Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: Who's your favorite Rolling Stone?
Date: August 1, 2013 15:18

Sure Brian could write winking smiley

(Music: Brian Jones/Lyrics: J.W. Thompson)

Rice Crispies Jingle

Wake up in the morning there's a snap
around the place
Wake up in the morning there's a crackle
in your face
Wake up in the morning there's a pop that
realy says
"Rice Crispies for you and you and you"

Pour on the milk and listen to the snap that
says: "It's nice"
Pour on the milk and listen to the crackle
of that rice
Get up in the morning to the pop that says:
"It's rice"
Hear them talking crisp. Rice Crispies!!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 1, 2013 15:33

^^^ Haha. grinning smiley

cool smiley

Date: August 1, 2013 15:36

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 1, 2013 15:41

His Majesty
Point A can influence point B and vice versa, ebbs and flows etc etc. There was certainly a power shift though, no doubt about that.

The songs themselves don't necessarily dictate musical direction though as they can be arranged in a whole variety of different ways.

All this is part of the musical evolution of the original Rolling Stones.

smiling smiley

A rather poor reply (to put it mildly) to an intelligent post.

Fact is that Brian was a huge pop idol, in the way the Beatles were, before Jagger took over that role. Further it's very hard to discern what Brian's musical influence really was and did or did not to the band. Well, we know he added some fine contributions for sure, but that's another thing.

Date: August 1, 2013 15:53

kleermaker
His Majesty
Point A can influence point B and vice versa, ebbs and flows etc etc. There was certainly a power shift though, no doubt about that.

The songs themselves don't necessarily dictate musical direction though as they can be arranged in a whole variety of different ways.

smiling smiley

Fact is that Brian was a huge pop idol, in the way the Beatles were, before Jagger took over that role. Further it's very hard to discern what Brian's musical influence really was and did or did not to the band. Well, we know he added some fine contributions for sure, but that's another thing.

No, he wasn't.

Date: August 1, 2013 16:00

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
His Majesty

smiling smiley

No, he wasn't.

Are you seriously stating that Brian wasn't a pop idol??? Seen pics/footage of his funeral?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 1, 2013 16:05

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
His Majesty

smiling smiley

No, he wasn't.

For us that have followed Stones since 1964 Brian was. Mick were the most important musician with his voice though...Keith took over the roll being the hip guy in Stones in the seventies with his missing tooth and all...smiling smiley Just my thoughts as I remember them...

2 1 2 0

Date: August 1, 2013 16:08

kleermaker
His Majesty

smiling smiley

My reply says all that needed to be said in reply to the points of the post. Less is more, more or less. winking smiley

What you find hard to discern is for you to worry about, not me.

Date: August 1, 2013 16:10

Come On
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
His Majesty

smiling smiley

No, he wasn't.

For us that have followed Stones since 1964 Brian was. Mick were the most important musician with his voice though...Keith took over the roll being the hip guy in Stones in the seventies with his missing tooth and all...smiling smiley Just my thoughts as I remember them...

Yes indeed. I remember that as well: Brian was the guy, the (fashion) trendsetter even before Jagger was. But Dandie wasn't even a baby at that time smiling smiley.
Keith was a nobody in the beginning for the mass. Later on he became the 'cool' rock star, the Keef image so to speak.

Date: August 1, 2013 16:10

Of course Brian was a pop idol, so were Mick and Keith.

When you start appearing in teenage girl magazines a pop idol you most certainly are. grinning smiley

Date: August 1, 2013 16:11

His Majesty
kleermaker
His Majesty

smiling smiley

My reply says all that needed to be said in reply to the points of the post. Less is more, more or less. winking smiley

What you find hard to discern is for you to worry about, not me.

I don't worry at all, just stating a fact.

Date: August 1, 2013 16:12

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
His Majesty

smiling smiley

No, he wasn't.

Are you seriously stating that Brian wasn't a pop idol??? Seen pics/footage of his funeral?

Not the way the Beatles were - before Mick took over. That was what you wrote smiling smiley

The thought of you under-estimating me to the extent of even suggesting I don't know that Brian Jones was a pop-idol makes me wanna ask if you're ok, kleerie?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-01 16:19 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 1, 2013 16:14

kleermaker

Not a fact.

