Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

New issue of Stonesplanet out today
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 11, 2005 22:32

[www.stonesplanet.com]

Theres is also an o l d (note!) issue (no 9/2002) for free (pdf)
with articles like "Dartford residents dont think much of Sir Mick"
and some stuff on the latest announced world tour.

Re: New issue of Stonesplanet out today
Date: April 11, 2005 22:46

Sorry, wrong link;
link above is to the free old issue;
the new issue (no 16) with info and articles (I s'pose)
on new album-making is to be found at [www.stonesplanet.com]

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: April 12, 2005 16:08

'Rolling Stones to open new Wembley Stadium'.....aint that only a rumour!?!?!

Date: April 12, 2005 16:16

Wonder what Gazza says.
I believe there was a rumour on a Wembley gig in 05; but you often see this info of Wembley & Stones & 06 & opening. Dont know...

Date: April 12, 2005 16:33

It's just that the Sun kinda mentioned the same thing yesterday....

Date: April 12, 2005 16:59

From time to time maybe even the Sun may publish something that´s true... ?
BTW on Rocks Off Gazza seem to have confirmed the opening date of World Tour in Boston. Believe it´s 21st of August.

Date: April 12, 2005 17:13

Oooooooh I see......so it aint officially confirmed yet but is now true?? Amazing what happens in 24 hours....

Date: April 12, 2005 17:16

Gazzas sources are like God´s ways.
But, seriously, he seems to have heard around and the group´s management is said to have asked for permission on dates Aug 21 and 23 or slt (see Rocks Off for details). I´m pretty sure he´s going in here tonight (CET) and say his things.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 12, 2005 17:24

To be fair, I didnt confirm it or anything else for that matter!

The 'Boston as opener' story has been pretty much common knowledge now on various Stones sites (including this one) for a couple of weeks. Only now is the press mentioning it - and their various stories are just rehashing other ones. It's hardly rocket science, after all. I'm not stating anything that isn't already widely believed to be accurate

Re: the above Wembley 05 rumour. There never was one as it's been common knowledge for a couple of years that the stadium wont be open until spring 2006.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-12 17:25 by Gazza.

Date: April 12, 2005 17:51

I dont know if I or one or two other users here did mix up the two "arenas" Wembley and Hyde Park;
not all of us operate in England, you know. "Common knowledge" varies from time to time and definitely also geographically.

But - what do you say, Gazza: May Wembley be just a rumour or is it plausible, within reality´s boundaries that such a gig will take place?

Date: April 13, 2005 00:50

I think they will play Wembley Stadium in 2006 - yes. I would bet my house on it, to be honest.

Home city, most famous stadium in the world (well..a rebuilt version of it) and the prestige surrounding being the first band to play there is too obvious an opportunity to miss.

I doubt it'll be anywhere near the end of the tour though if its in June, as some reports have speculated. that would mean a very early start to a European tour which would make no sense as stadiums are only really available from late May into August.

Actually, there arent that many suitable stadiums to play concerts in in London, which has been evident by the lack of outdoor shows held in the capital since the old Wembley closed in 2000. Most of the football stadiums never tend to be used for shows. Springsteen played the Crystal Palace athletics stadium in 2003 but its notoriously poor for public transport access. The Stones werent actually going to originally play a stadium show in London on the licks tour (the original blurb was cardiff's Millennium stadium which is NOWHERE near London, and not even in England) but they got special permission to play Twickenham which was previously off limits for concerts. The Rugby Football Union insisted that the pitch area would be seated to protect the turf. had they not got permission to play Twickenham they may not have played a stadium show at all in london on the last tour (Twickenham itself is actually outside the capital, anyway).

The new Wembley will be easily the most suitable stadium in london for concerts in the future. Whilst the public transport access wasnt that great for the previous version, hopefully it'll be improved. Its also more accessible than Twickenham is.

I think Twickenham is also restricted to being used for concerts to one or two shows per year. Brent Council allowed Wembley to stage TWELVE shows per year.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-13 01:02 by Gazza.

Date: April 13, 2005 02:06

I´m childishly delighted when thread titles blow away like here...
Thanks, Gazza. A real, nice, developed & detailed answer.
...Hey man! Maybe we could visit you (three-four vikings - not yet NordicStonesVikings,
maybe we´ll be that at the time? - and two or three 'Wi(ld)-Kids':
not really, cool young globe citizens) during my half work-/
half pleasure (read: Stones fan journey) trip to the blessed City at the Thames... ??
We would try to gather some Stones and/or stonesrelated figures for some serious
interviewing mainly for radio, but problem is that I booked hotel at the 27-29th of August...
Got f****d up by the goddam gossip of Hyde Park. Yep, I know you´re likely to be in Massachussetts
in late August. Yet we have to reconsider the schedule (maybe we´ll come later in the autumn).
Sources I dont want to reveal spoke of Göteborg as the most plausible gig in Sweden; that´s where I hit the Stones then.
.....Summary: We´re going to London, would you join us for an ale & a stroll along Edith Grove? (We´re also planning a trip to the contryside, towards Devonshire horse-district maybe, pass Chichester most certainly; and I dont think we can avoid seeing
Winnie-the-Poohs house and the 100-acres-forest).

Date: April 13, 2005 02:31

LOL

well, I live in Belfast - not London. If I did live in London, I'd be only too happy to oblige of course.

