Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Inspiration for odd country songs
Posted by: MisterD ()
Date: April 13, 2005 00:48

I was wondering how the Stones came to write such songs as Dear Doctor, Factory Girl during the Beggars recording? At that point in time the Stones were still young very English blokes. Maybe that's the reason. They could relate to the hills of West Virginia. Still I find it funny that at such a young age they wrote songs taking a piss on Americana. They must of had some really good American pot in the studio with them. Was that record recorded in England?

Re: Inspiration for odd country songs
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 13, 2005 01:00

Yep both recorded at Olympic Studios London. Mick & Keith were also listening to a lot of pre-war country blues around that time.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: April 13, 2005 03:49

I love those songs, they're almost, (or are), bluegrass.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Date: April 13, 2005 04:22

Sort of Blue Grass but more Green Grass, as in pot.
What did the boys know about America in 67-68 anyhow?
I love those songs though.
"Waiting for a girl who's got curler's in her hair. Waiting for girl, she no money anywhere."

Date: April 13, 2005 04:30

I've alway's heard that the country stuff comes via Keith, and the songs you refer to were written even before he was hanging out with Gram Parsons.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: April 13, 2005 04:43

I don't think that they were "taking a piss on Americana". Most American Bluegrass and country music is done very tongue in cheek and the Stones were doing the same.Hank Williams recorded a lot of his songs with a smile and a wink (Honky Tonk Blues, Hey Good Lookin') The Stones did it with High and Dry as well. As far as the Stones and country is concerned, one of their first recordings was a Hank Snow song.

As far as what did they know about America.....well they knew more about American "roots" music than many Americans did! ANd they knew back in 1964

Keith of course is completely straight

Date: April 13, 2005 05:53

You're right about that. They did know more about Americana music than most US citizens. Good point.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: April 13, 2005 14:33

MisterD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You're right about that. They did know more about
> Americana music than most US citizens. Good point.

I'm curious as to the information upon which you're basing this statement. I mean, why is it called "Americana"? Somebody made Hank Williams and Ernest Tubb famous, and I suspect that it was US citizens.

I also disagree with the statement above that Country music is "tongue-in-cheek", generally speaking. Jagger seems to share this opinion, and often delivers country-styled vocals in a smirking, mocking style (Far Away Eyes, Dear Doctor). Keith, however, is obviously a lover of "real" Country. The best things I've heard him do in the last 30 years are The Worst, You Win Again (Hank Williams tribute album), and Say It's Not You (duet with George Jones on the Bradley Barn Sessions).

Also, the Stones have never done anything remotely close to bluegrass. Try a little Lester Flatt, Ralph Stanley, or Bill Monroe for the real thing. Bela Fleck will do in a pinch also.

Karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Date: April 13, 2005 14:44

Keith and Norah Jones on Love Hurts was excellent too.

Date: April 13, 2005 17:34

KSIE, If Factory Girl is not "remotely" close to bluegrass then what is it?

And, I'm afraid I agree with the above posts, most people I know don't know shit about American "roots" music. They are either in one box or the other, they don't have a clue as to how it all relates, or, where it came from.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-13 17:36 by RankOutsider.

Date: April 13, 2005 17:47

RankOutsider Wrote:
> KSIE, If Factory Girl is not "remotely" close to
> bluegrass then what is it?
>
> And, I'm afraid I agree with the above posts, most
> people I know don't know shit about American
> "roots" music. They are either in one box or the
> other, they don't have a clue as to how it all
> relates, or, where it came from.
>

Factory Girl = Folk Blues IMHO

Karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Posted by: mark ()
Date: April 13, 2005 18:41

Good American pot? In the 60's/70's? Mid to late 70's maybe? Check your herb history, they were importers. Try Turkish, Columbian and then Mexican, we Canucks got into the market late.

Date: April 13, 2005 21:12

I must plead ignorant on my pot history. But the turkish hash thing sounds about right for a bunch of english boys in the late 60's.

Posted by: mark ()
Date: April 14, 2005 02:03

Just ribbing you MisterD. The US first had to pay Turkey to outlaw pot because of smuggling. I'm trying to think if it was the Mexicans that tried next but met the same fate as N Vietnam and got sprayed, then if I recall Columbia picked up the slack. We Canuks thought we could fool the federalies by coming in the other way. I think it was the post war, Califorina thing in the mid to late 70's that brought the US up to speed.

On my honeymoon in the winter of 78 we tripped through Humbolt County, the famous California growing area. It was a cold, rainy Sunday morning we went to the only cafe at the time for breakfast. At the counter were three guys with long hair, beards and coveralls, just the right age to be vets (known growers, looked like the CCR drummer). At a table was an old couple obviously long time residents. All of a sudden the old couple gets very vocal, denoucing the new element in town giving the area a bad name. The three guys at the counter never looked up while the old couple barked at them for half an hour. I was killing myself....these were the guys you saw on the news, the hard cores that boobytrapped plantaions, eluded the FBI. The locals knew who they were and we were the only outsiders to witness the one sided confrentation.

Date: April 14, 2005 03:43

OK, folkblues then, I love it. Maybe Keith will treat us on the new Album. Oh, I just thought of another song! how would you class "Country Honk" off of Let It Bleed?

Date: April 15, 2005 07:33

RankOutsider Wrote:
> OK, folkblues then, I love it. Maybe Keith will
> treat us on the new Album. Oh, I just thought of
> another song! how would you class "Country Honk"
> off of Let It Bleed?
>
> HARD KNOX AND DURTY SOX, MAKES THE BOYS WANNA ROCK

Allright, I'll give you that one. :-)

Fantastic fiddle (Vassar Clements) on that one. Vassar is one of Bluegrass' greats.

Karl

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home