Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Hyde Park Live available in true lossless quality on Qobuz
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 27, 2013 12:32

Hyde Park Live is now available in various formats, including true lossless quality, on Qobuz : [www.qobuz.com]

Also available on Amazon encoded in 256kbps MP3 : [www.amazon.fr]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-29 01:59 by kowalski.

Re: Hyde Park Live available on French Amazon
Posted by: Adams ()
Date: July 27, 2013 15:44

lossless=awesome!

Re: Hyde Park Live available on French Amazon
Date: July 27, 2013 15:56

Adams
lossless=awesome!

In deed!

Wondering what happened to the so called iTunes 4 weeks exclusivity though ?

Re: Hyde Park Live available on French Amazon and in true lossless quality on Qobuz
Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: July 27, 2013 15:59

Did anyone buy this already and can tell if it's a real lossless version?
The download is only available in CD Quality 16bit 44,1 kHz. If it is not unconverted from the iTunes files it is a step in the right direction.

Re: Hyde Park Live available on French Amazon and in true lossless quality on Qobuz
Date: July 27, 2013 16:46

henrik87
Did anyone buy this already and can tell if it's a real lossless version?
The download is only available in CD Quality 16bit 44,1 kHz. If it is not unconverted from the iTunes files it is a step in the right direction.

All downloads on Qobuz are available in CD quality. I've been buying from them for years now and never had any issues with files quality.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 27, 2013 17:25

Hopefully someone can report back on whether these files are truly lossless or not. I do not mind paying for mp3s though. Google Play's releases were great fun and the format did not detract. The over-compressed mastering DID detract! Comparing Hampton to Still Life, the sound is just completely night and day. Still Life = open and airy. Hampton from last year's release is compressed and thin.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 27, 2013 17:50

Logical conclusion = Itunes is the Walmart of music shops (you can find everything there but in cheap quality).

Itunes = the enemy of audiophiles.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 27, 2013 17:59

iTunes = poop

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 27, 2013 18:48

Seems this is only available in France. Anyone knows if it's available in other countries?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 27, 2013 18:51

Oh, I'm so, so happy for you all. Don't go crazy, now winking smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 27, 2013 19:00

frankotero

Seems this is only available in France. Anyone knows if it's available in other countries?

Try to use a free anonymous proxy server from France in your web browser or network settings (e. g. www.freeproxylists.net). The proxy trick worked for me as I wanted to buy the HD-24bit-version of GRRR! from Qobuz.com, but I'm not in France.

Posted by: DECCA61 ()
Date: July 27, 2013 20:19

I just checked te preview audio at QOBUZ.COM but the iTunes download sounds much better !

DECCA61

Date: July 27, 2013 20:26

DECCA61
I just checked te preview audio at QOBUZ.COM but the iTunes download sounds much better !

DECCA61

The audio preview is mp3 encoded. Plus you can't compare music played from an internet browser and a dedicated audio player such as iTunes...

Date: July 27, 2013 20:30

So is it true lossless?

Date: July 27, 2013 20:49

Munichhilton
So is it true lossless?

Yes.

Date: July 27, 2013 20:59

kowalski
Munichhilton
So is it true lossless?

Yes.

Fantastic...hopefully not 'mastered for iTunes'...

Date: July 27, 2013 22:53

Munichhilton
kowalski
Munichhilton
So is it true lossless?

Yes.

Fantastic...hopefully not 'mastered for iTunes'...

Just the same as what you get on a regular CD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-27 23:00 by kowalski.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: July 28, 2013 08:20

Sorry folks, if it's encoded 16bit 44.1 kHz, it's not lossless. That's just the early 1980's version of compressed digital audio.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 28, 2013 10:08

If my knowledge serves me right, WAV, FLAC and Apple Lossless files are uncompressed(the Lossless) formats.
MP3 and FLAC are worlds apart as far as L.A. Friday and Brussels Affair are concerned.

Date: July 28, 2013 10:43

so ... did anyone compare the quality between the lossless or the itunes download .. ????

Date: July 28, 2013 10:44

The audio engineer would have recorded the Hyde Park shows in 24/96 or even 24/192. The 16/44.1 "lossless" files like on CDs are a lossy copy of the source. The Mastered For iTunes AAC files mastered from the same source are more efficiently compressed. People can't hear the difference.