I wont be in Boston for the opening shows, though. If I do go to the US (and I'm not sure yet - depends on the size of shows/ticket prices etc) it'll probably be New York again.

Date: April 13, 2005 02:52

Ok. Got my messy, mix-up day today (-nite).
Sorry. So, you´re 'Ulstrian'(?), from Northern Ireland?
I visited the Republic three times 1988, 89 and 91.
Closest I got. Like the old viking cities in SE BTW.
I saw you at a pic at RO from London without realizing
(& I´ve only been into this biz about half a year).

In any cases I´ll drop by at Kent´s this summer
while I´m in Denmark.
I check up if you happen to be in London between flights
or between pints, right?

(BTW what does an Irishman -? - think of ol´ Phillip Lynott
and his little group?)... Or, closer to N-I: Van Morrison.
I´m a real freak for Lizzy, but more modest on VM myself.

...Well past bedtime in my time zone (1 h later than Belfast):
See you ab. tomorrow afternoon!

Date: April 13, 2005 04:29

Baboon Bro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok. Got my messy, mix-up day today (-nite).
> Sorry. So, you´re 'Ulstrian'(?), from Northern
> Ireland?

Ulsterman/ Northern Irish. Close enough!

> I visited the Republic three times 1988, 89 and
> 91.
> Closest I got. Like the old viking cities in SE
> BTW.

we have a few old viking towers in the north too!

> I saw you at a pic at RO from London without
> realizing
> (& I´ve only been into this biz about half a
> year).
>
> In any cases I´ll drop by at Kent´s this summer
> while I´m in Denmark.
> I check up if you happen to be in London
> between flights
> or between pints, right?

ok..lol
>
> (BTW what does an Irishman -? - think of ol´
> Phillip Lynott
> and his little group?)...

they were a fine band. Phil was a great guy and he's still sadly missed and fondly remembered. Thin Lizzy were one of the few bands who played here in the 70's and early 80's when most bands wouldnt come. Gary Moore is from the same part of Belfast as I am.

Or, closer to N-I: Van
> Morrison.

well...Van is actually from Belfast too. He was born 3 streets from me and we attended the same school. I'm even more grumpy than he is, but much younger and more handsome however...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 13, 2005 05:39

Hey Gazza do you know a guy from Belfast named Paddy?

ROCKMAN

Date: April 13, 2005 11:48

yes...and do you know a guy in Wagga Wagga called Bruce?

Date: April 13, 2005 13:40

Seriously; how many Irishmen and Ulstermen/Northern Irish are there who carries the name Paddy Moloney? It must be like John Smith in GB or Per Olsson in Sweden/Ole Möller in Dk. But how common is Sinèad in Eire or Ulster?

Date: April 13, 2005 14:16

Baboon Bro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seriously; how many Irishmen and
> Ulstermen/Northern Irish are there who carries the
> name Paddy Moloney?

none that I know of. Moloney isnt that common a name actually. Most people in Northern Ireland would have Scottish ancestry, so Scottish sounding surnames (eg Campbell, Stewart, McDonald etc) would be more common than Irish ones. I dont think Maloney (more common)/Moloney would be in the 100 most common surnames here. Patrick/Paddy wouldnt be as common in the north as it is in the south as it's a name more usually found in Catholic families, where it would probably be one of the most common first names for boys.

It must be like John Smith in
> GB or Per Olsson in Sweden/Ole Möller in Dk.
But
> how common is Sinèad in Eire or Ulster?

depends on the religion of the parents. In Catholic families, reasonably common. Protestant families dont tend to give their children Irish names.

There's your socio-political lesson for the day. I think we've got slightly off topic and apologies for boring everyone else rigid...lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-13 14:19 by Gazza.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 13, 2005 14:57

Hi Gazza, I wasn't aware that you are up in Belfast. Always thought you guys ruled Dublin. Where are the other two from the Rocks Off triumvirate?

Date: April 13, 2005 15:30

Mexico City and Denver.

We're quite the multi-national company!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 13, 2005 15:33

I know two Bruces.....Bruce the Garbo and Bruce the Human Bear.

ROCKMAN

Date: April 13, 2005 20:53

Gazza "yes...and do you know a guy in Wagga Wagga called Bruce?" ... grinning smiley

Thanks for facts etc. I know a Protestant reverend from either Doblin or Belfast and his name is John Rochford. He looks a bit like John Cleese, but much shorter.

I also apologize for leavin´ the relevant (??) topic.

Still; an amusing talk. Still I believe most Irishmen´s names Paddy Moloney.
smiling smiley Paul Hewson is another common name. As is Brian Downey.
Couldnt anyone make a new thread on the Dubliners or pubs near River Liffey?

Sorry again.lol lol lol to me

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: April 13, 2005 21:11

Ahh, Brian Downey, that name brings back a memory or two. Like drinking beer with Phil Lynott. My favorite hard rock band, Thin Lizzy!

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: April 13, 2005 21:23

Hey, Ville... Me & Magnus Stones-Obsessed from Gubbängen are makin a Ove-safari at some suitable time this year. Spring or fall. I bring my Lizzy-records & you get the gramophone and cd-player etc. huh?
Made two shows on Lizzy at the same radio station as the Stones shows. Did you see them in ´83?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1823
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home