as well as some new versions of familiar songs.

Faces/Small Faces keyboardist Ian McLagan, who spent some time as a Rolling Stones sideman, tells us that during the spring he joined Richards and others to re-record versions of the Richards-sung Stones songs "Happy" and "You Got the Silver," as well as a brand-new song:

"Keith's great. I actually recorded with Keith...in L.A. for this documentary on his life that Johnny Depp is filming, and we had a beautiful day together," McLagan tells us. "We cut three tracks...Waddy Watchtel, Jim Keltner and myself and Keith."

Former Canned Heat bassist Larry Taylor was also part of the session at Depp’s home studio, according to McLagan. No release date or title have yet been revealed for the documentary.

McLagan adds that he and Richards have enjoyed a warm friendship before, during and after the keyboardist's tenure with the Stones as demonstrated by an incident that took place when McLagan attended the group's concert earlier this year in Los Angeles:

"Keith, when he came 'round on the outside stage at the Staples Center, he saw me and he smiled, and then he carried on and he turned around and he faced me and gave me two fingers and said, 'F*** you!'" (laughs)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-27 04:42 by tatters.

Re: Mac Reveals That He And Keith Have Recorded New Versions of "Happy" And "You Got The Silver"
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 27, 2013 04:31

Finally something that Johnny Depp can possibly do without his nose firmly planted up Keith's arse, I hope he's not playing on the tracks or the documentary soundtrack.....peace

Re: Mac Reveals That He And Keith Have Recorded New Versions of "Happy" And "You Got The Silver"
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 27, 2013 04:36

Keith has re-recorded these two songs several times since release...especially Happy. When I think of all the official releases of this song I've bought between live and archive, movie, deluxe and super duper offerings I'm not so Happy. So why record it yet another time?

Maybe he just hasn't got it right yet...

Date: August 27, 2013 04:38

Munichhilton
Keith has re-recorded these two songs several times since release.

Studio versions?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 27, 2013 04:41

tatters
Munichhilton

Studio versions?

Honestly there is little difference anymore! Oh the overdubs...

Date: August 27, 2013 04:44

as well as a brand-new song:

there was an item around here a couple of weeks ago where Mac said
it was a country style tune that Keith told him it was Louvin Bros inspired

ROCKMAN

Date: August 27, 2013 04:44

Munichhilton
tatters
Munichhilton

Studio versions?

Honestly there is little difference anymore! Oh the overdubs...

True, and I really don't even know in what context they're gonna be used in the film. Maybe it's just gonna be footage of them playing 'live' in the studio.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 27, 2013 04:46

Munichhilton
Keith has re-recorded these two songs several times since release...especially Happy. When I think of all the official releases of this song I've bought between live and archive, movie, deluxe and super duper offerings I'm not so Happy. So why record it yet another time?

Maybe he just hasn't got it right yet...

It's been the mystery of his life and he's still following it (to coin a quote from the closing moments of the Stones In Exile DVD).

Date: August 27, 2013 04:46

Rockman
as well as a brand-new song:

there was an item around here a couple of weeks ago where Mac said
it was a country style tune that Keith told him it was Louvin Bros inspired

Oh, Hell yes!

Date: August 27, 2013 04:57

.... yeah that's 'em tatters ........

SATAN IS REAL .... page 228 ...great read to by the way ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: August 27, 2013 05:29

Love the Louvin Brothers. Gonna go throw some on right now.
T@3

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: August 27, 2013 06:20

Naturalust
Finally something that Johnny Depp can possibly do without his nose firmly planted up Keith's arse, I hope he's not playing on the tracks or the documentary soundtrack.....peace
First reply to this post and already a hateful message towards Depp. Pathetic. Depp and Richards are friends. Get over it. This whole "wah wah Depp sucks. He's a phony. Wah wah." attitude on this board is getting old.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 27, 2013 06:44

GumbootCloggeroo
Naturalust
First reply to this post and already a hateful message towards Depp. Pathetic. Depp and Richards are friends. Get over it. This whole "wah wah Depp sucks. He's a phony. Wah wah." attitude on this board is getting old.

yeah, and I love the obligatory "peace" after every damn one of his posts.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: August 27, 2013 07:06

GumbootCloggeroo
Naturalust

He's phony baloney

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 27, 2013 09:00

When Paul McCartney invited Ringo to rerecord Beatles songs for the Give My Regards to Broad Street soundtrack, Ringo turned Paul down, "I've done them once already." Paul went ahead without him, with hardly impressive results.

Date: August 27, 2013 09:13

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: August 27, 2013 16:07

duke richardson
its great these friendships are so strong.

I can only imagine now that Mick Taylor is back in the Stones' organization, the fun they had, i'm sure it wasn't just business..

I'm sure they had many good times. You do see old photos of him laughing and, of course, plenty of those when he looked down (trying not to use the word morose). There was an interview by Emily Dennis posted on this board in 2008 on one of the "Mick Taylor why did you leave threads" where he said the band was mostly fun and hard work. I'm sure with the passage of time, maturity, and rehab; he's made peace with his past and his bandmates. I mean, it was 40 years ago, time to move forward! Hope they all have many more productive and fun years left!!smiling smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1627
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home