Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Hyde Park Live available in true lossless quality on Qobuz
Posted by: wolfmeister ()
Date: August 5, 2013 18:08

Spud
Alef
The terms lossy and non-lossy can be confusing. Bot CD audio (and SACD audio) are ofcourse also lossy, as they consist of discreet bits of recorded sound. But make the dscreet bits small enough and built enough dynamic range into these bits and you have perfect audio. That's what they have done with regular CD (16bits, 44,1kHz).

I don't think even CD's strongest advocates have claimed that since about 1985

"Pure Perfect sound for ever" was the tag line.

The thing with digital audio is that it distorts music in a very sinister way, by omission.

indeed, and Rupert Neve had some interesting things to say about digital and how in research tests it has been found to stimulate brain waves associated with negativity.

Rupert Neve: Let me just put a very provocative thought to you. The Japanese showed me some time ago that the brain produces electric radiations in the presence of different emotions and emotional stimuli6. If you listen to an analogue music signal that is good quality, with no crossover distortion and no digital sampling, it can be a very satisfying experience. And as you start listening to it, you do the thing which us older ones have done for a long time-you come home after a long, hard day, put your feet up. Even if the record is a bit scratchy, you can listen to it and enjoy it and relax. But you can't do that any longer.

Greg Simmons: Because of the distortions of CD's and cheap transistor circuitry?

Rupert Neve: The Japanese have shown, and in fact a lot of us are accepting quite happily, that these distortions-first of all the lack of music-related frequencies above 20kHz-actually produce a different form of brain radiation. They produce the kind associated with discomfort, frustration, even anger. I am wondering whether we can blame the CD for some of our social problems.

Greg Simmons: That is a very provocative thought...

Rupert Neve: You can talk to others, it's not just me. Talk to George Massenburg, for instance, and he will tell you exactly the same thing. He used to be able to come home and listen to a record, and relax. Now all he does is feel restless and frustrated and switch it off, because it's a CD. So you get some young person who already feeling frustrated in society, an angry young man perhaps, and he is listening to CD's and digital sound sources 99 percent of the time, and...you know, I wonder whether there is a connection there.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: August 5, 2013 20:26

I want to buy the Lossless version but it is not available in the United Kingdom.

Anyone know if the version on kat is the true lossless version or the aac version converted?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: August 5, 2013 22:46

vudicus
I want to buy the Lossless version but it is not available in the United Kingdom.

Anyone know if the version on kat is the true lossless version or the aac version converted?

I've checked and it looks like the same version as the one on Qobuz. Strangely though, it's said to be CD sourced. As far I know there's still no CD edition of Hyde Park Live.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: August 5, 2013 23:35

kowalski
vudicus

I've checked and it looks like the same version as the one on Qobuz. Strangely though, it's said to be CD sourced. As far I know there's still no CD edition of Hyde Park Live.

Cool, thanks for letting me know.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: August 17, 2013 04:59

Hyde Park Live is #3 on Qobuz download charts [www.qobuz.com]

and #1 on Qobuz Pop/Rock charts [www.qobuz.com]

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1716
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home