We don't know the process followed to create the mp3's on Stones Archive. Quite possibly they encoded them of the FLAC files. That's poor form.

Date: July 28, 2013 11:59

studiorambo
The audio engineer would have recorded the Hyde Park shows in 24/96 or even 24/192. The 16/44.1 "lossless" files like on CDs are a lossy copy of the source. The Mastered For iTunes AAC files mastered from the same source are more efficiently compressed. People can't hear the difference.

Most likely it was recorded in 24 bits/48kHz. That's how are recorded most albums nowadays. But even if it was recorded on a 24/96 format, a resampled file at 16bits/44.1kHz will still sound better than a compressed file at 256kbps (like the iTunes files). There's a difference between resampling and audio compression. When resampling at 44,1kHz you keep all information intact under 22kHz, while when you compress a file in a lossy format there's some information lost forever - hence the name, lossy format.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-28 12:00 by kowalski.

Date: July 28, 2013 12:28

again please ... . did anyone compare the quality between the lossless or the itunes download .. ????

DECCA61

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 28, 2013 15:29

studiorambo
The audio engineer would have recorded the Hyde Park shows in 24/96 or even 24/192.

I guess they are using KORG MR-2000S (5.6448MHz /1-Bit) Recorder for live recordings.
Even bootleggers do this nowadays.winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-28 15:35 by Toru A.

Date: July 28, 2013 15:50

kowalski

Most likely it was recorded in 24 bits/48kHz. That's how are recorded most albums nowadays. But even if it was recorded on a 24/96 format, a resampled file at 16bits/44.1kHz will still sound better than a compressed file at 256kbps (like the iTunes files).

There is a loss of information when the 24 bit source is reduced to 16, so the CD is a lossy format, but nobody cares as they can't hear it. Just as nobody can tell a CD from an iTunes AAC file.

The last time the industry made a push with high res audio ( SACD, DVD-A), 99.99% of audible improvement came from the improved mastering by the sound guys preparing the re-releases, and consumers buying upgraded audio gear to try and hear it. People would be far better off advocating for better mastering than throwing away their bandwidth on inaudible noise.

Date: July 28, 2013 16:12

DECCA61
again please ... . did anyone compare the quality between the lossless or the itunes download .. ????

DECCA61

When compared to the lossless version available on Qobuz, the iTunes release sounds thiner with less details. The difference is not big as the "mastering for iTunes" is very well done. But you can hear it on appropriate equipement or with trained ears. That's why I'd say the difference is more a matter of comfort. But at least now customers have a choice (you can even get a mp3 version encoded at 320kbps on Qobuz).

Date: July 28, 2013 17:03

thanks kowalski for making things more clear .

DECCA61

Date: July 28, 2013 17:31

DECCA61
thanks kowalski for making things more clear .

DECCA61

Listening again to both versions with headphones, the iTunes version sounds like it has been softened. Which can be very pleasing for some ears. On the Qobuz version guitars are sharper for example.

Date: July 29, 2013 01:56

studiorambo
kowalski

Most likely it was recorded in 24 bits/48kHz. That's how are recorded most albums nowadays. But even if it was recorded on a 24/96 format, a resampled file at 16bits/44.1kHz will still sound better than a compressed file at 256kbps (like the iTunes files).

There is a loss of information when the 24 bit source is reduced to 16, so the CD is a lossy format, but nobody cares as they can't hear it. Just as nobody can tell a CD from an iTunes AAC file.

The last time the industry made a push with high res audio ( SACD, DVD-A), 99.99% of audible improvement came from the improved mastering by the sound guys preparing the re-releases, and consumers buying upgraded audio gear to try and hear it. People would be far better off advocating for better mastering than throwing away their bandwidth on inaudible noise.

I totally agree with you about the importance of a proper mastering. Nowadays mastering are just absurd as they remove every bit of life from music by compressing dynamics to death.

This said, a 24 bit file sounds better than a 16 bit file. It's smoother, less harsh on the ears. So, again, it's a matter of comfort.

Also, on a good equipement, some people can hear the difference between iTunes AAC files and CD quality files. That's why I think we should have the right to choose what is best for our ears.

Posted by: AP ()
Date: July 30, 2013 10:05

It is available in lossless quality on musicme also:

[www.musicme.com]

I believe this offer is not limited to France only.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1354
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home