Date: August 1, 2013 16:24

His Majesty
kleermaker

Not a fact.

So why always the same discussion about his (precise) role in the band if it's all so clear? Because it's not that clear as you suggest.

Date: August 1, 2013 16:39

kleermaker
His Majesty
kleermaker

Not a fact.

So why always the same discussion about his (precise) role in the band if it's all so clear? Because it's not that clear as you suggest.

I didn't say it was all so clear, but much can be gauged from the known for a fact contributions, from interviews about the recording process, about the albums etc etc.

Discovering precisely who played what tells us about Keith etc too. A lot of people thought Brian played slide on Jigsaw Puzzle, cool part regardless of who played it, but Satanic Sessions bootleg did much to confirm what Keith had said in the radio documentary about Beggars Banquet.

Relativley speaking A lot more is known about Keith's contributions than Brian's so the same level of focus and re-search isn't needed...

However, it isn't all precisely clear what Keith played on Aftermath and Between The Buttons. Much of the guitar parts are obvious, it seems, but some aren't. There hasn't been all that much said about the guitar parts on those albums. So trying to find out if Brian played such and such a guitar part is also trying to find out if Keith did. winking smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-01 17:00 by His Majesty.

Date: August 1, 2013 18:11

His Majesty
kleermaker
His Majesty
kleermaker

Not a fact.

I didn't say it was all so clear, but much can be gauged from the known for a fact contributions, from interviews about the recording process, about the albums etc etc.

Discovering precisely who played what tells us about Keith etc too. A lot of people thought Brian played slide on Jigsaw Puzzle, cool part regardless of who played it, but Satanic Sessions bootleg did much to confirm what Keith had said in the radio documentary about Beggars Banquet.

Relativley speaking A lot more is known about Keith's contributions than Brian's so the same level of focus and re-search isn't needed...

However, it isn't all precisely clear what Keith played on Aftermath and Between The Buttons. Much of the guitar parts are obvious, it seems, but some aren't. There hasn't been all that much said about the guitar parts on those albums. So trying to find out if Brian played such and such a guitar part is also trying to find out if Keith did. winking smiley

I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't talking about his contributions but about his influence and role in the band. That's a broader topic. No doubt he added great contributions, but I still am not sure about his influence on the band and his precise role in it. Maybe it's overshadowed by his status as a pop idol back in the day (and as a cult figure nowadays).

Date: August 1, 2013 18:39

His role after he lost his self appointed leadership?

Generally speaking, probably something close to this...

An important member of the band that turned up when he felt like it and helped with the arrangements of Mick and Keith's songs when he wanted to. grinning smiley

An important member of the band who mostly promoted, but occasionally damaged the band in the press etc.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the wonderfully disfunctional original Rolling Stones! smoking smiley

He could and ideally should have done more, but what we know of what he did do was mostly important, defining and quite amazing anyway.

smiling smiley

Interviewer - "Who is the author of your songs?"

Mick Jagger - "No one of us in particular, and all of us at the same time. We usually sign Jagger and Richards but Brian is the one that knows music best and, in short, one cannot be distinguished by the other. We are all necessary."

Mick Jagger On Brian - 1970

"He was fantastically important. He was with Keith and me from the beginning and he really got the band together. He was as influential as anyone in contributing to the overall sound."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-01 18:52 by His Majesty.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: August 1, 2013 19:08

His Majesty

Mick Jagger - "No one of us in particular, and all of us at the same time. We usually sign Jagger and Richards but Brian is the one that knows music best and, in short, one cannot be distinguished by the other. We are all necessary."

"He was fantastically important. He was with Keith and me from the beginning and he really got the band together. He was as influential as anyone in contributing to the overall sound."

This can also interpreted that it is NOT Richards who wrote all the songs, like he or many others always claim winking smiley
Mick is my favorite Stone, because the magic of their songs for me comes through MickĀ“s voice. I think his role in writing the songs gets immensly underrated, which I think is a shame. And I find his personality and mind much more interesting the that of the others (from the distance of course). Plus he is also more attractivewinking smiley

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 2, 2013 02:12

Papa was.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: August 2, 2013 02:20

His Majesty

Well, well, well, that's what I call meaningless quotes. Besides Jagger has stated something totally different about the songwriting as you know very well. So those quotes are double meaningless.

