Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Brian Wilson Sound Check
Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: July 25, 2013 00:02

Thought a few would be interested in this from the other night.

Re: OT: Brian Wilson Sound Check
Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: July 25, 2013 01:02

I'm not a huge fan of the BB's but I really like "Do it Again".

Posted by: ash ()
Date: July 25, 2013 01:34

Thanks for posting that.
Brian's band are probably the best band in the universe on some levels. Their ability to reproduce the Pet Sounds and Smile albums on stage...well all i can say is i've seen him 30 times and if you haven't seen the Brian Wilson band you must. They now have Al Jardine and Dave Marks from the Beach Boys added...even if you don't like surf music, to watch this band in action is a joy. They are always brilliant. Musically and vocally. Sometimes Brian shows up and sings his heart out - then it tips over the edge. When you think of everything he's been through it's an emotional trip.
For those of you here who don't understand...imagine if you went to a Stones concert and Jagger came on and said " awlright cool it. Ok we got a friend of ours who's gonna join in on some numbers, playing the whole of Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street and for an encore the Let It Bleed album here's our good friend Mister Mick Taylor." cue applause
"and to give you a bit of historical background, our new bass player Mister Bill Wyman."
"ok if any of you tapers wanna make your way to the front we got wi fi from the soundboard available for anyone who wants a video or audio copy of tonights show as a souvenir to take home. We'll give you a few minutes to sort yourselves out while we all go backstage and get a bit loosened up , right Keith ."

When Brian and the band play Smile and Pet Sounds, that's how good it is.
I hope i've explained myself clearly.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: July 25, 2013 03:46

I've always thought it would be cool to see the Stones do a concert with his band and maybe an orchestra. I watched some of them when they backed the Zombies O&O album shows. Do all the 60s songs with the crazy instruments that Brian had alot to do with. Bring MT and do Time Waits For No One, MM, Winter and any of the older ones with the orchestral backing. Let the audience know ahead of time that this wouldn't be the typical Stones show.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: July 25, 2013 06:38

ash
Thanks for posting that.
Brian's band are probably the best band in the universe on some levels. Their ability to reproduce the Pet Sounds and Smile albums on stage...well all i can say is i've seen him 30 times and if you haven't seen the Brian Wilson band you must. They now have Al Jardine and Dave Marks from the Beach Boys added...even if you don't like surf music, to watch this band in action is a joy. They are always brilliant. Musically and vocally. Sometimes Brian shows up and sings his heart out - then it tips over the edge. When you think of everything he's been through it's an emotional trip.
For those of you here who don't understand...imagine if you went to a Stones concert and Jagger came on and said " awlright cool it. Ok we got a friend of ours who's gonna join in on some numbers, playing the whole of Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street and for an encore the Let It Bleed album here's our good friend Mister Mick Taylor." cue applause
"and to give you a bit of historical background, our new bass player Mister Bill Wyman."
"ok if any of you tapers wanna make your way to the front we got wi fi from the soundboard available for anyone who wants a video or audio copy of tonights show as a souvenir to take home. We'll give you a few minutes to sort yourselves out while we all go backstage and get a bit loosened up , right Keith ."

Well put -- the Brian Wilson Band shows I've attended are about the best I have ever seen.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: July 25, 2013 07:39

Wry Cooter
ash
Thanks for posting that.

Well put -- the Brian Wilson Band shows I've attended are about the best I have ever seen.

I completely agree.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 25, 2013 12:25

I saw the "Smile" show & it was quite good. Excellent musicians & setlist. He is playing the Greek in LA soon with Jeff Beck opening. Beck is also going to perform with Brian. That could be something!

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: July 25, 2013 14:18

Closest I've had to a 'religious experience' at a gig was at the debut performance of Smile at the Festival Hall in London. The atmosphere was truly incredible. And from the moment the band kicked in with Our Prayer to the spine-tingling end of Cabinessence, I swear not one person in the whole place took a breath.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: July 25, 2013 16:41

I saw Brian on his Smile tour, as well. I was 7th row on the floor. Roll73, your description is spot on.

Posted by: Jayce ()
Date: July 25, 2013 17:34

Brian is on/off in concert. But when he is on, he is stunning. Best show I have ever seen, in fact. Would have NEVER imagined that from him.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: July 25, 2013 18:38

That was truely enjoyable, thank you for posting! I saw the Beach Boys 50th reunion and as good as that was Brian with Al Jardine and Dave Marks and his band sound like a much better prospect. And maybe even Jeff Beck!

Posted by: ash ()
Date: July 25, 2013 18:40

Roll73
Closest I've had to a 'religious experience' at a gig was at the debut performance of Smile at the Festival Hall in London. The atmosphere was truly incredible. And from the moment the band kicked in with Our Prayer to the spine-tingling end of Cabinessence, I swear not one person in the whole place took a breath.

i was there too (every night !). I don't expect to go to a better show in my life.
It was a religious experience.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: July 25, 2013 22:24

Good to see Jardine in there. Does he ever age? Saw Brian in Oakland a few years back. When those songs hit the chorus and all the instruments are in the groove and all the harmonies in place...Whew! Talk about a "wall of sound!" It was tremendous. At the end of the show you could feel the love for this fragile and gentle hearted artist.

I have said before...Growing up in LA, in the '60's, as a teenager...There is probably no music that I took more for granted than those wonderful BB songs. Those songs were inseparable from your existence. Cars, school, girls, the beach, love, your place in the world, your hopes and dreams...It was all there. We were all living it and to some extent still are. The context has changed, but many of the issues remain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-25 23:28 by pmk251.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 26, 2013 03:15

Cool stuff - oh yeah, Al must have found the Fountian of Youth!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1621
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home