Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Magic Sam! The Stones are calling you!
Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: April 13, 2005 04:38

Lately (now even), I've been listening to Magic Sam , (The Essential Magic Sam, Fuel2000 Records), these are recordings originally done for the Cobra and Chief labels, and there are a couple of songs that just scream, Stones cover me! The main one is "All Your Love. There's some bullshit stuff on here too, but, a few of the tunes would make a great Stones cover.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-13 04:40 by RankOutsider.

Re: Magic Sam! The Stones are calling you!
Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: April 13, 2005 04:49

Great find!

Have you not heard West Side Soul and Black Magic?

Incredible, incredible albums. Not as "heavy" blues, these albums typically swing a bit more, but are true classics of the blues.

I even listen to M Sam's Ann Arbour Blues Festival live album, which sounds like it was recorded on a dictation machine.

Among my favorite videos are two clips of M Sam on American Folk Blues Music Festival volume 2. The Magic Sam songs are bonus items. Stunning.

(Mick Taylor used to do M Sam's Easy Baby. I haven't heard it though.)

Date: April 13, 2005 04:59

No, I have not heard the recordings you mention but will check them out thanks! When were they recorded? Can you here the Stones doing "All Your Love? I think it's perfect for Mick and the whole Stones take on the blues.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 13, 2005 05:10

Lately I've been digging deep into the American roots as well.
Recent listenings include:

1. The Essential Otis Rush - The Classic Cobra Recordings

2. Little Milton Anthology 1953-61

3. Negro Prison and Blues Songs (Recorded live at the Mississippi and Lousiana State Penitentiaries by Alan Lomax)

4. Little Walter - Confessin' The Blues

5. Junior Wells - Hoodoo Man Blues

These are all essential listening for all who want some insight into where and how the Stones began their early blues style meshed with a rock and roll background.

After seeing Dylan again and reminiscing about my musical history and heritage, it seemed the right time to do some musical soul searching, coupled with the fact regarding the upcoming Stones tour possibly being their grand farewell. Sad news if it's true, but maybe it's the best for them. They've given us their best, and it might be asking too much of them to continue as The Rolling Stones.

The above mentioned Blues Masters I'm listening to survived their long careers and musical integrity and longevity by being on their own...solo. To think and expect the Stones to keep touring as the solid unit we know them (Mick, Keith, Charlie, (and Ronnie)), and to have high expectations as to the quality of concerts, is asking a bit too much I'd say. They're only human. Maybe Keith could do a small theater tour of blues tunes on his own after the Stones are over. Or maybe Mick doing a duet type series of shows featuring Mariah Carey, Justin Timberlake...or anybody he feels like doing disco songs with. That sounds more realistic and reasonable to me, and somethiing that would make alot more sense. Maybe not the best ideas, but seeing Keith solo sounds a bit more intriguing to me at this point than watching the Stones attempt these gigantic stadium tours. Sure, I'll be first in line for the Stones when the tickets are announced...but it will be hard to avoid comparisons of some of the great moments from their past highlights. I'm sure the stage and special effect will be the best as usual, but the musicianship and showmanship is my main concern.

I say they make it official and end it all gracefully. Grand Finale Tour!!! We all know 'em and we love'em as the History of Rock and Rolls Greatest band...(along with the Beatles)...and thats the way it should stay.

Date: April 13, 2005 05:20

What about the Magic Sam song? LOL

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 13, 2005 05:28

Rank also try and find this later clasic from Magic Sam

Magic Sam - West Side Soul- Delmark

Keith has recorded a couple of Little Walter tracks over the years

Key To The Highway although a Broonzy track Keith version based more on the Lil Walter version. High Temperature a great Little Walter track with lyrics that would actually suit Mick better.

Keith version found on

High Temperature - VGP 285

ROCKMAN

Date: April 13, 2005 05:30

Yeah yeah rank All Your Love is a mighty blues track....Otis Rush also cut a couple great version also.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: April 13, 2005 06:33

The Otis Rush and Magic Sam "All Your Love" songs are two different songs though I think both were released on Cobra.

West Side Soul and Black Magic were released circa 1966-67.

As much as it would be nice to hear the Stones do blues covers and, if the songs they write are anything like the songs they've written on the last several studio cuts they've released, I'd probably prefer blues covers, I would much rather hear what the MJ/KR team have to say for themselves these days, especially after Mr Richards' return to some roots music lately. I don't expect them to reach the heights of their best songwriting days, but I'd like them to return to their songwriting glory and it seems more likely to find gems if there are more original items to choose from.

Taylor has played Easy Baby a few times in his career.

Good pick on those old blues recordings. This weekend I dug out the Junior Wells, Buddy Guy, Bill Wyman disc. Lots of fun.

Date: April 13, 2005 15:48

<High Temperature a great Little Walter track with lyrics that would actually suit Mick better.>

Also recorded by Aerosmith on "Honkin' On Bobo" - great version!

Also, check out "The Complete Library Of Congress Recordings" which Lomax did with Leadbelly. This is really great stuff!

Date: April 13, 2005 16:00

Yeah thanks for the tip Dandelion...I have a lot of Lomax's LOC recordings on vinyl plus there is a couple of really nice Leadbelly Blues sets Blues and Definitive on the Catfish label but sadly they have folded..but maybe still available at certain outlets. Worth tracking down

ROCKMAN

Date: April 13, 2005 16:32

I think there are 6 Leadbelly-CDs in the LOCR.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 13, 2005 18:43

Sam was something of an original. He wasn't another of the dyed-in-wool southsiders. He was from the west side, where there was more of a soul influence to the blues. great voice, great songwriter, great guitarist. he passed much too soon. i think robert cray has essentially taken up his legacy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2175
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home