Date: August 2, 2013 02:50

kleermaker

Well, well, well, that's what I call meaningless quotes. Besides Jagger has stated something totally different about the songwriting as you know very well. So those quotes are double meaningless.

Have you recently been put on some kind of heavy medication or something?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-02 02:51 by His Majesty.

Date: August 2, 2013 03:03

His Majesty
kleermaker

What a silly question. A weak reply too.

Date: August 2, 2013 03:14

kleermaker

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: August 2, 2013 03:17

kleermaker
His Majesty
kleermaker

i don't see how anyone can dispute that brian was hugely influential on the original sound. it would seem to take willful ignorance.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: August 2, 2013 07:26

Brian was, is & always will be a pop idol. smileys with beer

Date: August 2, 2013 10:46

No one disputes that he was.

I just disputed that he was as big as the Beatles at the time he formed the band, and was the band leader.

He simply wasn't, even though he was popular.

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: August 2, 2013 18:21

smoking smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 2, 2013 19:47

owlbynite
Brian was, is & always will be a pop idol. smileys with beer

Whether Brian Jones is or will be /(remain(?) a pop idol, I have no knowledge of.

Brian Jones being a pop attraction to some extent at the time, is NOW nonetheless in itself a minor fact that only helped to forward somewhat what was, is and will remain highly important: He was a major originator of the Rolling Stones. He was a blues oriented guitarist during the phase that the Rolling Stones were a R&B band most of all. And during the following phase when they developed into what might be said to be an experimental pop band with a kind of rock basis, seemingly to his increasing displeasure, he, apart from playing guitar to some degree, contributed most constructively many times as a talented multi-instrumentalist that influenced and sometimes even shaped the arrangements of the band' songs.

My motive for entering on a discussion with His Majesty about versions of his criteria on what would be the genuine Rolling Stones, however, was something else than what I have summed up here. It lay behind, as His Majesty more than anyone will have guessed. It was to advocate the perspective on this band that it continued to be as much the real Rolling Stones when Brian Jones was replaced as guitarist. The same view I hold on a later point in time when Brian Jones' successor himself left the band and was replaced by a third guitarist. This view is not a matter of course, it is the result of a judgement (not presented here.)

A hypothetical case with George Harrison being replaced has been set forth. Another case, I think, is more relevant, which makes the following an OT. But it throws some light, maybe, on the case with the Stones. When Syd Barrett was replaced by Davis Guilmour (in fact, a Wikipedia article states that Guilmour joined months before Barrett left) , did Pink Floyd stop being Pink Floyd? I think not. On the other hand, from the time when Roger Waters split, I called the band that continued, Rest Floyd. (By the way, I am not particularly keen on the two preceding studio albums before that split.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-02 19:50 by Witness.

Date: August 2, 2013 23:23

Syd Barrett is a bad comparison because he wasn't in Pink Floyd for anywhere near the same length of time as Brian was in The Rolling Stones. There is also a big difference with regards to his replacement as Dave Gilmour was actually a friend of Syd's.

The genuine Rolling Stones died in 1969.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: August 3, 2013 00:35

His Majesty

The genuine Rolling Stones died in 1969.

Cheer up man, always look on the bright side of life. They buried 20 % of the genuine Stones. I cannot help it either.

Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...

If life seems jolly rotten
There's something you've forgotten
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
When you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing.

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...

For life is quite absurd
And death's the final word
You must always face the curtain with a bow.
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

So always look on the bright side of death
Just before you draw your terminal breath

Life's a piece of shit
When you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
You'll see it's all a show
Keep 'em laughing as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you.

And always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the right side of life...
(Come on guys, cheer up!)
Always look on the bright side of life...
(Worse things happen at sea, you know.)
(I mean - what have you got to lose?)
(You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing.
What have you lost? Nothing!)
Always look on the right side of life....

KEY Am

verse:
Am G
Am G
Am G E7
A7 D7

chorus:
G E7 Am D7
G E7 A7 D7

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-03 00:41 by svt22.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1843
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home